Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Combat Spitfire!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Great Planes Combat Spitfire!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 11:17 PM
anthony79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Combat Spitfire!

I picked up a spitfire on sale at my LHS for cheap. REAL CHEAP!! Id like to go with an electric setup, Rimfire no longer makes the BL motor called for in the plans. The guys at my LHS suggested an eflite power 25. This is the same motor I use in 2 other planes I fly....much larger planes than the little spitfire, so this motor seems like over kill. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions for a BL setup?
Old 07-21-2010, 07:10 AM
cptcrusty1

NITRO
Old 07-21-2010, 11:38 AM
anthony79

ORIGINAL: cptcrusty1

NITRO
I've had nitro planes in the past, and enjoyed them but, ever since I got my first electric, Ive been focusing almost exclusively on that. No fuss, No mess, No tuning.....just plug in a pack and fly.
Thanks for the advice but Im committed to the electrics.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:32 AM
cptcrusty1

What it comes down to is preference. I"d love to go all electric and I do have a couple electric items, but:

1. I like the sound of Nitro.
2. I like the smell of NItro.
3. I like the lower cost of Nitro
4. I can't hear my wife yelling at me over a Nitro motor running at full throttle, thus I can assume she isn't saying anything usefull and I can tell her later that I wasn't able to shut off the motor because the throttle was stuck...
Old 07-22-2010, 07:37 AM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been flying mine with 4-stroke Nitro and am amazed how long I can fly WFO with the stock tank. What is it, 4 ounces?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:40 AM
cptcrusty1

I can only keep mine in the air for about 4-5 minutes at WOT with the 4oz and a 32SX w/Pipe. But at the speed it flies, I have to really concentrate on keeping my eyes on it and by the time it's ready to land, you're ready to be done...
Old 07-22-2010, 08:22 AM
mike early

I agree. I always fly all my planes WFO and as hard as I can. Nothing relaxing about it. I never fly longer than 7 minutes, tops.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:21 PM
anthony79

I was really looking for some USEFUL advice here about ELECTRIC options, not start an on going pointless debate about nitro vs elecrtic. Yes cptcrusty1 your right it IS a matter of preference, and I prefer electric. Not trying to offend anyone, Ive just lost interest in nitro over the years.
So can anybody answer/ offer advice for an electric BL motor option for this lil rascal. Im looking forward to punching some holes in the sky!
Old 07-22-2010, 01:29 PM
cptcrusty1

Ok. Ok... Usefull information.

I contacted a budy of mine that owns the LHS. One of his guys is a big time electric enthusiast... He says:

1. [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLWV1&P=0]GP Rimfire 25[/link] with a 50 amp esc
-OR- if you want to keep up with my Mustang.
2. [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLWV3&P=0]GP Rimfire 32[/link] with an 80 amp esc.

3 or 4 cell battery, 4 would be better, greater KV... That should make you punch some holes in the sky...
Old 07-23-2010, 11:14 PM
anthony79

ORIGINAL: cptcrusty1

Ok. Ok... Usefull information.

I contacted a budy of mine that owns the LHS. One of his guys is a big time electric enthusiast... He says:

1. [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLWV1&P=0]GP Rimfire 25[/link] with a 50 amp esc
-OR- if you want to keep up with my Mustang.
2. [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLWV3&P=0]GP Rimfire 32[/link] with an 80 amp esc.

3 or 4 cell battery, 4 would be better, greater KV... That should make you punch some holes in the sky...

