Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Traxxas, is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 05:56 PM
steed2-inactive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas, is it just me?

whats your guys take on traxxas lately? their vehicles seem to be very boring and they seem to use the same chassis for everything, especially that 1/16 mustang,rally,race truck...lol. have they lost their creativity or am i just complaining? Whats your guys opinion on the subject? Are they going the "walmart way" and just mass producing a bunch of rebadged vehicles for the mass's, and putting all their money into advertising. I check their website often hoping to find a big release and just keep getting disappointed.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Ducat1

Default RE: Traxxas, is it just me?

It's just you lol... But I think there just mass producing there products. Im not getting bored of there products. E Revo nitro Revo jATO rustler ect are still interesting to me.... But maybe you had a specific model for too long go out and adventure with one. But u opinion is they should supprise us with a trail truck or rock crawler...
Old 08-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Nitroaddicted

it vry ificint. traxxas iz gud. I no git brd bi thim at al.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: steed2

whats your guys take on traxxas lately?

I just sold my Slash 4x4 today (my last Traxxas) because I came to the realization a few weeks ago that Traxxas is junk. They are all the same cars that just have different names. I used to love Traxxas but I realized that the only RCs that I was fixing everyday were the Traxxas ones. My Slash could not make it through an entire battery without stripping out a gear because some minute thing was 12/1000th of an inch out of wack (had LHS guy use a micrometer).Stripped out the planetary gear on my Emaxx everytime I ran it. Stampede had the same sort of problems. Got to the point that I would just baby them (no jumping, no high speed runs) in hopes that I could just run them once without breaking something but that didn't help either. All my Traxxas RCs work well for 6 months and then turn into garbage.

Sorry for the rant and not trying to offend any Traxxas fanboys or start a war

Old 08-16-2011, 07:59 PM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

whats your guys take on traxxas lately?

I just sold my Slash 4x4 today ( my last Traxxas) because I came to the realization a few weeks ago that Traxxas is junk. They are all the same cars that just have different names. I used to love Traxxas but I realized that the only RCs that I was fixing everyday were the Traxxas ones. My Slash could not make it through an entire battery without stripping out a gear because some minute thing was 12/1000th of an inch out of wack (had LHS guy use a micrometer). Stripped out the planetary gear on my Emaxx everytime I ran it. Stampede had the same sort of problems. Got to the point that I would just baby them (no jumping, no high speed runs) in hopes that I could just run them once without breaking something but that didn't help either. All my Traxxas RCs work well for 6 months and then turn into garbage.

Sorry for the rant and not trying to offend any Traxxas fanboys or start a war

Strange, I beat the $%^# out of my Slash's and rarely break anything. Everyone has different experiences though, for instance most people swear by Associated but I've had nothing but problems with them.

I generally like Traxxas products, and mine work well for me so I'm happy with them. I do agree though they need to come out with something new, and I'm sick of all the "new" releases on the mini e-revo chassis. I'm also sick of the way a certain employee and some mods act on their forum.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: robwiljas
Strange, I beat the $%^# out of my Slash's and rarely break anything. Everyone has different experiences though, for instance most people swear by Associated but I've had nothing but problems with them.
I generally like Traxxas products, and mine work well for me so I'm happy with them. I do agree though they need to come out with something new, and I'm sick of all the "new" releases on the mini e-revo chassis.
And I can respect that. I just found it strange that I babied myTraxxases and I've beat the **** out of my HPIs and my Losis, yet the Traxxases are the only ones that are ever apart onmy dining room table.

I'm also sick of the way a certain employee and some mods act on their forum.
I've heard that its pretty bad
Old 08-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I like traxxas. They are a good company with decent products .
Old 08-16-2011, 09:05 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The whole industry is lacking innovation right now, though there are still interesting things happening with really high end stuff.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:52 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Indeed. As above, the bashers are desperately trying to keep up with the Chinese and just plowing out cash cow after cash cow, with quality and innovation taking a back seat to throughput. It's sad.

However, as Sheo pointed out. At the top end of the hobby nothing's changed. Because these guys are in the hobby to be the best and because they love the hobby. Mugen, Xray, Kyosho, etc.

Having tried a few varied products lately, I've been largely disappointed and simply reminded that its better to pay the big bucks for something that is really good rather than try to work out the kinks in the middle of the road stuff.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:01 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

x100 on Foxy and Sheo.

ThunderbirdJunkie has spent a LOT of time dialing in his SC10 4x4. Granted, it shouldn't be a surprise, because NO new Associated model comes out with a decent setup to begin with, but this one took even more work than an RC10B2 in 1996.

The midrange non-2wd-buggy stuff is not being figured out quickly by the pros. ThunderbirdJunkie is pretty sure he is the first person to try the stuff he's got on his SC10 4x4...the truck drove AWFUL in stock form on the track...it's gotten progressively better, but unlike the "big class" midrange stuff (2wd SCT, 2w buggy, 2w truck), none of the pro setups have worked particularly well anywhere ITBJHO. The advantage of the 2w SCTs and the Losi 22 is that the companies keep so much the same compared to their old stuff that the veterans can figure it out quickly.

