Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 04:25 PM
M°°K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

Thats a cool set up Mr.********. Must have cost a bomb and a bit.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:26 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Where could I find an annodized motor mount like that, looks awesome, will it fit a 540 can
Old 07-22-2009, 06:24 PM
LONGBOARDT3

TechyJoe.... I am not worth the 35c? ..[X(]...25c because instead of 35c? [][]
at the end a good deal on ebay I bought

- 2 x 2200mAh Max 35C 11.1v 3S Lipo Battery RC = 29$
- 7.4v 11.1v 2-3 Cell LiPo RC Battery Balance Charger BB .....7$
I think it's a good buy

I just need the motor and esc

********.. sorry but I do not understand that I mean the esc .....my configuration is best for the 60th?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:15 AM
RC Surfer

MOOK
I'm a Hobbest and it's more time into it than money. But now I have a board that has very little maintanace and runs back to back batterys without breaking down.

Surfcurls
That is a 540 motor in the picture and they are hand made along with the Fiberglass handlay up black rudder and cooling fins. I have motor mounts for "Dude"and Lisa boards.

Later Dudes
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53814.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1242084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42160.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1242085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92306.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1242086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15962.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1242087  
Old 07-23-2009, 11:05 PM
bordhead

i sure see alot of surfers with the 3 fin set up. whats the advantage or disadvantage to the stock v-fin?
Old 07-24-2009, 03:53 AM
LONGBOARDT3

I have seen this at a great price ... I suggest a good configuration and runtime?
motor
http://leadershobby.com/catalog/inde...8n18kai4cn3vv6
esc
http://leadershobby.com/catalog/prod...products_id=95

thank from spain
Old 07-24-2009, 08:12 AM
TechyJoe

RC Surfer

Nice boards..... Wow, obvious you spent time and care on these.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:37 PM
M°°K

Rc Surfer, have you even given the dude a tan? Maybe a bit of sunburn? Or is it my monitor?
Old 07-26-2009, 04:55 PM
TechyJoe

Has anyone lost/destroyed a motor due to salt water corrosion?

If so, what are the systems?

My motor is acting funny................. North Atlantic water is extremely salty........ Even the air is corrosive.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:24 AM
RC Surfer

TJ
what are your symptoms?
RC Surfer
Old 07-29-2009, 12:38 PM
TechyJoe

If I stop the motor, it seems to be hesitating before it starts spinning more than normal. It also seems to be a little slower then normal.

The battery may have been going bad because the next time I charged it, it died. This was a very new battery as well with only about 5 runs on it. Maybe it got wet?

Lisa is an extremely high maintenance chic
Old 07-29-2009, 02:03 PM
Nikis

Hello! I want to buy i surfer and i found in ebay for 79$. It'sBOARD SHARKS SURFER 27 MHZ REMOTE RADIO CONTROL R/C 3 CHANNELS PER FREQUENCY SELF PROPELLED READY TO RUN UNSINKABLE SELF RIGHTING WATER TOY. BRAND NEW IN FACTORY SEALED BOX. also i foundNEUW 757NQD Surfer2 High Speed Motor Typ 540erMotorAkku 1800mAh. i Don't know which is better. Or i need to buy more expensive. Thanks for helping
Old 07-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Yowza

TechyJoe -

It would sound more like a battery issue, maybe the current wasn't strong enough to kick the motor over until you gave it more 'throttle'. Plus it sounds like a dodgy battery, what type is it and how did you charge it (what charger). One of the cells may have died etc etc. So possibly no enough current to get the brushless going as it usually would.

I'd try your old battery in it again.

I've just got my lipo from ebay after waiting a month! I'm going to give that a run this weekend.

Also has anyone had any issues with the rudder cable bending when the servo pushes back on it to turn? Mine was having major troubles with this, so as a temp fix till I find something better i've carved a piece of wood with a 'runner' groove in it to keep the cable from bending. Worked a treat and I have had 3 runs now with no issue what-so-ever

I also brought some Shell Nautilus marine grease for the shaft. It seemed to take some speed off the surfer to begin with because it's pretty thick. Will see how it holds up over time. How often do you guys change the grease on your prop shafts???

Nikis -

Your best off reading through this whole ********forum, it will tell you everything you need to know and more. There a benefits and disadvantages to all ********s out there, it will depend on your budget, time and most of all patience to get one of these things working the way you want it.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:55 AM
RC Surfer

TJ
Yow man sounds right, Read up on charging, dead cells means over charge or charging to soon (battery is sill warm) after a run, and wuz-up with water in the board! A little water = NO run! BAD for everythig, everybody thats still runnimg, still is and has, run bone dry.

Yowza
Check out my rudder kit and here's a pick of my rudder hatch after 75+ runs just a couple small drops, See if you can fid them!

Later Dudes! [8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10665.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1246436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81593.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1246437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38695.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1246438  
Old 07-30-2009, 11:45 AM
M°°K

Hey Yowzer,

I'm looking at Grease too. Now you mentioned that some grease may be a bit thick, I'm gonna go for something normal. I was going to get 

This, but I think it may be a bit hardcore, so I'm gonna get some normal marine grease. I think thats what everyone uses, and they all seem to grease up almost every run.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:11 PM
Yowza

******** -

Thanks, yeah that yellow little 'bracket' thing that is holding your rudder wire/cable in place that isattached to the side of the board is exactly what i'm after. Without that or something similar to what i've done, the cable just bends when the servo pushes it back towards to back of the surfboard and causes a little delay in turning.

Is this something you made or brought? Also how do you find the single fin rudder as opposed to the stock bi-fin that all these boards come with? Does it hold in the water well?

