Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti DS-24

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti DS-24

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 07:11 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin002
Holy Cow Batman, thanks for the heads up on this. I'm using MBar to automatically drop my gear if pressure god below 50psi. Just finished flying my Mustang at the Windy City Warbirds & Classics last week without any issues. Boy am I glad I didn't need to reset my timer! I will test this and let you know.
I would not recommend using the MBAR as a gear failsafe.. rather use it to set off an alarm, which you then can decide to put the gear down yourself.. I once saw a set of gear come out of a jet during a low pass.. it hit the ground about 100 feet later. Additionaly if you have a telemetry dropout, it could drop the gear.. so I dont recommend doing that.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:58 PM
Jack Diaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=gooseF22;12443894. Additionaly if you have a telemetry dropout, it could drop the gear.. so I dont recommend doing that.[/QUOTE]

Hi Goose, a telemetry dropout will not drop the gear if you program as my Method 2 above. That's the whole purpose of that logic.
I have used MBar as failsafe in most of my planes for years without any issue so far.

Jack
Old 06-29-2018, 09:28 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gooseF22
I would not recommend using the MBAR as a gear failsafe.. rather use it to set off an alarm, which you then can decide to put the gear down yourself.. I once saw a set of gear come out of a jet during a low pass.. it hit the ground about 100 feet later. Additionaly if you have a telemetry dropout, it could drop the gear.. so I dont recommend doing that.
I set an alarm for 60# to alert me of falling pressure. At 50# the failsafe kicks in and drops the gear. (depending on the gear) If pressure is dropping rapidly I want the gear down before its too late. I also use logical switches to keep from accidentally collapsing the gear.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:29 AM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by Jack Diaz
Hi Goose, a telemetry dropout will not drop the gear if you program as my Method 2 above. That's the whole purpose of that logic.
I have used MBar as failsafe in most of my planes for years without any issue so far.

Jack
Sure Jack, no problem if you use logic.. many didn't.. I got several calls early on.. Both Your Method 1 and 2 is very good setup.

I should revise my statement to say not to use it as a failsafe if you simply alarm and drop the gear.. Use of the Logic mix happens after the trigger, so it will work in that setting.

Last edited by gooseF22; 06-30-2018 at 03:33 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:35 AM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by causeitflies
I set an alarm for 60# to alert me of falling pressure. At 50# the failsafe kicks in and drops the gear. (depending on the gear) If pressure is dropping rapidly I want the gear down before its too late. I also use logical switches to keep from accidentally collapsing the gear.
I do like that idea Mark, it gives you a little warning before the gear drops. This combined with Jack's Methods or some derivative of it will work.. gotta Love Jeti, many ways to do things..
Old 06-30-2018, 03:41 AM
gooseF22

This may have been rehashed but recently simple setups.

Put a 900Rex3 in PPM mode, and plugged it into a standard Rex12 E port. Put it in Default mode. It worked very well.. But what It really got us was the ability to Buddy Box. I felt very confident we had good enough redundancy along with a good primary link.

We also set up a CB200 the same way, with a Rex inR1 and a 900 in R2, and did a buddy box setup..

We also set up a CortexPro/CB200 the same way..

Bottom line, the 24's 900 link gave us a greater confidence flying a turbine while buddy boxing.. I have found the 900 to be very reliable at long ranges, when you are likely to be needed. looked at alot of data now.

enjoy.. goose
Old 06-30-2018, 05:57 AM
Jack Diaz
My Feedback: (1)

One more thing:

It is VERY important to remember to set the gear switch in the Down position if the failsafe is triggered.
The reason is that you may not have steering, since in some installations it's deactivated with the gear Up switch..
The use of an alarm requesting "gear down" when pressure reaches failsafe level is a good reminder.

Jack
Old 06-30-2018, 07:58 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Diaz
One more thing:

It is VERY important to remember to set the gear switch in the Down position if the failsafe is triggered.
The reason is that you may not have steering, since in some installations it's deactivated with the gear Up switch..
The use of an alarm requesting "gear down" when pressure reaches failsafe level is a good reminder.

