Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Complete Newbie that needs help...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Complete Newbie that needs help...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:14 PM
GenkiDesu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete Newbie that needs help...

Just so you understand my foundation andknowledgelevel of RC helis....I know nothing.

So, I got a 4g6 heli with a KW-2602controllerso I could start learning with a collective pitch heli...

First, Ididn'tdo the right thing and adjust the settings. I tried to hover, but failed.
It did get into the air, mostly going straight up....butI knew and expected a crash and so it happened.
I crashed and broke the rotor blades....
I replaced them and inspected the heli, all parts seems to be intact... itwasn'taveryforceful crash.

Next try....

This time I read and watched some videos and learned I was suppose to adjust the settings to zero-in or balance the heli properly before trying to hover(Rudder, Aileron, and Elevator)....
Now when I increase thethrottle to about full throttle, just before the collect pitch starts to work, the rotor blades seem to lean to the right...as if I am making a Aileron to the right.
On every hover atempt, just to get off the ground, the heli leans right and falls over.
Ive tried adjusting the Aileron and the Rudder but it doesnt stop it from falling to its side.

Ive tried changing the CCPM(servo) settings... P, PAE, and EPA... not sure what they really mean...or which is best?
On P, it does NOT fall over to the right but it also does not leave the ground when I max out on the Throttle control... it just revs.

Things I looked at:
Swashplate looks to be in good order.
Balancing of therootslooks good when I first connect the controller to the heli. (looks straight)
It only tilts to the right when I increase the throttle just as the collective pitch starts changing.
Gears in the tail and rotor looks good.

I could have the wk-2602 settings all messed up....?
How and what should be standard settings for the gyros?

Main issue is the tilting to the right just before lifting off the ground.
The rotors also shift to the right when the collective pitch starts.

Help :-)
I just want to start a small hover and work fromtheir.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:26 PM
JB-Heli

Default RE: Complete Newbie that needs help...

Hi Genki, wttb. Everyone started where you are so don't fret, its all about knowledge and practice, practice, practice...

It does sound like you have some setup issues and without the ability to see what you have explained I'd ask first if there is a club or anyone around (hobby shops can help find someone for you) that can physically look at it for you?If you are completely on your own, check out youtube and other websites as there are many good tutorials on-line that can help (like the one below). Do a search on helicopter setup, learning to hover, etc.

www.youtube.com/watch
www.dream-models.com/eco/index.html

As a general rule with a standard setup, at low throttle your pitch should be about -2 degrees (check with a pitch guage), it should lift off and hover about 1/2 throttle and rise at full throttle. If you are at full head speed at mid throttle then you probably do not have enough pitch but again, it is hard to tell without seeing it.

Also, are you using a set of training gear?They can help when you are very close to the ground and keep your heli blades safe during minor altercations. I'm not sure about the leaning, if the setup is off it can lean but also if you try to barely lift off sometimes it may lean for one reason or another. A helicopter will naturally lean during a hover but it should not cause difficulty during liftoff. If it shoots to the right during and right after lift off then it is definatley a setup issue.

Keep after it and you will be hovering before you know it!

Here is an awsome vid of the 4G6, impressive!
www.youtube.com/watch

Old 01-17-2010, 10:11 PM
GenkiDesu

Here are a few pictures I took while powering the heli and taped down to the table.

First image is a pic with the heli with about 33% throttle and max right Aileron....aka right turn.
Second image is heli with 33% throttle and mac left Aileron...aka left turn.
Third pic is the heli max Elevator foward.... moving foward.
Fourth pic is the heli max Elevator reversed....aka reverse.
Fifth pic is the heli with 50% throttle, everything else is centered.
Sixth pic is max throttle....everything esle is centered... noticed how far the rotors are leaning to the right side of the heli? (left side when looking at the pic).

When I got to hover, it flips over in that direction.
Before my minor crash, broke one fo the foam rotors at the base connecting to the heli, it didnt do this.

PS: all picturew were taken looking at the front of the heli.

