Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

spectrum pros and cons.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 07:35 PM
Nomadio_Sales

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: spectrum pros and cons.

Figured, I'd throw my two cents in....

I'm not a pro or anything close to it...but I've been in the hobby since the mid eighties. I just ordered my Spectrum DX 3.0 w/2 transceivers and ordered 2 additional transceivers (I have 4 cars that I will use with this radio). Now you are probably asking why not buy the Nomadio since cash wasn't an issue? For me it just doesn't make sense...I run electric and I'll probably never need the telemetry. If the telemetry technology could provide mph then I'd buy it just for giggles and to show non-believers that my "toy" electric car can hit speeds over 50mph. I guess the temperature sensor could come in handy for the batteries and brushless motors...but overheating hasn't been a problem for me yet....

Also I probably won't ever have more than four cars that I am seriously running at any given time. I like to keep it simple...I keep a large stock of spare parts for my cars because I am a basher...literally. Keeping my inventory down to two or three model types simplifies things considerably. I personally don't know why the RC radio market doesn't get into the habit of adding an SD memory card slot to newer radios...then we could store 4.0 gig worth of driver data....you telemetry nuts out there just think about that!!!! That would make it possible to record statistics from every run from every model separately! Then the guys that spend hours constructing the perfect batteries or tuning their motors/engines perfectly could really work wonders with the mounds and mounds of quantitative data. Me..and I am a stat guy...don't want to spend hours doing that...that is work...and this is my hobby. So I just buy the best batteries and motors and replace them when they no longer perform...and by the way...usually I use these forums to determine what is the "best." I am upgrading from a JR XR3i to the DX3.0 mainly to stop glitching caused by something in my neighbor's house...so in my case...the DX3.0 is the "best."
Well the telem does show the Speed of your car also RPM. Not to mention receiver battery voltage so you know when your RX pack is dead or you can set up to know when your electric drive pack is about to dump. Now you say you have dead spots on your crystal radio you have now guess what with Nomadio you can SEE the RF link so you know for sure if it is a radio or its your car. YOU CANT do that with ANY other radio PEZRIOD!

The React expansion box is set up for our SD card reader. Temp on a ESC or a Liop pack think about that temp is not just for nitro.

Also noting now that 2.4Ghz is getting a ton of new uses your new radio will work slower and slower and slower as more traffic lands on your parked system (you are on one ch just like you are with your crystal based radio) only spek still uses DSSS the market has moved to the better faster FHDSS.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:36 PM
ssspconcepts

Glad to see somebody actually took the time to add all that up....thanks.

Spectrum W/2 transceivers and telemetry combo $368
Hitec SRX w/2 tranceivers and telemetry $460
Nomadio React w/2 tranceivers and telemetry sensors $554
Old 12-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Nomadio_Sales

Nomadio react with the same set up as the spek $350 If you add in all the trele for the speck units then you would see a much higher price not to mention the birds nest of wires the spek needs to run telem when its plug and play with Nomadio
Old 12-31-2006, 07:50 PM
Nomadio_Sales

$249.99 DX3.0
$139.99 Telem
$139.99 Second telem
______
$529.97

$270 React
$ 99 Second receiver with telem
$ 60 for plug and play telem for first receiver
______
$429 all up $100 LESS and you have MORE Mixing More Memory FASTER reacting 100Hz rather then 50Hz with spek
PLUS you can use it as a Game controller via the included USB cable AND you get software updates for free not having to send your stuff in to Horizon for a week to update
what you can do in minutes for free in your own home. Data backup free with Nomadio and the radio weighs less.
There is NOTHING the DX3.0 can do the Nomadio React can't do better faster but there is plenty the DX3 cant do that the Nomadio includes.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:38 AM
ssspconcepts

Does anybody have a picture of the Spektrum DX3.0 with the Telemetry unit mounted on the controller? How well is this working?
Old 01-01-2007, 02:04 AM
ssspconcepts

Okay Nomadio Sales, your last couple of posts have been very helpful...unfortunately what's done is done. I already ordered the DX3.0...got a heck of a deal on ebay. But if after I get it, and if I am not 100% satisfied, I'll be getting the Nomadio React. Thanks for the bit of info about the telemetry unit being able to calc speed in mph...I wonder how this is possible without GPS? Do you have to input gear ratio/tire diameter info? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question...

