Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New to the 1/5 scale RC world

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:53 AM
slawhammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to the 1/5 scale RC world

Mbe301: How do you like those tires? I have not had a chance to try them yet..
Ok my friend as you requested more pictures...Nothing fancy..Thanks for your reply..
All replies welcome..AKASlawhammer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19021.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1036094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76042.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	1036095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15791.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1036096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11311.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1036097  
Old 09-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Lars from Norway

Looks nice,very nice!When you adjust the wheels,make sure you have a little toe out instead of toe in on the frontwheels to get a more aggressive response on the steering.And a bit toe in at the back
Old 09-19-2008, 01:01 PM
slawhammer

Lars: Thanks for the input..I know you had to adjust toe plus camber..But was not sure how much..I figured I would set
every thing striaght and go from there..Didn't want the wheels to fight each other..like plowing effect...
Old 09-19-2008, 06:05 PM
davido666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now thats a pretty truck, now go out and get it dirty. I want to take mine out on the weekend for a good time bashing. I hope this weather holds.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:14 AM
slawhammer

DAVID0666:Well my friend are you inspired to do some thing to your firehammer now? I am not saying you haven't
all ready..What I have done.. Needed to be done to make it better with the up grades..So with making the weak points
stronger..there should be a great chance of having more fun running the firehammer and not fixing it after every run..
I am leaving the A-Arms plastic for a weak point..So will not damage the chassie or front end..I will up grade the shock towers
to alloy ..otherwise the rest plastic...Hey David 0.. You could save enough and get a 27 CC Zenaoh engine ..What are they 250 Bux?
That is what I would do my self..Keep in touch..Thanks for your reply...........
OH Yeah not much going to happen today Miss's wants too go to the local fair here today..Semi-Truck Pull..BIG BOYS..
so that will be nice to see for a change....All Replies Welcome..AKASlawhammer
Old 09-20-2008, 06:26 PM
slawhammer

OK....Good News..I had the firehammer out for a test run for about 10 minutes..Going about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle to get the
gears all meshed together..Couple minor carb adjustments...Seems to have some white smoke on quick throttle snap or
acceleration..Not sure but think I mixed 25:1 on the oil/gas..good synth motorcycle oil..I will mix next tank at 40:1
See how it goes..I could be a little rich for the carb settings...Worse comes too worse I can rebuild the engine...Only thing
I have not done...So all in all every thing seemed real good..I have to not inspect and see if any loose bolts on engine mount
The Tranny brace looks great where I made the post and used a locking nut on the large engine mount....
I am satified at this point...I will give it a full tank of fuel run in the morning....So all my work has payed off for me now..He Haw
that's what I am talking about..Going to run the heck out of it..All replies welcome..AKASlawhammer
Old 09-20-2008, 08:33 PM
davido666

ORIGINAL: slawhammer

OK....Good News..I had the firehammer out for a test run for about 10 minutes..Going about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle to get the
gears all meshed together..Couple minor carb adjustments...Seems to have some white smoke on quick throttle snap or
acceleration..Not sure but think I mixed 25:1 on the oil/gas..good synth motorcycle oil..I will mix next tank at 40:1
See how it goes..I could be a little rich for the carb settings...Worse comes too worse I can rebuild the engine...Only thing
I have not done...So all in all every thing seemed real good..I have to not inspect and see if any loose bolts on engine mount
The Tranny brace looks great where I made the post and used a locking nut on the large engine mount....
I am satified at this point...I will give it a full tank of fuel run in the morning....So all my work has payed off for me now..He Haw
that's what I am talking about..Going to run the heck out of it..All replies welcome..AKASlawhammer
40:1 sounds a little to shy of oil. You might want to go 30:1 first. I run 25:1 because to much oil is better then not enought. Go to here the truck is running good. I took out my nitro today and I am hoping to take out the 1/5 tomorrow.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:05 AM
slawhammer

Davido666:Hi My friend..Well for peace of mind I went to dutrtrax site and checked out the recommended
Oil/Gas mix...New engine is 25:1 after break in 40:1 Mfg.recommends to do this ..3 year warrenty on engine..
I was wondering that my self for the mix...Sp I just wanted to double check....Good to hear you got out also..
Yeah I am real happy with the shake down test run...I will know more after this next run with full tank of fuel...
Thanks for your reply..Keep in touch..All replies welcome..AKASlawhammer
Old 09-21-2008, 08:22 AM
davido666

