Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Let's talk about engines.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 04:05 AM
steed2-inactive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's talk about engines.

So I was just sitting here thinking about the experience I have gained in 5 years of the hobby and the engines I have ran. What my favorite engine has been, the characteristics of each engine, and got wondering what your guys take is on engines. What do you guys prefer? Here my list that I have ran.
Hpi force 28, Trx 3.3, dynamite .19, lrp 30 spec 2, lrp 32, force 26, Mach 26(black head losi aftershock), axial 32 rr1, and I think that's about it.
The bad- nothing is worst than the force 26 engine, what a pos, overheats, will not hold a tune, idle hangs, etc just horrible, is it my tuning...maybe but I have read other people having the same issues, the axial, ummm...well not my favorite- choked top end and less power than any decent 28, the lrps are great engines, good build quality, excellent power (also the 32 feel the same as the 30) only issue I have had is they like to load up the bottom end with fuel while idling, but this could be used error. The dynamite, excellent engine for the price, feels more torquey than a 3.3 but with a wee less top end a.nd holds a tune very well, the 3.3 is a good motor, let's face it when they get a proper tune they do kick ass, getting that tune is the issue, and the f4.6, this motor, as funny as it sounds, is my favorite engine, I know ...why right? Well to be honest, the power is great, sure it's a rtr engine but it really does have excellent power, it eats the axial 32 for lunch, and holds a tune better than any of the others, just a great user friendly, easy to tune, kick ass engine. It's not just about power for me, if I am turning needles more than doin wheelies it's a deal breaker for me. Also the f series engine shouldnt be confused with the k series in the SS savage kits, the k is just another choked up axial engine.

Well guys that's my experience, let's hear yours, cheers -scott
Also maybe supertib will chime in and give us some technical reasons for like why a f series engine will idle all day long but the lrps load up with fuel?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:39 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Let's talk about engines.

Well, it's winter, so why not.... I hate TV.

Of course I really like my SH-based engines - Machs, LRP's, Dynamite Big Red, etc... I'm currently running:

1.) silver Mach 427/2047 pipe in an Ofna DM-1
2.) Losi 454/stock pipe in LST2 #1
3.) Dynamite Big Red .28/stock pipe in LST2 #2
4.) Nosram RS.30RR(rebadged LRP ZR.30X)/JP-4 in an SC8
5.) Modded Nosram RS.21RR(rebadged Picco/Jammin JPX, etc..)/Ofna 086 in an RC8T truggy
6.) RB Fire 11/2058 in an RC8.2 buggy

I also have an Argus A52/0801 on the side, which is great in buggy or truggy. So, six RC's, and seven engine-pipe combos..

This winter I am getting a new RB Blast V9(already ordered from amain when they were going cheap last weekend..), and probably a .28 of some kind to share between the DM-1 and LST2's...(and maybe SC8). Good chance it will be a Picco Torque .28.

I like all of the above engines - more or less equally.. I mean really like.. I am thrilled with every single one of them, and cannot complain about any of them. They all have their place, all deliver great for what I paid for and expected of them.

A couple of points re my outlook regarding engines:

1.) I don't care what anybody says. I have become a massive cheapskate: there are too many good deals out there if you are patient, and you really can get excellent, fantastic engines for good prices. The only engines in my list above that cost more than €200 were the Fire 11 (€200ish with pipe, which I sold for €55, so really like €150 for the engine..), and €130 for the Nosram 21.RR/Picco, but I paid €85 to get it modded, so €220ish all up - the most I've ever paid for an engine. All prices including shipping, all bought new, mostly from shops, not randomly off forums or ebay.. The Nosrams were being sold off at rock-bottom prices, half or in the case of the 30, way below half of the normal price. None of the others cost more than €120. The RB Blast V9 I just bought should work out to about €135-140 with pipe. For bashing the MT's and DM-1 for ex., some more power would come in handy. With the buggy and truggy, if anything I would need a less powerful engine to be able to get faster lap times.

