Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with this motor/esc? Why is it so cheap?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What's wrong with this motor/esc? Why is it so cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 02:37 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Neewer 17.5T motor comes for me to test:

The reason for the 17.5T even showing up at my doorsteps is: I need a motor for the B4 buggy that I can run WOT on my track.
I thought I would never buy a "stock" motor ever again. After trashing the bearing in the other motor, I soldered some wires on the Neewer sensored motor, and took it to the track. With 81/19 (spur/pinion) in the B4, running around the track was barely enjoyable. Motor wasn't even warm. Jumped up to a 22T pinion...getting better speed, and motor wasn't breaking a sweat.

I put a 25T pinion on and was getting up to the speeds that my tires/buggy seemed to like best for track conditions. The temp. of the Neewer 17.5 motor, after 45 minutes of continuous WOT, was 121°F. This gives me room to play when gearing up a bit more.

Last edited by RustyUs; 09-18-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:28 PM
RustyUs

... until my cheap Neewer 17.5T motor comes for me to test:
I have been using this motor without the sensor cable. The only time I see a lag of power is when starting from a complete stop. The first four inches of "get up and go" is the only problem I can see when not using the cable. This is not a concern for me, as I think of this split second lack of power as a bonus traction aid on my loose track. And most of the time I never come to a complete stop, unless I'm shooing a gnat/bug away from my face.

I'm having too much fun running this motor in my B4 buggy to even attempt to mount my sensored brushless ESC and use the sensor cable. The Neewer 17.5T 1900Kv motor and 75T/28T gears provides the speeds that I'm used to (24mph) and perfectly match my bumpy; dry track. The $16.97 Neewer motor has brought me closer to my light, nimble, hard to drive buggy. With 144°F temps coming off the motor, I still have room to gear up, but 24mph was my target speed.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:42 PM
RustyUs

Default HobbyFans Brushless Motors Bearings

You will defiantly need to stock up on, or at least replace, the bearings on the exposed side of the motors. After running both of my HobbyFans motors (4370Kv & 3930Kv) in harsh dusty conditions; for the past 6 months, the outer bearings both failed. First it was the motor I was using in my buggy, and now after getting that motor repaired, I was ready to mount it in my ST....then I come to notice my other HobbyFans motor already in my ST was starting the same bearing failure.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:07 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I decided to jump on the cheap Chinese motor bandwagon. This'll be going into an 1/8 buggy that has been stripped down to just the transmission and motor mount on the chassis; hopefully its light enough. From what I can tell though, its the same motor as the Leopard 2150KV and the Tower Hobbies / RC Gear Shop 2150KV motor, just with no name on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201363362451...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 11-27-2015, 04:35 PM
RustyUs

After some cutting and trimming...10 gauge wire, and some 6.5mm female bullets finally made its way on to the 120A Tyrannosaurus Rex ESC. The is in preparation for a package dropped off by the best team out there...USPS. Inside the little package lays a Neu-Castle 2650kv 1/8 power plant.

The 2650kv is not quite the kv rating that I wanted, but if the ESC will handle 4S, like it claims, I should be a happy camper. Before I try though, I think I will solder on some 13 gauge (that's all I got ) wires for the batter leads. I don't know if it will help, but I'll feel better. The wire that's on the blue re-branded/copied ESCs seems too "wimpy" to handle the added juice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8241.JPG
Views:	2797
Size:	610.5 KB
ID:	2132804  

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-28-2015 at 06:34 AM. Reason: wording
Old 11-27-2015, 10:53 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

That ESC is not gonna handle it! Seriously though, have a fire extinguisher handy just in case.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:35 AM
RustyUs

Thanks for the words of approval . Now I'm definitely gonna have a go at it.

I figure, the ESC hasn't sweated yet while doing it's job of controlling the juice to the "not so appropriate" 4500kv & 4300kv 550 sized motors in a heavyweight Yeti while using 3S packs. I have a few spares of the little blue ESCs. My expectations have been exceeded all summer long with the 120A ESC performance (it's the 4300kv motor above that I question on 3S). My low budget adventures tell me to push the $15ish Tyrannosaurus Rex ESC to the next step.

With a highly capable and powerful 1/8 scale Castle Creations motor squeezed into the 1/10 Yeti (CC's 68mm long motor is the maximum length before Demel tool is needed to modify battery tray of the Yeti), I have to see if the ESC is going to be the weak link.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:58 PM
RustyUs

Default Blue TSKY T. Rex 120A ESC blues...

Originally Posted by collector1231
That ESC is not gonna handle it! Seriously though, have a fire extinguisher handy just in case.
One down; two to go.

Go figure. The one 120A Tyrannosaurus Rex ESC that I beat on the most, in my Yeti, takes the punishment like a champ. Today, the newest "Blue 120A" (TSKY/T. Rex) ESC that's mounted on my 1/8 buggy finally gave up. Only running 3S packs on the stinkin' thing...literally smells like fireworks! I put the buggy on the ground and off we went for about fifty feet. I went to go check it out; the closer I got, the stronger the burnt smell was. I thought for sure the LiPo was gonna start smokin'.

I took off the body and went in to investigate. I had steering, but no throttle, and the servo was only moving in slow motion. No LED lights come on when trying to re-calibrate ESC, just the fan runs and very low voltage going to the receiver & servo.

I knew the price of these ESCs was too good to be true. Quality control is the first thing that comes to mind.

Just wanted to update anyone who might read this.

I got two more T. Rex ESC spares to try yet. If those don't hold up to 3S abuse, then SkyRC ...you're my brand to try.

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	2947
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	2166470  

Last edited by RustyUs; 06-06-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:12 PM
RustyUs

Check out the little saying on the fan

Enjoy myself...lol!

