Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines
Reload this Page >

World's First Turbocharged, Supercharged, and Nitrous Injected 2-Stroke RC Car!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Engines Talk about rc car nitro engines and gas engines
View Poll Results: How do you think this project will come to an end?
Many dead engines and complete embarassment
9.09%
Absolutely no power gains but it looks/sounds damn cool
45.45%
Massive power gains and no problems
0%
Giving up out of frustration before the project is finished
45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

World's First Turbocharged, Supercharged, and Nitrous Injected 2-Stroke RC Car!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 09:04 AM
FM98_GHIF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb World's First Turbocharged, Supercharged, and Nitrous Injected 2-Stroke RC Car!

Alright I know. You guys are gonna say I'm crazy, and i probably am. But I will put this out there first thing:

I AM NOT GOING FOR THE MOST POWER

I know that a turbocharger is almost impossible to make good power with on a 2 stroke, and that superchargers are questionable too. I simply want to have a working combination of the three. However if i end up making some crazy power out of it, I'm not exactly going to complain...

If at some point the engine were to catastrophically fall on its own face and disintegrate internally, it will just be replaced by something bigger and the project will go on.

Of course the only limiting factor here is cost, and that's why the build will not officially be "started" until the weekend after spring break. That's when i'll have the money to really get the project off the ground.

Please feel free to insult me or my ideas, or, god forbid, give me some advice as this is my first big nitro build. But you wont stop me, so you might as well help out and enjoy the ride!

(Will be updated as project is underway)
My current plans are as follows:

Buy the turbocharger (GE-S2) - DONE
Buy the RTR car (redcat tornado) - WAITING
Buy and install RB Innovations Supercharger Kit - WAITING
Modify intake and exhaust to accommodate turbo - WAITING
Buy and install RB Innovations Nitrous Kit - WAITING

TUNE IN WEEKLY FOR UPDATES!
***UPDATE*** (Feb. 23)

The turbo arrived last night. It looks good and today i will start doing some low pressure stress testing seeing what kind of boost numbers it will pull. I'll update again either tonight or tomorrow with results.

Last edited by FM98_GHIF; 02-23-2016 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Progress update
Old 02-18-2016, 11:22 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you talking about an RC car with a gasoline engine or a glow (nitro) engine?

if it is a Glow (nitro) engine; you DO know what NITRO stands for in the composition of these fuels, right?

it's your money, you do with it whatever you want, but I think you have the answers to your own questions.

Rafael
Old 02-18-2016, 12:44 PM
FM98_GHIF

Originally Posted by Rafael23cc
Are you talking about an RC car with a gasoline engine or a glow (nitro) engine?

if it is a Glow (nitro) engine; you DO know what NITRO stands for in the composition of these fuels, right?

it's your money, you do with it whatever you want, but I think you have the answers to your own questions.

Rafael
The "nitro" is for either nitromethane, not nitrous oxide. I have seen many applications of nitrous oxide injection in nitro RC cars that gain 30%+ power.

Last edited by FM98_GHIF; 02-18-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Rafael23cc

I'd love to see someone inject nitroglycerin into a glow engine (or any engine). And of course, you avoided the primary question; is it a glow engine or a gas engine? not like it matters at this point.

just like I said before, it's your money. Not mine. Your engine, not mine. There is a reason why not everybody is racing to spend money on these things.

Rafael
Old 02-18-2016, 12:59 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by FM98_GHIF
The "nitro" is for either nitromethane, not nitrous oxide. I have seen many applications of nitrous oxide injection in nitro RC cars that gain 30%+ power.
How is that 30% power gain quantified? Nitrous oxide is used in gasoline engines to add oxygen to the fire which with extra fuel, makes more power. In model engines, nitromethane serves the same exact purpose. Using higher nitro will do the same thing - and probably more efficiently. Forced induction has been used on 2-stroke snowmobile engines with success, but most often those engines have some form of an exhaust valve. In a 2-stroke glow engine, the crankcase is what needs to be pressurized above atmospheric pressure to do any good, however there have been no proven methods of using forced induction in such a small glow engine with repeatable results and some sort of scientific proof it actually works. Dyno results will prove it, but anyone who has a glow engine dyno probably knows it's a bit of a snake in the grass to make anyone believe it actually works. Ad hype means nothing. I have an RB Innovations supercharger and it really is a joke both in how it's made and how it functions.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:18 PM
FM98_GHIF

Originally Posted by Rafael23cc
I'd love to see someone inject nitroglycerin into a glow engine (or any engine). And of course, you avoided the primary question; is it a glow engine or a gas engine? not like it matters at this point.

just like I said before, it's your money. Not mine. Your engine, not mine. There is a reason why not everybody is racing to spend money on these things.

