Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

It Has Arrived!! Pretty Quick Too. **Some new tear down Pics**

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

It Has Arrived!! Pretty Quick Too. **Some new tear down Pics**

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 04:22 PM
JQuest64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It Has Arrived!! Pretty Quick Too. **Some new tear down Pics**

My FS Racing MT arrived today, pretty sweet.
OversizeRC got it here in 9 days and it is the newest version of the rig.
I was kinda surprised by the amount of aluminum built into the truck and how huge the thing is. It has been a while since I sold off the FG MT, but for some reason this thing looks bigger.
Now the Tear down begins!! New bearings, radio and electronics and MCD rims and tires and a lot of loctite. Hopefully break it in on the weekend.
Some pics for posterity, as it will never look the same.

Some teardown shots after a bearing failure.

Getting to the front diff is pretty easy. Remove the front upper plate, then 7 screws for the front tower and 2 for the lower shock mount and the diff housing is exposed.

5 screws and 2 through bolts hold the diff housing in place. Pull them and the housing comes out. The gears are superb in cut and seem to be real nice quality wise.

The housing is not sealed and the chassis plate acts as the lower half. I actually started to take the rig down because I thought the shock was leaking, it was actually grease slipping under the housing. Time to seal it up on reassembly.

Shock shafts are pretty beefy.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:26 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: It Has Arrived!! Pretty Quick Too.

Looks good. Nice to see that Oversize got their crap together, took me like 45 days to get my on road - but that was quite a while ago.

I like the body on that MT too
Old 05-28-2008, 04:29 PM
JQuest64

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Looks good. Nice to see that Oversize got their crap together, took me like 45 days to get my on road - but that was quite a while ago.
Yeah, I was expecting quite the wait from what I had read about their turn around. Nine days is not too bad though.

I like the body on that MT too
Matches the rims, kinda like a Neon Limon color. Looks better in person. I was wondering if I would get the Black or Red, never thought I would get the new version.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:48 PM
hellya

I paid for the steel gears set (4 gears) for the FS from oversize...says item will ship on the 16th of May ...i'm still waiting and no answers on the emails

Thats a nice rig you got there...i hope you have alot of fun with it[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-28-2008, 05:35 PM
JQuest64

ORIGINAL: hellya

I paid for the steel gears set (4 gears) for the FS from oversize...says item will ship on the 16th of May ...i'm still waiting and no answers on the emails
I should've ordered them as well. I want to get a pipe for it too, but with the way I drive the rear hanger seems like a bad idea for my driving style. I emailed them to see if the buggy pipe fites without having to cut the body, but they had no clue.

Thats a nice rig you got there...i hope you have alot of fun with it[sm=thumbup.gif]
Thanks, I should have a good time with it as long as it prove to be reliable. With the new electronics and bearings I hope it is.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:22 PM
aluminum crusher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why tear it down IMO just lock tite everything and run it stock to see how well it hold up in stock form....then what ever you break or bust up, post back to let us know, it's just a suggggggestion.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:08 PM
JQuest64

From my researching before buying an FS I heard many state the diffs needed better greasing and that the bearings were not so hot. To correct those issues you pretty much have to take the rig all the way down. I also want to ditch the radio gear.
I pretty much take down any prebuilt RC I have ever bought regardless of who the manufacturer is. I have caught many stripped screws and oversights while the factory is putting them together.
Nothing worse than taking out a new ride only to have it break down by something that was avoidable.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:11 PM
aluminum crusher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JQuest64

From my researching before buying an FS I heard many state the diffs needed better greasing and that the bearings were not so hot. To correct those issues you pretty much have to take the rig all the way down. I also want to ditch the radio gear.
I pretty much take down any prebuilt RC I have ever bought regardless of who the manufacturer is. I have caught many stripped screws and oversights while the factory is putting them together.
Nothing worse than taking out a new ride only to have it break down by something that was avoidable.
Amen to that, I do know what ya mean...do yo thing.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Apache-

ORIGINAL: JQuest64
Spot on!