Ok, Thanks man Ill look into both of those motors. Im gonna use a 3S 3300Mah pack (because its what I have on hand)

Thanks alot for the help I appreciate it!
Old 09-01-2010, 06:48 PM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

Mike, I have a GP Spitfire with an OS25FP, and love flying it! Would love to see some pics of your retracts if possible...
Mine is plenty fast for me at this point; I get about 12,800 with a 9x6 Master Airscrew. Tried several other props: APC 8x6, 8x7, & 8x8; the 8x7 works about the best on this motor, and is a little faster than the 9x6, but doesn't have as much pull. Might hafta try a 9x4 like the combat guys are talking about. Someday, if the plane survives my piloting, I'm gonna put a TT Pro 36 in it and really make it scream!
Old 09-02-2010, 07:33 AM
mike early

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU7VLjRK5X8

E-Flite .10-.15 Retracts GP Combat Spitfire
Old 09-02-2010, 10:00 AM
wyo69cowboy

Very nice!
Old 10-04-2010, 12:09 PM
bawhite17

Hey Mike, great work with the retracts! you mentioned having them on a p47 as well. do you have any pics of that and now that you have used two different kinds of retracts, which do you prefer? thanks in advance.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:13 PM
bawhite17

Hey, do you have a link for where to find these combat P47n kits? Thanks!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:42 PM
mike early

ORIGINAL: bawhite17

Hey Mike, great work with the retracts! you mentioned having them on a p47 as well. do you have any pics of that and now that you have used two different kinds of retracts, which do you prefer? thanks in advance.

I prefer the Electric Retracts 100%. Install and fly. No tinkering or adjusting ever. Best thing to happen to this hobby in a long time.
I had mechanical retracts on the P-47. Always fiddling with.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:49 PM
wyo69cowboy

Got my TT Pro 36! Was a little irritated when Great Planes/Tower started jacking the pricing around recently, so I ordered it from Graves R/C. I think I'd better practice a little more with the Spitfire and the 25FP to get my reflexes ready for more speed!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Don B.H.

GRASSHOPPER cuts them out of foam. Thr kits go together nice and they are good flying planes.
Bullet Proof Lets see if we can get him>>>>
Old 10-16-2010, 08:58 AM
grasshopper

Correctamundo. I cut kits for RC COMBAT. Unfortunately that's not really what this thread is about. The GP "Combat ARFs" are so ill suited for combat that no one in his right mind would use one. The guys posting here seem mainly interested in having fun with them, putting in retracts, electrifying, overpowering, etc. So my input is go ahead and have fun guys, that's what we do this for. What this forum, and combat in general really need, however, is pilots who actually compete in AMA sanctioned events and talk about how to do that in the RC Combat forum of RCU. A topic that is somewhat out of place in this discussion thread if I read it right.

Nonetheless, if anyone reading this wants a true COMBAT kit for actual competition, yes I do have 2 kits currently in production. The Ki-43 Oscar and as noted, a P-47N Thunderbolt. Both are designed to be 2948 and 3048 legal (AMA Scale Combat) Sell price $65 plus shipping.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Don B.H.

That is just it Chris... bawhite17 asked me where to get the COMBAT P-47 and to me the COMBAT P-47 is the one you cut' as I fly my Oscars Thunder Bolts and Zeros in 2548 i know what they would do... But on the other hand I would fly my GP P-51 or Spitfire in 2610 if they had any around here, It is starting back upon the west coast so I hear.... I read most COMBAT forums and if I see someone is looking for a COMBAT planeI send them to you... If they are looking for a sport war bird I send them to Great Planes 1/12 AMA 750...
I am trying to help COMBAT grow and I have helped some get into the sport.

Thank you
Don Holmes Jr
RCCA 957
Old 10-23-2010, 08:48 PM
mike early

Flew my combat spitfire a few times today. E-Flite .10-.15 retracts working flawlessly. Shimmed them forward a bit. Now I can do touch and goes. : looks great when the gear lowers at a scale speed. With the grass cut short and drying out, I can finally taxi around, but the 10" prop touches the ground sometimes. Will try a 9x7 3-blade prop next time to give me a little more ground clearance. Only problem is that Dubro doesn't make a 2.25" three blade prop, they only come in 2-blades for that size. Will use a 2.5" three-bladed prop that I already had. It doesn't look too bad.

