Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What to look for when buying a used 1/5 scale gasser?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What to look for when buying a used 1/5 scale gasser?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Microz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for when buying a used 1/5 scale gasser?

Hey guys. So after some thinking, I'm really interested in 1/5 scale. Now I'm not decided on electric or gasser yet, but either way it will be used. Im not worried about buying a used electric, but I am worried about buying a used gasser. What should I look for when buying a used gasser? Most probably will buy off of ebay.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:17 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: What to look for when buying a used 1/5 scale gasser?

ORIGINAL: Microz

Hey guys. So after some thinking, I'm really interested in 1/5 scale. Now I'm not decided on electric or gasser yet, but either way it will be used. Im not worried about buying a used electric, but I am worried about buying a used gasser. What should I look for when buying a used gasser? Most probably will buy off of ebay.
why used?
I rarely see used ones cheap enough to warrenty buying them over a new one. Most often, I see used at the same, if not more, than the cost of a new one. Many get expensive upgrades and the owners want alot because of this.
Its not often I see a 1/5 gasser less than $500...which is what a few different ones cost new. XT, XB, KM Baja ect.

Brushless ones cost even more. the XBE is the cheapest I know of. The KM brushless baja is about the same, or just a touch more....around $800. Others are hpi gasser's turned brushless...which cost usually over a grand.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Microz

Actually you are right. I just searched ebay after reading your post, and it looks like people are wanting around $800-$900 for a used one!!!! I know of the redcat 1/5 scales being cheaper than the HPI's, and I haven't heard of KM or any others...do you have any recommendations? Also, are KM cars any good? I think I'm gonna go gas just because they cost less up front...not sure about long term. Probably still cost around the same long term as an electric considering how much less gasoline costs than batteries...but then you buy gas more frequently, so I guess it levels out.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:15 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

na it wont level out really. Gas is still cheaper to run. A fraction of a gallon gets you 30-40 minutes of runtime.
From what I have seen, even 5000mah lipo packs only run 15...maybe 20 minutes in 1/5 scale models.
And a 4s, 6s or 8s lipo pack is alot more expensive than a 2s.

KM is a knock-off of the HPI baja. The KM baja is nearly the same thing as the HPI baja buggy. It can be had for around $500 (there are a few trim levels)
I have had one. It was pretty good. Mine was an older one, with a 23cc motor. I think the new ones have 30cc now.
The alloy is not as high quality as the HPI. The tires also wear out quicker. But I never had motor issues, nor any drivetrain issues. The electronics held up fine as well.
But I once ran mine along side a rampage MT. It blew my KM away. With 1/5 scale, having 4wd makes them drive sooo much better. Having just rear drive and just rear breaking in a 30 pound RC doesnt make for good handling.
If I could do it again, I would buy a rampage XT (about the same cost as a new KM)
But its all personal preference. I think the KM and the XT/XB are of the same quality and durability. How they drive tho is very different.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:14 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only thing i can add.... replacement parts and complete motors are IMO very cheap.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:50 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Only thing i can add.... replacement parts and complete motors are IMO very cheap.
unfortunately tires are not. almost pooped my pants when I saw the cost of the rear tires for a baja 5B (not counting rim) when I was at mh LHS when I 1st started the hobby. Hell even now I still think that was high.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:37 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

unfortunately tires are not. almost pooped my pants when I saw the cost of the rear tires for a baja 5B (not counting rim) when I was at mh LHS when I 1st started the hobby. Hell even now I still think that was high.
yeh, its easy to drop $100 on a full set of new tires.
one upgrade to plan on...tuned pipe.
My KM baja I bought a $55 tuned pipe. It was like night and day. sound was awsome and bottom end power was WAY better.
Most RTR 1/5s come with restictive mufflers.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Microz

Cool thanks guys! I'll look into my options then and decide on one. Shouldn't be hard to tune a gasser engine correct?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:44 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ya not wrong, even 2nd hand they still are very expensive.... I was looking to some onroad tyres for my 5ive.... Bugger that....too expensive
Old 04-04-2013, 04:59 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Cool thanks guys! I'll look into my options then and decide on one. Shouldn't be hard to tune a gasser engine correct?
much easier than tuning a nitro.
Basically, you tune it once after running it the 1st time and you shouldnt have to tune it again (unless you change the engine, muffler ect)
Same as a weedwacker. Tune it in the spring...run it all summer that way.
Only issue you can get is that its possible to flood a 1/5 motor. Ive done it by not paying attention to what I was doing (started with the choke on, when the motor was already warm enough to start without it)
If you flood it, you have to open the throttle and pull it over many times.
Other than the occasional flooded engine, my KM baja never gave me any issues.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Microz

