Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:12 AM
bearcave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

hey Kitekook i tried the spectrum 2.4 system too.... waterproofed the crap out of it but it was crap... good stuff in my cars but!
Old 08-09-2012, 07:54 AM
kitekook

The specktrum radios are great ergonomically....I've kept mine for land usages too.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:56 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

great to see the forum doing so well

new board ,,5 cell lipo ,,,,, weigh 9.5 pounds my heaviest board yet ,, hope she don't sink,,,,LOL,,, 35in, long 10.1/2in wide

maui john
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57856.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	1790488  
Old 08-09-2012, 09:02 AM
kitekook

Beautiful Board!

Those painted rails make that pin tail...so sexy!

9 1/2 lbs heaviest board yet...lol...

Nikki #1 had a 14 1/2 lb board! It was a little sluggish to say the least.
Boy, did I use too much resin on that one...it was board #3

I'm sure this will just rip!

5 cell lipo?
and You made the cockpit much smaller...
Old 08-09-2012, 09:08 AM
kitekook

I got up real early and drove to Oceanside for dawn patrol this morning...

Surf lousy...tide wrong! It was all happening too far out.

Did use a couple batteries though....I'm not spoiled by good conditions...YET!

Nikki gave it her all

There was a Pro event setting up....

A girl can dream can't she....

I'm off to pick up my blanks...Nikki needs a new ride!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Hughengland

Dom - instant rebind is very important because we are surfing HEAVY reef & shore breaks that are close to shore - so that it is easier to see rc surfer.
I previously had cheap Futaba, expensive Nomadio & Spectrum receivers - but they all had slow rebind 2-3 secs - not for me.
Yes I still get lost connection when I am out too far in really big waves................still looking for a cure for this issue - does anyone know much about "Dragon Link" for on water use?

Dom - your new board looks fantastic, worth more than $700 in my eyes. Very clean looking & I am sure it will ride even better than it looks.

Kite - that Nikki sure does look real, great job. I am interested to know your layup config on her.

Maui John - is the new board for your own or a customer, my film work now ended, so I am ready to play with "The Toys" as OSE sent me 2 ea 200amp esc for Silver Surfer - call me.

Here is image that got me 2nd place in photo contest

Name:	Pn35359.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1790501  
Old 08-09-2012, 10:31 AM
YPC

Hi Guys.............."only joking...........LOL....I'm flattered that some of you 'entertained the thought.....LOL

Bearcave.......I'll etch you name 2nd on the list...........I have a mate who 'already thinks' it is his.

Powerpark.....I have not tested it - but - it will self right very well........dims = 700 x 200 x 30 - 1950grams ( all in) - 2930 kv Leopard 4 pole Y - 3S - 5800mAh

Maui John - you are 'pumping them out................great looking board........another happy customer...........after all these years the rc surfer has been around, isn't it amazing that you are the only guy selling RTS boards.....

Kite - good surfers surf good waves - BUT - "Hot Surfers" 'Surf Anything'.................................!!!!!... ...love your stuff.

Hugh.....I was just having some fun....its not easy to put a price on 25- 30 hours of work.....I like to say ART.......LOL
Thanks for the rating.........I find building these boards such a pleasure.....relaxing........rewarding !

I'm really looking forward to getting it wet.......I have one more 'hot coat' to go.......A bit of soldering and its done.............Another Elephant down....wheres the next one.....

I get your point with the radio's...........from my boating experience SPECTRUM is a swear word on water........2.4G technology is still finding its way 'across water' - it needs more work.
I have to say that my 'real cheap HK $14 radio works extremely well at close range........150 ft............its only out back that I lose the bind 'occasionally'. Granted - I dont even have a protruding antenna........and I'm happy with its performance.

Stunning picture..........her beauty is totally serene and peaceful.............well done !...........looking forward to some more 'Maui Style' rc surfing shots ! ( always 1st Prize)

Great Stoke sharing with ALL !........

Dominic (Bro'Surfer)

Old 08-09-2012, 11:14 AM
YPC

Hey Maui John....................could I see the 'bottom' of your board..............and the surfer !........'not his bottom'...........LOL

I take it the weight is the "ready to surf" weight all in........ready to shred.

