Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powerbox Cockpit SRS Problems

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox Cockpit SRS Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 06:49 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Powerbox Cockpit SRS Problems

ORIGINAL: siclick33

Just test it mate!
That's really helpful[:@] How about you buy it from me for full retail price instead and I'll use something else

If the faults are intermittent then testing it might not prove much; it only has to go wrong once in the air to wreck my model.
+1

I tested mine many times before I flew with it and it worked perfectly right up until it stopped working.....

Old 05-30-2012, 01:19 PM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also if a battery fails to turn on because of switch or bad battery conection or some other problem , sequencer will not work, it is a warning to look at things.

Hi Mark,

If one battery fails in flight, will the sequencer still work? I hope so, since i am all ready to install the SRS in my SG hawk.

Regards
Chatty.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:35 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Got a reply from Powerbox regarding the "feature" that the sequencer only works if the "home" screen is shown...
"Basically this is no bug, if you know it works this way"
also I'm told that I'm the only one ever to report this as a problem (they will however look into this the next time they visit the software)...
(what if all the servo outputs went "dead" if not on the home screen, would that also be considered a "feature" ???)

I have mine sitting on the bench here, and if I only attach one battery, the sequencer still works. Only time I can get it to not work, is if I'm away from the home screen
Old 05-31-2012, 06:17 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: mick15

This is a copy of the email I received when I asked the factory the same question.

''Hello,

can you have a look to the software version of your Cockpit? Newer Versions show the Version when you turn on the PowerBox on the right side of the Logo.

Older Version:

Turn on the PowerBox. Disconnect the batteries. Hold Button I&II and connect one battery. If you have a version 03 or higher you will have no problem with the sequencer. This issue is solved since May 2011- some days after bringing the PowerBox Cockpit to the market. The guy in the forum seems to have very old versions- one of the first. I´m wondering because we informed our customers…

The thing with the Power off the receiver was a customers fault. He connected his Futaba receivers wrong. Newer Powerboxes have fuses inside, so also mistakes done by customer will not short the Powerbox out.''

ok guys, I followed the above instructions (for the older version as the version number did not display as described above for the newer version) and here is what displayed......

Am I correct in understanding that I have version "02" here? If so that would explain my sequencer failure, but it would not explain the fact that this is a unit that was shipped to me only recently to replace my previously failed unit!!! [:@]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55200.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1767551  
Old 05-31-2012, 10:41 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Got a message more from Powerbox, they is looking into the sequencer now, there will be some enhancements to the sequencer, and software should be ready in a few weeks time. I'll be sending mine down for update once the update is ready!
Old 11-16-2013, 02:58 AM
mort78
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evening all....
I was looking into grabbing one of these units!!!
Do they still have these 'little' bugs? I must agree with one of the previous post about which screen display your on... for the sequencer not to work - Utterly silly. It should work on any screen imo.
I've never used a a powerbox before as the models i've been flying have always been basic.
I'm looking at getting into basic Jets now, but would like something that could stand the test of time, as I progress through more complex aircraft. I'm using the JR 12x at the moment. The reason I was looking at the SRS was purely because I wanted the option to use a Futaba radio if required!!!
Thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers gents,
Mort
Old 08-10-2014, 06:35 AM
Thai Tiger

They still have a glitch......

I very nearly crashed my Turbine aircraft today (8500 USD) because of a Cockpit SRS V17 software going into TWO holds & shutting the turbine down.

I've tried using DSMX & DSMX carbon satelites but have seen similar issues with each, however only been seeing holds on the Carbon RX's.

I've also seen issues with the sequencer, the last time the engine stopped the gear wouldn't extend, only the doors would open.....God, I've been flying for 14 years & its supposed to be the most robust system on the market but I have NEVER, NEVER had any of my $40 receivers do this but my $400 plus dollar Cockpit SRS system seems to do it all too often.

