Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:54 PM
bearcave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

RC Resinator

I had a dude come off the board one day.... lucky for memy rcboard stayed upright and surfed in but was way funny when a realsurfer brought in dude on the front of his board. Seb Skow had a great story way back when his board went out with no reception and just kept going...

Damn it would be good if this site had sections of happening things as i have no idea what page that way funny story was on.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:13 AM
bearcave

YPC

Niceglassing tips on the latest construction, like the thoughtson the bulb givin a more leaning stancewhen turning toobut ***.... i've heard of name droppin but face droppin a many times world champ is something different hey!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:48 AM
YPC

Having figured this all out last year.......this year things sure are 'that much easier'- no more thinking about it- just doing it !

Got the Hatch RIM created !...........works well in deflecting any water pressure between the hatch deck and seal. also neatens up the hatch to deck.

Jensen ( age 6) - shaping his third board - a fish swallow tail......the boy knows his symmetry !................

Got the hatch cover laid up.........I like the Frost look when it is cured.......kind've replicates a waxed deck.....IMO

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15846.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1841041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95547.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1841042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62285.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1841043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25393.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1841044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg55088.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1841045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne55229.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	1841046  
Old 01-16-2013, 03:00 AM
YPC

Hey Bearcave...........all in the name of progress.......all I have learnt in one way or another has come from others.........I have a good feeling about the 'new pod'...........but then again, I had good feelings about a number of things that did not quite work out................ fortunately some have.

Who was it 'Eddison' who first figured out 999 ways how not to make a light bulb, before he actually figured out one that worked............thank goodness he never gave up............we would still be using candles.........LOL

Dont know if you have watched any documentaries of Kelly...........he is an amazing individual with accomplished talents that go even beyond the realm of surfing.......A great roll model for the youth and an inspiration to all of us - never give up..........just keep pushing on.....

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 01-16-2013, 07:56 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

Not so funny story for you all.

I was rcsurfing with Hugh and the waves were good size, I had to go really far out to catch them and at the time, I was using a cheap RX system and just like Seb my model took off in a fury. Luckily it was headed parallel with the coast. At first I did not know what to do, then I ran down the beach after it. It got about a half a mile away and I lost sight of it. After getting tired from running, I got a sick feeling in my stomach that my model was gone forever. I walked down the coast another half mile down the rocky shoreline could not find it anywhere and was ready to give up ever finding it again. Suddenly I heard a whining noise, as I ran around the corner of the rocks the sound stopped. Then it dawned on me, if I hit the trigger I could hear the motor singing. So I finally found her wedged betweeen two big rocks, the bottom was beat up badly but I was happy to get my surfer back. The moral of the story is don't use a cheap radio if you want to go far out.

maui john

ps did kelly stay for dinner.. lol
Old 01-16-2013, 08:51 AM
YPC

I always love a story with a happy ending MJ............I have lost ( sunk) racing boats worth ZAR 20 000 ($ 3000) not a nice feeling.

Kelly is a fussy eater......LOL.....sends his regards by the way.

Downloaded this awesoem picture from the ********s forum taken by Jefahead on his visit to Cape Town over December.- 'Liududno beach break'............these are the waves I will be searching out this year. Only hassle is working around the surfers and boogie borders.........dangerous in more ways than one.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Name:	Ec87654.jpg
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	1841123  
Old 01-17-2013, 01:48 AM
YPC

How do you 'eat an elephant ?.............................................one bite at a time.........LOL

How do you build a ******** ?.............................................one day at a time..........Phew !

Hatch cover done !.......... 6 layers of chop strand then I finish the surface with a 6 ounce layer of woven cloth and some whetted area's......trying to emulate a waxed up deck ( for what it is worth).......

As you can see in the pics, the hatch cover tucks behind the rim very neatly. The rim is a major plus to the build, besides 'deflecting' the water pressure from penetrating under the seal when punching through a wave or landing - it also holds the entire hatch in position, taking the 'shearing force' off the S/S securing threads.
I use the standard 3mm x 15mm neoprene door seal sold at most Hardware stores........I apply it to the perimeter Hatch cover.

Cant wait to be hitting that lip again..........................

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Name:	Da83530.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	1841361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99505.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1841362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22692.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1841363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43786.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	1841364  
Old 01-17-2013, 03:14 AM
bearcave

ORIGINAL: RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

So I finally found her wedged betweeen two big rocks, the bottom was beat up badly but I was happy to get my surfer back. The moral of the story is don't use a cheap radio if you want to go far out.

maui john
Hey mauijohn haha better than Seb's storyi don't think he got his one back (damn wish i could find that post...)

