Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xicoy Electronic C.G. Balancer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xicoy Electronic C.G. Balancer

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 11:33 AM
ddfwaj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foundryratjim
I have the BT Version with angle meters. They would great with my Android phone and tablet. I would assume Xicoy could answer your question.
Thanks and appreciate the response. Are you saying they work great with the Android phone and tablet? Also, I see some people have created wooden scales to measure distance front to back and side to side. Is this really critical or you use a scale?
Old 08-03-2020, 11:55 AM
jchorak
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the cones were to be used for a gear up measurement, what is the proper placement of the cones? Cannot find info on the use of cones.

Thanks,
JC
Old 08-03-2020, 11:57 AM
foundryratjim
My Feedback: (93)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the BT works great with my Android stuff. I like it on the tablet best. Just easier to see. There are a bunch of ways you can use scales to set up the cg like a full scale. Some people go to an office supply store and buy an electronic postal scale and do the math. Definitely a less costly way to go. I like technology so I like to play. The Xicoy system works great and I like it. I I have taken to the field to help others.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:00 PM
foundryratjim

Originally Posted by jchorak
If the cones were to be used for a gear up measurement, what is the proper placement of the cones? Cannot find info on the use of cones.

Thanks,
JC
I have never used them. I would assume where the gear are. There is a website that sells jet and stuff I think in this thread. I think they sell the cones. You could contact them.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:49 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

I used long straight edge to measure the distances...very important to be as accurate as possible, also power the scales and don’t move them for like 10 minutes...and they are pretty stable them......then put the plane on them.

Got the Bluetooth add on, and that works well with iPad and iPhone.....
Old 08-03-2020, 02:55 PM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I had the Bluetooth version. I found them to be erratic and more trouble than they were worth. I ended up sending the back to Xicoy and paying the difference for the standard version with the screen. It worked much better for me and I use it for all my stuff now.
Tone
Old 08-03-2020, 03:19 PM
ddfwaj

Yes, the BT works great with my Android stuff. I like it on the tablet best. Just easier to see. There are a bunch of ways you can use scales to set up the cg like a full scale. Some people go to an office supply store and buy an electronic postal scale and do the math. Definitely a less costly way to go. I like technology so I like to play. The Xicoy system works great and I like it. I I have taken to the field to help others.
Originally Posted by Dansy
I used long straight edge to measure the distances...very important to be as accurate as possible, also power the scales and don’t move them for like 10 minutes...and they are pretty stable them......then put the plane on them.

Got the Bluetooth add on, and that works well with iPad and iPhone.....
Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
I had the Bluetooth version. I found them to be erratic and more trouble than they were worth. I ended up sending the back to Xicoy and paying the difference for the standard version with the screen. It worked much better for me and I use it for all my stuff now.
Tone
Thanks guys! I ordered the PRO with screen for now. I like having the solution all in one and not having to worry about future phone upgrades and such. I am sure I will be back here in a few days with a lot of stupid questions for everyone LOL.

Thanks again!
Old 08-03-2020, 03:23 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ddfwaj
Looking for some advice, which model is everyone ordering? Does the BT version work well with an Apple Ipad or phone? I am considering the small screen version so I don't have to worry about the app or phone setup, is this really an issue? I am looking to purchase the "Digital weight and balance meter PRO with screen.

Thanks,

Dennis
Yes the BT works great with the iPhone and iPad. I prefer the iPad because of the bigger screen. I would not want the tiny screen model after using the BT on the iPad. I got my kit from Ultimate Jets, comes with certified scales, throw meters, and a really cool carry case and some instructions by Oli on how to set up and use it. Check out their website.

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 08-03-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:42 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

I have that screen as well, I was an early adopter and the BT wasn’t out, I much prefer on the iPad as well and they are solid.....but need to warm up first.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:01 PM
F900
My Feedback: (2)

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Can any help me with this issue?

Updated the software to version 1.4
Calibrated each balancer separately
All leads are connected correctly.

Now the jet I am using (FW M2000) just as a test since I know it very well and I can test it in the house.
Below you can see what I am seeing. Most times the graphic jet will not show. It won't even register the nose weight.
Flying weight of the m2000 is approx 2200g

I can try my BVM Bandit but before I test other jets I wanted to get the basics correct. The screen will flicker and hB flickers also, it never shows weight.

I read the manual and I see nothing about "hB"

https://imgur.com/aPusIvl

https://imgur.com/3V0yEnV

Last edited by F900; 08-07-2020 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:10 PM
F900

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

After watching videos and this time using my BVM Bandit CG balancer it works fine. It would appear the Xicoy C.G balancer does not like light jets (under 5lbs).

Old 08-09-2020, 04:43 AM
ddfwaj

OK, told you guys I would be back with stupid questions LOL.

OK, so I got this thing set up and works very well. I am impressed with how well it holds 0. The cool part is you can turn everything off and come back later turn the system back on and its exactly where it was, nice job Xicoy!

I am trying to CG an Eflite F18 and everything seems to match up except I don't understand the "Measured CG 125mm"? When I measure the actual CG by hand I come up with 65mm so what is this 125mm measurement?