Rafael
yeah i meant to just say nitromethane i changed it but it must not have shown up yet when you saw the reply. Its a glow engine, and like i said in the orignal post, im not looking for crazy amounts of power, and im aware that it probably wont do anything productive. Im doing it for myself and all the other people that would rather try it and see what all happens when you actually do try it. Its for fun. Ever do something just for fun?
Old 02-18-2016, 01:22 PM
FM98_GHIF

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
How is that 30% power gain quantified? Nitrous oxide is used in gasoline engines to add oxygen to the fire which with extra fuel, makes more power. In model engines, nitromethane serves the same exact purpose. Using higher nitro will do the same thing - and probably more efficiently. Forced induction has been used on 2-stroke snowmobile engines with success, but most often those engines have some form of an exhaust valve. In a 2-stroke glow engine, the crankcase is what needs to be pressurized above atmospheric pressure to do any good, however there have been no proven methods of using forced induction in such a small glow engine with repeatable results and some sort of scientific proof it actually works. Dyno results will prove it, but anyone who has a glow engine dyno probably knows it's a bit of a snake in the grass to make anyone believe it actually works. Ad hype means nothing. I have an RB Innovations supercharger and it really is a joke both in how it's made and how it functions.
If you read the original post carefully, you'll see that I said, "I know that a turbocharger is almost impossible to make good power with on a 2 stroke, and that superchargers are questionable too." I literally just want to build it for two reasons: To see what exactly happens so that these kinds of conversations never have to happen again, and to say I've done it.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:31 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

If you read the original post carefully, you'll see that I said, "I know that a turbocharger is almost impossible to make good power with on a 2 stroke, and that superchargers are questionable too." I literally just want to build it for two reasons: To see what exactly happens so that these kinds of conversations never have to happen again, and to say I've done it.
And I'm saying turbochargers do work on 2-stroke engines; quite well in fact. Just probably not on something as small as our little glow engines.

Do you have a way of actually measuring power production of the engine besides just driving the car around?
Old 02-18-2016, 01:39 PM
Rafael23cc

Ever do something just for fun?
I work a little more efficiently. If I think it will work, yes. When I know the answer, I don't bother. I've got many other projects to finish that are just as fun.

Rafael
Old 02-18-2016, 03:31 PM
FM98_GHIF

And I'm saying turbochargers do work on 2-stroke engines; quite well in fact. Just probably not on something as small as our little glow engines.

Do you have a way of actually measuring power production of the engine besides just driving the car around?
No I don't sadly. As for now i will have to rely on my ear and eye powered dyno lol
Old 02-18-2016, 03:58 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

No I don't sadly. As for now i will have to rely on my ear and eye powered dyno lol
Then you will have a very hard time determining if the work you're doing (and money you're spending) is actually doing anything positive. I think you should get in contact with some of the guys that have dynos and have them test the engine. This way you can show without a doubt whether it works or not. I'm sorry to say you wont prove much with eyes and ears alone. I wish you the best of luck though.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:54 PM
FM98_GHIF

Then you will have a very hard time determining if the work you're doing (and money you're spending) is actually doing anything positive. I think you should get in contact with some of the guys that have dynos and have them test the engine. This way you can show without a doubt whether it works or not. I'm sorry to say you wont prove much with eyes and ears alone. I wish you the best of luck though.
That's a good idea. I'll either find someone who has a good dyno or maybe (depending on the cost) get one myself. I'll also do time tests like 50 ft and 100 ft before and after so i can show the real-world difference along with just the numbers. Thanks for the positive input i encourage you to check back in a few weeks when the build is fully underway.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:33 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

You could try contacting some of the nitro mod guys and see if they have any interest in testing the engines. A few that I know of that are reputable are ABMods, Extreme RC performance, and The Nitro Shop. Neal, the owner of The Nitro Shop posts here, perhaps he will have some input if he reads this thread? I don't guarantee anyone will test your engine, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:48 AM
FM98_GHIF

