Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Need opinions for new combat plane

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Need opinions for new combat plane

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 09:12 AM
dave_anderson
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinions for new combat plane

I have been through a few combat designs but I have tended to go for cool vs. combat abilty. Therefore the guys at out field have had a hayday with me. Well enough is enough. I need a new weapon and wanted to get some opinions. Right now I am using a Grim's Sickle with a mousse canned Magnum 25 on it. It wont out-turn anything! I have the resources to build these... Please give me your pick.

SPAD Flat Bat (got a bat lying around)
Any SPAD 25 size plane
Battle Floyd

I have a mini flight pack (270 battery, HS-81 MG's, Magnum 25 w/ mousse can, spinning MA 9X5 at 15,500 rpm)

If you have had good luck with any particular design, please let me know. We aren't real formal at my field, it's a free for all with 25's to 40's all competing together for fun. I look forward to your responses
Old 02-19-2003, 01:58 PM
midair

I have just three letters for you: PBF
Old 02-19-2003, 03:16 PM
sheepy

You might want to check out the HOR by the SPAD folks. They use .15's on it, but I fly them with .25's and even a .46. They are a snap to build too. Instead of the coro wing, I use a 64" foam wing, but the coro wing should be fine. just that the 64" has more cutting area. Also the foam wing will be stronger.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Post Hole

I recommend the SPAD Debut. I know, they call it an Introductory combat plane, but I flew one for several events and won or placed in all but one. I am now flying HOR's, because the fuse is sturdier, but with a Debut wing they fly identically. It does not have the top end of a Bandit or Avenger (aerodynamics), but it turns with anything out there.

Good flying to you.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:10 PM
thojo

The SPAD HOR is the easiest quickest building plane you can get
Old 02-19-2003, 09:42 PM
S3HD
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry my pick for you is not on your list, but I would suggest the SPAD H.O.R. - Hell On Rails. If you can swing getting the foam wings you will be really happy! You can get some pretty cheaply from Mike Fredricks of Hat Trick Enterprises: www.hattrickrc.com

The H.O.R. is really strong and easy to build - it flys better than anything on your list.

Anything you can do to reduce the wing loading just makes the H.O.R. even better.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:04 PM
Grun-Herz-JG54

mc130p_fe,

I wouldn't give up on the Grim Sickle, stretch the wing span to 48" or 60". I have had good luck with them, even flying them at 72" and 84" wingspans in open C.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:11 AM
1Jimbo
My Feedback: (2)

You want something that will fly circles around ANYTHING? Let me know.
[email protected]
Old 02-20-2003, 06:17 PM
Montague

Yeah, Jimbo's design flys circles around everyone, because everyone is busy turning inside him to make a cut.

Just kidding Jimbo, it was just too easy of an opening.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:48 PM
Kevins_RC

I was initally exposed to Combat when I was on business in Cinncy. There was a guy there that was flying the SPAD, Flat Bat Combat with a 25 on it. I was so impressed with it, that I checked it out on www.spadtothebone.com. I've built a few for my son and I to play with. I've since built 18 ARFs for the Flat Bat Combat because I was so impressed on how they fly, and I am selling them locally to stimulate interest in COMBAT. Needless to say, I would strongly recommend the Flat Bat Combat.
Kevin
Old 02-20-2003, 11:14 PM
dave_anderson

Do you build the flatbat to the plans on the SPAD site or make modifications? How quick is it compared to the SPAD HOR (I'm leaning that way, but I do have a flat bat here). What engine do you use?
Old 02-21-2003, 12:53 AM
Tattoo

The Flat Bat was designed for B class competition and .25 sized engines....and the HOR was designed for SSC class combat and .15 sized engines. There is absolutely nothing stopping you from using the Flat Bat wing and tail (larger) and strapping them to a HOR fuselage for an awesome airplane!!! The Bats are awesome, and your equipment is safer inside the fuselage and away from exhaust goo...but man...the HOR's sure are easy to build
Old 02-21-2003, 12:58 AM
Kevins_RC

Sorry - but I have no comparison to the SPAD HOR. As far as modifications, I install a pc. of tri-stk in the center of the V-Tail and sand it to match the contour of the bat handle. I just find it easier to install. I also enlarge the control surfaces slightly (only because I'm a Fun Fly kind of person). I run a Webra 32 on mine. It comes in at just under 3-1/2 lbs with 2-std & 1 mini servo.
Hope that this helps!
Kevin
Old 02-21-2003, 05:45 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

I'll tell you for sure what NOT to get: Battle Floyd. Back in the days of balsa in Open combat, these made it rain balsa. Then came the SPADs, and it began to snow pink foam. With the invention of water-based polyurethane came the era of carbon-reinforced-foam-covered-with-ripstop-nylon, and coroplast meteor showers.

