Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 03:35 AM
Cananzi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

dom

i have checked over all 3 of the new ones and they are fine....looks like i will just have to deal with them. bummer.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:33 AM
YPC

Are you saying that the RX's 'are fine' and you think the TX is the problem ?

Bro'
Old 08-10-2012, 05:23 AM
Cananzi

dom

Yes all 3 new TX are doing the same thing. The new RX 's work with my old TX tho. Hobbyking dont want to know anything about it so looks like i will be wearing it.

The customer service is so bad with hobbyking. I had another DOA esc in a bunch that i brought of ''the new hobbyking boat 70amp escs'' but i guess thats the chance you take with them.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:06 AM
powerpark
My Feedback: (1)

Oh what a feeling! Catching some air @ Delaware's Broadkill beach.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:34 AM
YPC

Hi Cananzi.....................when you say the new TX's drop bind at 70m's...........how far does the old Tx hold the bind.

I dont think I surf as far as 70m's out ............roughly 220 ft.............. 3/4 the length of a rugby field............... 20 story building ...........I really struggle to see my board at a distance..... especially in beach break.

I found this comparative test a while back, which was a good read......I have no doubt we can at least halve the 'over land' range 'over water' and waves......yet its interesting to see that there IS as difference in radio ability.

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/2-4-ghz-ra...t-radio-range/

More about 2.4gig.............interesting

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10048254

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...he-discussion/

http://www.myrcworld.co.uk/index.php...adio&Itemid=18

A quote from the article above - it seems that 280 ft - 85 m's is a realistic expectation of range over water with a 2.4 gig radio.

In testing I had full control for the length of the lake available to me, of approximately 90 metres (around 295 feet). With the range check function of the DX6i enabled, I appeared to loose control at around 85 metres (approximately 279 feet), which significantly exceeds the minimum specified distance of 90 feet quoted in the Spektrum handbook.

Bro'
Old 08-10-2012, 10:39 AM
YPC

Hey Powerpark...........reminds me of that old song "More than a feeling".........I think it was BOSTON !...........giving my age away........and misspent youth.

Board looks nicely balanced..............waves look like they offered you some fun.............'Boardkill'..........how did the beach get THAT name ?...........eery......LOL

Bro'
Old 08-10-2012, 12:40 PM
K-H2o

Cananzi- Good to hear from Ya !!! One factor in transmitters is the transmition Wattage. Looking at an Aircraft radio versus a surface the output wattage is way less on surface,( I am concludingthis from battery consumption,So maybe thereis a diffrencebetween modelsand brands too.
Kite - Did you think about covering up the holes and seeing if it overheats ?? they say the holesare for cooling, Bummer Ya, Leopards areasking to suck water now.

Aloha, Karl
Old 08-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Cananzi

Dom

Sorry i meant 70ft not metres no wonder you were scratching your head at what i wrote..........My old GT2 i have no problem going out to the back break holds bind as far as anywhere i need to go but these new ones seem to fall short............Those threads are an interesting read i think i might raise my antenna highest i can get it and give that a go.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:39 PM
surfcurls
Banned

It's a combination of aspects I like from all the production models.
And then I tweaked the things I didn't like.

Its a solid - seamless Foam Board that is glassed, Not A two piece shell.
The line on the rail was drawn on, But decided not to go the two piece method in the future
as you mentioned. I don't want any separation on the hull.

Still looking at the running gear, but will probably stick to the usual stuff I run.
3300 Kv motor, 29 mm prop, semi or full flex, 60 amp esc
The Figure is the hard part ...

The GT2 Tx has been tested for distance range from Some guys I know, And it went out over a 1000 feet
and was calculated from a real boat in the water to spot it/ and the pilot on the shore.

I think the glitches have to do with the antenna, Sail dog had a heck of a time with his
and had to resolder the antenna
Old 08-10-2012, 02:14 PM
powerpark
My Feedback: (1)

Oh yea Boston was the band! Glad to see you guys are working hard. The beaches here need something new. Hey where do you get neoprene washers? I was getting some water inside. And think its the washers. But it maybe the drive shaft. I havent lube it for a while. Keep up the good WORK!

Old 08-10-2012, 06:23 PM
kitekook

RC Hawaiian Style

I was at work today and it dawned on me...

bigger board....

heavier board....

are you planning something special???