M??K -

The reason for me buying grease was that I had quickly run out of the small tube of grease that came with the Kyosho surfer. The Shell Nautilus will be good, I have read on some other boat forums that this does the job well. It tends to be a little thicker than the grease that came with it, but it has a high rate for both water repelling and heat absorbsion.

I've also still go my flex drive cable which I haven't fitted yet, been too happy with having this thing running properly that I haven't had a chance to try it. I have a NQD surfer that i'm thinking of stripping right down and use that as a test board for trying different things.

Not sure if you'll be interested or not but I'min the process of building a website dedicated to these ********s since there isn't really on that is current apart from this forum. Just wanting to get a single locationfor all info and progress on them.Once it's up and running Iwill let you guys know. Also any suggestion of what you would like to see in a website for these little fellas would be great.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:01 AM
M°°K

Would be great to have a web dedicated to the surfdudes. You could have a 'leak' section somewhere.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:31 PM
RC Surfer

There is always this site. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RCsurfing It's been on the web for years and alot of info on leaks. Use thier search Type whatever you need to know.

Yow Dude
Yes I make parts for the surfers. That push rod and tube are larger than stock, it's needed to handle the load of the rudder under speed, and to seal the rudder box up good you need pressure on the rudders seals and stem, not much, but in the end coupled with water pressure thats on the fin everything needs to be heavy dudy. You'll need to upgrade the servo to 100+ in. oz toreque will make steering 100% at any speed! (I'm running 200in.oz metal gear)

As far as perforemance, anythig stiffer than the stock one helps. People have made rudders out of brass, aluminum, glued epoxy/fiberglass to the stock rudder, molded my fin (white fin)and filled it with a resin/ fiberglass mix that break, mine are a hand lay-up fiberglass w/ a pressed fiberglass shaft and are guanteed not to break. Designed with a Coanda bace that holds the tail in the water like the two little tab extentions on the stock rudder. Even the original designer of the RC Surfer has made a fiberglass double fin rudder without the two tabs.

Later Dudes BB [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 07-31-2009, 04:58 PM
bordhead

do you sell this set up?
ORIGINAL: RC Surfer

TJ
Yow man sounds right, Read up on charging, dead cells means over charge or charging to soon (battery is sill warm) after a run, and wuz-up with water in the board! A little water = NO run! BAD for everythig, everybody thats still runnimg, still is and has, run bone dry.

Yowza
Check out my rudder kit and here's a pick of my rudder hatch after 75+ runs just a couple small drops, See if you can fid them!

Later Dudes! [8D]
Old 08-01-2009, 09:57 PM
OBX_Rider

Iam new ro RC's of any kind, but getting into RC Surfer. Ibought a Boardshark and realized that the first time out it needed modifications. I see several posts on this forum with sucessful mods on boardsharks. I am prepared to gut out and start over. Can you help me with recommended parts?

- Motor
- Controler (if that is what you call it)
- battery
- Propeler
- Ruder (note my ruder does not snap back always in one direction). Do Ineed to replace this?
- wires, etc.
- Any instructions....

Anything that I need to make my dude zippy and

Idid notice that the movement of the dude is cool but useless so I disconnected the mechanical arm and fishing line. Iplan on plugging up the hole with epoxy and gluing his joints with epoxy. or JB weld.

I am a "full sized" surfer at the Outer Banks of North Carolina, but we have lots of GI Joe sized tube riding on our beaches. Ineed more power to pucnh through and catch waves. More battery life too.

Thanks for your help

Old 08-02-2009, 11:10 AM
TechyJoe

Guys

I think I found the culprit of my battery/motor issues. Its not my charger. I have an ICE digital charger - one of the best. But I have found the following issues:

1) Battery issues: One of my cooling hoses must of sprung a small hole and water was getting inside the electrics compartment. I think this got inside the battery.

2) Sticky motor issue: The motor mount must have bent some from all of the jumping of waves and miss aligned the motor to the shaft.

I'll need to rethink the motor mount to make it more sturdy.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:51 PM
M°°K

Thats good to know. I'll beef up mine when I get it from Mr.Surfcurls. Hopefully nothing is too damaged for you. Can't wait to recieve all my new goodies and get Dudette going.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:00 AM
M°°K

What is a good battery charger for a Nimh? I've looked at a few but there are so many options and its all a bit confusing?[&:]
Old 08-03-2009, 09:47 AM
TechyJoe

M��K

Depends on what you want to pay. The more expensive digital/computer chargers typically charge every type of cell. So, if you think you may ever change cell types I would recommend one of these. They are more expensive but are worth the extra money.

FYI: some of these such as the one I have (ICE) require purchasing an external power supply so be aware.

I started with this charger for my NiMh packs which was really good for the money (no externla power supply needed):
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUF43&P=7

But when I switched over to Lipo packs I needed a Lipo charger so I purchased this one:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHDJ1&P=7

These Tritons also look pretty good:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVRS6&P=ML

Remember you get what you pay for. For my first charger, I went cheap and it didn't last long. I had to buy a new one within a few months.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:53 AM
TechyJoe

OBX_Rider

As Yowza stated above:

"Your best off reading through this whole RC Surfer forum, it will tell you everything you need to know and more. There a benefits and disadvantages to all RC Surfers out there, it will depend on your budget, time and most of all patience to get one of these things working the way you want it."

Read at least from page 10 onwards.... This is where this thread picked up for the summer of 09. Most posts are not that board specific and focus more on general discussions about leaks and different types of hardware, electrics and configurations etc. that I think can be applied to almost any boards.

Good luck and let us know of your progress.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.