Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:30 AM
DarksideVR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

ORIGINAL: namewasdallas

Is anyone in this thread running the Firestorm with different shock setup, I'm trying to set my truck up to race at my buddys its run what ya brung. There's like 10 people that race his track all for fun but yet competitive, I've been reading about different shock setups and the best spring combo I've came across is the rc10 t4 Green and Blue progressive springs. I'm not sure if its just the springs or the entire shock if that would even fit on the storm????? I know the spring its self would.

Is anyone running diff oil instead of the grease and if so whats a good weight to start at 3-5k?

Thanks for the help ~ namewasdallas

I run the proline shocks with hpi 35 weight shock oil. and I love them. Some where on this thread I posted a buncha info on them search back in this thread if you are interested
Old 08-18-2011, 12:39 PM
namewasdallas

I'll try its hard to search a thread thats over 300 pages long and find what im looking for.. Im just going to pick up a Tunning 5 from Associated its 10.00 for 5 different rear sets and same price for the 5 different front color springs and experiment.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:19 PM
DarksideVR

Found it most of the way down page 310. lol

I meant to make a post as to my final notes on installing the Pro-Line Power Stroke Shocks Front (6063-00) and Rear (6063-01) on to the E Firestorm. You will need the Pro-Line Power Stroke SC Universal Shock Mounting Hardware Kit (6063-05) the kit comes with 4- cap head screws identical to the stock ones on the top shocks of the E Firestorm. 4 cap head screws longer than our stock ones. 4-flat washers, 4-flat nuts, and 4-M3 nuts all the same as our stock ones. 4-delrin shock pivots, you need those because the hole on the top of the Pro-Line shocks is smaller than the HPI shocks. I ordered the kit just for these 4 pivots. You will probably want to get longer button head screws for the bottom mount on the rear shocks. Our stock ones barely thread into the rear shock arms. I wasn't comfortable with it. I got longer ones (HPI part # 100559) M3x14mm. You could even get longer ones if you wanted. I have not been able to test the performance of the shocks, due to bad weather. I started with 40 and 45 weight oil and, the ride height is certainly higher. Hopes this helps anyone looking to put these on their E Firestorm

Further update....I love these shocks I went to 40 weight all around...or 35....no 40. hummm anyway. I think could be the single biggest improvement I have ever made on the storm. just my .02
Old 08-18-2011, 02:38 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will have the 2.4ghz RX/TX out of my Savage Flux for sale when it gets here, Let me know if anybody wants it.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:36 AM
namewasdallas

Alright So i got my RTR E-Firestorm, with the  vektor 4800kv motor and a 7 cell Nimh battery packt. Charged the batter put it in car ran like ****. kept cutting in and out. Me and my buddy figured it out that this one came pre set with Auto Lipo Detect. So we had to reset the ECU.

Ive never driven a brushless truck and this was in the dark on a track it seems fast, only issue is it likes to spin. I adjusted the shocks when i got home but havent ran it yet.

After 20 mins of running and crashs nothing broke.

Motor -101

ESC- 125

Battery-120
Old 08-20-2011, 04:51 AM
redfisher1974

Yeah thats one of the biggest mistakes people make with new brushless rc's..Forgetting to turn the LVC off. The motor temps are really good, Battery temps are high due to it being a low end NIMH pack. Lipos will run much cooler and give you twice the power. get the castle Field link and you can dial in your power and punch and get rid of the wheel spin. Better tires help alot too.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:22 PM
namewasdallas

Alright i went to my hobby shop today told the guy i bought a New Storm and he told me it was crap cause it doesnt have a ball diff in it stock so its untuneable. Then I told him you can swap in a Ball Diff from the Blitz and he shut up.

So i bought some Assosciated Green Rear Springs, Blue Front, only issue i had is the top of the shock where the spring is suppose to go into the Perch that holds it, The spring is either a little to small diameter or the perch is two big to fit them evenly around it. Fits the Bottom perfect.

Maybe I should pick up the older style ones from the firestorm and see if the spring fits. I adjusted the shocks to how i like them and the truck no more spinning out and crazy wheelies digs in and boogys.

I don't know if this is some sort of issue, but if i move the rear wheels one wheel at a time by hand it makes almost a grinding noise!!!

- Could it be the slipper?

-Or the Gear Diff?

Maybe its just slipping and its real loud unlike my rustlers..
Old 08-20-2011, 02:34 PM
thehuntingterminator

sounds like to me its your tranny, but it could also be that your slipper pads are gone.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:00 PM
namewasdallas

Another question, Im running a Novak Millienium Charger with  Novak N Power supply, Im charging the 7 cell Plazma 3300mah.

My charger is Set at 1.5amps thats its max for Nimh batteries It also charges between 9-10.30 Volts set on 7cell and 1.5amp- Is that alright to charger the battery. Last charge it put 3653mah into the pack. Takes awhile to charge one up.