I am glad you told me that. I will mix my next fuel to the new mixture.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:00 AM
slawhammer

David0666:..Hey my friend..I am retired and when I have to take meds..I do not work on my hobby or any thing else
I would not be in the right mood for thinking..I spend that time watching DVD'S or on the iner net researching RC stuff
..I will be getting the firehammer out for a run a little later..Have to help son with his nitro..He rebuilt the engine..It's a
hard to get started..From factory settings ..and keep making adjustments..I can get it going..But he needs to learn to do
this on his own..And not depend on me to do it for him..I will help..But better for him to learn this and understand how it works
air/fuel mixture....Good to hear fro ya..let me know how your run goes today...Thanks for the reply..All replies welcome...
AKASlawhammer
Old 09-21-2008, 12:13 PM
slawhammer

All right.... All seems real good after the inspection for any loose bolts & nuts..Here's a little tip For ya that I do
I lock-tite all the screws and bolts..Tighten down real tight..Now I apply clear finger nail polish over the heads..
If the screws break loose it will leave a white trace from the polish cracking..That tells me to keep a eye on those
screws or bolts & nuts... The great news is I only found 2 bolts loosen slightly..on the exhaust flange and cylinder..
So I retighten those bolts again..So If loosen this next time..They will be safety wired ..to hold them tight...
I am real pleased with the 10 minute shake down run yesterday ..I am going to try and get out some time today
for a full tank of fuel...That will be a good shake down for the firehammer...All replies welcome..AKASlawhammer
Old 09-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Lars from Norway

Glad to hear thing are working out well!Nice little tip you got there with the nail polish
Old 09-21-2008, 03:29 PM
slawhammer

Lars: You like that little tip there...I tell ya it works good..I have done that on other models in RC stuff..
Ok now another good test run....Those tires grab right now..I can do wheelies on demand easy...I only
got too run about 15 minutes though...Miss's had to get back for appointment she some how forgot too
mention ..or I may not have heard her say any thing about it..Well my son ran his nitro for about 1/2 to 3/4 tank
broke a lower control arm and shock..Seems like some thing jumped out in his way....Yeah you know
objects always do that unexpected...I am very well pleased today also with this run..I have to spot check
some of the screws and bolts again...So in the morning I can run the firehammer...Will not be any body home
except for myself...I can go run for an hour...All replies welcome AKASlawhammer
Old 09-21-2008, 07:01 PM
keung
Banned

Old 09-22-2008, 06:07 AM
slawhammer

Keung: ya yeah me no speak or write english............Just smily face[X(]
All replies welcome AKASkawhammer
Old 09-22-2008, 07:42 AM
slawhammer

Oh Yeah I for got too mention yesterday..When done playing with the RC Trucks my son was helping loading
the Rc Trucks ib too the big pick up truck on the tail gate..well he dropped my firehammer..yup right on the
exhaust stinger[&o]..bent the pipe in to the roll cage support..I will have to E-mail DDM to see if there is a warrenty
on the pipe..I am not looking for a freebie pipe from this..I don't work things out that way..Things happen..
I was not even mad or up set about it..I could have done this same thing my self..Cuz I have a weight restriction
limit of 10 lbs.. from the doctor..Now you know these big 1/5 scale are more than 10 lbs..More like 20lbs..
I will keep ya posted to what goes on here....All replies welcome..AKASlawhammer
Old 09-22-2008, 11:26 AM
slawhammer

Ok as to update ..I inspected the firehammer again for any loose bolts and screws...I once again found 2...Yup same 2 on the exhaust
the rest are tight..So now will be the time to get those bolts safety wired up and the will solve that problem ..I have to now check in to a new
exhaust pipe..Old one still might work ..but may have a restriction at the bend were it got smashed in.....So waiting to hear back from DDM on this...I have a couple
of more up grades I want to get done also..rear upper alloy arms..parts should be here in todays mail..All replies welcome..AKASlawhammer

Ok... I got it worked out with DDM and a new torque pipe is on it's way....
Old 09-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Apache-

Saw the post of lars, he is absolutely right with his comment on the pics you uploaded.

