RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Remove old tires from rims (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/9123793-remove-old-tires-rims.html)

mnrcaerobat 09-25-2009 04:39 PM

Remove old tires from rims

Is there a good way to get old tires off of the rims? These were CA'ed on.

bckyrdbshr 09-25-2009 04:48 PM

RE: Remove old tires from rims

ORIGINAL: mnrcaerobat

Is there a good way to get old tires off of the rims? These were CA'ed on.
You can boil them or bake them in the oven. It's been so long since I did this I'm not sure of the temps. A search should find you more results. Both methods are kind of a hit or miss type deal as sometimes it works great and sometimes it dont. I just buy new when I need tires or rims as its a lot less trouble. I've also heard you could soak the tires and rims in acetone and it would break down the glue, never tried it though.

FieroMan121 09-25-2009 09:00 PM

well if the tire is shot than i just cut the tire out save the foam if its in reasonably good shape and take a dremal to the bead of the rim to get the tire lip and glue out

Dialed_In 09-25-2009 11:58 PM

Here are a few search results that may help.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_57...tm.htm#7107094
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_41...tm.htm#4207217
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_82...tm.htm#8277414
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_30...tm.htm#3055989

Chris_RC 09-26-2009 12:27 AM

If a tire is worn out, cut the tire close to the bead and soak the tires in acetone for a night or 2. The tires will come off easily. The foams will be toast though. The oven method sucks and the boiling method never really worked for me. Let me rephrase, if you take the worn tires out and take out the foam (only reuse good quality foam, NOT proline!) then the foam will be fine since it is not exposed to acetone. But if you soak the foam in the acetone they will tear easily. I just use a dry coffee container with lid for the acetone and only fill it with acetone about 1/8 of the way since the fumes is what really kills the CA.

SyCo_VeNoM 09-26-2009 11:25 AM

Boiling does work somewhat I've used it in trying to salvage 3 tires from rims. 2 tires came off fine (after fighting with them) 3rd one well got totaled its more hit or miss. Also be careful you don't burn your hands with the boiling method. Can I recommend the boiling method? not really its very time consuming (I spent around 40-50 mins a tire) and can be quite painful (hot water shot into the gloves I was using).

Personally like others have said if your not trying to save the tire just cut it off down to the rim ,and dremel the rest off the rim with a fine sanding bit. it will probably be the fastest, easiest, and safest way.

Later on I got to do the opposite I have a rim I don't care about (the hex hub stripped the rim) but the tires almost new. I'm probably gonna just cut the rim up and sand off the nylon ;)

MCSRacing 09-27-2009 10:20 AM

for all the pain in the butt for removing tires from wheels, it is just much easier to replace wheels and tires together .... i might have to try chris's method cause i got some discontinued wheel i dont wanna lose.

Chris_RC 09-27-2009 10:27 AM

ORIGINAL: MCSRacing

for all the pain in the butt for removing tires from wheels, it is just much easier to replace wheels and tires together .... i might have to try chris's method cause i got some discontinued wheel i dont wanna lose.
If you (Proline) tires are 1 run old and they have a torn foam, there is a good reason why I wouldnt want to spend more money on tires/foam and wheels.

rollingball 09-27-2009 05:27 PM

Boil for 10 minutes, then dunk in ice water. CA will be no match for ths meathod. Just about flakes off the rim.

rclugnut10 09-27-2009 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: rollingball

Boil for 10 minutes, then dunk in ice water. CA will be no match for ths meathod. Just about flakes off the rim.
ohh ice water brainy, i usually just boil for a few, wait until the cracking of the CA slows down, grab some oven mits and pliers go to work on up, and then boil some more as nessasary, this gets um off well with few burns, i have had an issue with duratrax rims getting a little deformed, but still runable, i've done this with some AE and proline rims with no trouble i suspect the duratrax ones deformed because of how hard the plastic was.

the lug

mnrcaerobat 10-09-2009 05:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

If a tire is worn out, cut the tire close to the bead and soak the tires in acetone for a night or 2. The tires will come off easily. The foams will be toast though. The oven method sucks and the boiling method never really worked for me. Let me rephrase, if you take the worn tires out and take out the foam (only reuse good quality foam, NOT proline!) then the foam will be fine since it is not exposed to acetone. But if you soak the foam in the acetone they will tear easily. I just use a dry coffee container with lid for the acetone and only fill it with acetone about 1/8 of the way since the fumes is what really kills the CA.

Worked great. I just put them in a container with a little acetone and after several days, they pulled off really easy.

Now how do I balance the tires. The rims I have had some glue from a hot glue gun in the bays. Is that a good way?

Chris_RC 10-09-2009 05:35 PM

ORIGINAL: mnrcaerobat

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Worked great. I just put them in a container with a little acetone and after several days, they pulled off really easy.

Now how do I balance the tires. The rims I have had some glue from a hot glue gun in the bays. Is that a good way?
If you have a 1/8 car you 17mm hexes the Dynamite tire balancer works great! You can also use a spare hub and take the driveshaft part out leaving the otudrive in and you can balance your tires that way also. I currently use the Dubro Pro balancer and it works good, but if you have big MT tires they wont fit. I use non hardening model clay on 0 offset rims and lead tape from a golf store for 1/2" offset rims. If you dont need a perfect balance job, modeling clay will work fine.

Brainanator 10-09-2009 06:41 PM

you don't want to just balance the rim/tires, make sure you mount the tire to the rim first. I don't know if you were planning on balancing just the rim or just the tires, balance them together as a set. I'm only saying this because you asked "Now how do I balance the tires.", which lead me to believe you wanted to balance them separately....(which I guess might work.....? but would be harder overall I think?)

Chris_RC 10-09-2009 07:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

you don't want to just balance the rim/tires, make sure you mount the tire to the rim first. I don't know if you were planning on balancing just the rim or just the tires, balance them together as a set. I'm only saying this because you asked ''Now how do I balance the tires.'', which lead me to believe you wanted to balance them separately....(which I guess might work.....? but would be harder overall I think?)
Also, what I do is either run the tire around the track for a tank if they are practice tires or if they are race tires I will fire the engine or electric motor up and ballon the tires a bit so the foam settles into place.