2.) Pet winter theory: people underestimate how sound affects their perception of speed. Over the years there has been this big deal argument, LRP Spec 3 vs. Picco 28, and lots of people want to swear up and down that the Picco "blows the doors off the LRP", which IMHO is total nonsense. The Picco maybe sounds crisper, but I don't think it's faster by much, if at all. No video of budbud with all his Picco-powered Savages ever proved anything different to me. No offense to him or any other Picco fans. But a better sounding engine is not necessarily a faster one.

3.) Racism. It, IMHO, is the main reason people swear up and down that Italian engines are "better" than Asian engines. I am the least PC - or maybe the most un-PC - person I know - so that's not what it's about. But peoples' blind reflexive holding on to this baseless idea that Italian engines have to be better than Asian engines has no basis in anything other than ignorance and wishful thinking afaic. OS - Japanese, okay, but still Asian - many people would say are the best engines period. I also disagree with the notion %100 that Italian engines last longer. Why would they? Even if they do have "better quality materials", most engines will go 6-10 gallons before needing a rebuild or whatever.., wherever they're from.. The insistence that Italian engines are better reminds me of those stories of American car companies requiring employees driving Japanese cars to park further from the plant. Instead of making those employees prefer to buy the US product because it was better... Asia, and not only Japan, puts out good engines - LRP's and co for bashing, and Alpha for racing for ex...

So, those are my nitro-related thoughts for this holiday season.. Let the flaming begin...
Old 11-29-2012, 09:33 AM
sparky 25

Just noticed you have nosram/picco as being the same thing,

The nosram is a rebadged Lrp and not a picco engine.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 AM
HerrSavage

The 30 is a rebadged LRP 30.

The RS.21RR is a rebadged LRP ZR.21X - i.e. Picco.

Hundred percent.... It's my second one(first one not modded - also totally awesome... Same as Jammin JPX .21..)

Picco WAS the original producer for LRP and Nosram before they switched to OS for the newest bestest ones...
Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had more than I care to remember but my favorite was a Werks B6. That engine had tons of power and an awesome top end. Was easy to tune and would idle through an entire tank of fuel without bogging down ans stalling. Second faovorite was a OS .21 VZB V-spec. It was another great engine Very smooth and responsive wasn't as easy to tune as the Werks but it was pretty good too. My favorite RTR engine is the teal Headed Mach 427. Very reliable engine good power and topend for "cheap" engine.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:16 AM
ejc34710

Okay, here we go, if i can remember them all. TRX .15, TRX 3.3, Novarossi .12, OS .12 and .15 CV-R, HPI .15 (came with rtr RS4), HPI .25, LRP .28 spec 3, Mach .26.

TRX .15- i was ok with these engines. Always seemed to run ok, although they usually run hotter than most other engines i've used.
TRX 3.3- makes gobs of power if tuned right, but i absoluly HATE these engines. I have had nothin but problems out of them. And that soft composite carb never failed to strip. And whats with those plugs on the carb? A 3.3 with an OS carb, Boca bearings and Davis rod was bouncin around in my head for a while. But too much $$. Would b killer tho.
Novarossi .12- loved this engine. probably one of the best engines ive had the pleasure of running.
OS CV-Rs- What can you say? Great engines. Used quite a few and never had a prob. Holds a tune awesome.
HPI .15- ehh it was ok. not my favorite by any means but it worked.
HPI .25- got a used Savage x and this engine was in it. Ran ok, but not enough power.
LRP 28r- Love it! Currently whats in my Savage. Mine loads up a little too on the low end, but only for the 1st half of the tank. Darn mid tank lean. After half the tank gone tho, it'll happily flip my extended Savage on its lid.
Mach .26- My buddy just got a used Savage with this engine on it. So far so good, but we've only ran it for a minute or two.

Only engine i ever really hated was the trx 3.3. Actually, i have a junk one my neighbor and i are gonna try his barret .50 on. Justice will be mine...
Old 11-29-2012, 10:25 AM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: ejc34710

Only engine i ever really hated was the trx 3.3. Actually, i have a junk one my neighbor and i are gonna try his barret .50 on. Justice will be mine...

