Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 PM
InDaTube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

Great report......

The smile on MJ says it all !

Green Flash looks like it rips... and does.

Hugh, your board is so high tech. I would like to know the tech details of what you have created.

I'm glad you guys are finally getting some waves.

MJ Is that a trick fin I see on Flash?

InDaTube
Old 01-21-2013, 11:28 PM
bearcave

haha surfcurls, why you would want to edit out a classic 'Oi' face is beyond me... lol
Old 01-22-2013, 08:32 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

maui is windy

indatube,, i wish it was glassy like your house

ypc your shaft coulper and motor mount,,, incredible workmanship,

curly love your seventies board ,,

billybongo63 those waves look perfect,, but i bet its cold
[/b]

maui john

Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 AM
YPC

Howzit MJ compliments from the master......!

Coupler "still to be tested".......As you know so well - 'building these custom boards is a trip !'.........each one so different to the other........Just Love it !

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !
Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 PM
surfcurls
Banned

MJ

It was my favorite board in the right conditions.
I had Stingers, a bonzer (remember those), A G & S Egg, Some Infinity Thrusters shaped By
Steve Boehne. Some boards made from garage shapers. I wish I had A Picture of every board.
I probably have more pics laying around in boxes. I'm not the best at Taking or Keeping Pix, As Dom Reminds me lol.

Cool Thing about the full custom rc boards, is they will surf better or worse in all different conditions
and thats going to be endless possibilities, and a quiver may become a must. Better keep that planer plugged in !

I had thought of a removable component compartment a few years ago, that would allow the same elecs & Drive system
to plug and play in different boards, would be a lot easier.

To All
It would be cool to sea pix of your personal surfboards .

YPC, You love documenting Pictures, Would be great
to see some of your real boards ...
Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 PM
YPC

Hey Curls.................like you say, most of the 'youthful pictures' are in a box somewhere in the attic.........LOL

My current 'Quiver'.........the short board I have been riding for almost 20 years now, but I mostly surf the 7ft and long board these days........and they

In my 'one year' of experience rcSurfing - I reckon rather than having a quiver, its more a case of finding what surf 'one' is most likely to surf regularly and work around that to have the ideal board.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27589.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1843419  
Old 01-22-2013, 11:57 PM
InDaTube

Hi Curls and YPC

Here are a few photos of my boards.
The two yellow long boards
The other long board is a replica of the first surfboard I ever had made new. It was a Balsa Wardy. 50 years of surfing tribute board.
The Yellow Maui******** was modeled after the gunny yellow longboard.
The Red Maui******** is .......... InDaTube

Name:	Lj22266.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1843420   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44385.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	1843421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67999.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	1843422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84107.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1843423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq87755.jpeg
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	1843424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jz39827.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	1843425  
Old 01-23-2013, 12:24 AM
surfkiwi

My Bondi Surfer Girl has arrived and I have been busy waterproofing it following all the advice on this forum. There sure were a lot of leaks! The best tip was blowing air into the water intake to test where the air bubbles came out! She is all sealed up now.

I am about to take it out for the first run. None of the Radio gear has been changed yet, but I plan on getting some new stuff from somewhere like Hobby King shortly. In the meantime, I have a 7 cell 8.4v 2000mah Nicad and a 7 cell 8.4v 3000mah NiMh. Is it OK to use the 7 cell 8.4v batteries in with the stock standard radio gear. I am pretty sure the standard 7.2v 1800mah that it came with won't last long enough to satisfy me
My understanding is that the motor will spin faster, but everything else should work fine. Is that right?
Is there any harm in running the standard motor that little bit faster? 

Cheers for the help,

Mark
Old 01-23-2013, 02:13 AM
YPC

Hey Indatube.......that is a great looking quiver.....stunning colors.....!

Did MJ spray the rc boards fro you to replicate the long boards ?........looks awesome !

Elephant report.