18.5 V............is Big Power........was there any particular reason for the 5S set up.............what motor kv are your running with that ?......... I would guess around 1500..........it is a big board.......... must look awesome in the 'natural'

Keep 'reincarnating' those old boards into amazing Maui John " Functional -Works of ART ".............

Bro'
Old 08-09-2012, 12:19 PM
K-H2o

Lots of reading to keep up !!
Bear- Thanks for the confirmations !! I am working on a 4 ch radio that is Rc Surfer friendly.
CheyneHoranis a regular foot. Good to have youonthe forum bra !! Can relate to wanting to rip but the body getting to old. I am still able bodied butamdefinatly past myprime. With RC surfing versus me surfingI call itthe Arobic /RoboticRatio. The olderI get themore itswings to Robotic. A perfect day holds a session for both.
Kite-Awesome sculpting and shots !!!

Aloha, KH
Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 PM
trippergreenfeet

I had no idea of the bind issues with 2.4 on water, I wondered why I was having so many brown out moments.

I had a HK-300 3ch 2.4 TX, that worked reasonably well until it would no longer bind to any RX, as a back up I used my Spektrum DX7, that has constant brown outs every time the surfer drops behind a wall of whitewater. I was thinking it was a problem with the electronics in the surfer itself.

What TX's have you guys had success with on water?
Old 08-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Cananzirc

Sorry to gate crash your party!!!!

While you guys are on the topic of radios ...... I brought 3 new gt2 transmitters that are losing bind or getting interference about 70m out........when i use my old gt2 i dont have any problems.... I have tryed an external antenna and that did not help at all.

3 faulty transmitters seems hard to believe. any ideas?
Old 08-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Cananzi

Hey guys

Sorry to gate crash your party!!!

while you guys on the topic of radios. I brought 3 new hobbyking GT2 transmitters....all 3 seem to cut out at around 70m out. when i use my old GT2 it works perfectly.

3 faulty transmitters? any ideas?

Old 08-09-2012, 05:07 PM
kitekook

C

With over 300 posts you are not crashing our party....you are part of the party!

Sorry to hear about the TX's...must have been a bad lot??????

What does HK have to say? Is return shipping cheaper out of Oz? costs a bunch to ship back from the states.

I ended eating three motors I ordered that I do not use anymore...just wasn't worth the effort.

Show us what you have been up to....
Old 08-09-2012, 05:21 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Here is some progress on Our New Foam / Glassed Production Board Model.
Shaped from Polyurethane foam , then layers of cloth, White tint added in the resin coats

Maybe Japan Got The Stance wrong, They are kinda goofy footed in a way.

And No Dom I won't Show You My Bottom, Without a weeks stay at J Bay ...

Name:	Wt59090.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	1790576  
Old 08-09-2012, 05:25 PM
kitekook

The other day a friend offered to give me a long board his wife had been nagging him about....I thought it was pretty cool, he likes my Surfers and knows what happens to full sized surfboards and me...

I picked it up Sunday night...Monday morning I take it out of my van....damn, this board is too nice to put the jigsaw to...

So I put it on Craigslist and a few hours later it had sold...cheap long board, summertime, San Diego...it was a no brainer.

I used the money to get these two Blanks today..

So my buddy gave me a board to make a pair of boards...now his board will make 4!
Old 08-09-2012, 05:43 PM
kitekook

I have been waiting on some motors that have been on backorder for what now seems like forever....

So, I decided I shoud start looking around for a new motor.....Leopard get a lot of good reviews...and they say the Turnigy XK's I like so much are Leopard's repackaged.

I find this motor

It looks good...I order a pair to save on some shipping.

Later I get an email from the ebayer....Leopard has redesigned its boat motors...so all motors shipped from Leopard will be of the new style...

OMG!

Look at all those bloody holes!

I canceled my order...what do you all think of the direction Leopard is going?

