Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Hpi Baja 5b modifications

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 06:00 AM
Ewadz3006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hpi Baja 5b modifications

I got my Baja running good. Starts right up 1 or 2 pulls. It's lacking on low end power and actually isn't great on top either. What are some modifications that don't break the bank? I'm thinking maybe a clutch and pipe? Just looking for some suggestions. Thanks
Old 05-31-2016, 09:14 AM
The Saylors

Pipe always helps especially if your are running a stock can style. For the bottom end see if they make a 2 or 3 speed trans for it as that will get you a little more pep off the line. Trans will be a little pricey though if they make one for the baja 5b. For the 5ive t they are around $250-$350 if i remember correctly.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:54 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forget who, but someone does make a multispeed tranny for the Baja, What I remember is it being ridiculously expensive with moderate performance gains. A tuned pipe ( I recommend the DDM Dominator or the GBE pipe) is a must for any Baja. That and a well adjusted carb and you should be good.Also, you didn't mention what engine you are using. a DDM modified 30.5cc ported one would be great.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:09 PM
The Saylors

From what i have seen in the 5th scale community the 30.5-31.8cc motors seem to be the sweet spot for power and control. I plan on using the latter in my next build.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:31 AM
Ewadz3006

its just a stock 23cc engine. I've been keeping an eye out for pipes. is there a clutch kit that engages a little higher than stock? the tranny is out the window, im not going to put that kind of money in this buggy. I'm not really impressed at all with it performance wise.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:02 AM
The Saylors

When you say engages higher, do you mean engages at higher rpms? If thats the case then you could get a different spring set for the clutch changing the tension required for the clutch to activate. I have heard that from a lot of people that the 23cc motors are just pigs. I don't think i have seen anyone really keep that motor for more than a season. I totally get not wanting to replace it with something better since they are VERY expensive but in this situation your options may be limited unless someone knows some amazing trick to squeeze tons of power out of it that i have never heard of before aside from a high end pipe.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:05 AM
Ewadz3006

Originally Posted by The Saylors
When you say engages higher, do you mean engages at higher rpms?
Thats what i mean. It just has no power down low. i was wondering if maybe if the clutch engages higher it would take off quicker. some of the pipes are close to 200$. I dont think id even buy that unless i saw one with the pipe and was really impressed. I'll probly leave it alone, unless I find a used pipe reasonable.

Man if I bought one of these new for the price they want, I cant say how mad i'd be. I got this thing pretty cheap at auction. Even If I woulda even bid as high as I was prepared to go I'd be pretty disappointed. Luckily it went cheap.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:05 AM
cbaker65

Originally Posted by Ewadz3006
Thats what i mean. It just has no power down low. i was wondering if maybe if the clutch engages higher it would take off quicker. some of the pipes are close to 200$. I dont think id even buy that unless i saw one with the pipe and was really impressed. I'll probly leave it alone, unless I find a used pipe reasonable.

Man if I bought one of these new for the price they want, I cant say how mad i'd be. I got this thing pretty cheap at auction. Even If I woulda even bid as high as I was prepared to go I'd be pretty disappointed. Luckily it went cheap.
Your not gonna squeeze that much power out of a 23cc engine ,an I wouldn't purchase anything for it to do so!

My advice is to save your money for a more high performance engine ,because it would cost half of the cost for
a few hop-ups to put in the old one ,that much money can go towards a bigger displacement engine.

I have a 23cc engine an you can only squeeze so much out of them ,I'm happy with mine just like it is!
Old 07-14-2016, 02:59 AM
Ewadz3006

What are some decent engines and how much do they go for?
Old 07-14-2016, 08:12 AM
The Saylors

The Zenoah bb125 from daves discount motors with the FD949c Bartolone 32cc pipe was what i have planned for my losi 5ive-t roller build. Not sure the exact space restrictions that you have in the buggy. Just be warned that set up is $550 so its not cheap at all but its supposed to be one of the best motor/ pipe combos for the money out there.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:22 PM
Ewadz3006

In order to spend that kind of money, I'd have to see one in a video (at least) and be darned impressed. maybe one in real life. More than likely i'd have to see one first person. i dont know. Ive atcually thought of selling this. Its just not anywhere near as impressive as i'd thought itd be.

It is a great conversation piece though. and anyone who has not seen fast "good hobby grade" rc is very impressed by it. Again i let family members drive it. that is half the fun, especially the younger kids. they get so exited.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:55 PM
The Saylors

Ya 1/5th scale is a pricey hobby. I don't advise people get one unless they are ready for a sizable commitment. If you want something stupid fast but easier on the wallet then sell the baja and get a brushless 1/10th short course truck, put it on 3s and have at it. Kids love those trucks and its gunna be capable enough to keep adults happy.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:06 AM
cbaker65

Sense I only have a 23cc engine ,I'm going to do a piston swap to gain more compression.
I'm changing from a single ring piston to a dual ring piston!
I did this with a weed eater a few years ago ,an it made the engine have more compression ,in return ,it gave it
more torq an the throttle response more snappier.

Original single ring piston ,which still looks bran new.

An heres the dual ,which is used an out of a shindaiwa weed eater ,It just needs cleaned up.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:33 PM
Ewadz3006

Let me know if that does anything power wise. A little more torque is exactly what this thing needs.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:24 AM
cbaker65

Originally Posted by Ewadz3006
Let me know if that does anything power wise. A little more torque is exactly what this thing needs.
Yea I should have it back together in a couple of days ,maybe tonight. I'm excited to see how it runs!
The piston cleaned nice!

Old 07-19-2016, 10:04 AM
cbaker65

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Bolt-30-5c...sAAOSwoudW9~7n