Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Native Futaba 18MZ JetCat telemetry converter now available (thread fix)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Native Futaba 18MZ JetCat telemetry converter now available (thread fix)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:21 AM
ija

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Native Futaba 18MZ JetCat telemetry converter now available (thread fix)

Hi All,

First of all - I need to apologize as this is double posting now. The original thread got corrupted odd way and I'm unable to catch administrators to get it fixed. Apparently I used some forbidden character combinations in my last post. People have questions and there are answers so I feel better to open this new thread to enable discussion.

The original story is here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...available.html. If Admins could merge these some day it would be superb.

....Then back to the topic: There was some worries and also a claim that 18MZ 2.5.0 firmware might be more or less useless for JetCat telemetry because of Speech activation bugs...

I investigated it further and found out the reason why I didn't spot the problem earlier by myself: I used speech only via "Home2" menu so I didn't spot the bug at all.
There is an easy way to activate speech notices and thereafter Firmware works very well also for native JetCat telemetry purposes - Please find instructions below:

When you try to activate Speech via "Telemetry" -menu's "JetCat V10(Fuel Consumed)" -button it won't work. BUT the speech works well when activated via "Home2" -menu!

Just do the following ("Fuel Consumed" as an example):
1. Select "JetCat V10 (Fuel Consumed)" to be "Home 2" item under "Select" button of "Home2" menu
2. Also Select "Timer&PIT&THR" selection to OFF (as otherwise the next step controls are NOT available for You!)
3. Return to "Home2" -view: now you see immediate Speech & Switch buttons for all the telemetry items of "Home 2"
4. Select Speech ON or select any SWITCH to activate the Speech for "Fuel Consumed" -item.
5. If you selected some switch then you can put "Timer&PIT&THR" -selection back to ON if you so desire. Switch activated Speech will continue to be functional after this. BUT if you selected Speech ON without a switch then you cannot use "Timer&PIT&THR" ON -selection as radio will forget Speech ON setting (second bug!). You can still see timers on main HOME but not on HOME2. If you desire to have timers on Home2 then Momentary switch is very handy to activate telemetry info speech as you can call status whenever you want instead of radio yelling status all the time.

Home2 has also slight issue... for example: it just tells "one thousand three hundred" for Fuel 1300ml. Nothing else for Fuel while for Altitude 200m it tells "Altitude two hundred meters". But I think this is a minor issue until Futaba includes Fuel -word to their voice database.

Regards, Ilkka
Old 04-15-2015, 12:51 AM
ija

Originally Posted by DiscoWings
will this work on v6 ecu
yes it works. It has been excessively tested with v6 ecu. User guide can be found from my homepage www.jauho.fi.

sorry, the original thread is somehow corrupted. Saw the question via email notice... Lets continue here.

Regards, ilkka

• Today, 08:17
Old 04-21-2015, 04:59 PM
JustJets
My Feedback: (15)

Hi ilkka,

Just a quick update on the last topicis we were discussing. I have all sensors working with no interference now.
Seems the order of programing is very critical, I guess you may know this and probably even told me but it was lost in the many emails and RCU PM's.

However, just in case I wanted to give you some feed back and offer any help to represent your products as possitivley as possible. I can assist any one here in the USA to set up the 18Z for most add-on devices. Please feel free to pass my phone number if they are not able to get your devices working properly. It has been my experince that the radio and its programer are the issues in many cases. Agaig just trying to help out, if you would like some local support. Also I am very impressed on your willings to identfiy and replace my first order when it was disscovered to have a temperature issue. Thanks, this is best customer support anyone cloud ever expect.

Set-up for my 18Z

1. Reset all standards sensors defualts.

2. Register the ECU device as outlined in the Futaba manual.
Note. The device will locate with a starting slot of 8 normaly. You must RELOCATE the ECU device to Slot 1 before continuing.

3. Regester the Next device, in my case the PowerBox Teleconverter, you should have a sensor screen as listed below.
Note. You will need to regester all remaining device as outlined in the Futaba manual as well.

Slot 1-14 ECU device
Slot 15 Blank/empty (Used for airspeed in my case, added as last sensor)
Slot16-31 PowerBox, (this setting is in suport of the Telaconverter, I have the PowerBox Royal which is my current setup)

4. Slot 15 is used for the airspeed sensor. Curentley I'm using the FSS 460 airspeed module, it must be used as TEMP device on sensors page and then listed as a Airspeed device on Home page 2.

5. Programing of Home page 2 and Voice is done per you RCU thread.

Again as you are a 18Z expert Im sure this is old news to you but your new coustomers will need to follow these steps...

Respectfully, Philip Smith
832-420-4260
Old 04-22-2015, 04:04 AM
ija

Hi Phil, All,

Thanks for volunteering to help others! All, Phil can help You locally at US if you had any questions You want to talk via phone.