Any advice?
I am assuming settings since I dont see any visible damage to the rotors/gears... but I am a newbie... I dont know anything. :-)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58485.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1358606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12210.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1358607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44896.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1358608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36161.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1358609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr93749.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1358610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp94154.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1358611  
Old 01-17-2010, 10:47 PM
tdmoss61

if your crash broke the blades, especially right at the grip, then your spindle (the small metal piece that goes through the top of the headblock and connects the two blade grips together) and the main shaft ( the metal shaft that runs through the head assembly down to the gears) are more than likely bent. most crashes, even minor ones can bend both easily. i would buy a few spindles and main shafts to keep on hand just in case, as these are basic crash parts. take the blades off and use a 1.5mm hex driver and turn the hex screw inside the grip. if you see the grips wobble any, then your spindle is bent. also grab the main gear and spin it slowly with your hand. watch the head assembly, look for a wobble. if so, then the main shaft is bent also. i would definetly check these first, and then proceed with the setup.............td

trex 450, 500, 600, srb quark............you only live once!!!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:09 PM
GenkiDesu

One thing I didnt know and I didnt take a picture of is, when the rotor blades start to spin, they are parallel to the ground.
It is onyl when I increase the throttle to about 33% do they start to lean to the right.

When i first power the heli on, it looks mostly even...aka rotor blades are parallel to the ground.

I will try what you said.. I didnt know it was that delicate..
Thank you.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:21 PM
bad400

could be a bad servo.
or you have messed with the radio`s mixing some how.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:12 AM
GenkiDesu

I did mess with the remotecontrolsettings too... but Im starting tobelievethat its mechanical...

I taped down the heli and turned it on.
I set the throttle to the lowest it can be, and see a 'wobble' in the main rotor shaft...
Im going to buy and replace the rotor head, shaft, and rotor blade holders and see what happens.

Thank you for the advice and help!
Much apprcialted!

Old 01-18-2010, 12:56 AM
GenkiDesu

bad400,
If I messed with the remote settings, how can I find out how to reset the remote?
WK-2602.

I didnt see standard settings in the manual...
Old 01-18-2010, 01:20 AM
bad400

i really dont know much about walkera any more sorry.
you might see if walkera`s site as a downloadable pdf. the last one i had was the #52, that was so long ago i would`nt know where to start.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:09 AM
GenkiDesu

Will do, thanks!
:-)

Found this, wk-2601 settings...which might also be the settings on the wk-2602...

Swahmix
Ele 80%
Alae 80%
Pit -71% (minus)

Another post had this but with no % settings:

Stick Mod 2
. E
P A
ELEV - NOR
AILE - NOR
THRO - NOR (ive tried both)
RUDD - NOR
GEAR - NOR
PIT -REV
AUX - OFF
BUZZ -ON
PLT PIT - OFF
RUDMIX - NOR
RUDMIX GYRO - OFF
and obvisouly 6CH

Gyros.... 70% normal flight and 20% for stunt flight.

This is also in the manual...but its settings for the wk2601 remote control.

Anyone else have any settings they might know of for a wk-2602.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:23 PM
bad400

off the top of my head, try this.
unhook the motor, run the throttle up and see if all the servo`s are going in the same direction.
in the pic`s it look`s like the pitch servo is going down when the alerion servo is going up. or one servo isnt working at all.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:47 PM
GenkiDesu

UPDATE:

I set the remote control to the settings ABOVE and it removed the strong rotor blade tilt to the right side.
I think it was the -71% pit setting... I changed it to REV and then set it to 71%.

Now my issue is that it seems the rudder, rear props, arent strong enough because the heli spins when I throttle it up.

How can I adjust to stop the heli from spinning when I throttle it up?
Besides moving the sticks and fine turning slider on the remote...
Nose to the left and tail goes right....

PS: I got to hover about and inch off the ground for a sec or 2, but the heli spins faster as the throttle increases.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:47 PM
GenkiDesu

That actually worked...
I think(?) when I changed the pitch it adjusted the rotor right sideleaningwhen I increased throttle..
If I am not mistaken, when the throttle is at 100%, on a collective pitch heli, the pitch started to change to give it lift....

So, when I changed the Pitch to REV and 71%, Ibelieveitcorrectedthe rotor blade right side leaning.... I dont understand it, but I think it fixed my issue.

So the changes I did on the control was:
Ele 80%
Alea 80%
Pit -71% (NORM to REV and then 71%)
Gyros to 70 or 80%

BUT now I have a new issue.
When I do increase the throttle for a hover. the heli spins now....
Is there something else I can change in the settings to counter the strong rotational issue with the rotors and the heli?
The fine tune adjustments isnt enough on the wk-2602....since more throttle more powerful the spin is...right to left in respect to the front of the heli.

I understand the physics of helis...but I dont understand thecontrollerthat well...

Should I change the PLTsensitivitytoo?
Pitch Servo Travel Adjustment)

Or RudderSensitivity?

Thanksallot...!

PS: I actually got it to hover for a few seconds but the spinning caused me to loss control.