Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Liquid cooled touring car

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 03:22 AM
Silentbob343

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Liquid cooled touring car

ORIGINAL: R/C fan-addict

how about coolant fluid? [&:]
Nothing works better than water. Water and a little water wetter to break the surface tension and prevent corrosion in the system.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/redline3.htm

Advance Auto, Auto Zone, O'Reilly, Kragen, NAPA, etc should all carry it. I know the first two I listed carry it.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:23 PM
R/C fan-addict

um no... coolant fluid is a much better conductor of heat. Apparently it doesn't work for this application anyway because it is conductive, but it is much better than water for cooling stuff.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Easy rider

NON-conductive PC coolant will work just fine IMHO.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:47 PM
dude7422

hi to bad the brushless motor makers didnt think of this ahead of time should have made the out put shaft a little longer and mount coolant pump on out put shaft ooohh welll that will be next eng. motors dee dee dee
Old 03-03-2007, 10:13 PM
R/C fan-addict

um that's a pretty bad idea... you wouldn't want a coolant pump spinning at 65,000 rpm. Even if you geared it way down it would still be very fast. Also it would put more rolling resistance on your car which would slow you down. Seperate systems work much better.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:37 PM
carmatic1

yeah, not to mention you'll have so much headache fixing pumps unless they somehow dont break all the time at the speeds and heat theyre working at

what would be cool, tho, is in some cars originally meant for dual motors but are being powered by a single brushless motor (like the mini lst, e-zilla, etc), instead of a second motor spinning the spur gear it could be a pump with a giant 'pinion' gear , and all sorts of really expensive bearings and lubricants thats inside it to minimize the drag , but then again its really no point putting so much power thru the plumbing when all you needed to do was shift some hot and cold water around

motors have built in fans because air is easy to shift and fast moving air is good, but not so with liquid...

but, having motors with built in waterblocks, or motors that ship with a waterblock attached instead of a heatsink, now that will rule

maybe if we can get this market big enough we can get some traditional PC watercooling makers to make something for us ? that'll be really expensive tho, but imagine a 'danger den' sticker on your TC body
Old 03-04-2007, 11:37 PM
thaphillips

Open up your eyes and see

http://offshoreelectrics.com/accesso...l_water_jacket

ORIGINAL: carmatic1

heh weve had this in computers for years already... my computer is watercooled and has been so for like 4 years already... that said i would like to see a 'jacket' design of the motor waterblock tho, like it wraps around the motor so it would be a much better fit...
Old 03-05-2007, 02:41 AM
Easy rider

Hi Spook,

I just ordered such a water jacket from them , will try it out. It should work even better than the TCS manifold. I'll let you know how it goes.

[quote]ORIGINAL: spoook

Open up your eyes and see

http://offshoreelectrics.com/accesso...l_water_jacket

Old 03-05-2007, 06:18 PM
dude7422

hello all how about one of those ceramic mug heater cooler thingys they run on battery power just mod that to cool your motor and not evey ones motor turn 65,000rpm
Old 03-05-2007, 07:21 PM
R/C fan-addict

ORIGINAL: dude7422

hello all how about one of those ceramic mug heater cooler thingys they run on battery power just mod that to cool your motor and not evey ones motor turn 65,000rpm
well duh, not everyone's motor turns at 65,000. But that is about the normal peak number of RPM give or take a little of a brushless system and he said BL motor manufacturers should have extended the output shaft.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Easy rider

I thinck he means a built - in pump on the motor can and a long output shaft so we can still mount the pinion gear , I don't thinck he wants to say the pump has to rotate with the shaft.

ORIGINAL: dude7422

hi to bad the brushless motor makers didnt think of this ahead of time should have made the out put shaft a little longer and mount coolant pump on out put shaft ooohh welll that will be next eng. motors dee dee dee
Old 03-06-2007, 03:55 AM
carmatic1

aahh... well i guess this is one place where you cant get everything for nothing, there are gearboxes that wont fit the front-mounted blocks, while there are also gearboxes that wont fit the boat motor jackets... the worst of them are the gearboxes which fit neither, but honestly i think that most gearboxes can fit a normal motor heatsink , so if we can have a waterblock patterned after a normal heatsink (i.e. not a sleeve that goes all the way round) it would fit most gearboxes.... but i dunnoe, i havent looked at enough RC cars to judge properly
Old 03-06-2007, 11:23 AM
zephar123

looks really cool,, I jut cant sxee how I would mount the thing in one of my offroad cars without breaking the crud out of the radiator with in an hour or two.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:58 PM
carmatic1

i think thats why the thread is labelled as 'liquid cooled touring car'

but im sure like, you obviously dont put the radiator anywhere stupid like near the bumpers or way up above the chassis, and maybe now the electric trucks will have holes cut into the body just like the nitro trucks so that air can pass to the radiator
Old 03-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Easy rider

The radiator is nothing to worry about , it's the strongest parts of the system. It's one tough brick of aluminum and I would really want to meet the guy that can break it. I bet I can run it over with my real car and it'll come out undamaged.
ORIGINAL: zephar123

looks really cool,, I jut cant sxee how I would mount the thing in one of my offroad cars without breaking the crud out of the radiator with in an hour or two.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:55 PM
dude7422

hi all this is just for a joke so dont start any thing if you run this in the winter do you add anti freeze lol and if you get a leak in the rad can you add bars stop leak or alumia seal lol
Old 07-15-2011, 05:39 AM
Electric fueled

quick question, where do you have the pump plugged in on the RX? the "Bat" port, or a third chanel. i want to do something like this, but that one question is bugging me allot. and which cooling jacket did you buy for a what sized castle motor? please answer me.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:01 AM
Link119
My Feedback: (1)

The batt port is where. And please dont bring up old posts...

Also.... WELCOME to RCU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2011, 09:29 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Link119

The batt port is where. And please dont bring up old posts...

Also.... WELCOME to RCU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, the batt port is where you power the receiver when using it in a nitro car. To power the pump, you would need to plug it into a 3rd channel.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Link119
My Feedback: (1)

Or if your running electric, like what this whole section of the forum is about, you would plug it into the batt port if you dont have a third channel.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Electric fueled

i think ur right about the batt port but i wasn't sure so i asked. (duh) and no one has answered my question about the cooling jacket!!
Old 08-07-2011, 02:24 AM
cumquat

no one answered that question because the thread is 4 years old.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Electric fueled

i know but i was wondering if anyone could