Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Liquid cooled touring car

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Easy rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Liquid cooled touring car

ORIGINAL: RURC

I was talking to the designer of the TCS the other day and I was informed that the brushless one also comes with the colling block that goes on the esc. It is sized to fit the LRP and the Novak which means it will also fit the Mamba Max.
Right, that explains why the brushless is more expensive. Do you have any idea where I can buy the ESC cooling block ? BTW , I have tested the TCS some more and it really works good , the pump is actually pumping the liquid thrue the tubes. I finally managed to get all the air bubbles out of the system. Those two vertical tubes work amazingly well and trap the unwanted air bubbles . Tomorrow I'll put a front grill in the body and shoot some pics to show you how I mounted it on my car.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:10 PM
RURC

ORIGINAL: carmatic1

are we getting into the realm of enthusiast heat dissipation now? i have alot of experience with watercooling the last few PC's ive had, but what about these ESC's ... im guessing it almost certainly involves taking it apart to remove the stock cooler? how do we mount the waterblocks... im assuming the use of thermal compounds to enhance the contact between the waterblock and whatever it is cooling, but is there any possibility of mounting the waterblocks with some pressure to increase the rate of heat transfer like as is standard in PC's?
I am not sure but he said and I quote temp drops of 30c. That my friend is very significant.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Easy rider

Here are the pictures I promissed. I installed a front grill in the body to allow air to blow on the radiator. You can get a good idea of how my TA05 lookes right now. It's pretty much full option , I hope you like it.

It has every 3Racing option and every Tamiya option installed , the TCS cooling system , Mamba Max motor and ESC , TechRacing carbon upper plate , lipo battery , airbrushed body , Novak lipo cut-off device , ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25760.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	625691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97793.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	625692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75483.jpg
Views:	1970
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	625693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75508.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	625694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep86909.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	625695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hx32546.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	625696  
Old 02-20-2007, 06:51 PM
rcmaster103

Dang! That thing is nice! I love the grill you made. Looks amazing.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:00 AM
montrealer

Very Nice !

Can I ask why you are using the Novak Lipo cut-off when you have a lipo cu-off integrated in the Mamba ESC ?
Old 02-21-2007, 07:43 AM
Easy rider

ORIGINAL: montrealer

Very Nice !

Can I ask why you are using the Novak Lipo cut-off when you have a lipo cu-off integrated in the Mamba ESC ?
Hi , good question ! Never tought about that hahaha. The lipo cut-of device has been on the car long before the Mamba Max. I used a Novak GTB before and I left it on the car , but you are right , I don't need it on the car anymore. Thanks , I'll take it off and place it on another car.

Thanks for the tip. :-)

I'm glad you like my TA05. It's a project car but I race it aswell , it's the best driving TC I ever had.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:57 AM
montrealer

Glad I made you realise about the Novak thingie. One less wire in the clutter

I'm really curious to see how well the system performs. It's good on overclocked PCs so why not on RC cars ?

A few things I would remove also are the contact switch on the Mamba, just cut it off and the Spektrum receiver doesn't need the capacitor with the Mamba, it puts out a steady 5v, not like the other ESCs I've tried in the past. The layout would be much cleaner and maybe this ould allow you to put the pump on the chassis instead of the top plate.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:09 AM
fugadude

Beautiful car, a little attention to the wires would be cool maybe a steel like sleeve?
Old 02-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Easy rider

Putting the pump on the bottom chassis would be hard because of the tubes. It wouldn't be as neat I thinck. I'm an absolute freak when it comes down to wiring an electric TC. I always try to make it as clean as possible. I would make it better if you have some ideas. What do you mean by a steel sleeve ?

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:52 PM
fugadude

I mean like a wire coupling to fit around and group your wires. I'm not saying it's sloppy or anything. I have been looking for something for my RS4. I used an integy fuel line coil around my transmitter wires. If you have any ideas let me know.

Take a look.

Name:	Om34301.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	626617  
Old 02-21-2007, 02:57 PM
fugadude

like a braided steel hose just a small one with little caps maybe to make it extra tidy.

Name:	Hf97567.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	626619  
Old 02-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Easy rider

ORIGINAL: fugadude

I mean like a wire coupling to fit around and group your wires. I'm not saying it's sloppy or anything. I have been looking for something for my RS4. I used an integy fuel line coil around my transmitter wires. If you have any ideas let me know.

