Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New to electric and 1/18 scale

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 06:39 AM
Bigcity81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to electric and 1/18 scale

Picked up a strategy vendetta at with a brushless motor and a tekin rampage esc with no rx/tx for $25 buck at my local hobby shop what are some good upgrades for the rig and I also picked up a losi mini t from there two a few days later for $20 with everything included I'd like to upgrade that one too and also add a brushless motor to it what do I need to do and where do I start I'm New to electric I've had nitro in the past but that was years ago thanks in advance
Old 03-26-2016, 10:32 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd check out the castle creations Mamba brushless systems.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:52 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I never heard of strategy rc cars i know duratrax made vendettas and losi has those mini trucks discontinued with parts availability questionable i'll suggest first is it even worth the effort to upgrade maybe do a little research/homework finding parts if you have found a parts supplier (rcplanet eBay) and have that going for you then Id maybe think about upgrading the rcs in OP a main is another good place for parts at the moment Hobbywing and like sheograth mentioned Castle Creations has some mini esc brushless combos I had good luck with their products and will always look at the brand for possibilities and note when upgrading you will more than likely need to change out connectors or even solder connectors of your choice ive been looking at some Toro motors for my larger scale buggy nitroRCX has selection of Toro 1/18 combos period

Last edited by RustyUs; 03-27-2016 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:09 AM
Bigcity81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parts for both seem to be plentiful I've been thinking of adding a few bits of aluminum here and there to each car like A-arms and shock towers etc
Old 03-28-2016, 01:57 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigcity81
Parts for both seem to be plentiful I've been thinking of adding a few bits of aluminum here and there to each car like A-arms and shock towers etc
aluminum a-arms are one of the worst things you can do to an RC.
When I was new I thought yea that was a good idea put some on one... I broke the hinge that mounts the arm to the RC 3 times in 3 runs... Issue is aluminum doesn't absorb, and deflect any energy, and just transfers it all to the next weakest part which will take way more force then it was designed for. And if you make everything aluminum it will just bend, and be good for trash. Also a-arms are one of the cheaper, and easier parts to replace so its best if they break.

Shock towers, c-hubs, knuckles, motor mounts(I've had some plastic in the past) are basically all I would do in aluminum. And even then shocktowers are a mostly if its CNC'd T6 aluminum as pot (cast) aluminum shocktowers from my experience have the habit of just bending (I've had 3 sets of cast towers 2 bent on 1st run from just the force of hitting the divots in the cement)