The moral of the story is noted but anything worthy of floating is always named female hey,.. therefore I think finding 'her' while never giving uphelpedyou get you'resurferback..... just sayin lol
Old 01-17-2013, 01:16 PM
YPC

Something NEW in RCSurfing............I didn't see this coming...........their we were with our heads stuck in our boards.......only $30

This one should take up at least 300 pages, sorting out all the quirks........whos going to purchase one and start the Forum.........LOL

You have to love the couple demonstrating it........makes me think they designed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5cv83rOZD8&NR=1

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !
Old 01-17-2013, 06:41 PM
kitekook

Something NEW in RCSurfing....

I have been working on my new board and it was time for the stuffing box.

Recently I tried using the Teflon tube inside a 1/4 brass tube...as suggested by Off Shore Electrics...

But I could feel the drop in RPM's...it was quieter though, and did not hold much grease..

Thought I would try something new...

Here, everything is floating inside a 1/4 Brass stuffing tube.

I used a 3/4 in Teflon piece at the coupling, 7/32 brass tube(recommended size tube for .150 flex cable without the Teflon(using it kind like a spacer)), then a 1/2in Teflon piece followed by the 7/32 brass tube that supports the stub end at the prop of the flex cable(have no idea what to call it?)

I am hoping the Teflon will act as bushings to help keep the grease in and the 4" 7/32 I used as a spacer will provide a reservoir of grease.

I left about 1/8 in space for the innards to slide around inside the 1/4 Brass tube. When I greased it up...the fittings were flush to the rear...under load if the flex cable shortens...it will slide forward toward the coupler...

Since nothing is glued /soldered in, replacement, should anything wear out, will be a breeze.

I was hoping to have a report of how it worked...but, although I finished the board...Melika is just too heavy(made her before I came up with the 'light'way to glass the Surfer Figure)

So I have to cut her off the deck and create a new Surfer this weekend!

Good swell coming our way Sun,mon, and Tuesday...
Old 01-17-2013, 07:51 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Kite
Great work (secret agent style. lol)
The concept seems to be working for my builds as swell.
I Didn't like the full teflon, or full flex, so we made A hybrid
Similar to your take. Just made brass bushings that extend on some of the flex
then have space, then extend to the the end of the flex.
It allowed more grease, no noise.

YPC
Here is one you can look into as swell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fitkL-UwLxs
Sorry to hear Fish, ditched the "Bro" dude you made for him. It Didn't Work looking at his comments.
You have some explaining to do on this quote Lol "it feels and looks good in hand" Really ???[X(]

All in fun, All for Fun. If Not, We should All Go boogie boarding lol ...

Old 01-17-2013, 09:45 PM
YPC

Hey Curls....always snowballing a good ride......and talking 'out of context'

The very reason I sent a Bro to Fish - was for some 'intense' R&D........if anyone could break it - Fish would, ridding the surf he does.
From Fish's valuable feed back........I improved on Bro's design and 'look in hand'. As 'you can now see' in my 20 plus video's - Bro is 'all good'
All using the Bro's are 'very happy'

Clearly what has got your goat is my comment on the ********s forum were others are discussing 'your board ?'..........none of which I feel is offensive or untoward...........http://www.********s.com/post228.html#p228

Hi Guys........Hot Topic !!!

I'm 'really keen' to see or hear of 'one' that has actually been 'in the water'............if it was mine, especially considering that some have already been sold to clients, I would certainly have had some 'R&D' footage to show off.

I think the picture above is of a German Chap who bought a board from Curls and finished/equipped it himself

For the most of it the boards DIMS are the same as the Kyhoso and the like- but from what Curls has conveyed - there have been a few changes, which could swing either way in respect to performance.

As I openly mentioned on the Forum........I'm really keen 'TO SEA' your latest board 'In The Surf'.......... that's what it all about for most of us.

http://www.youtube.com/user/formulaish

www.********.com

First picture is demonstrating 'look and feel in hand'........ don't know what comes to your mind.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Name:	Zx71248.jpg
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1841639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15110.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	1841640  
Old 01-17-2013, 11:39 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Relax Dom,

Just having a few laughs about the new circus.
Since I'm mentioned on the site a bit, It's open game to take a bite just for the halibut ...

Got to go, off to Mavericks ...

Old 01-17-2013, 11:54 PM
bearcave

hey Kite i like how you are always trying new ideas.... keep us posted on how the new flexy goes.

YPC..... I only got a few minutes in to the skysurfer thing but yeh they are an interesting couple... btw what was the furry thing he was strokin between his legs.. lol

And haha even though my eyes are not so good anymore i had to have a second look at that first pick... OMG looks like a mega Tsunami peeling left about to take you out....... then again i am old and it is very hot here atm.....lol

Name:	Ca81883.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1841702  
Old 01-18-2013, 12:10 AM
InDaTube

Just wanted to check in with you guys.
InDaTube has been surfing almost every day at the San Clemente Pier......

