Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xicoy Electronic C.G. Balancer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xicoy Electronic C.G. Balancer

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 12:50 PM
ddfwaj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryC
Do not measure the size of the sensor, you are just complicating it.
It is very easy, you only measure the distance from main axle centre line to the desired CG, and main axle centre line to nose/tail axle centre.
Not that easy as my F18 has trailing link gear, how do you suggest I do that?

Last edited by ddfwaj; 08-09-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:06 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ddfwaj

Still measures from the Center of the main axle to C&G point, Center of Main axle to Center of the nose axle....and Center of the main axles to the middle of the ballast area to be added if required...
Old 08-09-2020, 01:11 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

you don't measure it on the sensor. Put the sensors away. Place the model on the worktop. Use blocks underneath wheels if required to get model to a level attitude. Use a set square against axle centres and mark their location on the workbench. Use set square at CG location and mark on the bench. If you do not want to mark the bench put down a bits of masking tape and mark that. Move the model out of the way. Draw a line between main axle centre points. Measure from the centre of that line to the CG, and to the nose/tail axle. There are the 2 numbers that you need. The marks are no longer needed and can be ignored, or tape removed. Now put the sensors on the worktop, if you had blocks under any wheels to level the model put them on the worktop with the weight sensors on top of the blocks. Now you can put the model on the sensors.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:52 PM
ddfwaj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryC
you don't measure it on the sensor. Put the sensors away. Place the model on the worktop. Use blocks underneath wheels if required to get model to a level attitude. Use a set square against axle centres and mark their location on the workbench. Use set square at CG location and mark on the bench. If you do not want to mark the bench put down a bits of masking tape and mark that. Move the model out of the way. Draw a line between main axle centre points. Measure from the centre of that line to the CG, and to the nose/tail axle. There are the 2 numbers that you need. The marks are no longer needed and can be ignored, or tape removed. Now put the sensors on the worktop, if you had blocks under any wheels to level the model put them on the worktop with the weight sensors on top of the blocks. Now you can put the model on the sensors.
OK, thanks, and please don't take this the wrong way as I am not trying to be argumentative but what I think you are suggesting is more complicated than it needs to be. The whole idea of this setup is to make it easy for the user to measure CG. The load cell bodies have concave surfaces so the wheels automatically center themselves. At this point, I now know where the center of the wheel/axle is. Why is it so difficult to subtract half the dia of the load cell which defines the center? It's much simpler than what you are suggesting. Again, just trying to get to a simple procedure. I absolutely understand that only two numbers are needed based on great input from awesome users like yourself.

Thanks again for everyone's help!
Old 08-09-2020, 01:56 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

I measured them on the sensor...it makes no different What so ever...I used one or 2 long (48”) rulers.....and a builder laser..(because I have a couple) shoot the laser it’s easy and dead accurate.....I also use a square to make sure I’m shoot the laser straight...
Old 08-09-2020, 09:40 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

OK, thanks, and please don't take this the wrong way as I am not trying to be argumentative but what I think you are suggesting is more complicated than it needs to be. The whole idea of this setup is to make it easy for the user to measure CG. The load cell bodies have concave surfaces so the wheels automatically center themselves. At this point, I now know where the center of the wheel/axle is. Why is it so difficult to subtract half the dia of the load cell which defines the center? It's much simpler than what you are suggesting. Again, just trying to get to a simple procedure. I absolutely understand that only two numbers are needed based on great input from awesome users like yourself.

Thanks again for everyone's help!
The wheels do not centre in the sensors despite the concave tops. Put the model on the sensors, then move the nose/tail sensor backwards and forwards. You can move it a long way. That's why you should measure to the axle centres, not the sensors.