Nice car m8, lookin sharp.
Enjoy the rebuild and I will follow the thread how you get on and what you think about it.
It will be nice to read as you had the FG MT before so you maybe can make some comparison on it on how it drives but also on quality and how it holds up.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:40 PM
JQuest64

Enjoy the rebuild and I will follow the thread how you get on and what you think about it.
It will be nice to read as you had the FG MT before so you maybe can make some comparison on it on how it drives but also on quality and how it holds up.
Well, I did most of the rebuild last night and today. New electronics have not yet arrived so I will start the break in without them tonight.
They actually used loctite. It seems as if it is pre applied and dried then tightened into place, kinda like FG grub screws that come pre-loctited.
Over all the tear down went nice. There are some areas like the receiver/battery housing screws that are pretty tough to get to, and the fuel tank looks a bit tough to fill.
I am actually impressed with the hardware they used, most are hex head cap/socket screws. The gear mesh was a bit loose for my liking and the front steering seems a bit loose. Also the toe was out of whack in the rear.
Shocks were pretty full, but dumped and refilled anyway. I went 50 front, 60 rear which is what I had my FG MT at and seemed good for my style, will see how it is for this truck. I will say this, the shock shafts are ridiculously thick, hopefully they are a good metal.
The instructions are pretty much useless as they give no real info on what exactly is in the truck from the factory, nor do they give any real carb info. It is good for comedic effect however, the translation to English is some of the worst I have ever seen.

Overall though I will say I was pretty impressed with the factory work, no worse than most out there and actually a lot better than some.

Ready to fire her up as soon as the battery pack is charge, hope all goes well
Old 05-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Apache-

Nice to see you progressed a lot.
How was the dif you mentioned before about, lubricated well or poor like you predicted?
Also does the dif comes with a metal tube reinforcement or is this a hop-up that is immediately needed like on the FG MT?

The filling of the tank can't be so difficult, how can it be?
I always use a filling bottle like used in nitro, it makes filling a tank alsways easy and gives not a mesh of petrol on the car.
With the small tube it has it can reach into each tank.

concerning the gears and gear mesh I would like to ask.
Are the gears all steel?
When the mesh is not perfect I think any steel gear would even withstand that.
With plastic a correct mesh is needed otherwise it strips for sure.
How is the engine bolted to the chassis, straigth on or when with engine mounts are they alloy so the mesh remains okay?
Old 05-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Dave ESPI

What ! , no pix of the break down process ?

boooooooooo []
Old 05-29-2008, 07:25 PM
JQuest64

ORIGINAL: Apache-

Nice to see you progressed a lot.
How was the dif you mentioned before about, lubricated well or poor like you predicted?
Also does the dif comes with a metal tube reinforcement or is this a hop-up that is immediately needed like on the FG MT?
TBQH, I did not notice what the housing was made out of. Certainly very rigid. Well greased as well, packed actually. I do not believe any upgrade is available.

The filling of the tank can't be so difficult, how can it be?
I always use a filling bottle like used in nitro, it makes filling a tank alsways easy and gives not a mesh of petrol on the car.
With the small tube it has it can reach into each tank.
Yeah, that is exactly what I used. With the FG however I used a can to fill it. Not that big a deal really, just hard to get down by the tank to clean it up.

concerning the gears and gear mesh I would like to ask.
Are the gears all steel?
With plastic a correct mesh is needed otherwise it strips for sure.
How is the engine bolted to the chassis, straigth on or when with engine mounts are they alloy so the mesh remains okay?
The gears are all plastic, but the engine is seated on alloy mounts. After I re-assembled it the mesh was very nice. Perhaps something was not tightened all that well, perhaps I was being over critical from the start? Seems great right now.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:47 PM
JQuest64

Well, ran some break in/tuning time. First thing I have to say is, 4WD flat out rocks.
Seriously.
I let it idle/easy run for about the first 15 minutes and let it cool down. Refilled the tank and gave it a once over.
Fired it up for a second time and in two pulls she lit up. Tweaked the idle and low speed a bit and for having no pipe the thing gets up. I did notice that I cannot get a full throw on the throttle with the stock radio gear. I will remedy that tomorrow when my items get here from Tower.