LOL! I can't agree more about the TRX 3.3!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:08 AM
steed2-inactive

ORIGINAL: yakfish

ORIGINAL: ejc34710

LOL! I can't agree more about the TRX 3.3!
+2
Old 11-29-2012, 11:15 AM
HerrSavage

I've never had a Traxxas engine, but the worst I've had is a Hot Bodies - i.e. Force - .26 - the stock engine in a Lightning GT. Was a POC.. So I agree with steed2 with what he said in the first post..

All the rest, except a Novarossi 528XR, have been quite good.. So, like 15+ good ones, and two bad ones.. Better ratio probably than for most RC stuff..
Old 11-29-2012, 01:33 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I've never had a Traxxas engine, but the worst I've had is a Hot Bodies - i.e. Force - .26 - the stock engine in a Lightning GT. Was a POC.. So I agree with steed2 with what he said in the first post..

All the rest, except a Novarossi 528XR, have been quite good.. So, like 15+ good ones, and two bad ones.. Better ratio probably than for most RC stuff..
That's surprising that you had a bad experience with the Novarossi. Especially since your comparing it largely to SH based engines (which i like just fine. Not bashing SH engines). I had an old Novarossi .12 something a few years ago and that was my only experience with the brand, but I have never heard anything but good about Novarossi. You probably just got one of the few dud engines.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Ttowntoolman

I love the OS 25xz favorite big block, broke in easy, holds tune great, big balls, over 10 gals no problems.

I Love the OS 12xz favorite small block ever, broke in easy, a little finiky with the tune, screams like I never heard anything scream before. Sounds like it makes 50,000 rpms

I have had great luck with Os 18cvrx have owned 3 of them all run great yet after 4 years. Have one 18cvr same engine bump only, just as good, tons of power, easy to tune, last seemingly forever. Actually put the last one on Hyper 7 for 3 months just to beat, worked OK.

I presently have a Nova 28-7 Mod from CRE, this thing is scary strong. Not the easiest to keep a perfect tune, but when it is perfect you would think it had a power adder of some kind. The most powerfull engine I have had the pleasure of owning. Of coarse not my favorite because it will eat any drivetrain you put in front of it. It is presently on my Savage now, eating parts every outting.

I own an OSv-spec 21 vsb and I really like it. Got it used so I cant say too much, it has much power for a 21 for sure.

I own a Nova P5X 21 that I got used. It is OK, nothing spectacular, it is modded by a different place than my CRE nova. I think it makes less power than the stock V-spec.

I bought new a RB Killer 9 21 engine. It was tough to break in. It was a bit hard to tune. The thing really screamed though when you got it right. I always had trouble with this engine locking up on the starter box. It would get stuck at top and I had to pry it past with a screw driver. Owned it for 4 gals, sold it with same condition, sticking at top. Agrivated me trying to start engine for a-main, everyones reving there stuff up next to you and yours gets stuck and you cant hear........AHHHHH! It really did run good though....

I bought and broke in a Werks B6 pro for one of my sons. It was by far the easiest to break in, and it is the smoothest engine I have ever driven. Big power, holds a good tune and just screems. Great engine.

I bought and broke in for my other son (twins) a Dynomite 26 mach2. It broke in easy, and runs great, makes great power. Got a couple gals on it and it does run good. I finished my points season in 3rd place with my OS 25xz, the first place guy was running this Dynomite engine.

I own a LRP 28 spec3 that I got used. It has run great for me, beat it on hyper 7, and Savage, good engine, good power. I have a couple gals on it since I got it for $40 no issues, good engine.

I got a couple of associated 15X engines in a package deal. I modded one of them (opened up ports) myself and it runs great, looks like a RTR engine and has a pull start so it just sits in a box of bashers.

I got a couple of Sirio .12 engines in a package deal. I modded (opened up ports) on one of them and it gets to live in my back-up GT. It runs good, hold tune good, not over powerfull good for slick track oval.

TIRDS;
Started out with Duratrax RTR nitro stadium trucks with the stock 18. They did run good but did not last too long with the abn sleeves. Resleeved and new pistons each once before we figured out these needed to be replaced with abc engines.

My Hyper 7 TQ black addition came with a Hyper 21 3 port engine. It broke in fair and ran OK, but too low on power for me.

My son brought home an Exceed buggy with a VX 16 in it. It ran but is was like wimpy. Like a 5 w bulb in your garage.....