Does it sound set up right?

I'm waiting on my new Venom Pro charger and my Lipo's
Old 08-20-2011, 03:03 PM
namewasdallas

How could the slipper pads be gone, It was only driven for two runs and is brand new... I checked the slipper before i drove it cause the screw was loose that holds the cover on so i poped it off wasnt to loose or to tight.

I'll have to try to make a video of it.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:16 PM
nitro-rob

HPI makes spring sets for the blitzt that work on the storm that cover a wide range of spring rates.

Could you be hearing the motor cogging when you turn the wheels.

Great hobby shop is the guy that owns it says your stuff is crap. I would tell him he was a crappy hobby shop guy for that comment. Ball diffs aren't all they are cracked up to be and you can always tune a gear differential with oil. The ball diff doesn't hold up to 3s very well.

I took out the SCB today and it has a mmax pro and SCT 3800 in it and I popped the outer bead and the foam came off with the tire still on the rim.

ORIGINAL: namewasdallas

How could the slipper pads be gone, It was only driven for two runs and is brand new... I checked the slipper before i drove it cause the screw was loose that holds the cover on so i poped it off wasnt to loose or to tight.

I'll have to try to make a video of it.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:26 PM
nitro-rob

Here is something out of the blue, the owner of T-bone racing just added me on LinkedIn.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:35 PM
namewasdallas

How'd you like that Mamba setup Nitro Im thinking of getting the MM Pro SCT esc and the 2400kv or 3800kv. what type of gearing did you have and battery C's, mAH, ?

Here's a video of the noise its making when i hold one tire and rotate the other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIbfD-dJiG0

Old 08-20-2011, 03:39 PM
namewasdallas

So my battery pack just finished and it saying it took 10.55volts, 3842mah, 138756 J and  9220 Seconds whatever that equals in mintues..

Does that sound weird for a 7 cell 3300mah pack hpi gives ya?

Old 08-20-2011, 04:04 PM
nitro-rob

Its hard to tell from the video if its the transmission but it doesn't sound good.  Could the dogbones be grinding on the output shafts?  Unless its in my hands I can't tell much.  Where does the sound come from?

Doesn't sound weird to me that the pack says that.

I run a mamba max pro, SCT 3800 motor and 83/24 to 83/26 gearing with a three cell thunder power 5000 mAh 35 C battery.  Read back to around june or july when I first ran this motor and played with the settings.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:41 PM
namewasdallas

Its got to be coming from the tranny or something, I'm going to have to pull it all apart tmrw and see whats going on.

Also another thing maybe its just cause its brushless, but when i get on it then come to a dead stop it kinda hesiates before it takes off like its lagging its like a 1second or 2 second pause then it takes right off.

Also after driving it for awhile then come to a complete stop not touching anything the truck will just take off slow for about 5ft then stop. I have the trim settings all set at 0 or in the middle, and the one turned all the way to max. I picked up the rear tires when it started doing it and they just kept spinning the ESC was blinking Green but before that it was yellow.

I tryed to adjust the throttle trim back into towards reverse just enough that it wouldnt take off backwards but it would still go forward only way to make it stop when it doing that is to push the trigger forward in the brake and it will stop and then maybe 10-30 seconds of sitting idle checking temps and such takes right off again...

I love the truck its fast on a nimh pack and with the new springs all preloaded to how i like it no more spinning out and it handles like its on rails.Just these small stupid issues... 
Old 08-20-2011, 04:45 PM
thehuntingterminator

yes the "lagging" is whats called cogging.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:41 PM
nitro-rob

Red, do you get less cogging at higher voltage than at lower voltage?  I don't know if you've run your new setup a lot on 2s or not.  I've heard the SCT motor cogs a lot on 2s compared to 3s but its second hand information.  

I parted with the 2-pole 4600 today.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:28 AM
redfisher1974

I have never run it on 2s yet, the 2s pack is for my CC-01.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:29 AM
redfisher1974

I have never run it on 2s yet, the 2s pack is for my CC-01.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:15 PM
thehuntingterminator

you sell it?
ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

Red, do you get less cogging at higher voltage than at lower voltage? I don't know if you've run your new setup a lot on 2s or not. I've heard the SCT motor cogs a lot on 2s compared to 3s but its second hand information.
I parted with the 2-pole 4600 today.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:18 PM
nitro-rob

Yup.  Sold.  I am cleaning up the shop and moving stuff I realistically won't use anymore.   The spare motor is a 4600 4-pole which is more than enough.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:29 PM
ElectricGuy007

Anyone's diff cups been wearing out? I think i may need new ones.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:35 PM
nitro-rob

Not with the new outdrives.  I've been beating mine senseless all year and they look new.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:45 PM
redfisher1974

I wore out 3 sets fast, but this newest set is not wearing at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.