You could try contacting some of the nitro mod guys and see if they have any interest in testing the engines. A few that I know of that are reputable are ABMods, Extreme RC performance, and The Nitro Shop. Neal, the owner of The Nitro Shop posts here, perhaps he will have some input if he reads this thread? I don't guarantee anyone will test your engine, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
I would ask you to see if hes interested in checking it out but at the same time i don't want to be the laughing stock of the RC community with this build lol. If you could get him to at least check out my idea that'd be really cool. I want as much input as possible to make sure I'm going about doing it all correctly.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:20 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I would ask you to see if hes interested in checking it out but at the same time i don't want to be the laughing stock of the RC community with this build lol. If you could get him to at least check out my idea that'd be really cool. I want as much input as possible to make sure I'm going about doing it all correctly.
Neal is on the forum pretty frequently. You could send him a PM too. His username is "Supertib" without quotes. As far as RCU members go, he is probably the most knowledgeable that is still active here.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:28 AM
FM98_GHIF

Neal is on the forum pretty frequently. You could send him a PM too. His username is "Supertib" without quotes. As far as RCU members go, he is probably the most knowledgeable that is still active here.
OH Supertib! I'm new here but I've seen some older threads with him getting into some interesting arguments on this exact subject actually. I didnt know he was still active. Thanks I will talk to him!
Old 02-26-2016, 09:32 AM
Barracuz

Damn man you are everywhere!

I think too keep things neat and everyone on the same page maybe just stick to one forum and just crosslink them?
Old 02-28-2016, 06:33 PM
FM98_GHIF

Originally Posted by Barracuz
Damn man you are everywhere!

I think too keep things neat and everyone on the same page maybe just stick to one forum and just crosslink them?
Ohhh i didnt know you could. Im new to the forum and i couldnt figure it out so i figured it wasnt an option
Old 03-03-2016, 05:58 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nitrous works very well on these engines...will make extra power for sure.... just difficult to get the mixture right, have to use some of the nitrous pressure to pressurize the fuel tank via a distribution box... you can make quite a bit of power with it as it allows you to burn more methanol which carries more overall energy density then Nitromethane....

Turbo's work on 2 strokes..... even ones without exhaust valves ( exhaust valves just slightly alter exhaust timing or flow path volume ...from 155-190 degree..but the exhaust is still wide open

Superchargers also work on 2 strokes as well.........just issue is we have no proper superchargers for our micro engines and no proper turbochargers...

but regardless you can boost 2 strokes both by supercharger and turbocharger as well Nitrous does work and works really well at making power, issue is good luck keeping your glowplugs intact.....
Old 03-03-2016, 06:54 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Well, there's always doing a CDI ignition conversion as an option. You use a 1/4-32 spark plug and CDI ignition unit. The aircraft guys do it all the time. Whether the plug cap will fit a car heatsink head is the question.

The guys that do the conversion often note the engine makes more power and uses less fuel because the ignition is controlled by the ignition unit rather than controlling the ignition point with glow plug heat range and oil content of the fuel. You could probably get away with less oil in the fuel too.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:57 AM
Anthoop

Well, there's always doing a CDI ignition conversion as an option. You use a 1/4-32 spark plug and CDI ignition unit. The aircraft guys do it all the time. Whether the plug cap will fit a car heatsink head is the question.

The guys that do the conversion often note the engine makes more power and uses less fuel because the ignition is controlled by the ignition unit rather than controlling the ignition point with glow plug heat range and oil content of the fuel. You could probably get away with less oil in the fuel too.
RPM is the problem....making a unit/system that will work upto 40k rpm.

The whole charging of two strokes is a waste of time....better to add variable exhaust and inlet timing before trying forced induction...pfft snow scooters and max rpm.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:07 AM
Anthoop

"exhaust valves just slightly alter exhaust timing or flow path volume ...from 155-190 degree..but the exhaust is still wide open"
Funny that was...thanks.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:09 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Anthoop
RPM is the problem....making a unit/system that will work upto 40k rpm.

The whole charging of two strokes is a waste of time....better to add variable exhaust and inlet timing before trying forced induction...pfft snow scooters and max rpm.
I doubt the engine would hold together long enough for it to matter. I've read 22,000-30,000 is fine. These engines often make peak torque under 30K which is your best pulling power anyway.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:36 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anthoop
Funny that was...thanks.
do you even understand how exhaust valves work on a 2 stroke ?
Old 03-15-2016, 11:21 AM
Anthoop

Originally Posted by supertib
do you even understand how exhaust valves work on a 2 stroke ?
No not at all....please explain... ( note my sarcasm but carry on and give me the run down as it will be entertaining).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.