Jack
Jack, that's exactly how mine is set up. When the pressure gets low it announces "AIR PRESSURE LOW" three times. When the gear drops at the lower pressure it announces "GEAR DOWN" to remind me to hit the gear switch. Both alarms also announce the pressure which really isn't needed.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:10 AM
tassos p

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ww2birds
I would welcome any comments from those much more knowledgeable, in terms of any traps or "gotchas" or any thoughts on the reliability of the approach or how to improve it.

One potential weak point I've noted is that I only have one wire from the Cortex EXBus output to the CB200 RX1 .. since the CB200 RX2 is fed by the 900MHz backup. And of course the Cortex pin 4 to a servo output on the CB200 I presume to back up on power only.

Dave
Hey Dave,

I think it's not just the wire you have to worry about between Cortex and 2018... you might lose for example the output signal from the Cortex to the 2018 but not power to the 2.4 Rxs, ie Jeti will not switch to the 900MHz, so the radio will still think that you have control on the 2.4Ghz.

You might find something useful in my previous post RCU Forums - View Single Post - Jeti DS-24 and you can find in there a sample diagram using ENLINK (firmware needs to be updated from Servo to PPM using Jetistudio) here --> http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...6&d=1520138148.

I'm using the same setup with PB Royal and one cable (powerbus) to the SBUS servos, very similar to what you're using with the Emcotec 2018. Very simple, I'm saving around 8 cables running through 6-8ft of fuselage. And it was (fairly) easy to convert from Futaba to Jeti using this setup.

All the best.

Tassos
Old 06-30-2018, 01:56 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by wfield0455
Would that really be a good solution ? Since I believe the 2018 looks at the secondary receiver on a nearly frame by frame basis and since the R900 isn't even really active (updates about 1/10 rate) until the transmitter detect the 2.4Ghz link has failed, any time the 2.4Ghz drops a frame it may use very out of date data from the R900, possibly resulting in glitchy controls if the frame is dropped during rapid servo movements. Not sure what the likelihood of this happening is but I think Jeti specifically makes use of it's receivers in a way that favors the "hot standby" style 900Mhz receiver which isn't really active until the 2.4Ghz link fails which matches up very nicely to the way Jeti uses Rx2 of the central box..
Wayne's post is exactly why I did not do that .. I've been flying 2018s for a long time and have looked at a lot of flight logs and it switches many times during a flight.

It has been bugging me that my setup is more "rube goldberg" than "cool" .. so I am going to set up on the bench a different solution. I'll remove the 2018 and the CB200 but keep the nice wires and connectors (one for each wing, one for the entire tail), but base the setup on a CB400. The design will be to have a Slink-E convert the EXBus coming out of the CB400 to Sbus, and to use the BEC outputs to drive power and ground to the heavy SBus wires for the wings and tail, and supply the white wires with the Sbus output of the Slink-E. I may use some buffer/drivers to feed each of the Sbus cables white wires. I expect this to work fine, I'll report back. This does under-utilize the CB400 (e.g. its individual servo overload protection) but the CB400 does have the ability to take all three RXs into its inputs in just the right way... and presumably will use the 2x2.4 and 900 just as Jeti intends...

There is an example video on Esprit's website using two CB100s in the wings as "CB satellites" to a CB400 that is somewhat similar to what I am thinking about.

Dave

Last edited by ww2birds; 06-30-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:58 PM
ww2birds

Originally Posted by tassos p
Hey Dave,

I think it's not just the wire you have to worry about between Cortex and 2018... you might lose for example the output signal from the Cortex to the 2018 but not power to the 2.4 Rxs, ie Jeti will not switch to the 900MHz, so the radio will still think that you have control on the 2.4Ghz.

You might find something useful in my previous post RCU Forums - View Single Post - Jeti DS-24 and you can find in there a sample diagram using ENLINK (firmware needs to be updated from Servo to PPM using Jetistudio) here --> http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...6&d=1520138148.

I'm using the same setup with PB Royal and one cable (powerbus) to the SBUS servos, very similar to what you're using with the Emcotec 2018. Very simple, I'm saving around 8 cables running through 6-8ft of fuselage. And it was (fairly) easy to convert from Futaba to Jeti using this setup.

