Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
SC10
16.67%
Slash 2WD
33.33%
Blitz
47.22%
Strike
2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Of the options which would you/did you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:52 AM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Of the options which would you/did you buy?

I've been watching the short course trucks at my local track and finally decided to buy one. I even had a chance to race one in the Main Race. I came in second my first time racing one, I was hooked. So I bought a SC10 with the KMC Wheels body. The ESC lasted one day, well actually half a day. At the start of the main I turned it on and nothing. So my LHS sent it in and gave me a loaner. Perfect. Until the next weekend of racing. Made it to the main, but 5 laps in smoke starts coming out of the body. So I bring it over to the stands and the motor was extremely hot. So I call Associated and they say that what causes it is running Lipo batteries for long periods of time and not lubing the motor before each use. I tell the guy, where I race, our Heat races are 4 minutes long and the main is 6 minutes. He says he'll put one in the mail. So it gets here and I dip in a glass of water for 30 Seconds at about 30-40% power. I check the brushes and they are smooth and perfectly rounded as they fit the thingy inside the motor. So I let it dry and lube it up. On my work bench I'm holding the back end up and working the throttle, after a couple of minutes it's starts sounding funny, which I thought was the battery going dead, so I hold it full throttle, for like 4-6 seconds. Next thing I know the thing inside starts glowing red and smoke starts coming out of the motor. OMG. I'm floored. WTH is going on here. So I take it back out and it looks fine. I lube it up and put it back in the SC10 and give it some throttle and it seems fine. But I'm guessing that when I put this truck on the track, it won't finish the first race. I'll find tomorrow during practice.
My question, Is anyone else experienceing problems with their SC10?
Or Has anyone heard of some SC10 ESC's and Motor's being defective?
Thanks,
John
Old 02-26-2010, 09:15 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Of the options which would you/did you buy?

I have an SC10, and I'm going to pick up a Blitz ESE when it comes out. I don't race, just drive around for the fluff of it.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:17 AM
MaddMatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have an Sc10, I swapped all the electronics for Traxxas waterproof stuff, and a Spektrum receiver.. I plan to Kick Your Ars with it in Falconer tomorrow
Old 02-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Redvanmafia

there all the same truck, handle roughly the same, nither will be faster around a track, its all prefrence witch company are you a fan boy of?, witch company has the best aftermarket support?,
Old 02-26-2010, 11:45 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds like a great setup MaddMatt.

My Blitz ESE is going to have Castle motor/esc and Spektrum radio most likely.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:13 PM
mercerbeef

what exactly are you lubeing? the bearing or the whole motor?
Old 02-26-2010, 12:32 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bigblock - Your experiences with the ESC and motors dying are not all that uncommon on the SC10. When the early trucks came out they where over geared and the motors and ESC's where dying left and right. It was my understanding that Associated changed the gearing in later trucks but I could be wrong. There is a chance that you have one of the early models.

In any case I would swap to something different. If you're running MOD then you can run pretty much anything you like but the most common swaps are the Traxxas XL5 ESC and 2075 servo. It's also not hard to find a motor that out performs the stock Reedy. Something like the speed gems 15T or 17T would work great.

If I was buying a truck new I would stick with the Blitz or Slash. The Slash is a great package that has no problems putting you on the podium with minimal tuning and NO part swapping (contrary to what other like to say). The Blitz is a great truck but the Motor and stock tires are a real let down but those are the only things you really need to swap.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:44 PM
bigblock454XXL

Lubing just the bushing.

Thanks John. I'm planning on brushless sytem. Possible a Losi System.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:14 PM
bigblock454XXL

I've decided I'm going to put in a brushless system.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:20 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i said slash, for the toughness and ease of finding parts if you need them. it makes a good basher, and a decent racer. if you want a racer more than a basher, then the other choices might be better for you.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Doxiedad
My Feedback: (4)

I got a slash for valentines and love it. That being said I'm thinking about turning it into a basher and getting a SC10 for spec racing.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:28 PM
bigblock454XXL

As of today I've gone through two stock motor's, third one is still in the package. And two ESC's that came RTR in my SC10. What the heck is up with this freakin' truck? I'm starting a new thread.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:47 PM
bigblock454XXL

My final thought. . . I'll never buy another Associated product. I shoulda learned my lesson with my T4.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:26 PM
FASTLOUD

Sorry to hear that you've had such bad luck w/ your SC10. I have a rtr SC10 myself, I've had some instances where my motor got a lil hot but nothing has burned up yet and I've raced it1-2 times a week since x-mas. I run a 20c 2s lipo most of the time, sometimes a 35c 2s.One thing I've noticed from racing mine is these trucks are all about throttle control. Wheelspin is the dirty dog that isburning upmotors/esc's in these trucks. I dont know what your driving style is like, but Throttle Control is your best bud w/ an SC10. Smooth and easy
Old 03-10-2010, 02:49 AM
ausjethro

I have been fortunate enough to be able to purchase one each of the more popular short course trucks:Slash 2WD,AE SC10,HPI Blitz,and the Losi Strike.With the exception of the Strike which I did not have long enough to convert to brushless because of continual transmission problems and ongoing electrical issues,I would rate the others as follows;
1-Blitz = best all round short course truck-handles almost as well as the SC10 and is a pretty good basher.
2- SC10= best short course racer.
3- Slash-if you only had the choice of one short course truck,this is the one-very durable and can be set up as a fair race truck.
In the end it is really a matter of what you like-my good bashing buddy loves his B/L Blitz and B/L Losi Desert Truck and would never consider buying a Slash and I respect his personal opinion-he has a Traxxas VXL Bandit which does nothing for me!In the end,it's what YOU enjoy-if I have limited time,I always seem to grab the Slash for a quick bash!
4-Strike-!!!!!!!!!
IN THE GARAGE-
Slash 4x4.
Hobao Hyper 10SC-Novak HV PRO combo-5.5 motor.
Slash 2WD-Xcelorin 4800kv motor/Ezrun 80amp ESC.
AE SC10- Mamba Sidewinder 5700kv combo.
AE SC10-XErun 3200kv sensored motor/60amp ECS combo.
Blitz=Xcelorin 4800kv motor/EZrun 80amp ESC.
Brushless E-Revo.
converted E-Revo-EZrun 2200kv motor/150amp ESC.
3906 E-Maxx-3300kv motor/75amp ESC.
Savage Flux.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:58 PM
bigblock454XXL

Thanks jethro.