Steering linkage and rudder post fitted. Custom Bi - Fin made up - Water cooling pickups fitted............Burp !.....LOL

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Name:	Nl29774.jpg
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1843430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37668.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	1843431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80379.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1843432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69132.jpg
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1843433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96823.jpg
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1843434  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:48 AM
bearcave

I rarely chuck stuff away its a problem i have. Ifound some pics i took a few years back of a special board i bought mid 80'sin almost new condition. Its now in an old board cover stashed in the back of the cave thinkin it might be worth something one day. After the legrope cut through the rail to the plug i was devestated but then just kept riding and fixing for years until it went into storage.

Its a 6'8" Mark Richards twin fin. MR didn't shape it but the pics of itin the condition i was stillsurfingitbesides the blank discoloration are worth a laugh.

Hey surfkiwi.... if you can fit in the 8.4vwithout it hitting the drive coupling give it a go but i think the extra volts may give bondi girl's electric bitsa kick up the assthey may never get over lol.... thinkin if you stay of the full throttleyou may get a few runs in but..... you eventually have to go brushless with a better esc and radio anyway so why not see what happens.....

Have fun and all the best,keen toknow what happens.... regards bearcave

Name:	Ig11144.jpg
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1843468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70905.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1843469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59285.jpg
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	1843470  
Old 01-23-2013, 10:25 AM
surfkiwi

Bearcave,
Thanks for that info. I remember on Radio Waves video that he put a 7 cell battery in his stock Kyosho when doing a speed test against his modified board. I am pretty sure he had also fitted a speed controller. So I guess in order to use the 7 cell I would need to replace the receiver and add a speed controller before I can run a 7 cell? The stock gear doesn't have a speed controller - it is just full throttle or nothing
Idon'treally want to fry the stock gear just yet because any new radio gear will probably be 3 weeks away.
Has anyone else tried running an 8.4v battery in a stock NQD?
Cheers,
Mark
Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 AM
InDaTube

YPC

Yep...... MJ did the spray

Got to say, your workmanship, attention to detail and creative features is impressive.

InDaTube
Old 01-23-2013, 01:03 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

surfkiwi
[/b]

it has been a long time but on the radio waves vid i think he used a 7 cell nimh in the stock board it made it go just fast enough to make it out though the surf.,,,POWERPARK would know,,,, powerpark were are you we need help.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:39 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Nice Real Boards To Everyone.
My Vote is Larry - Nice Quiver !

SK
To get the most speed and run time on a stock set up,
Go to the highest Ni-mh that will fit.
A six cell would be about 4500 Mah

Not sure if a 7 cell will fit without some cuts.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:15 PM
surfkiwi

The 7 cell fits in fine...to scared to plug it in!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:50 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Just go for it,

The voltage is not much higher.
Or try it stock as it is and run the 1800 6 cell
Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 PM
YPC

Howzit Indatube......MJ did a great color job.....thanks for the 'rating'

When I build a board, it more of a 'TRIP' for me than a chore.......I have a very cool workshop 'at home' with most all I need, from a small lather - band saw -table sanding machines etc etc.....which makes it that much easier.

Time is the 'biggest' resource required when building these amazing little show stoppers.......fortunately, I have some of that at hand every day.

Curls !........with the Kyhoso boards and the like....... don't you think the Nmh batteries played a big part in weighing the board down as well as keeping the speed in perspective. It seems to me that the boards with the Lipo batteries are to light and to fast - hence excessive 'jumping'

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 AM
bearcave

surfkiwi

As far as i know abrush motor generates the heat from the brushes on the commutator. The coil cooling tube around the can takes some heat away but in the old days they would run brush cooler setups as well.... a brushless motor generates the heat from the windings in the outside of the can hence why the jacket cooling systems work so well...... as far as i know most brush motors were designed for 7.2v and any more volts gives the brushes a good work out/burn out.

Not sure if the receiver will handle the extra volts BUT what if you plug your batt into another thing maybe even a high watt 12v globe for a few minutes then check the volts with a volt meter.... once its down to maybe just under 8v go for it.

Btw i think i saw an oldpic of one of kites early boards running a brush setup recently while he was showing something else within the hull. kite might know powerpark would... hey yeh whereispowerpark.

YPC
The lighter weight lipo batts made my production boards way better in all ways, was even able to reduce lead in the nose to get back the desired cg.
Self righting no change..... lighter boardwith longer runtimes always good.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:37 AM
YPC

Howzzit Bearcave........

