Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stackeddeck's Problems- continued...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Stackeddeck's Problems- continued...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 05:28 PM
stackeddeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stackeddeck's Problems- continued...

Haha sorry I was tired of clicking to page 3..and I'm ADDI need a clean page (just kiddin ha)
drumroll....ratatata

Im getting dern easy vee if it kills me..

go to zippkits.com for hull (easy vee) 60 bucks

46 inch..

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWPW0&P=6 will this radio work for it? 80 bucks

http://9x4br.64n2f.servertrust.com/P...BUILDERSPECIAL
299.... it will work...

[*]23cc 4-port factory modified air-cooled w/ clutch and 4-point mounts (14,500RPM @ almost 3HP) 23cc will be big enough? to go say 35 mph?[*]Factory canister muffler[*]XP2P composite molded drive (Can be used both surface or sub-surface)[*]Drive cable w/.250 dia. Stub end[*]12" shaft tube w/ Teflon liner[*]75 mm prop[*]Radio box w/ pre-cut servo tray and lid[*]28 ounce gas tank[*]Throttle cable kit[*]Radio box seal kit[*]Steering rod kit[*]SS adjustable trim tabs (pr.)[/list]total so far 440.....$$$$$ ahh

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&P=8&I=LXUK84 servo? Ineed 2? 2 of the same kind? will this work?

wood cement for putting kit together? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHE31&P=0

epoxy? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPT47&P=0

am I missing anything?

tell me what you think.....

will this make a slow boat? bad boat? decent boat? awesome boat!?

Old 08-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Stackeddeck's Problems- continued...

Looks like the ingredients for a very decent boat. The difference between a decent boat and an awesome boat is often in the details and care taken in preparing and building her.

There are probably a few small items that you will need though no deal breakers. No ESC needed for gas. You will need batteries, gas can, paint, some screws for assembly, and so on.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:50 PM
stackeddeck

gas can? batteries for remote control? do I have to paint it at first?

and like everyone puts the zenoah 26cc engine on it.. will a 23cc still make it go 30+ mph?

and can you tell me if I have the right glue and stuff and more about the servos? how many and what kind do i need?

Old 08-06-2009, 07:53 PM
stackeddeck

Yea I'm either doing this deal or the SI airboat. I talked to him and he has gotten all the hardware, radios, wood, engines etc together for me and will sell me the whole lot for 370 ( i got him to put a cheaper engine on but he says it will still be able to hit 40 mph ) I also emailed the zippkit guys and asked them to do the same, waiting on a response now. If they can't get it down to 400 which I doubt they will.. then I might get the airboat.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Where do I start?
OK, the radio system I guess. The radio is a 2.4 Gig, that's the good part. The bad is that it only has basic adjustments, trims and servo reversing, that's it. If it had End Point Adjustments (EPA's) then you could limit servo throw.
For a cheap radio system that does a nice job, I bought 2 of these from OSE: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=dh-126751 .You're going to need a good servo to turn the boat so I've been using the Hi-tec HS 645-MG's in everything from .21 nitro boats on up to my gassers.
Forget that glue. Get some decent epoxy, 30 minute or more.
As for hardware, get it from Joe at Zippkit's or Bill at www.topsecretboats.com .
To build any Zippkit's boat you're going to need a large FLAT building board. I use an old hollow-core door.
Buy clamps, lots and lots of them as you're gonna need them. I've gotten some of the spring steel ones from the Stationary department at Wal-mart and bigger ones from cheap tool stores like Harbor Freight.
Load up on 150 (or less) and 400 grit sandpaper, there's a lot of sanding to be done.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:51 PM
stackeddeck

Thanks man, unfortunately I can't afford it

The guy at SIboats is helping me get one of his nitro airboats...

got him to put a less powerful engine then usualy...80 bucks less...still up to 40 mph

hes also helping me get the hardware together (great guy)

what do you think about the SI3 60 series

its fast cool hydro airboat.. hope its not to hard to build... I think you guys can help me.

and the glue... do you use epoxy to glue the wood together or jsut to coat the hull after its finished?

any other building tips highly appreciated

thanks again

sincerly

stackeddeck

Old 08-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Dan S

Epoxy all the way.

like Ron said, get some good Epoxy (not the Lepage one).