Thanks again. Too bad more companies in more industries don't take note of how to market and communicate with potential customers.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:45 AM
Nomadio_Sales

NOT a dumb question at all you do a roll out with your car and input the data the radio does the calculations.

Got to love eBay saw a React for $250 the other day that would have blown out the numbers for the 3.0. I used an internet discounter for the prices I posted as well. Bet you never see a Horizon rep on a holiday responding to questions on a forum. Heck they do not even sponsor a single driver with spek equipment.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:34 PM
ssspconcepts

Well, Like I said. I may be reselling mine. If I lose a few bucks in the process its a lesson learned The verdict is still not out yet. I wish I would have known more about the React before my purchase. One thing is for certain...I know that I am tired of my car glitching and swerving out of control everytime I drive by my neighbor's house. I have a decent sized lot on a quiet cul-de-sac and unfortunately I have to drive right by his hacienda to test my top speed capability. A few days ago I slammed a mailbox at about 50mph and my XXXT/MF2 is now on the bench for a major rebuild. That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Knee jerk reactions...gotta love it.

BTW, I work for the Dept or Energy and we recently saw a vendor present a converted E-Maxx chassis for counter IED operations...I asked what radio system they used but they were reluctant to answer. It looked an awful lot like the BomBot on your Nomadio site...but there were subtle differences. The name of the vendor slips my mind right now...its not significant, other than the fact that at the time we were not "wowed" by their employment of commercial of the shelf technology and their technical knowledge of their products.

Take care and thanks.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Nomadio_Sales

If it was an IED Bomb_Bot type of unit it most likely was a Nomadio we are the #1 radio in service right now for Mil Spec IED removal service. This Iam most proud of saving life one IED at a time!

The same RF sections used in the GC radios are what we use in the Hobby Line.

BTW for IED removal the gold standard of bots are modified E-Maxxs got to love this sport!
Old 01-03-2007, 03:56 AM
ssspconcepts

Definitely! I can't believe how far the technology has come since my first RC in 85...back then I was running a Tamiya Fox with a Futaba Attack 2ch radio.
ORIGINAL: Nomadio_Sales

If it was an IED Bomb_Bot type of unit it most likely was a Nomadio we are the #1 radio in service right now for Mil Spec IED removal service. This Iam most proud of saving life one IED at a time!

The same RF sections used in the GC radios are what we use in the Hobby Line.

BTW for IED removal the gold standard of bots are modified E-Maxxs got to love this sport!
Old 01-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Cicada-

i dont think the DX3 is worth it -- which is why i went with the DX2 to replace the AM radio that came with my kit -- i dont really have a use for hte 3rd channel and that's the only difference that i've seen between the two [well that, and another whopping 1 model memory]

soon, i hope to be able to pick up an airtronics M11 and put the spektrum pro module in it.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Nomadio_Sales

Cicada- why not get a M11 with 100Hz 2.4Ghz when they come out? Why slow your radio down with a spek 50Hz unit?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:51 AM
nitroracer82

I'm disappointed now... Just got my DX3.0 today, the same time as I found this forum. Really wishing I woulda considered the React more now. I think the only thing I really didn't like about it was it's looks... I know it doesn't matter when you race but I am shallow. It doesnt really look that comfortable. But hard to tell cause I never held one. I can tell already the DX3.0 is gonna be a little bit of a problem because I have small hands and the DX3.0 feels too large. The DX3.0 Looks more like a toy too. It was an impulse buy for the price and a quick way to get into DSM after my FM broke, leaving me using the Traxxas AM radio...
Old 01-04-2007, 01:03 AM
Nomadio_Sales

nitroracer82 return the DX buy a React if the react is not all I say it is I will buy it from you!
Old 01-04-2007, 01:09 AM
nitroracer82

NomadioSales, from one salesman to another you have me sold. I'm sure I'll love it after hearing all the positive things on here and with a salesrep that takes his product seriously I feel it's a win win situation. I already contacted the seller that I bought it from and am gonna order the react tomorrow. Many thanks. One last thing, I'm big on weight reduction... does having the transciever with all the sensors add much weight? Does it draw more power to make a noticable difference. I'll be putting it in my both my revo and savage.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Nomadio_Sales

the receivers and telem do not draw much power that is the servos job Weight LOL you will be happy there is not much to the senders.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:16 AM
herb99