Personally, I think Tina is the only Diva crazy enough to have a go at JAWS...provided the cameras were rolling that is...
Old 08-10-2012, 09:08 PM
YPC

Hi CUrls............love to see more pics............

Cananzi.............Ah !........LOL..............I was almost guilty of TX envy.........LOL............check the TX Antenna connections.........they may just be faulty.

Bro'

Old 08-11-2012, 02:23 AM
YPC

Hi Cananzi..........could you send me the DIMS of your board and the DIMS of the POD...........I am interested in figuring the reason for the 'bigger' boards ride been more 2D.

One thought that has come to mind is that :

The POD - besides housing part of the motor and some weight - 'certainly' has an effect on how the board rides and handles. I have noticed that my POD boards ride higher out the water than my POD-LESS boards.

- in the case of the smaller/lighter boards like mine (700 mm 28" - 2kg's 4.4lbs) the pod has the surface area ability to actually 'lift' the weight of the board up out of the water......so to a degree, the board runs on the pod. You could say that the POD is effectively a semi -displacement hull on its own, at a certain speed generating lift........the actual board is 'the deck'

So !...........(remove the rudder and place the board on a flat surface to better visualize this theory)

-in the turns.............with the pod lifting the board up, the board is able to lean.............due to the pod driving itself up out of the water ..........lending the outer rail depth to lean.....once the lean starts taking place, there is further lift generated by water pushing 'up' under the outer rail of the board, as water is deflecting off the outer side wall of the pod as it is driven through the turn.

With the bigger........slightly heavier..............slightly wider .... boards...........the pod - still been relatively the same size..........is less efficient in 'lift ability' and is 'easier overcome' by the weight of the bigger board............. therefore...... not able to lift out of the water as high as it would a smaller ....lighter board.......therefore limiting the degree of lean..............the rail is also further out due to the board been wider..........also decreasing the potential angle of 'lean...............hence the ride is flatter......more 2D......

With you introducing the central tail rocker and tapering the run offs...........effectively you have created a 'type of V' which is effecting the lean.........

It would be interesting if you would shape a "bigger POD shell- deeper and wider) temporarily ( hot glue it) place it over your existing pod to note the effect.......you may even improve the speed- acceleration - and run time - as the bigger pod may lift more of the boards wetted surface area out of the water.

The Full scale F1's many years ago found that when they added a CENTER POD into the Tunnel of the hull.......it improved there acceleration as it 'lifted' the hull out of the water quicker........

Something to play with................

Dominic (Bro'Surfer)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23425.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1790862  
Old 08-11-2012, 04:30 AM
YPC

Cape Town is a STORM ZONE..........using my time to Surf the NET...................

HUGH........check this out..........you can boost your 2.4 gig signal with an inline antenna amplifier (1W).......it could be a cheaper option with better results.
It claims to better 'penetrate obstacles'

http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=245

The flight video has the plane flying 10 000m's way.......................WOW

It simply plugs inline with the antenna..........needs a 6v power supply...........and you should be 'overpowering' all other 2.4 gig signals and obstacles.

Dominic (Bro'Surfer)
Old 08-11-2012, 08:44 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

hi far out rc surfers

i use the airtronics 2.4 gh ,, mine will go out 1/2 of a mile ,, here is 3 pics frist one fullout zoom 2 one half zoom,, # 3 full zoom in ,,, i could bearly see it ,i had to stand on the cillf just to see it

power park,, man your waves look good ,, much better than maui ,keep the pics coming

MAUI JOHN

Name:	Us52494.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1790908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10246.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1790909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12366.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1790910  
Old 08-11-2012, 12:49 PM
YPC

Hey Maui John..............800 m's is within the 1000 m's most reckon 2.4 gig is good for..............I would need 'binoculars'...............LOL

In that situation 'direct' line of site ' no obstacles' with no other 2.4 gig equipment around - is the optimum rc surfing situation..........as shared in the above articles - its all the obstacles - including plenty of waves - as well as busy 'electronic equipment areas' ( cell phones - satt- nav - wi -fi ) that cause the 2.4 gig signal strength to weaken dramatically.

Bro'.......just about ready to go !.....................................

Got the gloss coat sanded down to 600 gritt.......will leave it for a few days before the 'shine'............all running equipment installed ............bench tested........
Hopefully to-morrow this storm will let up........and let us .............catch a wave.......