The truck handles extremely well and TBQH, runs over things I would not have attempted with my FG. 4WD makes a world of difference in these rigs, don't buy into that "2WD is more than enough for these scales".
It may be, until you run one with 4WD. My far back yard is well over grown and I drove into it by accident. Being the lazy one that I am I did not want to walk to retrieve it, so I drove through it. I could not see the truck, but I could see it clearing a path no problem.
Other things in my yard that meant a walk over to get the FG out of trouble, were tackled quite easy with the FS.
The FS definitely made a great first impression on me.

The suspension seems very plush and absorbs the bumps quite nicely. It also stays glued to the ground pretty well. In about an hour and a half of running, I didn't lid it once. Which is a good thing as I ran without the body on. Granted I did not go hog wild, but I was pushing it quite a bit in some corners to see how capable the rig is. Powers very nicely out of the corners and really tears up the place. Handling is a definite non issue.

The brakes worked extremely well also. Perhaps because they are new, but even with the stock servo, locking up the tires was done with ease.

Overall first impressions are outstanding, if the harder runs go as well as today did this truck is the steal of a lifetime, even in stock form.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:52 PM
JQuest64

ORIGINAL: Dave ESPI

What ! , no pix of the break down process ?

boooooooooo []
I know, I know. I seriously thought about it, but did not want to slow down. Wanted to run it today, in hind sight though pics would have been nice just for knowledge sake. I promise to take pics during the next tear down
Old 05-29-2008, 08:00 PM
hellya

Yep the steel gears can handle play in the mesh...look at the play in my T-bolts gear mesh....but no wear on the gears
Old 05-31-2008, 03:26 PM
JQuest64

Some new additions, some can be seen, others cannot. Rims and tires are obvious, rx/tx is not. Futaba 3PM 2.4 w/fasst was installed and adjusted.

Some of the new equipment like the radion and such came in. No steering servo yet though[:'(]

Unfortunately I will be seeing downtime due to my own laziness. I did not replace the wheel bearings at the tear down as I figured I would do it when the MCD wheels arrived. Of course one let loose and and part of it fused itelf to the steering knuckle. I can't get it out for the life of me, so the wait for parts begins already[&o]

Live and learn, right?
Old 06-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Blownss
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: It Has Arrived!! Pretty Quick Too. **Some new tear down Pics**

Do you have pics of the inside of the wheels??
Old 06-29-2008, 04:22 PM
JQuest64

ORIGINAL: Blownss

Do you have pics of the inside of the wheels??
Could you clarify what you mean?
Old 06-30-2008, 02:27 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he either wants to see if the additional webbing and hub strengthening has now been implemented, and/or if it has FG size wheel squares. Just guessing though.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:46 AM
fsracer

I gave these guys a go, 3 day delivery although i am in the same country as they are, also got the special edition from them with a pipe and chrome color rims fited out of the box, www.fsracing.com.au , they seem to be the official FS people , just orderd the steal gears from oversize as i read here or on another post that a few buyers got theirs relatively quickly,(didnt see them on Fsracing.com) , i will post more of a review after next bash, have only done 40 minutes so far, ran like a dream, and super impressed with the cost of rc these days,
Old 07-12-2008, 11:15 AM
tizdaz

looks good although i read your comments about the 4wd vs 2wd comments & i have to disagree, some people actually prefer 2wd, more fun/challenging than point & go 4wd.... the difference between 2wd & 4wd (apart from the obvious!) is 4wd's are much easier to drive & easy to master. Whereas 2wd is much more difficult to learn but when you get the hang of it its much more fun/rewarding, as yet ive never had any probs going places with my 2WD. The only time i would consider buying into 4WD is for competitive racing & it would be a pimped up buggy not a monster \o/

like i say, everyone has there own preferance when it comes to 2wd & 4wd, one is not better than the other, its down to personal style & driving
Old 07-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Smartechracing

I like 4WD because I am not a good driver[sm=red_smile.gif]