Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

JR Venture 30 - Help me put together the "Perfect Trainer"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

JR Venture 30 - Help me put together the "Perfect Trainer"

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 08:03 PM
shawnkappner
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR Venture 30 - Help me put together the "Perfect Trainer"

I am completely heli-dum! Ive been flying fixed wings for 17 years and would like help in getting started. I have read articles and read some things here on line and have decided on the JR Venture 30 as my first helicopter with an OS .32SX engine. I would like to know what else I neeed for "The Perfect" trainer. Cheif Aircraft sells the combo for $399. They also have a KSJ muffler for and additional $75. Is this a really good muffler to substitute for the one that comes with the OS.32SX? I would love to here what JR gyros, JR servos, and other items folks would get if they were putting together their JR Venture. As far as price, I don't want to say it is not an issue but I would like to stay reasonable (about $800 - $900 for everything except for the transmitter/receiver). I do plan on getting the crash kit because even though you may help me put together the perfect trainer, the operator just may have a less than perfect moment:-)

Thank You!!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2002, 09:43 PM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

Here's my Venture setup:
JR Venture
JR 537 all around except tail
Futaba 401gyro w/ Futaba 9253 servo for tail
CN3033 muffler from Heliworld
Helimax 30 size blade holder
Note: change the fuel line inside the fuel tank
add nut on top of ball link for tail
Thats what I used and is working great after 40 flights. Daz...
Old 07-29-2002, 10:25 PM
SINYFLY

Default Me too

If you go to heliproz.com they have a Venture (or Raptor) complete package for $679 and the shipping is included + no sales tax!!

Tempting...I might get one

SINYFLY
Old 07-30-2002, 09:11 AM
planelazy

Hi Shawn.My advice is to go with a stock set up with standard servos and the stock muffler which is fine to learn on.You can always upgrade if you decide you like it.I would go with a standard gyro ,not heading hold so you can learn to fly the tail in the beginning. Tim. ,aka helinut.I have a few scale helis. Not good to learn on but thought you might want to trade for thr Extra.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:51 AM
Phoenix-IT

Sorry Planelazy, I have to disagree with you on the HH gyro.

Shawn first you need the OS 32SXH... the H is important, you shouldn't use an airplane engine in this even if you can make it work with muffler adapters, etc.

You also do want a heading hold gyro. It will make learning to hover much easier and will force you to learn to steer the tail through turns instead of just letting it weather-vane. After you learn to steer the tail you will have automatically learned to correct tail position in a hover without the gyro in heading hold. I learned this way and can fly no brainer in and out of heading hold.

The Futaba GY401 & 9253 mentioned is the best bang for the buck... about $200 mail order and around $250 LHS.

A Century Speed Torpedo is a great muffler for the price... around $35.

I wouldn't go expensive on the cyclic servos.... I used Hitec HS425-BBs at about $15 each and it flies great. Nothing too expensive but do make sure you get DUAL ball bearing servos. Also, make sure your throttle servo is at least as fast, or preferably faster than, your cyclic servos... and the cyclics should all be the the same speed.

Phoenix
Old 07-30-2002, 11:53 AM
Phoenix-IT

Sorry Shawn, I forgot...

You will need to buy a muffler because the neither the SX-H engine or Venture CP kit come with a muffler...... that's why i mentioned the Century Torpedo...

Phoenix
Old 07-30-2002, 01:55 PM
flmgrip
My Feedback: (2)

i just flew a venture with an os 30 and i had the feeling it was slightly underpowered, you might want to go to a 50 size engine or go with a lighter 30.
Old 07-30-2002, 03:35 PM
Fissy

Shawn,

Unfortunately, I agree w/ flmgrip. Mine is the Venture that he is referring to. Granted, the training gear I have is very heavy but the Venture is known to be slightly underpowered with the OS32 anyway. My guess is that it will be fine once I get the gear off but I'm always in favor of more power. In the case of blade, paddle, boom, support, etc. upgrades, which you may want to hold off on while learning because of the crash possibility, engines don't normally get destroyed in a crash so starting out with a 50 might be a good idea. I'm just a newbie but that's the feeling I get.
I'm assuming you already have a radio ? In case you don't or would like to upgrade, the Venture manual gives radio setup examples using several JR model radios. Might make it easier, although in your case I'm sure you're quite capable of translating to other radio menus.
Other than that, the manual is EXCELLENT ! I actually assembled mine correctly in almost every way w/o any prior model experience.
Good Luck !
Old 07-30-2002, 04:25 PM
shawnkappner
My Feedback: (40)

Default You are awsome

Thanks to all that responded so quickly. A ton of good info.

