Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Viability of sharing a turbine between 2 models..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Viability of sharing a turbine between 2 models..

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 05:52 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by j.c.a.
I would consult Kingtech , I was told by king teck that two ecu's was not recommended and that would void my warranty.

J.C
Not sure the reason for this, but I have run into the issue with both Jet Cat and now Evo. Not sure the reason for Kingtech, but have a feeling it is the same reason. One ECU will keep track of the total time of the turbine. When operating the same turbine off of two ECU's, the total time isn't the same between the ECU, thus showing a different Total Time. Bob W. blew me off on this, and now at EVO, we are looking into this issue. This is why.......IMHO.....as to why Kingtech would void the warranty, is because it isn't an accurate time of the engine. It is BS when any of the manufactures say Total Time is stored in the engine. Retire Jet Capt here, so very funny about keeping proper time of engines from my professional days.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 05-29-2014 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:02 AM
j.c.a.
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly what they said ref time on engine, very easy solution would be for the manufacturer to document the specific turbine with two ecu's and request for any service or warranty work that the customer must send both ecu's to verify total time.

J.C.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:14 AM
RCFlyerDan

Originally Posted by j.c.a.
Exactly what they said ref time on engine, very easy solution would be for the manufacturer to document the specific turbine with two ecu's and request for any service or warranty work that the customer must send both ecu's to verify total time.

J.C.
Issue also becomes with resale of the engine to others. A Jet owner, could actually buy another ECU for an engine that has 25+ true hours on the engine, then list it on RCU, or some other place and sell it with another ECU that says it only has 4 hours. IMHO.....all of the manufactures have this undisclosed issue.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:19 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't have to use Festo caps, just heat a bit of fuel tubing and squeeze it flat on one end and put the other end in the existing Festo.

Mike
Old 05-29-2014, 06:26 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Real jet engines I worked on dont care about time. What they care about are "tacs", or the number of rotations the High Pressure Turbine makes. If you think about it, this makes more sense. 25 hours at idle is not the same as 25 hours at full throttle.
How do I know? Well I am not a real pilot, which is good because a real pilot doesnt know jack about jet engines. I was jet engine mechanic in the air force for 4 years. Damn good one too. Its the main reason I am into jets now.

I wish they would go to tacs because then I can "stretch" my turbine's use by keeping the tacs lower. I also think it would also be more reliable since if you couple it with time, it shows how the engine is being used. Low Time, high tacs = essyou35's viper jet.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:02 AM
RCFlyerDan

Originally Posted by essyou35
How do I know? Well I am not a real pilot, which is good because a real pilot doesnt know jack about jet engines. I was jet engine mechanic in the air force for 4 years. Damn good one too. Its the main reason I am into jets now.

I wish they would go to tacs because then I can "stretch" my turbine's use by keeping the tacs lower. I also think it would also be more reliable since if you couple it with time, it shows how the engine is being used. Low Time, high tacs = essyou35's viper jet.
EVOJET.us keeps track of revolutions, as you are talking about! And BS on pilots not knowing Sh*t!! Revolutions aren't as important as cycles, or starts. That is the hardest on the engine. Unless you did hot and overhauls, all you were was a component and oil changer.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 05-29-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:15 AM
essyou35

Well the pilots I knew didnt. They were fighter pilots allegedly engaged in combat during the bosnian conflict. Maybe commercial pilots or rc pilots know alot more for some reason?

I had go start the jet so many times for them because they have bleed air switches wrong or couldnt get the APU to couple. Feel free call the air force and let them know they are doing it wrong.

I really dont care how our toy turbines keep track of anything, I just use this as a way to have a small connection to my service in the air force. It reminds me at one time I used to do something cool and there is basis in what I say about jet engines. But since flying RC jets I am learning everything I know is wrong...

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
EVOJET.us keeps track of revolutions, as you are talking about! And BS on pilots not knowing Sh*t!! Revolutions aren't as important as cycles, or starts. That is the hardest on the engine.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:21 AM
RCFlyerDan

Well the pilots I knew didnt. They were fighter pilots allegedly engaged in combat during the bosnian conflict. Maybe commercial pilots or rc pilots know alot more for some reason?