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

Basically, you tune it once after running it the 1st time and you shouldnt have to tune it again (unless you change the engine, muffler ect)
Only issue you can get is that its possible to flood a 1/5 motor. Ive done it by not paying attention to what I was doing (started with the choke on, when the motor was already warm enough to start without it)
Oh okay sweet thanks! Thanks for the info on the choke too. By the way, which position is choke on? I have a weedwacker, and I guess I'm doing it wrong because I manage to flood it a lot! Is choke on when you pull the starter a couple of times and it doesn't start, and then you move the choke to the off position and it starts right up when you pull the starter?

Old 04-04-2013, 03:55 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

Oh okay sweet thanks! Thanks for the info on the choke too. By the way, which position is choke on? I have a weedwacker, and I guess I'm doing it wrong because I manage to flood it a lot! Is choke on when you pull the starter a couple of times and it doesn't start, and then you move the choke to the off position and it starts right up when you pull the starter?

well on a new gasser, it will have a decal or something showing which way is choke on, which is choke off.
but when you try to start the motor it will sound different whether the choke is on/off. Its usually a deeper sound with the choke on.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:00 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing to look for when buying a used 1/5 scale is a fire sale. Owners of the larger scales are seldom in a hurry to part with their toys (fewer in desperate need of cash) and want a pretty penny or two for the privilege of owning their used stuff.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Microz

nitrosportsandrunner - Ah okay thank you should be easy then.

i8tweety - May I ask what is a "fire sale"?
Old 04-05-2013, 02:28 AM
Microz

Okay well I was searching for my previous thread on 1/5 scale gassers way back two or three months ago, and couldn't find it. It had some good information in it, but I can't seem to find it....it had to do something with 1/5 scale gassers. Can someone tell me if I'm searching for it incorrectly? I go up to the search bar in the main page of the forums where it says "Search All Forums" and I type in the keywords "Microz 1/5 scale" and this thread is the only one that seems to be coming up...anyone know what I might be doing wrong? Lesson learned though...bookmark the page...
Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 AM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

nitrosportsandrunner - Ah okay thank you should be easy then.

i8tweety - May I ask what is a ''fire sale''?

A fire sale is the sale of goods at extremely discounted prices, typically when the seller faces financial issues and needs cash in hand immediately or other impending distress.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:20 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay well I was searching for my previous thread on 1/5 scale gassers way back two or three months ago, and couldn't find it. It had some good information in it, but I can't seem to find it....it had to do something with 1/5 scale gassers. Can someone tell me if I'm searching for it incorrectly? I go up to the search bar in the main page of the forums where it says ''Search All Forums'' and I type in the keywords ''Microz 1/5 scale'' and this thread is the only one that seems to be coming up...anyone know what I might be doing wrong? Lesson learned though...bookmark the page...
what you are doing wrong is using RCU's search

Seriously I've typed in the exact title of a thread I had opened in another window and got replies that had nothing to deal with the one I looked for, and didn't have the one I was searching for in.

Best way to find anything on RCU go to google.com and for the search query type in what you are searching for follwed by "site:RCuniverse.com" (- the quotes)
like for example to use what you are looking for type "Microz 1/5 scale site:rcuniverse.com" (again - quotes) and hit enter

Honestly I did the search I quoted, and got this page as the top result, and can't find anything really of relevance as 1/5th scale seems pretty common search. It would help if you remembered anything in particular to add on to narrow it down (like even one or two people that commented in it)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11.../printable.htm is this what you are looking for? its about 2 months old its when you asked about the 1/6th scale shredder

also instead of bookmarking a thread you can just subscribe to it and access that under the my forums link -> thread subscriptions tab
Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 AM
pcarluvr

I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring again cause when I was searching for my 1/5 scale, I got confused on what to buy new or used and also who to buy... You should at least check out a Nutech. I've had mine for 10 months and have not broken a plastic part. I have monster tires that are as big or bigger than the Rampage MT and still running plastic spur gears! Plus it comes with a 27cc CY 4 bolt engine!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Microz

i8tweety - Oh okay thanks!
SyCo_VeNoM - Wow I didn't know the RCU search function wasn't that great....it works fine on other forums. Thanks for letting me know on the subscribe to a thread thing....I couldn't find it at first on here. And yes thats the exact thread I'm looking for! Thanks!
pcarluvr - Hmmm....never heard of them before. I'll look into them. I'll most probably end up with a Rampage XB though, but I'll look at other options just in case.