Dominic (Bro'Surfer)

Name:	Tr51360.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1790945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19801.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1790946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65586.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1790947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52860.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1790948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jv14575.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1790949  
Old 08-11-2012, 01:08 PM
biketuna

WOW. Everyone looks better and better.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:30 PM
SHALLOWMINDED

New Member ~ Avid Surfer & Kiteboarder. Enjoying this "New to me" hobby of RC Surfing

Pic's to follow
Old 08-11-2012, 06:07 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

Dom

that board must have a home ,, ,its beautiful do you spray your gloss coat on ,, that one has to be sold already, if you want some one to test it send it to Maui LOL,just kidding i know that's you baby and will be hard to part with ,,

Maui john
Old 08-11-2012, 06:19 PM
rogue29

Hey guys i was on this forum way back when it started and then got sidetracked. I am looking to start a build but i might be playing with some old equiptment. I have a boardshark and a nqd surfer girl gutted and awaiting rebuild. I am completely overwhelmed with the info you guys have posted on this forum. Could someone steer me on a decent component setup and radio equip. Looking for stuff that is tried and reliable to start. Then i want to dig into more mods as i go. I'm stoked this forum is still on the move and there are some awesome builds on here. Just looking for a decent budget build to get these in the water. Thanks .
Old 08-11-2012, 06:56 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Wow Rogue your first post was #28 of #5075 on Page #2 of #204
Thats AWESOME !

For NQD

Get a 60 - 120 amp ESC Seaking / Turnigy
Brushless Motor 2700 - 3300 KV 5 mm Shaft 540 can size (36mm) with a cooling tunnel
2.4 Ghz TX - Hobby king 2 channel
Flex drive .130 - to 1/8th prop shaft. 28 - 31 mm prop
Seal The Board, Beef up The Chick, Install The Fit And Surf...

Welcome Home !
Old 08-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Hughengland

Dom - your builds have become a thing of beauty. I really like the ratio of dude to board on the latest build of yours - easier to see when waiting for the big one out back! I will look into the 1W boost link you sent me.
I use same Airtronics Maui John uses but he seemingly gets better more distance than I do
- probably due to the fact that I only use carbon & epoxy with no fiberglass in my builds.
Maybe its time to build an all fiberglass custom board & figure....

Still no waves on Maui......so I dug up 3 older pictures (John & Karl) just to remind me that one day SOooon there will be waves!

Name:	Vs55635.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1791076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94280.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1791077   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28157.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1791078  
Old 08-11-2012, 10:13 PM
YPC

Hey Maui John.............thanks for the 'rating'...........I am getting into the 'hang' of making these beauties........just love it.

The gloss coat is painted on..........it has a percentage of wax in it so that the resin cures ( will remain tacky without the wax) and it can be thinned with a touch of acetone.
Once it has cured.....it is sanded down from a 220 grit...............1000 grit........then polished.

I always say .........a product should go as well as it looks.............so to start with...........I have to try to get it to look as good as possible..................LOL - That is why the Maui John boards rip so well...................

Hugh............thanks for the 'rating'..........it must be the Carbon.........robbing you of range............all the articles say it is a problem.......I have seen it with Carbon boats

Hey ..................when I spent time at sea............and the sea was clam, we would secure everything, as we knew it was the Lull before the Storm...........I am sure some good swell is making its way to you Maui Guys............Get the boards waxed !

Dominic (Bro'Surfer)
Old 08-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Hughengland

since Maui has no waves - here are some pictures just to show what WILL be coming one day soon.....

Name:	Vt56084.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1791101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65059.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1791102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93384.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1791103  
Old 08-12-2012, 07:56 AM
YPC

Hugh............you know its bad when you start looking at old photos for inspiration..........dont worry, the surf will return............my wife still gets her 'wedding album' out every so often.............LOL

Cape Town ocean was all storm surf this weekend.......... tested Board #5 in the back yard............got to love my film crew..........Jensen (5) Cassidy (3)

I am 'very pleased' with the board..........no tail rocker needed........very stable..........turns well both left and right................good punch, even still with a 27mm prop........all was very cool after the run.

Cant wait to hit the surf with this one !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAFNR...1&feature=plcp

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAFNR4nDaZE[/youtube]

Dominic (Bro'Surfer)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.