Just a few more questions if I dare ...

I have a JR X-347 radio. It is old but faithful. I have only flown aircraft on it but the manual says it can fly helis as well. Any problems with using that radio?? I guess I don't really now what the main differences are between a heli and aircraft radios.

Servo question. Standard servos like the JR 517 are sooo slow with 60 degree transit times of about .24 seconds? Would it be a good choice to go with something a little crisper even on a trainer.

Gyro/Gyro servo question. Does the gyro work the tail servo only? Is this why folks have a faster servo on the tail?

Thanks Again

Shawn
Old 07-30-2002, 04:37 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Default Re: You are awsome

Originally posted by shawnkappner
Thanks to all that responded so quickly. A ton of good info.

Just a few more questions if I dare ...

I have a JR X-347 radio. It is old but faithful. I have only flown aircraft on it but the manual says it can fly helis as well. Any problems with using that radio?? I guess I don't really now what the main differences are between a heli and aircraft radios.

Servo question. Standard servos like the JR 517 are sooo slow with 60 degree transit times of about .24 seconds? Would it be a good choice to go with something a little crisper even on a trainer.

Gyro/Gyro servo question. Does the gyro work the tail servo only? Is this why folks have a faster servo on the tail?

Thanks Again

Shawn
I used the 347 for years it work no problem. The main difference is the thro hold,pitch and thro pitch curves. If you using a HH gyro you don't need to worry about the revo mix. If you can go for the new digitals 811 their about 47.00 each you only need 4 or go for the Futaba 3001 std servo. The gyro works the tail servo only.
Oh BTW the X-347 does not work with CCPM.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:23 PM
Phoenix-IT

I don't know anything about JR radios but.... If the 347 is an older model make sure it can do 120 degree CCPM mixing or you won't be able to use it.

Phoenix
Old 07-30-2002, 06:00 PM
jimm
My Feedback: (1)

The X-347 will work but needs to be sent in to Horizon to have the CCPM activated. This is according to the service guys at Horizon.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:32 PM
rotordoc

Default Perfect trainer heli

Considering the relatively heavy weight of the Venture 30 you might want to consider something lighter so that you can save money and have a power to weight ratio that can easily take you all the way into 3D if you want. And if you want an ARF and the OS32SXH (great engine), then you may want to consider the HAWK IV ARF that comes with the OS32SXH engine already installed with the Century Torpedo muffler for only $340.00.

This is a great trainer that comes in ready to fly at about a full pound lighter then the Venture, so you can save yourself the money of the 50 engine and use that for the better gyro/servo combination. Just the money saved could be used for a lot of other beneficial equipment.

The Venture with OS and muffler will run about $450.00. That $110.00 difference can go a long way towards the purchase of a really good gyro/servo combination that can also take you all the way, like the 401/9253.

Yes, your X-347 will be fin for training and well into FFF and aerobatics.

More food for thought.
Old 07-31-2002, 05:32 PM
Phoenix-IT

Default Additional Alternatives:

You might also try a Hirobo Shuttle Plus.... with a price of $200. I'm picking up one this week to put my OS32 in and will then upgrade my Venture to a 50. The Shuttle is a tried and tested design (not implying that the Hawk isn't) and has been around for years. If your LHS deals in helicopters at all, it will most likely carry Shuttle parts. It does have bushings instead of bearings in some places, but from a beginners position the thing will probably crash long before worn bushings become an issue.

If your just starting, I would recommend staying as cheap as possible. When you crash (providing the radio gear & engine survive [which usually do]) the most $$ it will ever cost you to repair is the price of the kit $200.

I'm told the Shuttle is also VERY responsive with a .32 size engine and that a .36 actually has too much power.

The greatest thing about helicopters today is that we all have so many VIABLE options to choose from...... the days of there only being 1 or 2 decent kits in production are long gone.

Phoenix
Old 08-02-2002, 04:14 PM
Fissy

After posting my own reply earlier and then reading others, I was wondering...

What is the largest OS engine that will fit in the Venture CP w/o major modifications ?

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2002, 05:56 PM
Phoenix-IT

As far as I know the OS 50 will fit with the Ergo 46 mount, which will fit the Venture. But you need a longer tail boom and blades (Also Ergo 46)... even then you have to tone down the throttle curve (no 100%) or you'll overspeed the head. I think Andy @ Aerohobbies told me the fastest he felt was safe for the rotor head was 80% throttle at full pitch. Perhaps an OS46 would be a better fit.

