Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Liquid cooled touring car

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 08:54 AM
RURC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Liquid cooled touring car

ORIGINAL: bte214

As long as it acctually does work I don't have a prob with it. I realize about the 1:1 car thing as I do not have a VW lol. If the pump moves it fast enough it doesn't seem like it would spend enough time in the radiator to exchange enough heat. Looking at the rate water streams out of my boat it just seems like it would be too fast then. But if it works hey why not. Also do you know what kind of "special fluid" it is? Some things you may want to check out is brush cooling (kyosho made a kit) and the water jacket for the super vee.. It's not a coil but a sleeve that fits over it, and it doesn't seem as bulky as a coil. Check out the first few products on this page http://offshoreelectrics.com/MainPage.htm
It is not a high volume pump. I do not know what the special fluid is. One thing I will say is you have to blead the hell out of it. No air in the system at all can be tolerated.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:03 AM
RURC

ORIGINAL: mindwreck

i don't think it conducts heat very well... a better idea would probably be getting some cheap motor heatsink and brazing tubing onto the surface
You are 100% correct. I say lookinto the cooling coils from Groupner or traxxas. They are aluminum.

https://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/servlet/AI?ARTN=3325
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21982.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	615685  
Old 02-07-2007, 10:09 AM
IamDisaster

Doesn't seem to be implemented well....but it may help with ultra-hot brushless motors. I can't see it being very useful in a typical race car...the weight to performance penalty rules it out. You'd be better off with a nice copper heat sink.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Easy rider

ORIGINAL: RURC

ORIGINAL: Easy rider

I would rather like to see a motor cooling clamp instead of the manifold but if RURC says it's good I believe him too because I have read most of his posts and he seems like a very smart and experienced guy. He sure gives lots of info in his posts.
Thanks RURC.

And RURC:

Have you got any pictures or ideas how to mount it on a TA05 ? Specially the radiator because I realy like the way it's done on the picture in my first post but I dont see how it's done with the bumper. Is that bumper cut in two ? Do you know a website with more information about this product - I sure can't find any -

Thanks for your help.
Here is what Ihave for contact.
http://www.tcscooling.com/
They have almost no information on this on their web site.

Here are a couple of photos on installation.
http://www.tcscooling.com/installation.html

On the 1/8 and 1/5 scale onraod cars I did I did almost teh same thing as you will see in the top right photo. I just cut the bumper to flow the air into the raid. I also did open the front of the body and covered the hole with screen. The inlet hole dose not need to be very big. So start small and go larger till you get what you want. The cars I build were for clients of mine. I do not publish their cars without permission. I will email one of them an see if they will give permission. I have never worked on a TA05 so Icannot give any information on how it would work on that chassis. The 1/5 scale car I did got 2 radiators and fans to provide even more air flow. I dont think the fans were needed but it worked very nicely.

Thanks RURC,

I couldn't find that website myself , neat. By the looks of it , I will mount it in front on the bumper. That looks safe enough for impacts. That side mounting option isn't a real option sice it will be just begging for a side collision.

Those 1/5 cars you are talking about are those FG or similar brand. Did you work with a Zenoah "the pump" engine or are they electric 1/5 scale like the one from H.A.R.M. the EP1 ?

I f you can get permission to post those pictures , please do it , they can be very helpfull.

Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:13 PM
RURC

The 1/5 ones I have done have been converted gas cars. FG, HARM, even 2 HPI Baja 5 buggies. The electric HARM and others are insanely expensive. It is cheaper to convert then to buy them and build for the most part. I do have 3 of the Lauterbacher ones coming in though. Very nice and less than $1000 USD. Here are some photos.>:

This one is shows how they do the batteries but I will be useing lipos

They should prove out to be nice.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:20 AM
R/C fan-addict

for thermal paste, don't get artic silver. The stuff is crap compared to zalman's paste. It has been proven in reviews that the zalman paste can lower the temperature of a CPU under full load a full 8 degrees celcius!!!!
Old 02-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Easy rider

Yes RURC, those big cars are expensive. I once had a Lauterbacher X Supercross 1/6 off-road and a Lauterbacher L3 on-road car both gas. Sold them 2 years ago because to expensive to drive . Those batteries aren't cheap either in my opinion , because you need so many of them. But I do like the idea to convert to electric , IMO that's the future of RC cars.

I just love how fast things evolve in the electric world , amazing performance and run times with brushless. I have 5 brushless cars myself and I just love them.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: R/C fan-addict

for thermal paste, don't get artic silver. The stuff is crap compared to zalman's paste. It has been proven in reviews that the zalman paste can lower the temperature of a CPU under full load a full 8 degrees celcius!!!!
The ceramique I linked to is pretty good though (I use it myself). Perhaps Zalman's is better (love their wacky sink designs), but either way it will help in an RC car cooling application like this.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:41 PM
R/C fan-addict

ORIGINAL: Eman77

ORIGINAL: R/C fan-addict

The ceramique I linked to is pretty good though (I use it myself). Perhaps Zalman's is better (love their wacky sink designs), but either way it will help in an RC car cooling application like this.
yeah, it's just that artic silver was the previous best, so the best is now the zalman. I mean 8C over the silver at full load is a lot!
Old 02-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Eman77

Yeah it is....that's pretty sweet!
Old 02-08-2007, 04:58 PM
mindwreck

i seriously call bs on the 8C cooler. In all my years of computer cooling there has't been a jump like that ever. I have at last 10 different kinds of thermal paste i've tested, all the way back to the first artic silver.