I had go start the jet so many times for them because they have bleed air switches wrong or couldnt get the APU to couple. Feel free call the air force and let them know they are doing it wrong.

I really dont care how our toy turbines keep track of anything, I just use this as a way to have a small connection to my service in the air force. It reminds me at one time I used to do something cool and there is basis in what I say about jet engines. But since flying RC jets I am learning everything I know is wrong...
I was Chief Pilot of corporate jets, and responsible for the maintenance. And you are right, when I was flying the B-727, which I have an ATP, I did fly with a lot of DA Airforce guys that were used to being lead around by their noses. ..........yeah......I know....I set myself up on this one.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:31 AM
essyou35

B-727? I had to look it up thought you were a bomber pilot for a second there. You mean the Boeing 727. B- is reserved for airforce bombers.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:48 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jetster81
I personally would never swap turbines around as for me it adds an extra risk factor that I am not willing to take with my jets,just my 2ps worth.
I have a diferent POV here. Everytime I swap a turbine i spend a couple of minutes checking the compressor, turbine wheel, spinning it slowly to feel the bearings... things you will never do if you don't swap it.

But you are right too, there are things that can get you in trouble too, for example, if your max RPM's are different between models (to adapt thrust to size) you have to make sure you have the right setting (ask my dad about taking off an F100 on grass, with a titan at 112K RPM... and of course, somehow it was my fault haha).

I guess it all depends on how many jets you have too. If you have 2 jets, then ok, have two turbines. they will get excercised and the cost is manageable. Go up to 4 or 5 jets, then it stop making sense to equip each and all of them (at least for me)
Old 05-29-2014, 11:16 AM
SushiHunter

Using one turbine between two (or more) a/c seems like a lot of work to do, but would ultimately depend on type of a/c involved. Turbines mounted on the outside of an a/c would be pretty simple I'd think compared to turbines "buried" deep inside of a fuse type of a/c.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:46 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have plenty of turbines, I can never get enough airframes ready at once!!
Old 05-29-2014, 05:20 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

B-727? I had to look it up thought you were a bomber pilot for a second there. You mean the Boeing 727. B- is reserved for airforce bombers.
Ever seen a Boeing type rating, as written on an Airman Certificate? On second thought, based on your statement above, it is self-evident to even the most casual observer that you haven't.

And I can guran-damn-tee you that I do know "jack" about a jet engine. Nor have I ever needed a mech to come start the engine for me. Good grief...

Sluggo

EDIT: Just to make sure, I decided to look again. Yep, there on the back of my "ticket": B-757; B-767; B-777 (in addition to DC-9 and A-320)

(Apologies to OP for off-topic post, but blatant misinformation from SU35 needed to be corrected)

Last edited by VF84sluggo; 05-29-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:48 PM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

Way big ditto VFSluggo...
"Damn good one too"! Really, I mean really! Allegedly engaged? Like you had your arss in the hot seat right? That's a clueless and disrespectful comment (the entire post) that at the very, the very least, kept you busy during your military service. Which by the way, I thank you for, at least I think I do.........
hook

Though I might have only two type ratings, one starting with a D the other a S, I earned em dude.
Apologies to the OP too, but....

Last edited by hook57; 05-29-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:58 PM
VF84sluggo

Thanks much, Hook!

Indeed, the "allegedly engaged" comment, as well as that whole post, was sheer nonsense, blatantly disrespectful, smacks of jealousy, and is indicative of an inferiority complex. I didn't even want to dignify it with a rebuttal, it was so imbecilic.

And you are dadgum right: those type ratings you hold are definitely earned! Kudos to you.

Last edited by VF84sluggo; 05-29-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:09 PM
essyou35

Well I stand corrected on the B-, I never heard of a b-757 I though it might be bomber.

The "allegedly engaged" comment, is meant that at the time, it could not be denied nor confirmed they were in fact engaged. No idea why that is offensive.

And BTW, I dont know how many pilots got mad at me after I flipped a switch so they could go fly. Dont worry, I am used to it. I always loved flying out to a remote base to for a "maintenance issue", well I guess you can call it that. Those bleed air switches are tricky.