Name:	1460930867571-1679103263.jpg
Views:	2801
Size:	549.5 KB
ID:	2157808  
Old 04-18-2016, 12:59 PM
RustyUs

That ESC that I took out of my 8.2e...the "B" motor wire was scorched on the internal board. This time I'm not swapping out the ABC motor wires on the T. Rex ESC when I put them big kahuna 6.5mm connectors on. It'll look kinda funny with the 14 gauge wire, but the funny thing is, that's what I did with the ESC in my Yeti. Yeah, some may say I'm pushing the limit with 3S packs and a 4268 2650kv motor; with 14 awg wire. That's why I got these cheap ESCs for...to see what they can take.

Just saying.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:50 PM
RustyUs

Well, add a few degrees of ambient temperature, and things sure do change a bit. Them ebay blue TSKY ESCs, that I talked about in other posts, are acting up now that the outside temps are in the 80s. The past two nights of running eBuggy, I could only make it through half a pack before the overheat protection kicked in...flashing blue LED.

Tonight I turned off the OHP to see how much the Tyrannosaurus Rex could take . She was sweating! I was able to run a full pack in my RC8.2e until the low voltage kicked in. I didn't bring the IR thermometer to the track, but I did touch the heat-sink. Ouch! Before I was able to do so, I had to stop the buggy from moving. I had no neutral throttle anymore. The ESC acted like the throttle trim was adjusted to maximum forward trim. I ended the night with that experience since the sun was going down fast. Will have to continue the torture of this "bottom of the barrel" ESC.

If the 120A el cheapo ESC survives another battery pack without acting up, I'll continue to use it on 3S. If not, then it'll find it's way into a 1/10 2S platform. I can't recommend this ESC any longer for 3S RC use, even though the same ESC is used in my Yeti (with same 1/8 motor/3S packs used on RC8.2e), and it is performing flawlessly.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:15 AM
The Saylors

Check out the little saying on the fan

Enjoy myself...lol!
HAHAHA gotta love the engrish.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:28 AM
RustyUs

One down; two to go.

Go figure. The one 120A Tyrannosaurus Rex ESC that I beat on the most, in my Yeti, takes the punishment like a champ. Today, the newest "Blue 120A" (TSKY/T. Rex) ESC that's mounted on my 1/8 buggy finally gave up. Only running 3S packs on the stinkin' thing...literally smells like fireworks! I put the buggy on the ground and off we went for about fifty feet. I went to go check it out; the closer I got, the stronger the burnt smell was. I thought for sure the LiPo was gonna start smokin'.

I took off the body and went in to investigate. I had steering, but no throttle, and the servo was only moving in slow motion. No LED lights come on when trying to re-calibrate ESC, just the fan runs and very low voltage going to the receiver & servo.

I knew the price of these ESCs was too good to be true. Quality control is the first thing that comes to mind.

Just wanted to update anyone who might read this.

I got two more T. Rex ESC spares to try yet. If those don't hold up to 3S abuse, then SkyRC ...you're my brand to try.
Two down; one to go!

Buggy and T. Rex didn't like one another.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:34 AM
Liffish

maybe you can have a try
Old 07-07-2016, 03:34 PM
RustyUs

One down; two to go.

Hooked up an external BEC up to the one "blue" 120A ESC that fried (internal BEC toasted), and we're back in 3S business again. Even running 1/8 scale buggy in 90°F outside temps didn't trip the over heat protection circuits any longer.

I must note that after using the CC BEC for only two battery packs, I can see my servo working much faster now. I sure the torque has increased as well. Amazing what these low budget 120A ESCs hold you back from .
Old 07-17-2016, 01:42 PM
RustyUs

Yes, please keep us updated here with your experience on your new BL motor/ESC combo.

And I keep ya updated with some other motors.
The HobbyFans 3930kv motor got a torture test today. 91°+ outside temps.; in the sun, and running a 5200mah 2S pack. The extra run time with the 5200mah was all I had charged up, so I used it. I normally use 4000mah packs and the 5200 is a soft cased pack that I use in my B4, 'cause it fits so well in the tray.

The Evader ST (with HobbyFans motor) an me had a little fun in the sun, and I knew she was gonna be hot. Temp gun reading, after a good 25 minute run...170°F . Hooweee! Now that's hot to the touch!

Survivor it is. After getting through the initial bearing replacement awhile back, the motor runs well enough for me. I even tone it down a bit when running the ST. 85% throttle is the norm on the loose track. I don't see the name "HobbyFans" too much any more on eBay. Nor do I see the same "blue" type motors. There are still "finned" HobbyFans motors out there that try to copy HobbyWing's EZRun motors, and HSP looks to be the same HobbyFans motor, just the color is a little "off".

All in all, I had a great time with these motors. The royal blue colored motor (5200kv) has been sitting in my electronic parts box for almost two years now. I'll probably keep it now that I got a "on-road" parking lot basher thing I'm working on (very slowly ).
Old 08-29-2016, 06:16 PM
RustyUs

Default HobbyFans Brushless Motor & ESC

After using the HobbyFans motors and ESCs for over a year and a half, I've come to like them a lot. No fancy details, no outrageous specs, just low budget gear providing usable controlled power. You can still find HobbyFans items on eBay, but not like years ago. The 3930kv 3650 motors are the only ones I see anymore.

My latest little mishap involving one of the HobbyFans motors, has shown me how durable the motors are. Well, they are only made durable after replacing the original set of bearings. Every HobbyFans motor I own(ed) is on their 2nd set of bearings. That seems to be the weak point.

Today I tested the motor from the mishap, and it breaths once more. I don't see any signs of power loss yet.