If your talking about that "new" zalman super paste(zm-stg1, yeah i remember the name.im taht geeky) , its good but not 8C good... at most its about 1-3C cooler than AC5. not bashing zalman i have a couple of they're stuff and love them.

in terms of cooling I rank: 1. zalman 2. AC5 3. ceramique. #2 and #3 are like 1-2C different, I recommend the zalman or ceramique, both much easier to clean than AC5. and nonconductive incase it touches the motor terminals
Old 02-08-2007, 08:32 PM
R/C fan-addict

well here's the article where I heard the 8C thing: http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php...2688&Itemid=40

I mean when some guys on the computer forum told me about it, I said BS too. But I really think it's that good.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:04 PM
mindwreck

not familiar with that site. here 3 reviews that got similar results to what i got when i tested it

http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/zal...ase/index3.php
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=464520
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=278
Old 02-08-2007, 10:34 PM
R/C fan-addict

whatever, whether it's 5C or 8C doesn't really matter, point is it's better than arctic silver.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:13 AM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

I used to run AS all the time... but some time you have to cut the CRAP and say "$10??? Why am I spending $10 on AS when I can use normal thermal compound and not be that much different?" To a non-overclocker, AS is overrated.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:58 AM
Easy rider

The system came in the mail today ;-)

I must say I'm amazed by the parts quality of the TCS system. The parts are really high quality aluminum components. I was affraid the radiator would be fragile but it's not , not at all. It feels very durable and will survive impacts I'm sure. There are two bottles of coolant included in the box wich is nice. The manual is clear and features a few mounting sugestions too. It also comes with two decal sheets with very nice TCS decals.

The pump -when activated- blinks a very high-Tech bleu LED , wich gives your car that ultra modern look and indicates a good working system.

Also two long motor screws are included so you are able to mount the motor plate inbetween the can and your motor plate.

Here are the pictures :

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31597.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	620417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80782.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	620418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35511.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	620419  
Old 02-13-2007, 07:49 AM
RURC

It looks like you got a early release one with the straight ends off the raidator. I have one that was preproduction that has the straight connections. But the last one I got had angled connections. I hope you like it.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Easy rider

It looks like you got a early release one with the straight ends off the raidator. I have one that was preproduction that has the straight connections. But the last one I got had angled connections. I hope you like it.
Hi RURC,

Can you show us some pictures of your systems please. Mine is the brushed one but the seller says there is no difference between the two except for the price ? Funny isn't it. Where do you buy yours ?

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:25 AM
RURC

I got mine direct from TTech. I got them for customer cars. I dont have one on any of my personal cars. However I am going to put one on the next project car. It is a 1/7 off road buggy. I will run a thread on it when I start it. As far as a difference I dont know at all. All I got was the brushless ones. I have never seen a brushed one. Sorry.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Easy rider

I got mine direct from TTech. I got them for customer cars. I dont have one on any of my personal cars. However I am going to put one on the next project car. It is a 1/7 off road buggy. I will run a thread on it when I start it. As far as a difference I dont know at all. All I got was the brushless ones. I have never seen a brushed one. Sorry.
Aha , allright. I'm looking forward to your building thread , I'm sure you'll do a great job.

I installed the TCS on my TA05 and seems to work good , I don't think the pump is pushing the water to fast , it's slow enough to give it time to cool down I think. I can't see the coolant flow thrue the tubes ( I installed transparant silicon tubes ) I'm just guessing. I'll post some pictures soon.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:47 PM
carmatic1

actually , if its flowing slow enough to let it cool down in the first place, then its also slow enough for it to heat up at the other end... and well, once the water is heated , its not going to cool anything anymore, until its been cooled off again in the radiator, so the outgoing end of the waterblock will be warmer than the incoming end...
so you want the water to be pumped as fast around as possible, so that the temperature is as even as possible throughout the system...

bout time we had a liquid cooled RC car , tho!
how much weight does it add to a 1/10 onroad car?is it pretty severe with the pump and all the liquid...
Old 02-15-2007, 02:27 PM
Easy rider

ORIGINAL: carmatic1

actually , if its flowing slow enough to let it cool down in the first place, then its also slow enough for it to heat up at the other end... and well, once the water is heated , its not going to cool anything anymore, until its been cooled off again in the radiator, so the outgoing end of the waterblock will be warmer than the incoming end...
so you want the water to be pumped as fast around as possible, so that the temperature is as even as possible throughout the system...

bout time we had a liquid cooled RC car , tho!
how much weight does it add to a 1/10 onroad car?is it pretty severe with the pump and all the liquid...
I estimate the weight of the TCS including coolant around 70 grams.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:40 PM
RURC

I was talking to the designer of the TCS the other day and I was informed that the brushless one also comes with the colling block that goes on the esc. It is sized to fit the LRP and the Novak which means it will also fit the Mamba Max.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:02 PM
fugadude

cool concept there are many ways to have fun in R/C one shouldn't limit themselves. You can love the performance, looks, ideas, whatever... some of you guys sound like RC puritans haha
Old 02-19-2007, 01:09 PM
carmatic1

I was talking to the designer of the TCS the other day and I was informed that the brushless one also comes with the colling block that goes on the esc. It is sized to fit the LRP and the Novak which means it will also fit the Mamba Max.
are we getting into the realm of enthusiast heat dissipation now? i have alot of experience with watercooling the last few PC's ive had, but what about these ESC's ... im guessing it almost certainly involves taking it apart to remove the stock cooler? how do we mount the waterblocks... im assuming the use of thermal compounds to enhance the contact between the waterblock and whatever it is cooling, but is there any possibility of mounting the waterblocks with some pressure to increase the rate of heat transfer like as is standard in PC's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.