Take a look.
Wow !! that's one mean RS4. Very nice. It looks like a big purple juwel. My HPI Savage looked like that aswell. That must have cost you a small fortune. You should send a picture to RC Car Action magazine for "reader's rides". Ok , I'll look into the braided hose , good idea. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Easy rider

Hello,

After testing the TCS some more during some real racing ( competition ) I made a few changes. I participated in a open modified 4WD class this week end ( even Lipo's and the Mamba Max were allowed , go figure ) so the TCS saw some real action.

1) The system really works and the water gets rather hot but the motor stayed cooler than the manifold so this is the proof that it works, the heat gets drawn out of the motor for sure.

2) You need to attach the radiator really good or it goes flying ( fixed that problem ) during impacts , so I found out :-)

3) The system just kept working all day long without a problem ( it's tough )

4) Don't forget your laptop when you go racing !!!! Like I did :-(

I finished 7th out of 11 drivers , my Mamba 5700 couldn't take the Novak 4.5 's and 3.5's , due to some wrong settings but I forgot my laptop so I couldn't change the settings.

The TCS is great and my TA05 didn't have a problem with the Yokomo BD's, XRay T2's and Hotbodies cyclones. Both did a great job all day long.

Just to let you guys know.

Name:	Pn36109.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	630442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74490.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	630443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98896.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	630444  
Old 02-26-2007, 08:31 PM
Almighty ODST

To answer the "special liquid" question, it is probably just de-ionized water.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:34 PM
R/C fan-addict

how about coolant fluid? [&:]
Old 02-26-2007, 09:36 PM
carmatic1

umm just a little question that i think i missed the answer for, but what size motors do they do this jacket for again??
Old 02-26-2007, 09:38 PM
R/C fan-addict

Old 02-27-2007, 10:14 AM
carmatic1

looks like ima need to find another way to get that water to my motors....my car already has a 'pocket' on one side of the space for the motor,that is used to hold the stock heatsinks, all i got to do is find a way to turn that into watercooling...
Old 02-27-2007, 02:36 PM
R/C fan-addict

just put a widely spaced fin heatsink on the motor. Then run copper tubing through the fins and most likely you should put some thermal paste on there too for better heat conduction. Then run something like fuel tubing from one end of the copper tubing to a pump that will push liquid to the motor. Then run the other end from the copper tubing to a radiator. Then hook the pump and the radiator up together to get a neat water cooling system. You could also substitute the heatsink and copper tubing with something like this: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGBH3&P=7

I think the coils are available separately too, somewhere on tower...
Old 02-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Easy rider

ORIGINAL: Almighty ODST

To answer the "special liquid" question, it is probably just de-ionized water.
The coolant has a funny smell to it and it kinda foams a little ( soapy feel ) , never smelled something like it before , but I'm sure some regular demineralised water will work just fine , don't bother by the "non-conductive" thing because the liquid will never have contact with the electronics because the filling system is foul proof and you'de better disconnect the battery when working on your TCS -or car for that matter -anyway
Old 02-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Easy rider

ORIGINAL: R/C fan-addict

how about coolant fluid? [&:]
I wouldn't use real coolant liquid from real cars because that contains lots of dangerous chemicals , like methanol ( the stuff that's nitro fuel contains , that's why there is a label with a skull on those nitro fuel bottles ) and a lot more wicked products.

KEEP AWAY ! :-)
Old 03-01-2007, 02:46 PM
R/C fan-addict

no I mean like the stuff used in water cooling system for PC's. Like this stuff: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835106060
Old 03-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

That's conductive... try FluidXP
Old 03-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Easy rider

Yes fluid XP is non-conductive and allot safer to use. This will also work great.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:09 AM
carmatic1

ORIGINAL: Easy rider

The coolant has a funny smell to it and it kinda foams a little ( soapy feel ) , never smelled something like it before , but I'm sure some regular demineralised water will work just fine , don't bother by the "non-conductive" thing because the liquid will never have contact with the electronics because the filling system is foul proof and you'de better disconnect the battery when working on your TCS -or car for that matter -anyway
its more of an issue in an rc car because , while computers stay still and generally if youve plugged everything nice and tight it stays that way... in rc cars, you run into stuff and your watercooling is probably gonna break like the other components in the car, if you spring a leak its better to like get everything in the chassis soaked in the fluid, leave a slick if it spills out of the car, and have the thermal protection on the esc kick in when theres not enough fluid left to circulate , rather than having water shorting out and killing the electronics onboard instantly...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.