I have wrenched on many others that were not mine, so I disqualify my opinion of those. Except for one, A dynomite platinum 24 xp of my buddies. We broke it in @my place and he pits with me @the track. The engine is a tuning nightmare and maybe it is my buddy, but man, it never runs right. Low power, Boging out of the corner, overheating one time, running super rich another.......yuck.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:50 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have enjoyed this thread as much as any I've read on this forum. Being a nitro-head, I'm still absorbing EVERYTHING I can regarding these beautiful two-stroke gifts from God. ;-)

Other than "longevity", what can one expect (examples) from an O.S. engine vs a VX assuming they have the same specs (displacement, stroke, output, etc.).

I have run only RTR engines, and Iam extremely anxious to see what my O.S. .25xz offers compared to entire kits that cost the same amount. I realize fuel consumption vspowerband is subjective for what is desired, but I'm talking about flat out performance.

On thing I am certain of, there IS an extremely tangible difference in performance as I see some engines at my track that are a lot "different" (in a better way)than mine.

I'm not going to build my MBX6r until spring, but one thing is for sure....when it comes to engine performance, I will be all in. Regardless of anything, I want to ensure I have the best engine that can be mounted on a buggy. Be it a $150 engine or a $950 engine, this piece of hardware seems to be the great equalizer at the track.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:22 PM
yakfish

If I was looking for an engine and money was no object I would probably get something like a Novarossi Bonito or a OS .21XZ speed V-Spec. Or you get one of those and get it modded for even more umph!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:32 PM
HerrSavage

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

I have enjoyed this thread as much as any I've read on this forum. Being a nitro-head, I'm still absorbing EVERYTHING I can regarding these beautiful two-stroke gifts from God. ;-)

Other than ''longevity'', what can one expect (examples) from an O.S. engine vs a VX assuming they have the same specs (displacement, stroke, output, etc.).

I have run only RTR engines, and I am extremely anxious to see what my O.S. .25xz offers compared to entire kits that cost the same amount. I realize fuel consumption vs powerband is subjective for what is desired, but I'm talking about flat out performance.

On thing I am certain of, there IS an extremely tangible difference in performance as I see some engines at my track that are a lot ''different'' (in a better way) than mine.

I'm not going to build my MBX6r until spring, but one thing is for sure....when it comes to engine performance, I will be all in. Regardless of anything, I want to ensure I have the best engine that can be mounted on a buggy. Be it a $150 engine or a $950 engine, this piece of hardware seems to be the great equalizer at the track.

Disagree there. Driving ability and setup are far more important than the engine.. You can win races with some cheap RTR engine if you're a great driver, whereas a Speed or Bonito are pretty useless when your buggy is lying upside down after a boneheaded crash...
Old 12-02-2012, 06:19 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The modified Novarossi Bonito is my favorite engine......I have not seen another .21 that can match the power or RPM of this beast....This engine sounds radical and I can assure you its performance matches its sound........It is a shame to see, but many nitro enthusiasts will never get to own or try a nitro engine of this caliber.....And truthfully this engine has to be experienced first hand to be fully understood.......... If a person thinks a Werks B6 or a Go 5 port is fast then they have a entirely new world to explore, as the mod Bonito is much much stronger and faster..heck the mod Bonito will make every off the shelf race .21 seem tame..........

Edit.. Just to add another reason I like this engine is that it is very well rounded.... it has massive amounts of power down low yet still manages to rev to the moon.... a small number of .21's may match it down low, but they get crucified on top end by the Bonito, and likewise a few .21's may match the Bonito on top end but they get crucified on the low end by the Bonito...The engine has class leading performance on both the bottom and the top end, which is something you usually do not see from a .21 ...The the bottom end is insane, it is much like a .28 down low, and on the top end the thing revs like a onroad.... Yes this is a $469.00 engine, but after owning and driving one of these a person would really struggle to go back to running stock $200.00 race engines...

Clocked Bonito

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrJ-mI1a2bs[/youtube]

And I can promise that this engine is not just mean sounding, the performance is heads and shoulders above any stock .21....... this is not just a big noise maker.....