The high end stuff? Lutz has the Durango 4w SCT pretty well figured out...some guys have figured out the Losi SCTE but the truck still sucks...

If you want GOOD...just jump right to top dawg stuff...Durango, Mugen, Xray, Kyosho...for the midrange stuff...prepare to figure out its faults and have a lot of patience...for the lower end stuff like Traxxas and Redcat, let's hope your first race with the thing isn't the beginning of a points series, because you WILL NOT figure it out its foibles before the series is over.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:51 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What you are going to find here is a a lot of people are going to talk trash about Traxxas they're the biggest name in the business and everyone guns for the guy on top.

Personally I am a fan of their products. I've been in this hobby for 25+ yrs and have owned just about every major brand out there and Traxxas builds some of the toughest stuff you can buy. I will admit that I'm not a fan of the 1/16 scale stuff and stopped buying them after a Mini Slash and Revo. The Nastruck, Summit and rally's don't do anything for me and I think they have played out that chassis. You must admit that they have a very smart business team as they are making a ton of money and all those truck are selling like crazy.

I would like to see new stuff. An 1/8 scale buggy, a true rock crawler and a race ready 2wd buggy and stadium truck would be nice. Also waiting on an SCB like the Losi.

I think the SCB could be a huge market for Traxxas seeing how the Losi is doing so poorly. After seeing the Losi SCB's in action at RCX and watching them break after just a few minutes of use it's clear that Losi still doesn't have their act together. At one point all three of the test cars where off the track broken at the same time. In the hands of a racer that buggy might live but in the hands of the average guy it will be in pieces in just a few minutes.

I have currently have everything I want from the Traxxas line up so I won;t be buying anything from them until they come up with something new.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:21 AM
Foxy

Traxxas are completely insignificant outside the US market. I'm in this hobby 26 years, have only ever seen ONE traxxas RC in the flesh. What's more I've never seen one that I even remotely wanted to own. They are way below my minimum quality mark. Maybe it's cos I'm European and used to the high quality stuff. /shrug

PS. HPI make them look small time.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:45 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: john01374
I think the SCB could be a huge market for Traxxas seeing how the Losi is doing so poorly...In the hands of a racer that buggy might live but in the hands of the average guy it will be in pieces in just a few minutes.
Racing is way harder on cars than bashing, and the SCB is selling EXTREMELY well...better than the Slash right now, according to ThunderbirdJunkie's LHS.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:14 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I like traxxas personally. That said, Im not saying they have the best vehicle in every category, but they have some very respectable performing vehicles and have brought some innovations to the market...

Traxxas was the first waterproof- Now HPI and Associated are following with their waterproofed brushless vehicles. I dont really consider any of traxxas' stuff to be top quality, but none of it is really low quality either.

Im really liking the summit myself. An all purpose take it and run it anywhere truck. Remote locking differentials and high and low range as well as factory LED lighting. Thats a pretty darn awesome combo IMO.

So far i have found vehicles i like from nearly every brand. I like most of traxxas' stuff ok, but some of their vehicles could use some upgraded parts/ redesigned areas. Its about time they put aluminum bulks on the e-maxx and t-maxx from the factory. They need a big block engine and strong truck with steel CVD's to put it in as well. Things like that are where they are lacking IMO. You can buy a brushless e-maxx or brushless Savage Flux for about the same price. However, the flux has an aluminum chassis, steel CVD's, and a 10x stronger design as well as the same brushless system. The E-Maxx has a plastic chassis that liked to snap, just like the plastic driveshafts do with the MMM, and the bumpers and bulkheads will break from the slightest hit.

So anyways, my point is traxxas has their good and bad vehicles just like any company does. Overall i think they make good products though.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:22 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

They need a big block engine and strong truck with steel CVD's to put it in as well. Things like that are where they are lacking IMO.
they need to get rid of the plastic sliders(along with the rest of the plastic in the drivechain) on all their RC's IMO, and replace them with either CVD's, or dogbones both I think would be an upgrade

Hell they can go do that and resell every single RC they make as a new model
Old 08-17-2011, 04:47 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

They need a big block engine and strong truck with steel CVD's to put it in as well. Things like that are where they are lacking IMO.
they need to get rid of the plastic sliders(along with the rest of the plastic in the drivechain) on all their RC's IMO, and replace them with either CVD's, or dogbones both I think would be an upgrade

Hell they can go do that and resell every single RC they make as a new model
The worst part is that they make their own CVD's for the revo, maxx trucks, etc..., yet people buy them and then buy the CVD's extra. I guess they have the money making part figured out....
Old 08-17-2011, 06:28 PM
moe7404

iam new to r/c 3 years, but iam old enough to know when iam told to do something by someone who isnt my mommy. i have 3 traxxas machines. in traxxas rules of the forum. they TELL you to not do drugs, tobacco, alcohol. i may be 62 but i still have a mommy, i dont need a second. if i had known they were like that i would have bought a different brand.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:17 PM
p51Dpony