Dan.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:54 AM
quicksilver78

dude gas isnt that $$$ go to the flea market get a used homelite weedeater for like 20$ and you got a engine and flex shaft right there
Old 08-08-2009, 05:58 AM
quicksilver78

my first gasser was at $300 total found a old magnum junior on ebay for $25 with servos a homelite at the flea market for $15 including my shaft and gas tank and a forabuck hull for $170 and a pool noodle for $1 prop and drive rudder combo was like $45 the boat ran in the 30mph range and to this day never fails me
Old 08-08-2009, 09:56 AM
stackeddeck

Quicksilver, good idea, but I don't think I want to fool with turning a weedeater into a boat engine. Putting a regular boat engine into the boat will be hard enough for me. I've never owned/built any decent Rc boat.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:44 PM
quicksilver78

theres no turning aboput it its really easy the weed eater will have a 1/4" square adaptor just like boat motor it takes about ten minutes to put a weedeater engine into a boat but that just my opinion granted if you want it water cooled there a lil more work but you can send it off to have a water jacket put on it for about 40$ and thats still cheaper then a nitro motor that always dies in the middle of the pond lol
Old 08-08-2009, 02:18 PM
stackeddeck

Thanks for the advice, however, I am not interested in that and think Imight have my boat picked out.

Stacked
Old 08-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Michagain Crazy Bob

Well hope you have fun . but i would go with a gas motor nitro fuel is like $$50 a gallon now thats y i went to a gas boat and they dont shut down in the middle of the pond
Old 08-09-2009, 06:59 AM
quicksilver78

lol aint that the truth we spend more time waitin on the nitro guys paddling out to get there boats then we do running them
ORIGINAL: Michagain Crazy Bob

Well hope you have fun . but i would go with a gas motor nitro fuel is like $$50 a gallon now thats y i went to a gas boat and they dont shut down in the middle of the pond
Old 08-09-2009, 09:41 PM
PAINLESS
My Feedback: (19)

Are there any guys running boats in your area? Seek out some help. Find out whats popular in your area and do something similar. Search NAMBA or IMPBA, they have lists of clubs in your state.
The learning curve can be steep. Having some one help you will be the difference between giving up in frustration and a life long hobby. Also talk to your local hobby shops about whats going on in your area.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Michagain Crazy Bob

HEY PAINLESS he dont have r/c shops or r/c clubs thats y he is out here asking us for info
Old 08-09-2009, 10:41 PM
srw1960

Sounds like you guys run with a bunch of inexperienced nitro boaters...properly tuned nitro is as reliable as gas..and 50 buck fuel?hmm 50 percent probably and that should only get used for racing not everyday running......and if you want absolutely never stops running you need to be in electric powered clean no mess and cheaper than gas or nitro.. and quick silver you mean there isnt ANY modification needed on a weed eater motor to put it into a boat????you dont have to remove any shrouds or build motor mounts? and my experience with pawn shop or flea market weedeaters hasent been good....and who is doing 40 buck cylinder mods to change it to a water cooled jacket??? I have a couple cylinders id like to send them?
Old 08-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here you go http://www.eellspdx.com/homelite.html That's $25 for the water jacket and $15 to machine your cylinder.He does good work and is great to deal with.Click on the blue writting for a description.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:28 AM
PAINLESS
My Feedback: (19)

Not sure where Stacked is located in Alabama, but the oldest club in IMPBA is here: http://www.geneh.rchomepage.com/
in Huntsville.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:23 PM
stackeddeck

On the gulf of mexico.. south as alabama gets... hours away frmo hunstville... checking out a ton of stuff from you guys right now thanks
Old 08-10-2009, 10:32 PM
srw1960

Thanks..I have 2 good homelite engines that id like to have converted
Old 08-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are 222 members on RCU who have listed RC boating as one of their disciplines and live in Alabama. Several in Mobile. http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/member-lookup.cfm (Do a search for boating members in AL)

Personally I would send a few e-mails to a few of the guys to see if anyone runs their boats locally and try to coordinate a meeting when they are running. See what they are running and get their feedback. I have met dozens of great guys over the years and found several new ponds where I can run. Part of what this hobby is about - running on your own is not much fun when things dont go your way - and it can be dangerous.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:20 PM
stackeddeck

kinda wierd for a kid my age trying to hook up with strangers to run rc boats.. would be awkward.. especially since Ihave no experience with rc boats.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:11 PM
dicko

Not at all, get your folks to take you down to meet the people & take a camera so you can take photos of the different setups & designs so that you can have a reference guide to when you get around to building you own. Talking to fellow boaters is the best way to learn, & you will learn a lot more & learn quicker by talking to people in person & asking questions than you will by reading through the forums.