Love this plane. I use max deflection on ailerons and rudder and the snap rolls are scary. Even with only 1/4" of elevator.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:29 AM
esbenbach

I must agree that the spitfire is the one of the funniest planes I ever owned in my life + its fairly cheep witch good for a student . I’m on my second plane right now and I've just ordered the third because my current plane looks worn-out. She really looks like a warbird!

Im using Hs-81 for ailerons and hs 82mg for rudder and elevator, witch works very well.

It was from its childhood powered by a OS 32sx but I've just mounted a Rossi 40 with a Stuker Jurgen muffler - I haven't tried it yet. Maybe it’s too heavy, but my experience says, that if the plane first is going then it's not a problem. The most critical is takeoff. I've made a simple trailer witch worked sometimes with the 32 Sx'er mounted, but it need some mortifications before i will try it out again.

I hope that you will understand my poor english

Here are some pictures of my model:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89833.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1521987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49794.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1521988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27223.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1521989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56709.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	1521990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35930.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	1521991  
Old 10-24-2010, 11:44 AM
mike early

I'd love to see a movie of that trailer in action. And a movie of how fast it flies with that Rossi 40 with a Stuker Jurgen muffler!
Old 10-24-2010, 12:52 PM
esbenbach

Yep the trailer is pretty special. It's made out of my old Kyosho Osmose. Its to tall in the front so I think I'll need to shorten the landing gear up a bit. It is also too wide, witch effects the handling under takeoff. I will try to glue the sticks closer to the body and hopefully my handling will be better The good thing about the trailer is that it's very cheap plus it was easy for me to build.

My goal is to beat a funjet, but i don't know if it's possible with this setup. The Rossi turns a 9x8 apc with about 15000 rpm and it's total weight with fuel will be between 1700-1900 grams (very heavy )
Old 03-22-2013, 01:28 AM
gomez_rh

Hello everyone!
I know this is a pretty old thread, I just had a question about the Great Planes Spitfire power system:

I am looking to buy a new airframe for an Electrifly setup that Icurrenly have (Rimfire .10 [35-30-1250kv] motor, Electrifly SS-35 and 3S 2100mah Lipo). I have it on a Electrifly Yak-54 "E-Performance" airplane which I normally fly half throttle for most of the time as it is PLENTY of power for this 41.5"wingspan airplane, it pulls off 3D maneuverseven hoveringvery easily at 3/4 of power!!... That being said, IKNOWthat the Spitfire is meant to be flown FAST!That's whyI supposeGreat Planes recommends the newer Rimfire .25 motor with a 45A ESC and 3200mah Lipo. OK, long story short, Iwant to know if my setup with the Rimfire .10 motor can just "put it to fly" nicely [I'm NOT looking after blistering fast speeds or anything like that, just putting it in the air with the setup that I already have]. Do you guys think it will fly at all?(Iplan on flying the Spitfire without the landing gear as Iwill be belly-landing it on short grass, plus the lighter setup, smaller/lighter lipo and motor will bring the weight down a little bit I suppose, giving the smaller motor/setup an "easier" time to get this plane into the sky?)
(According to the specs on the Tower Hobbies website, the Spitfire's flying weight is "40-48oz (1130-1360g)", and the .10 Rimfire that I have is supposed to work on "sport airplanes up to 48oz (1360g)"again, according to Tower Hobbies website. SINCEIwill be flying it without the landing gear, plus the diminished weight of my electric setup, I SUPPOSEthat it will fly "just fine" with the .10 Rimfire??? Also, I read at some other forum a guy saying that he put a Glow engine on the Spitfire and that it weighted in at about 37oz fully loaded, 3oz less than the minimum advertised fliying weight...What do you guys think about that?)

Hope to hear back from someone and help me decide whether to buy this little planewhich looks like a ton of fun to fly!or just turn it down and go look at some other airplanes

Thanks in advance!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.