I'm thinking about getting a DX 3.0. But there is all talk about the Spektrum system being slow, is it going to be slower than the RTR AM radio that comes with the Hyper 7?
Thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 05:53 PM
rcxboy

No, it won't be slower. It is slower than other 2.4ghz based systems.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Nomadio_Sales

Well it is slower then some 27Mhz RTR radios by 10Hz, 27MHz radios are mostly 60Hz the spek is 50Hz
Old 01-12-2007, 03:01 AM
msouth12

Personally I think that way too much is being made about the speed of the radio. With good high quality servos in the car using a Sektrum, I seriously doubt anyone could notice the difference in speed. I have yet to see a race lost between equal drivers and cars because the radio was to slow. Granted the Spektrum does not have the features of the Nomadio and others, but for the price it's still a fine way to go. If you really feel the need for telemetry then I would say by all means buy the Nomadio, it is clearly superior in that function. They are both good units, and both have their good points. But please don't say the Spektrum is unusable in race conditions....just not true. And that is my 2 cents worth
Old 01-12-2007, 05:10 AM
Nomadio_Sales

Well not so fast there, go over to the www.sgrid.com and read people taking the spek out of there Futaba radios and putting in the Fasst system and noticing the speed right off the bat and the Fasst system is only 25Hz faster then spek. With being able to swap out an RF decks and a receiver using the same radio you CAN SEE the speed not only feel it.

No one has said the spek is unusable in race conditions, but 100HZ is twice as fast as 50Hz

Look at Top A main drivers for Horizon owner of spektrum sponsored race team NOT a one drives Spek.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:54 AM
msouth12

And not a one is paying for their own radio gear. I am talking about your everyday joe racer at the local track. I guess there will always be a better mouse trap whether it catches more mice or not. IMHO 90% of marketing is about peoples preception of the product, not the actual function. The racing community from full size cars down to rc cars have always been easy targets of speed marketing. Tell them that they will gain a 1/10 with the hottest new widget and watch them line up to buy it, when really they have many other issues of much more importance and value to increase speed.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Nomadio_Sales

ROFLOL they WORK for the OWNER of Spektrum they can drive what ever radios they want!

Here is an example of what people are saying this was posted today on sgrid

http://www.sgrid.com/cgi-bin/backtalk-1.4.6/pw/backtalk/pistachio/read?conf=offroad9&csel=@1&item=66&isel=114,187,1-65,67-113,115-186,188-$&rsel=new&tmprsel=198-$

, "Mark Unseen
#203 of 207 by Ross Grant (rg24) on Fri Jan 12 11:48:26 2007:

I really like my Sensor compared to my M8 with Spektrum. It is so much
faster when I first got it I was turning into pipes at Deano's. I
broke my antenna off last weekend in Nashville, so I had to use a
borrowed Spektrum radio for the main. It sucked bigtime. On the small
indoor track I could really notice how much less responsive and lazy
it was compared to my Nomadio, especially when using the brakes. With
the Sensor you just feel more connected with your car.

I'm going to get a React next to see how I like it. I checked out
Aaron Biggers, and it is so light. It would be great for long mains.

Aaron, good run last Saturday night. You had the 8ight dialed. "
Old 01-15-2007, 02:57 PM
rdgo3

I have a ? If you were to want a react..Were can you get one? I see some on ebay new..but there talking about 1/15 ship date..anyone know a reputable place? thnxs
Old 01-16-2007, 01:19 AM
msouth12

Blah Blah Blah This thread has nothing to do with it's title, rather it is a sales pitch by a manufacturer who has broken the golden rule. Never badmouth your competition, let the your product speak for itself. Karlton you should let the people talk your product up instead of you doing all the talking. I was actually looking at the Nomadio myself, until I came upon this thread. Complete turnoff! I have always thought that RCU was a form for the end users to freely discuss all aspects of the hobby without such influence from manufactures. Maybe I was mistaken, if so I appologize.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.