Anybody else?
Old 08-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi all,

I lost a brand new Ultra Lightning on the maiden flight this spring, due to this very issue IMO. Exact same setup, with 2 brand new A123's. Everything brand new. It just flew away, on a knife edge pass, until it snapped out and crashed. It was not signal loss/lockout. My failsafe was programmed to kill the engine, hold the flight controls, and extend the gear. The gear remained retracted at point of impact. The 18MZ tx I was using works flawlessly in all my other airplanes. I'm back to 6014 Rx's and straight powerbox cockpit in all my jets now. That was my first turbine aircraft radio crash in 14 yrs. Took the wind out of my sails for a while. Unsat.

Erik
Old 08-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Erik, Im flying the SRS cockpit in the F-4 and in the F-16 tiger with A123 and dual 7008 RX never a hiccup. I did loose an Electra with a straight 6014 RX in the corn two years ago right by the pavilion that I could never explain. Got the plane back and the batteries and the RX still worked, not even a broken servo gear. Sent the tx and rx back to futaba and it all came back fine, I swear its the micro wave in the kitchen jamming us. Still bothers me to this day to loose something and not know why.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Don,

I know bud, but that was straight up spooky, and I was just getting started with the sbus thing. I've been told privately about issues with the cockpit srs, and sbus rx interface, but this is the first I've seen it out in the forums. I don't know what to think. My 6014's have been bulletproof, regardless of the power distribution system. We'll miss u at the event this weekend. Have fun at Gardner, and say hello to everyone for me. Take care, and stay safe,

Erik
Old 08-10-2014, 05:06 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

ohh snap,

I was to setup my first unit, after reading this.. hell no. Going to hold off and see what the heck is going on first.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:52 PM
dos007
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have these in two planes...now I am thinking about changing them out. I hate to risk my ultra lightning and my TH Viper XL.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:57 AM
Walo

My Powerbox with Jeti Rsat receivers works perfectly but there is one very important thing: you have to disable failsave in both receivers!

Regards, Walter
Old 08-11-2014, 06:03 AM
Gonzalo38

Too bad to hear that you you guys are having problems with the Cockpit SRS. I have three (3) Cockpit SRS and three (3) Royal SRS and they have all worked flawlessly. All equipped with Futaba R7003SB or R7008SB

Have you guys tried to contact Richard at the power box forum ? He is usually quite good at answering and providing help.

By the way, the current software version now is 21. Really easy to upgrade......

http://forum.powerbox-systems.com
Old 08-11-2014, 06:57 AM
DiscoWings

Also its important to find out if the issue is isolated to the Futaba systems or does it inlcude JR, so far it seems that the issue is affecting futaba users only. ANY Known cases of JR failures?
Old 08-11-2014, 09:55 AM
bidrseed2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gonzalo,
Are you using telemetry?
if so, are your Rx status lights on the powerbox screen solid or flashing?
Old 08-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Gonzalo38

I'm using telemetry in two of them..... but can't remember if the Rx status light is solid or flashing.

Having said that, I haven't installed telemetry on the other planes with the small receivers since I think that the signal deteriorates and it's not as clean as when I don't have it. Seen some numbers in the Powerbox and when telemetry is on, the number of fades goes up. It gets worse if I refresh telemetry constantly. Maybe I'm worrying too much and the signal is still robust enough.

I've read of a couple of people reporting problems when using the R7008SB with Powerbox, but nothing is confirmed. Just rumours......

http://forum.powerbox-systems.com/vi...lit=7008#p3984

Last edited by Gonzalo38; 08-11-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:28 PM
Thai Tiger

Originally Posted by DiscoWings
Also its important to find out if the issue is isolated to the Futaba systems or does it inlcude JR, so far it seems that the issue is affecting futaba users only. ANY Known cases of JR failures?
My issue is with the JR satelites, both DSMX & DSMX Carbon RX's.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:59 PM
Thai Tiger

Here is the real kicker.......

After performing all the same tests as I did the other day I & changing nothing, I now can't fault the system & would, if it was a first install FLY, wihout any question.

BUT, and its a big BUT, I know there is a ghost in this thing & I'm removing all my powerbox SRS units. I've got 3 for sale, anybody interested? switching back to letting Spektrum handle the RF link from here thanks.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:36 PM
DiscoWings

so the current fix is to run a patch power cable to each RX to ensure power?

What about running the S7008sb external power as backup? They have a plug for this.