Old 08-09-2020, 06:02 AM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Xcoy

The 125 measured CG is what the machine thinks the CG is based on the weights and the measurements you gave it.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:44 AM
foundryratjim

I found that for me the manual for the earlier version was better at explaining the product. Just ignore the setup part.

http://www.xicoy.com/downloads/CGBasic.pdf
Old 08-09-2020, 08:05 AM
ddfwaj

Originally Posted by BobH
The 125 measured CG is what the machine thinks the CG is based on the weights and the measurements you gave it.
OK yeah I was thinking that so I am assuming the CG that is given in the Aircraft manuals are really not CG points than? The Eflite manual states 70mm - 78mm for CG but I have a Motor that is not stock and is a little over an oz heavier so the 65mm CG I am measuring by hand makes sense. If I was 125mm I would be way off CG.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:30 AM
ddfwaj

I found that for me the manual for the earlier version was better at explaining the product. Just ignore the setup part.

http://www.xicoy.com/downloads/CGBasic.pdf
Appreciate the help but I think I am more confused than I was LOL. Once I saw this I kinda shut down mentally as if they can't get simple math right than who knows what the hell they are trying to say. Don't get me wrong I really like this tool I just need to understand why its reporting 125mm CG when its actually 65mm.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:39 AM
foundryratjim

The 25mm is the distance or offset from the edge of the sensor to the center of the sensor.
They must have made a typo on the 73mm.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:09 AM
ddfwaj

The 25mm is the distance or offset from the edge of the sensor to the center of the sensor.
They must have made a typo on the 73mm.
Right OK makes sense.

In regards to my CG issue, I think I understand what the Measured CG 125mm means now. I just watched this video below and kinda makes sense however it's a bit wonky in regards to the terminology I think. The manual you ref is for the Basic unit and the terminology of the software actually makes more sense than the LCD display that I have. I believe the CG machine is telling me in order to get to the 120mm CG than I need to shift the Measured 125mm CG. So in essence I am 5mm off my desired CG or 120mm, this make sense?

- The measured distance from edge of leading edge (per manual) to the edge of the straight edge behind the mains gear CG sensors

• 227mm - 32.5mm = 194.5mm
• 194.5mm - 74mm = 120.5mm

• 32.5mm = radius of sensor (dia of sensor is 65mm)
• 74mm = Eflite recommended CG

Last edited by ddfwaj; 08-09-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:26 AM
foundryratjim

I think you have it. I have never used mine for a tricycle setup, just large scale tail draggers an it has worked perfectly. I don't have a link handy but there is also a video the show someone doing this with postage scales and shows the math to explain the process.

Last edited by foundryratjim; 08-09-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:37 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

You're getting seriously wrong! Measured CG is the distance from the main wheel axle line to the CG.
You are confusing different reference points. Manuals give CG usually from the leading edge at the root. Xicoy measures CG from the main wheel axle line.

Last edited by HarryC; 08-09-2020 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:52 AM
ddfwaj

I think you have it. I have never used mine for a tricycle setup, just large scale tail draggers an it has worked perfectly. I don't have a link handy but there is also a video the show someone doing this with postage scales and shows the math to explain the process.
Yeah, your right I did a quick search and found a pretty cool site. Wish I would have seen this before spending $300 LOL. Nah, I really like this setup plus it has features that make using scales a PIA. A good scale would cost you at least $60 apiece so for an extra $120 you get a display and it records your aircraft so all in all worth it. Whats cool though is this validates what I was thinking so thanks for the heads up on this. If anyone is interested here is the YT link and his website.

https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/inf...ane-cofg-calc/

Old 08-09-2020, 09:54 AM
foundryratjim

I went through some notes i had wrote down with my set up.

Harry C is right.

EX. If the cg is 100 mm aft of the leading edge
Main gear center point is 50mm aft of the leading edge.
100mm minus 50mm = 50mm, so the cg is 50mm aft of the mains, that is the number used in the calculations.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:58 AM
ddfwaj

Originally Posted by HarryC
You're getting seriously wrong! Measured CG is the distance from the main wheel axle line to the CG.
You are confusing different reference points. Manuals give CG usually from the leading edge at the root. Xicoy measures CG from the main wheel axle line.
Yep understood, I get that now. I was originally confusing the two but I understand now that Xicoy gives a different measurement which is still based on the original manual CG as you have to use this measurement in the calculation. All Xicoy had to do was add a pic similar to the one below and there would be NO confusion in their manuals.

Last edited by ddfwaj; 08-09-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:05 AM
ddfwaj

Originally Posted by HarryC
So does this make sense than? Did you see the pic in my post?

- The measured distance from the leading edge (per manual) to the edge of the straight edge behind the mains gear CG sensors

• 227mm - 32.5mm = 194.5mm
• 194.5mm - 74mm = 120.5mm

• 32.5mm = radius of sensor (dia of sensor is 65mm)
• 74mm = Eflite recommended CG (from leading edge)

Last edited by ddfwaj; 08-09-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:40 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Do not measure the size of the sensor, you are just complicating it.
It is very easy, you only measure the distance from main axle centre line to the desired CG, and main axle centre line to nose/tail axle centre.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.