This past weekend this group burned about a gallon of nitro, I can tell you as the "instructor" I was appreciative of the electric start that the nitro rustlers and nitro sports had!  pull starting gets old in 105 degree weather real fast!  two bigger boys in back my sons and the rest are neighborhood kids, we usually do airplanes on the weekend but a few months back the 'students' found a broken car on the shelf, they got pumped and I was glad to get it off my shelf, next thing you know we fixed up a few old cars and got some new ones and their youthful excitement and the smell of fresh burning nitro made it all worthwhile!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:21 PM
p51Dpony

In that pic above the HPI car suspension is poetry in motion, at high and low speed and tight turns it holds the ground wonderfully and renewed my faith in humankind.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:12 PM
xerxes

thundr tigr > traxxas

traxxas > losi

/ topik
Old 08-18-2011, 04:04 AM
The Mad Modder

whats your guys take on traxxas lately? their vehicles seem to be very boring and they seem to use the same chassis for everything, especially that 1/16 mustang,rally,race truck...lol. have they lost their creativity or am i just complaining? Whats your guys opinion on the subject? Are they going the ''walmart way'' and just mass producing a bunch of rebadged vehicles for the mass's, and putting all their money into advertising. I check their website often hoping to find a big release and just keep getting disappointed.
I realized that back when they started advertising the top speed of each model. Also rather than actually make a real onroad car, they just changed the wheels of the mini e-revo and slapped a disproportionally wide mustang or fiesta body on it. They clearly don't care if it's made properly, just as long as it sells.

ORIGINAL: xerxes

thundr tigr > traxxas

traxxas > losi

/ topik
What, is your "E" key broken?
Old 08-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Ttowntoolman

Traxxas is selling more models than anyone right now in this tough economy, at least here in the states. Brilliant statagies for advertizing and marketing their vehicals everywhere has done this for them, why change? You all got a better stratagie? If your selling twice as much as the nearest competitor why would you change anything, ride the wave until she runs flat.

By no means am I implying that Traxxas makes the best cars/trucks, but they do know how to market their product to the masses.

I own Zero Traxxas models. [:'(]
Old 08-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Scottgir

ORIGINAL: Ttowntoolman

Traxxas is selling more models than anyone right now in this tough economy, at least here in the states. Brilliant statagies for advertizing and marketing their vehicals everywhere has done this for them, why change? You all got a better stratagie? If your selling twice as much as the nearest competitor why would you change anything, ride the wave until she runs flat.

By no means am I implying that Traxxas makes the best cars/trucks, but they do know how to market their product to the masses.

I own Zero Traxxas models. [:'(]
This hobby has always been this way. In the 80's Tamiya was king of popularity. It's all about distribution. Tamiya had their stuff in every hobby shop. I had to drive to one of 3 hobby shops in Connecticut if I wanted parts for my Kyosho. Go to any hobby shop anywhere and you'll see traxxas. But popular and distribution doesn't equal quality and performance.

That said, I tip my cap to Traxxas. They do more to keep our hobby popular than anyone else. I hope they don't change (other than changing their marketing to keep themselves popular).
Old 08-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Scottgir

ORIGINAL: xerxes

thundr tigr > traxxas

traxxas > losi

/ topik
Thundr tigr, is that when Tigr farts during his bouncing?

Aside from popularity, how is Traxxas > Losi?

TLR22 > Bandit (heck my JRX2 (from 1987) > Bandit)
XXXT-MF2 > Rustler
SCTE > Slash 4x4
XXX-SCT > Slash > Strike (strike < Slash only because of quality of parts, designs are basically the same)
LST > T-Maxx
JRXS > 4tec
High Roller < Stampede (only on quality of components, designs are basically the same)

Can't compare other models because they're don't correlate.

PS why do you want to end testing for proficiency in Korean?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:38 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: john01374
I think the SCB could be a huge market for Traxxas seeing how the Losi is doing so poorly...In the hands of a racer that buggy might live but in the hands of the average guy it will be in pieces in just a few minutes.
Racing is way harder on cars than bashing, and the SCB is selling EXTREMELY well...better than the Slash right now, according to ThunderbirdJunkie's LHS.

I don't necessarily agree with you. A race track is a tough play ground but Bashers like to do extreme stuff like jumping over their house or playing at the skate part. These kinds of abuse are far greater than what you would find on any race track unless they were running some kind of RC demo derby. My comment about the car surviving in the hands of a racer was more about driver skill and ability to make the car live. Put and SCB in the hands of an unskilled basher and you will get exactly what happened at RCX. A whole lot of broken buggies.

I don't doubt the SCB is out selling the Slash is some markets. I remember when the Strike came out. The first 3 or 4 months those things sold like crazy and everybody and their brother had one and we all know how bad those turned out to be. I have no doubt that a racer can get the SCB to live through a race but in the hands of the average basher I think we're going to be looking at a lot of broken parts. At RCX I was talking to several guys while watching the SCB's run and we all had the same conclusion.. None of us were buying one based on what we saw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.