Name:	Fd91162.jpg
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1841703  
Old 01-18-2013, 12:32 AM
bearcave

InDaTube

Nice pic, might have to save that one for my ******** gallery, so hot here at the moment i wanted to be at San Clemente Pier as the dude riding you're board!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 AM
Hughengland

Big wave on Maui for last few days and forecasts are saying 20ft over the weekend.
Did 6 bricks with Silver Surfer today in Paia Bay, tried out new GoPro, nothing worth showing yet.
Smashed the nose in today after I went "over the falls" - epoxy setting overnight for tomorrow's sessions.

Name:	Tr49959.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	1841714  
Old 01-18-2013, 05:41 AM
YPC

Hey Bearcave.......you need those eyes checked...............whats that known fact about to much sex causing poor eyesight.........LOL

Indatube !........ awesome waves.............wish I was their !!!! glad to see you are ripping........

Hugh!...... that's Nasty.....was it the GoPro mount that ripped the nose laminate off.

Took another bite out of my little elephant today........fitted the motor mount /shaft mount and made up the stuffing tube.

Kept the motor center 10mm below the water line - low CG and a reduced thrust line angle.

Great weekend all !

Bro ********. ..
Share the STOKE !

Name:	Lj21966.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1841760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78441.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1841761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45179.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1841762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22027.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1841763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf50518.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1841764  
Old 01-18-2013, 02:28 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

indatube
your making us jealous with those perfect waves ,,, stop it ,,, lol

maui john

Old 01-18-2013, 06:25 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Hugh
You must have hit reef, considering the nose is carbon ?

InDa
Great Pic. S.C. Pier is a great spot to have a bro Down.
That was the 2nd choice at bro #1.
Easy Beach Access, and some good surf.

YPC
The fit looks great. Just food for thought.
The motor looks tight, what if that motor size is no longer available ?

Looks like it's (4) step down sizes on the stuff tube, what shaft diameter are you running.

Whats Video Lol ...
Old 01-18-2013, 07:01 PM
kitekook

Well, I have a beautiful new board...but no rider!

I was going to use Melika one last time...but she is too heavy...

Spent the day in Mission Bay park...we went from the freezer to the oven....well not oven...it was a beautiful 70deg this afternoon...not bad for mid January!

Found myself a picnic bench near the bay...

I started two figures...

I figure this way, I have one with the blocks all cut up proper as a template for the next...

three hours later...

still have some touch up....then its off for some glass...

My workweek starts tomorrow...so looks like I'm missing the next swell event[]
Old 01-18-2013, 07:52 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Kite
Love your workshop area !

Mission Bay is The Bomb !
Paradise Point is my Fav.
I used to enjoy rc Sailing in that small lake they have set up for it.

The Figure looks Awesome, A true work of art.

One Question, what do you use to glue the foam parts ?
I found a glue gun works really swell, and immediate on foam.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:51 PM
kitekook

Paradise Point is a great spot for sure...I go to the Model Boat Pond to test self righting on all my new Surfers.

The pond was originally built into the Mission Bay master plan in 1939 as a continuation of a long standing program with the City Schools of San Diego of building Model Boats and competing between schools on the pond....every year the kids in WoodShop Class would make a Sailboat as one of their projects and get together and race them at the end of the year...Back then there was no remote control...so it was a downWinder!

These days there is no more WoodShop in the local Public Schools (Budget cuts and crazy kids with power tools) so no more school yard racing...

The pond is now Home to the San Diego Argonauts. They have some real nice Sailboats...old boyz always trip on my Surfers.

If you look at 12oclock position you can see the big sand field on Fiesta Island...that is where the Over the Line Tournament is held every year...and right behind that is "Stinkies" our world class Kiteboarding Spot...can't tell you how much time I wasted waiting for wind...we did have beer back then, so not a total waste(we can no longer drink adult beverages at the beaches or parks any longer.)

Sea World is in the 230 position.

I use Foam Safe Super Glue, I get at the Hobby Shop.

The Glue needs a minimum Temp to work right...probably says so on the bottle...who reads the instructions!

But works great when it's warm out. Fast, Lightweight, and Strong!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:02 PM
YPC

Hey Curls.......

If this board lasted as long as it would take for manufacturers to no longer be producing a 3650 motor, it would be doing alright...........LOL
Placing the motor as far forward and as low down in the pod, reduces the 'THRUST LINE ANGLE'

Due to the new 'rubber bushed coupling' I am using, I have to run a thrust washer on the dog drive end to prevent the coupling being compressed, so the drive shaft face needs to be just over 7mm - hence the brass tube build up. The actual shaft size is a solid 3.2mm shaft.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Name:	Lj22989.jpg
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1842038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93439.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1842039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40678.jpg
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1842040  
Old 01-19-2013, 01:10 AM
YPC

Stuffing tube still needs to be epoxied in place.....

The reason I am now trying this 'coupling' is to reduce the need for 'exact' motor/shaft alignment - it should also reduce the resonance in the board and simply smooth the drive out further.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Name:	Ax72962.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1842053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73737.jpg
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1842054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36458.jpg
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1842055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77973.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1842056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53771.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1842057  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.