Anyone out there with an extra Turnigy XK 3665-B-2300?????????
Old 08-09-2012, 08:13 PM
kitekook

TGF

I have had good results with these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-FS-GT3B-...item231fe94240

and here are the receivers
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2x-FS-GR...item3f19d3c7d0

They have come out with the FS-GT3C model....haven't tried that one yet,can;t say...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-FS-GT3C-3...item3f18a813a6
Old 08-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Cananzi

hey kite
I have been busy testing different tail rockers for the past few weeks. Roughly 15-20tail rockers later i have nailed one that works so far but i am yet to have in good conditions but its showing good signs so far. I really want to steer away from a board handling 2D like which is quite common in the bigger boards
The key to my new set up is the bi fin. I think it is extremely important if you want to emulate pushing weight forward to rear.
I basically have a tail rocker with a flat surface as wide as the keel in the centre like the kyosho with an angle of a few degrees below the bottom board line and then have two sloped peices extending from the centered rocker out to the rails. I have sanded them so that there blend in rounded.
The bifin when going straight will pull the tail down on the straight piece of rocker which then will pull the nose down. when turning ..the bi fin will pull the tail down on to the angle sides of the rocker creating lean into the turns and pulling the nose up and digging the tail and rail in. the set up also gives the whole board a slight downforce.
Going straight the board will throw weight forward .........turning board throws the weight back type of thing.
Curls
no full blown forums for me...once bitten twice shy.
Your new board looks good. I did a simular board few months ago full fibereglass NQD with wingnuts and custom lid.

Name:	Jh14912.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1790595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77296.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1790596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83557.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	1790597  
Old 08-09-2012, 08:20 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

surfcurls

great looking board ,, great workmanship ,, what are you going to put inside for electronics, ,, and how about a rider ,, cant wait to see it go

cananzi looking forward to seeing more of those killer cut backs

maui john

Old 08-09-2012, 11:06 PM
YPC

Hi Curls........I'm happy to see the 'progress'................. a few more different pics would be great........like the boards 'bottom' not yours..........LOL

Is that your own design ?

Would 'custom' not be for a 'one of hand shaped board'..............that board looks to be more like a 'molded board'.......if so...

How have you 'joined' it at the rails ?- what system have you used ?- do you have any Flex when depressing around the rails....I found that to be a weakness with the Glass only board.

Dominic (Bro'Surfer)

Old 08-09-2012, 11:16 PM
YPC

Welcome back Cananzi................stoked to have you paddling back into the break......

Dominic (Bro'Surfer)
Old 08-10-2012, 02:25 AM
bearcave

Hi all surfers rc or real.

Hopefully after this weekend i will have read all the stuff that needs to be read on this very happening forum... and damn YPC i thought i was in for a bargain there for $500...

Kitekook... Pic 2 of your latest diva Nikki with the blonde hair sprayin is priceless could be an avatar... and so glad you didn't cut up that longboard... end of day a win win for all well done.

Cananzi... I read a few pages back you were testing a camera on your transmitter...... your board is lookin good but what about the camera... would liketo post somethingpic/vid wisebut have noidea howto do it without a cameraperson... they would be more focused on the bikini babes anyway...such a shame in thisworld if you want something done properly you have to do it yourself... ha!

Karl.... AROBIC / ROBOTIC RATIO.... I hear you loud and clear.... just keep doin what you do its all good.. spec with your mates hey!

AND to all the other surfers i didn't mention fear not you are all worthy.... there are many non-posters like me eagerly watchin whats happenin and enjoyin and acting on what we see... I just couldn't help myself and had to post something and glad no-one trashed me... yet... haha!

So much to do so little time..... i know you can all relate to that but aye!

Old 08-10-2012, 02:43 AM
YPC

Hi Cananzi.........you mention that your RX is the 'same' as the previous.......my recent parcel which had a few spares..............the antenna id definitely 'longer'.......I have not tested any of them yet........just assumed that it would have even better ability due to the longer antenna.

HOT COAT - final touches...........I will let this cure 'rock hard' for a few days........definitely get to surf it in-between..........then I will sand it down and give it a good polish to have that authentic glass over foam surf board look.............the white gel coat inside the housing worked well to avoid any discoloring pulling through from the fitted components and added weight.

Weekend is threatening a STORM !.........so doubt I will get Bro' wet..............

Dominic (Bro'Surfer)

Name:	Jh14599.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1790652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85991.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1790653   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28034.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1790654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13474.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1790655  
Old 08-10-2012, 03:04 AM
Cananzi

Dom

I am using the RX from my old GT2 transmitter but the new TX seem to cut out even when binded with the new RX that they come with them. Soon as i bind the old GT2 TX with the old or new RX it works fine. Its got me baffled!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:16 AM
YPC

Hi Cananzi........if that is the case........it's the New TX that seems to be the problem !.............perhaps check to see if its antenna is connected correctly.

Bro'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.