Phoenix
Old 08-02-2002, 06:26 PM
Dazzler

Without any mods, I think the your only choices are the Irvine 39, TT36,Hirobo 36, and the #1 choice OS32. I read somewhere TT was going to come out with a 39. It may already be out overseas. Daz...
Old 08-02-2002, 06:33 PM
GMRO

Default More Power...

Hi guys,

I don’t want to rain on anybodies parade in the race of big motors in small helis but safety is something that should be addressed and be first whenever we plan on sticking big motors, meaning bigger by 28% and above, into airframes and control systems designed around smaller engines.

I would say the biggest motor available, while not having to upgrade for performance and safety reasons, would be the Webra 35 or maybe the Hirobo 36. These motors will fit without mods in the Venture30CP. I have the Webra 35 and it works very well in my Venture. I’ve not used the Hirobo 36 but I’ve heard great things from those who have them.

Items like adding thrust bearings in the mainrotor head, a bigger beefier clutch bell/clutch, a better fan, a metal motor mount, and beefier mainrotor grips, longer t/r boom and belt, etc need to be addressed should one decide to put a huge or next size/class engine into any 30 heli really. Also I would not recommend running the woodies or 30 size blades that come with the Venture if you stuff a 50 into this bird. Going to a 50 size engine IMO deems composite blades or very well balanced 50 size woodies because of the increased performance. SO if you really want to use the O.S. 50, I’d suggest upgrading these parts. Even though presently there is not a conversion sold to do this, I think for those interested could buy the Ergo 30 to 46 conversion kit and you will get most of what is needed to make it work. Or at least get darn close to it... <G>

Closing off or lowering throttle curves simply won’t do it alone. Torque will still be there as well as wear and tear. Just something to consider...

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 08-02-2002, 07:35 PM
aashu

Default Donot forget

Also donot forget TT.39 and Irvine ,

As soon I receive My TT.39 , will post my reaction , compared to the OS 32 I am using in my raptor(do not wanna call it a review as I have a lot to learn)
Old 08-02-2002, 08:19 PM
Dazzler

Aashu, where did you order the 39 from? Thanks, Daz...
Old 08-03-2002, 05:18 AM
Phoenix-IT

Hirobo 36:

This is a great engine but it won't work with the Venture. The Venture's fan/clutch/hub assembly is designed to be used with the prop washer in place. The Hirobo 36 doesn't come with a prop washer and no one seems to be able to find one that will work with it.

Phoenix
Old 03-13-2003, 10:46 AM
firemanstat14
My Feedback: (1)

Not to bash anyone but Im going to answer your question-not reccomend another heli:-) I now have 3 different ventures floating aROUND AND LOVE THEM! dazz has a good point.The fuel/clunk line is somewhat miserable so its not a bad idea to go ahead and change it right out of the box.As i type I see the ideaology behind putting that bolt into the tail rotor ball link.Good idea and good observation!The os 32sxh after break in will do the job day after day in referance to just flying around.As far as 3d goes, the webra black head seems to suit the application just fine.Servos, I ran jr 537's all around and it did fine.I did try a 401/9253 combo and intend on sticking with it as it locks the tail in very well...prices ..I believe heliproz has the venture/os/32/mavrikk muffler combo for somewheres around 369 shipped.I dont know where 450 came from??Try heliproz and/or give them a call and theyll hook you up as far as prices and reliable information.Hope that helps.D
Old 03-13-2003, 01:33 PM
venture32os
My Feedback: (2)

Default Os 50 in venture

I have a os 50 in my venture. It is too much motor for stock ventue. You will only be able to between 1/2 and 3/4 stick. The head speed will be screaming. If you jab the throttle too hard it tends to strip the main gear. There is a ksj main gear that will hold it for around $20. I have installed the long boom conversion kit from and ergo 30. Metal pully's, and 600mm blades. The 50 works great with that setup. I would recommend the maverick muffler, I dont own one but have seen one on venture. It seems to perform better than century muffler and about the same price. It is quieter. There are alot o upgrades that can be put on venture. Most upgrades for tail of ergo fit the venture as well.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:58 PM
dimeadozen
My Feedback: (7)

Default venture 30

just bought the venture 30 arf as my first heli trainer. saw the comment about the tail pitch lever. my plastic ball broke off during rudder hookup and had to buy a new one. is this a weak link..no pun intended....in the heli and is there a metal upgrade? thanks...
Old 03-21-2003, 03:52 PM
burnsie90

What is the reason for adding the nut on the tail rotor ball link? And where do you add it, on the ball side or on the nut side on top of the first nut?

Great info,
Kevin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.