Bang for the buck, SPADs are tough to beat, though. They hold up in midairs against their own kind and lesser planes, and are cheap and easy to build. It takes several hours of painstaking labor to coat a foam wing with ripstop nylon, and even these don't last forever.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:54 PM
Montague

I haven't built a B class version yet, but my A class design is basically a heavily modified Battle Floyd. They fly great, and with a few changes are actually very durable for their size. I do think a Floyd in B class is dead meat if built stock. (have a picture around here somewhere to prove it)

I'd say the spads are good options. There seem be a few guys flying HORs in B class with success.

The key is weight and wing area. Whatever you build, the lighter the wing loading, the better your turns and overall performace will be. So keep it light and put on the biggest wing you can manage.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:03 PM
Montague

The debris field in the middle of the picture is a stock Battle Floyd coming apart after my Skull Bandit (leaving on the right) flew through it. My Bandit had a small dent on the wing LE. The Floyd is in worse shape than the picture might indicate.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:59 AM
dave_anderson

Thanks for all the advice. I built a H.O.R. I am having a hard time telling my wife what the name of the design is. "Honey I built a ...." well, you get the idea. Hehe. I'll test it tomorrow.

Thanks fellas!

Dave
Old 02-24-2003, 08:19 PM
thojo

Thanks for all the advice. I built a H.O.R. I am having a hard time telling my wife what the name of the design is. "Honey I built a ...." well, you get the idea. Hehe. I'll test it tomorrow.
My only advice is to NOT let your wife hold the plane while you photographic it to post on the forum, like someone did on rcca website.

What is wrong with this?

Subject: Here is a picture of my new HOR

>

Thats a good way to get slapped if you cant explain that one fast enough!
Old 03-27-2003, 08:15 PM
jmayle

Dave,

I have been using the flat bats for combat for about 8 months and they will hang with the best of them! I have one that I built from the SPAD website and I am sure that you would be super happy with the way it flies. It will turn with the best of them and it has the speed that it needs to chase the .40 size birds. I am using the same radio gear that you are using and the same engine. The only difference is that I use a 9x4 master airscrew for the prop. If you check the SPAD combat results for the month of March, you will see that a 15 year old came in third using a flat bat. If you would like pics, I would be happy to send you some.

Bob
Old 03-28-2003, 10:46 PM
Ten-Man

Default Flat Bat

Dave if you will look at the March KS combat results you will see that a 31 year old won the meet with a flatbat. If you go to the RCCA Page you will see that fella just set an RCCA record round of ten cuts with it. Do I believe in the Flatbat You bet!!!! IMHO it's the best thing around. The specs on mine are a 64" foam wing covered in nylon and a 21" bat with conventional tail surfaces no v-tail. The Paris TX meet will be on my mind for some time to come man what a great time.

Don "Tenman" Howard
Old 03-29-2003, 03:57 AM
jmayle

Hey Don,

Congrats! Mitch told me of your outstanding success in Paris. I wish I could have been there. I hope to see you at the Wichita April meet where you will not be as lucky, this time.

SwampBoy
Old 04-01-2003, 03:14 PM
Ten-Man

Swampboy hows your dad doing? Sure hope he is doing better sounds like he was pretty sick. I've been off work for 3 days myself got some bad stuff going around. I don't think I'll be in Ks next month. I'll see you in Junction City though. The following weekend is the next NTRR and I'll be going to it. See Ya in JunK city.
Old 06-08-2003, 07:19 PM
John Boren

Default New Combat Plane

If I had a choice I would fly a Fight Master 30 combat Plane. Of course I am the designer of the plane, so I might be a little bias. It is by far the fastest and quickest
turning airplane I have ever seen or flown. I used to Fly my Fight Master 60 in our clubs open combat events but my Fight Master 30 powered by a OS Max .28
engine is just awesome. I in fact won our AMA sanctioned event today because of it's great speed and turning ability. It flies well over a hundred miles per hours
while pulling a 30 foot long 2 inch wide crepe paper streamer and still turns on a dime.

John Boren
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	84791_38046.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	35375  
Old 06-09-2003, 02:28 AM
Hat Trick

I didn't see any Chicago events on the contest calander on the RCCA site. Did you post it? I would have come down if I would have known!
Old 06-09-2003, 02:40 AM
John Boren

Default Listed In the AMA Magazine

I don't believe any one in my club is currently a member of the RCCA, so I don't believe we could post the event even though we use their rules except engine size. Every year we have a one day open combat event with the only restriction being the maximum engine displacement of .75. We had one .60 powered plane, my .28 powered Fight Master 30 and the rest were powered from .40 .50 size engines. Believe it or not my .28 powered plane was by far the fastest plane out there. It was even faster then the second faster plane out there, my Quickee 500 pylon racer. We had about $250.00 worth of prizes. Years ago we used to give out $200.00 cash for first place plus prizes but not enough people have showing up in past years, so we had to cut back on the prizes.

John Boren

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.