Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FiberClassics MIG29

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FiberClassics MIG29

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Plautos
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FiberClassics MIG29

Here we go once again, a little contribution to the RC Universe visual library.
The buildup from a FC Mig29 by Otavio.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Plautos

Default RE: FiberClassics MIG29

Old 11-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Plautos

Old 11-25-2010, 12:20 AM
bela

Great pictorial!
Old 11-25-2010, 09:40 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi Plautos,
Have you checked the angles of your stabs yet? If yours is like all the others I've read about, the right had stab will sit much lower at the tip than the left hand stab.
In post 28 of my semi build thread you can see the problem and fix I did on the one I'm building.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_99...tm.htm#9970309

The other thing I just ran into is that the supplied fuel tanks do not fit. I had to narrow the height of both tanks in order to get them into the airplane and/or fitting in their required spots. The biggest issue is that you cannot get the front tank in with the air intake louvers in place in the fuselage unless you narrow it even further than I did. Fortunately I have made the louvers in the one I'm building removable, they are all built into a tray that bolts into place. We are also actuating the intake doors and louvers with servo's instead of the hydraulic rams. This will make install and removal of the intakes much easier since the fuel pumps and solenoids will likely be mounted in that forward area.

You can also see in my thread how I cleaned up the inside of the intakes so that when the ramp doors are closed there are no gaps around the edges.

I would assume you have already cut out your gear doors, if you haven't though, keep this in mind.
The gear doors for the main gear: the rear door that covers the hydraulic cylinder will not be cut out big enough if you follow the mold lines. The instructions tell you to cut the main door and the middle door bigger than the mold lines, but not that rear door. It needs to be cut 1/4" wider at the front of that rear door tapering back to the rear edge. You will also need to probably grind out the former that the cylinder mounts into, in this kit the cylinder didn't even fit into the opening at the back to be mounted.
You will likely also have to grind away some of the main gear pivot block as the cylinder will hit it when the gear is fully retracted.
The nose gear opening also is not long enough for the wheels to clear the fuselage when the gear retracts. If I had realized this before I cut the doors out I would have made the doors 3/4" longer. If you look carefully in the manual you will see that they have cut out a W shaped area behind the doors to clear the wheels. I'd personally rather have the doors a bit longer and not have a hole in there. I will extend the doors on this one so there will be no hole.

Looking good so far though!
Old 11-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Plautos

Jeremy,

Thanks for the tips, I will check the stabs for the discrepancy...

My friend Otavio is building the kit and I´m sure he is following your work... He did lots of research about the kit assembly.

It is a very tricky kit, it is a challenge. The main frame for the nose gear came glued out of position, it is not aligned with the fuselage….
Anyway, Otavio has lots of work ahead…

We will keep following your posts.

Plautos
Old 11-25-2010, 08:02 PM
LGM Graphix

ORIGINAL: Plautos

The main frame for the nose gear came glued out of position, it is not aligned with the fuselage….
Anyway, Otavio has lots of work ahead…

We will keep following your posts.

Plautos

Yes, this one was the same, the former is very crooked, I glued some plywood to the nose gear retract mount and sanded it until the gear sat correctly. None of the holes for mounting the nose gear were drilled (which was a pain in the butt let me tell you) so at least I could do some aligning myself, but the former was crooked enough that without shimming the gear it would not retract into the fuse.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Plautos

Nose gear instalation..

Old 12-02-2010, 07:57 PM
LGM Graphix

oh crap, he has the old original sagging landing gear system, there is a completely upgraded main and nose gear system for this jet. The cylinders have a locking mechanism in the cylinder so once the gear is down / up it cannot sag. It also puts the nose gear cylinder in a better position. I would strongly consider getting the new gear (main gear themselves are the same, just different cylinders) and new hydraulic system before going any further. The original gear is one of the main reasons that most of the Mig's out there never flew.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Plautos

The elevators were a mess... here are some pictures..

Old 12-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Plautos

More pictures!

Air Brake!

Old 12-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Plautos