And I am curious, were you in the guard/reserves? And what did you fly?
Old 05-29-2014, 06:28 PM
VF84sluggo

^^^ PM sent, as response is not germane to this thread
Old 05-29-2014, 06:37 PM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

Well I stand corrected on the B-, I never heard of a b-757 I though it might be bomber.

The "allegedly engaged" comment, is meant that at the time, it could not be denied nor confirmed they were in fact engaged. No idea why that is offensive.

And BTW, I dont know how many pilots got mad at me after I flipped a switch so they could go fly. Dont worry, I am used to it. I always loved flying out to a remote base to for a "maintenance issue", well I guess you can call it that. Those bleed air switches are tricky.

And I am curious, were you in the guard/reserves? And what did you fly?
Okay, here it is simply put, as you said, you "flipped" a switch so I could go fly. Really, really, and really!!!? That's all you did? After all those hours, all that turbulence, all those banks cranks and "oh ***** how'd that happen", all you did was flip a switch for me or the crew? And you think the bleed air switches were tricky? Gawd I'm so freaking happy I'm not on the flight line anymore, and Gawd I hope you aren't either. Sorry guys, I'd PM him but I think he'd think it was to a "Prime Meridian".
hook
Old 05-29-2014, 07:10 PM
essyou35

You and your crew? Cargo Pilot? Crew chief? B-52?
Old 05-29-2014, 07:15 PM
essyou35

Anyways I would like to make a note that my comments dont apply to those pilots who can strip down a jet engine and fly them as well. I knew there a few out there but apparently the RC community is full of them. So those comments dont apply to you.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:55 AM
VF84sluggo

Originally Posted by hook57
Sorry guys, I'd PM him but I think he'd think it was to a "Prime Meridian".
hook
Yeah, don't waste your time.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:28 AM
RCFlyerDan

Sluggo and Hook! Thanks for your support and education, as we have seen, some are lacking on here. I knew I have been retired for fifteen years, and knew I was getting older, but when someone has to look up what I used to fly, now I feel really old!! LOL>>>>>>>

Wayne, OP, sorry we got off of subject, but misinformation needs corrected. In closing, the easier you make it on yourself to change out the engines, the more you will enjoy the hobby. As I said earlier, I swapped an engine between two jets for a few years. Just have two complete set ups in both jets, so that all you have to do is 4 bolts, and the plugs and fuel line(s) on the engine. Keep the dirty side down! Dan
Old 05-30-2014, 06:26 AM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know you already own turbines but for others thinking of doing this, the JetCat RXi series look like they are tailor made for this option. One power cord and one fuel, you're done. I'm sure we'll be seeing this more and more often with next gen turbine design
Old 05-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Originally Posted by patrnflyr
I know you already own turbines but for others thinking of doing this, the JetCat RXi series look like they are tailor made for this option. One power cord and one fuel, you're done. I'm sure we'll be seeing this more and more often with next gen turbine design
It doesn't have to be the RX or RXI versions. Jetcat has had an internal chip inside the engine for quite a few years now. It was done originally to assist with warranty purposes and allow Jetcat to track time on engines (not on ECU's). This began with either the SE or the SX versions; I don't remember for sure. Anyway from those versions forward you can simply swap the turbine by removing four bolts and unplugging the fuel & electric lines from the front of the turbine and the time logged goes with the turbine. You do not need to change the ECU's, just make sure you have selected the correct turbine program for your engine in the other ECU. It also will have no effect on the startup when changing only the engine. I have done this many times over the years. They are plug & play.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:48 AM
RCFlyerDan

Originally Posted by Gary Jefferson
It doesn't have to be the RX or RXI versions. Jetcat has had an internal chip inside the engine for quite a few years now. It was done originally to assist with warranty purposes and allow Jetcat to track time on engines (not on ECU's). This began with either the SE or the SX versions; I don't remember for sure. Anyway from those versions forward you can simply swap the turbine by removing four bolts and unplugging the fuel & electric lines from the front of the turbine and the time logged goes with the turbine. You do not need to change the ECU's, just make sure you have selected the correct turbine program for your engine in the other ECU. It also will have no effect on the startup when changing only the engine. I have done this many times over the years. They are plug & play.
I had the 120SX and it didn't have the "chip" and the two ECU's kept different time, thus Bob W blowing me off. Of course, I have sold my Jet Cats and won't go back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.