Add toe in on the rear it will add straigth line stability and control when accelerating out of a corner.
Slightly toe out on the front helps you a lot as well to get rid of any agressive reaction on small steering impulses; by this the car is more easy to control.
In front 0.5~1 degree out does the job.
On the rear start at some 3~4 degrees toe in. Your car should be after this like a day/night differance more easy to handle.
Fool around with it and you'll be pleasantly suprised about he improvement on handeling and control over he car.
I think it is now kind of nightmare to keep the rear-end under control.
good luck m8
Old 09-22-2008, 03:35 PM
slawhammer

Apache:Yes I will be making some changes with the toe for better control..Thanks too both Lars and you for the great advice on this..
I think now I have the drive train all solid and no movement..That was my main concern at the moment..Now on to the over all control..
I need to add rear cable brakes..FG8452 I think..That lay shaft brake set up in not that good..let's just say it slows down is all.....
Come winter time I can then add the front brakes..Just income to work with is very limited....stripping 2 transfer gears and 2 lay shafts
are a bit much for me also...You could say I am on a shoe string budget..And I broke the string..LOL..Many thanks to you guys in the forum
You guys are what make this hobby great for some of us new guys in to 1/5 scale with your knowlodge and tricks..Many thanks to you all
for helping this old man have fun as a young kid again...All replies welcome..AKASlawhammer
Old 09-23-2008, 06:53 AM
slawhammer

Ok ..This is my thread and I can get off/topic a little here..Last night my son was asking about 1/5 scale gassers
He told me he was looking at many different RC Units..Now knowing how he plays with is other nitro stuff...
He is in to all speed..maybe a jump here and there,,So I suggested the baja ss kit for him to build...He told me he
spent over 2 hours reading about the baja....Now as to my firehammer I want to get some real brakes on there..
The more I think about it ..I think I should go rear brakes ..then later front...The mods I have done really help..
the rear end and drive train are solid now...Weak point will be the diff internal gears ..I am sure....Any suggestions?
All replies welcome..AKASlawhammer[8D]

Old 09-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Lars from Norway

Youve got a quite bulletproof drivetrain now,the only weak link i can think of is the little shaft inside the diff,but this cant be done anything with except from changing it if it bends(which is very rarely).The diffgears will be fine as long as the are correctly shimmed and not get prematurely worn out.
I think if you put disc brakes in the front,and leave the stock at the back(or upgrade them a bit),it would be good enough.Remember that a car stops faster with rolling wheels-braking than locked wheels-braking
The Baja SS is a good recommendation!I want one badly,but i cant buy more cars now
Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 AM
slawhammer

Lars:..Yup that's what I figured on the rear end..was internal diff parts would be weak..But that is better than ripping up
transfer gears and lay shafts...I know about rolling resistance for braking..I thought about what you said.. And I can power
slide the rear end for cornering..and power out of curves..Only thing for the rear as too brakes is the lay shaft that is orig yet..I can
take that system out of there..what ya think?Any suggestions on this?All replies welcome..AKASlawhammer
Old 09-23-2008, 11:22 AM
slawhammer

Well after much thought on the brakes..I ordered a set of front brakes..Any thing else for any up grades can wait
till winter time...With every thing being done to the firehammer it is time to get it out and run the heck out of it..
It's been a long 2 months of rebuilding and short test runs and every time out ..things break and have to repair...
Thanks to all who have been helping me on the firehammer project..I will keep ya posted on the new brakes system
and how the firehammer runs..So hopefully I will be able to get a couple of vids taken..Ya you been waiting for those..
Old 09-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Lars from Norway

Hey how putty,awaaaayyyy!In comes the braaakes!Would have benn nice to see some vids of it running soon
Old 09-23-2008, 12:21 PM
slawhammer

Lars: I guess I could run the firehammer right now the way it is..And try for a couple vids and do the front brake at a later time..
Knowing it will take some time to get that putty off there with out any damage to the steering knuckles...
How do you post a video any way? I got all i can do to post pictures..Well never to early to learn as they say...That is new too me..
Thanks for your reply..All replies welcome..AKASlawhammer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.