Intersting...........I would have thought that a slightly heavier board by comparison would have worked better in the surf.......

To all Brushed motor uses......same advise I gave a friend who's girl was playing up - Move ON ........LOL their are far better options out their.......LOL you will save a fortune in the not so long term.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !
Old 01-24-2013, 03:07 AM
bearcave

Hi guys

One of the main reasons i am interested in rcsurfing again is the most excellent and affordable bang for buck brushless motors and battery technology that is available nowto all who have an interest in electric hobbies......almost thinkinpower to weight including batts or fuel is on par with nitro 2stroke.... yes big call and horses for courses but just sayin how good electric stuff is now and will only get better and more affordable.....

Mobile phone's used to have a breifcase size battery when the first appearedbut nowjust get smaller and more powerful every year hey

Hey YPC

I'm not sure if a heavier board would go better or worse just sayin what i see. I think my plastic boards run around 1800gms (4lbs?) and have lead weights inside the hull glued to the bottom shell..... but the foamy kyosho around 1600gms and has no lead ballast in the keel at all but in 3ft and under it goes ok.

When i get more time and the helmetcam happening i will show some vid of foamy gettin some BUT hey you have a foamy kyo atm...... have anotherlook at the 'radio waves' foamy kyo surfers, get that one you have in some1ft-2ft wavesandsee what you think.

Just my thoughts and yes another mindbogglin issue within the ******** trip......I'm sure in bigger waves with bigger boards and wanting to domore controlled moves changes the whole dynamic of these things but thatswhy we are all here hey!

bearcave
Old 01-24-2013, 03:53 AM
YPC

Bearcave........I've absolutely no experience with the Kyhoso and the like....and wont be getting any........just read some time back when most guys started doing the conversion of battery and motor type - hence resulting in being lighter -the added weight seemed to smooth things out.

A lighter hull - going much faster - will be sure to be 'light' on the water. (scitish)....Like a race car with no down force.........

JIMI and others have always advocated that extra weight added to the keel and some inside gave the board a better ride.........I think the average weight was about 2kg or even just over - 2.1kg's.

Its a constant 'ding dong' battle - finding the best relationship between ideal weight and best run times...........the best scenario is to be able to 'add weight' if and when.....depending on conditions.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !
Old 01-24-2013, 07:32 AM
RC Resinator

surfkiwi
            Do your self a favor and find a broken surfboard,  cut the nose off, and start shaping ! Nothing beats catching your first wave with a board you made yourself ! It is close to catching your first wave as a kid. To make it  easier check out maui******** how to video. the Bondi surf girl is only going to make you hungry for more speed and durability.
 Aloha,
         rc resinator
Old 01-24-2013, 11:10 AM
surfcurls
Banned

YPC

The weight of the Ni-mh does help, and with a 4500 mah the speed is good and long run times.
The kyosho is a lighter hull than the NQD
Old 01-24-2013, 04:03 PM
powerpark
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Guys

Ive been busy working on my other hobby. My saltwater reef tank needed rebuilding. Its all up and running again. Its hard work hunting for corals on craigslist. LOL

Looks like you guys are working hard on new boards. Amazing stuff. Its colder than cold here on the East Coast. My surfer dude sits as a shelf queen for the winter.

Anyone find any good deals on a brushless esc? I think im going to replace mine.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:56 PM
surfkiwi

I have taken the Bondi Surfer girl out a couple of times now. She took a few big waves and spent quite a bit of time on her side. The good thing is the inside of the board has been bone dry every time! 
The battery definitely doesn't last long enough and Need more speed a well. Will be replacing all the rc gear soon now that I know it doesn't leak. 
What does everyone do to help with keeping the board upright. Is the Bondi Girl taller than other surfers. She seems to tip over easily. I suppose more weight in the keel would help. A faster engine would help to keep the nose up as well. 
What mods should be made to the surfer girl. I have seen some people cut her shorter. Others fill her with expanding foam and some just seal her up. What's best?

I can see why this rc surfing is so addictive!

Cheers,

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.