Phil is right, in some complex cases actual sensor registering order may have an impact. While autoregistering is used Futaba TX always allocates starting slot 8 or 16 for JetCatV10 sensor. In this particular case PowerBox allready reserved slot space 16...31 and therefore no 14 consecutive slots available anymore for JetCat starting with 8 or 16. Therefore 18MZ claimed that registering is not possible. Apparently original JetCat devices will require always these particular slots but since my JetCat adapter is more versatile also other starting slots can be used and more sensors can be used simultaneously. No need to use auto registering but instead go to SENSOR menu and use Change Slot (NOT Relocate!) to select fex. slot 1 for the JetCatV10. And then manually select JetCatV10 for slot 1 in Sensor listing.

Cheers, Ilkka

Last edited by ija; 04-22-2015 at 04:06 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:31 AM
ija

The original thread is somehow corrupted and at least I can read it only via email notices... Therefore I copied Len's response to this thread. Admins? Can you do something for the corrupted thread (Linked at the very first post of this fix-thread)

Originally Posted by Len

Hi Ilkka,
I have flown these units in both my Flash and my Habu-32x, and they worked flawlessly except it seems as if the version 10 ECU on the P-20SE has a poor idea of how fast the fuel is being consumed. It told me I had used 230 ml after 5.5 minutes and it turns out I had used about 500! I will keep the clock going until I figure this issue out. The Flash fuel consumed was spot on with the version 6 Titan SE ECU.
Thanks so much again for developing this unit!
Len
I didn't know that V10 can be that poor with default settings! Anyway fuel system is always impacted by capillary resistance etc that are different in all the systems so it's kind of expected that some manual finetuning is needed. Good to hear that your TitanSE had it working correctly right away! I haven't played personally with V10 ECU so unable to help but I'm sure there are similar parameters in ECU as with V6 to tune the fuel counter. Let us know once you get the ECU finetuned (or maybe there are JetCat experts in the forum who have already played with V10 ECU settings to tune the fuel counter?)

Cheers, Ilkka
Old 05-07-2015, 05:12 AM
ija

Exclamation PowerBox Teleconverter v02 with slot setting 16-31 is not working!

Hi All,

Phil explained above the method how to register Powerbox so that there could be enough slots also for JetCat sensor. However I'm sorry to inform You that "Powerbox"mode of the Teleconverter supports only slots 8-24 nothing else. So even it's very easy to reassign Teleconverter slots to 16-31 without errors and warnings, Teleconverter won't obey this slot setting! There is SBUS contamination and any other sensor can not work correctly atleast within slots 8-15.

I've informed PowerBox Germany about this and they responded: "We will soon make an update to put the slots from 16-31 to allow JetCat sensors working with Teleconverter as well."

Please notice that this is general problem and applies to all type of Futaba & Robbe sensors too. If you try to set Powerbox Teleconverter to slots 16-31 and then assign fex. Futaba Altitude sensor to slot9. The altitude sensor won't work because the Teleconverter corrupts data of telemetry slots assigned to Altitude sensor.

You can verify the compatibility issue by doing the following:
1) set slots 16-31 for Powerbox Teleconverter
2) set slot 9 for Futaba Altitude sensor (I tested this one...)
3) connect both teleconverter and altitude sensor parallel to Receiver SBUS2 connector
> Powerbox sensor views works correctly but Altitude information is not visible at all
4) disconnect Powerbox Teleconverter on the fly
> altitude information begins to work perfectly immediately
5) connect Powerbox Teleconverter back to SBUS2
> Altitude information freezes again

If you plan to continue to use PowerBox Teleconverter (with firmware v02) it's best to utilize Robbe current sensor emulation mode where you only need 3 slots. If you want to use PowerBox mode then you must keep slot setting 8-24 and JetCat nor Robbe Turbine sensos are possible.

(Only few datas of JetCat sensor works if there was above mentioned situation; eg RPM and EGT, but for example ECU battery and many other critical info won't work. Something might work intermittendly but everything is absolutely unreliable and mostly content is frozen. And due to bus conflict there will be excessive power consumption. Please remove PowerBox sensor or use it in current emulation mode)

Regards, Ilkka
Old 06-24-2015, 04:17 AM
ija

Hi All,

I just noticed that PowerBox got TeleConverter slot setting bug corrected and it now works also with 16-31 slot setting. Didn't personally test this yet but I assume it works now:

"V03 19.05.2015
    "

http://forum.powerbox-systems.com/vi...php?f=9&t=1427

So if you need to use Full powerbox telemetry with JetCat Telemetry you need to
    1) Update Teleconverter with the latest firmware above.
    2) Select PowerBox TeleConverter manually to slots 16-31
    3) Select Jetcat to slots 1-14 or 2-15

Regards, Ilkka
    Old 06-28-2015, 11:54 PM
    tassos p

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Ilkka,

I would like to thank you so much for all you support and proactiveness to resolve all issues that arose with other than your device as well as your persistence to perfection.

This is an amazing little device you put together that works faultessly on my 18MZ and guess what...... I do not need to have the canopy of my plane open anymore to read the screens and connect the GSU while starting the turbine.

I can see all numbers on my 18MZ.... this is really AMAZING, a real milestone for me.

Thank you so much, a huge leap of improvement towards enjoying the hobby on Friday and Saturday flying here in Dubai..... (when the temp goes back down again from 40C of course).

We all need more real hobby people like you.

Thanks again,

Tassos