All the best.

Tassos
Thanks Tassos, I'll have a look. And good point to bring up. 900MHz backup not much use if the radio does not switch to it!!!

But I am not keen on using PPM, and the Enlink does not support EXBus (I bought a few before I realized that).

Dave
Old 06-30-2018, 09:30 PM
tassos p

But I am not keen on using PPM, and the Enlink does not support EXBus (I bought a few before I realized that).

Dave
Most welcome - Jeti rocks, great to read your post Dave, I learn every day.

According to Jeti themselves Enlink can work with Exbus (but I never tried it, I'm using UDI16 protocol for PB and works perfect). Maybe there's been a firmware update since you've last used Enlink. Remember that for the Rx connected to Enlink you should power them from a different source than your primary Rx.

Here's another diagram for PB (but I guess it's the same for the 2018:

Thanks, Tassos
Old 07-01-2018, 03:21 AM
Custmachr
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by tassos p
Most welcome - Jeti rocks, great to read your post Dave, I learn every day.

According to Jeti themselves Enlink can work with Exbus (but I never tried it, I'm using UDI16 protocol for PB and works perfect). Maybe there's been a firmware update since you've last used Enlink. Remember that for the Rx connected to Enlink you should power them from a different source than your primary Rx.

Here's another diagram for PB (but I guess it's the same for the 2018:

Thanks, Tassos
There are two different ENlink models. The ENlink and the ENlink Plus. The Plus does EX supposedly.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:09 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Default New Jeti TX cases

https://www.aeropanda.com/products/t...-ds-jeti-radio

We’ve been working on these for while. The goal was to be able fit everything that normally ships with the TX in as compact a space as possible. We will be offering combos when purchased with a new DS transmitter.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:01 AM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello F1,

Would you have a picture of the setup if I wish to use two R sat 2 Rx and one 900 MHz Rx with the CB 200 and cortex pro.

Thanks Chatty.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:03 AM
ww2birds

Originally Posted by Custmachr

There are two different ENlink models. The ENlink and the ENlink Plus. The Plus does EX supposedly.
As a Jeti newbie I am the one learning here, I'll look into this some more. thanks!
Old 07-02-2018, 08:28 AM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by c_makhija
Hello F1,

Would you have a picture of the setup if I wish to use two R sat 2 Rx and one 900 MHz Rx with the CB 200 and cortex pro.

Thanks Chatty.
I posted one back a several pages
Old 07-02-2018, 08:37 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket
https://www.aeropanda.com/products/t...-ds-jeti-radio

We’ve been working on these for while. The goal was to be able fit everything that normally ships with the TX in as compact a space as possible. We will be offering combos when purchased with a new DS transmitter.
Is the "seahorse" banding optional? Some pics show with and some show without.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:50 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by marksp
Is the "seahorse" banding optional? Some pics show with and some show without.

Branding will be AeroPanda of course
Old 07-02-2018, 09:52 AM
ZB

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket
Branding will be AeroPanda of course
All tested by Manny, he will perform destruction/sit down test. :-)))))))

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 07-05-2018, 11:23 AM
rbgetz

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Serious amp draw on CB200. I was setting up plane with CB200 with two Jeti 2600 mAh Li-Ion batteries. When logging on the CB200 through explorer I was checking telemetry I noticed the BATT2 drawing serious amps. jumping all over. See photo. No servos connected. Just the two R3 Sats and R3 switch. Peak showing 22 amps. I swapped BATT1 and BATT2 around and it's the same. Sometimes it will drop and then spike. Any thoughts on this? You can just watch the mAh's count up.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:46 AM
ww2birds

Wow .. that's crazy. I would have to suspect it's a telemetry issue .. hard to imagine it's really drawing that much current. Do you have another current meter to independently check?

Also, you might check the capacity of those Jeti packs before you put them in a plane. I got two of them and found that their capacity is about half the rated capacity (about 1300 mAH). They work fine, but have 1/2 the capacity I'd expect.

Perhaps they spec it as 2 cells, each of which is 1300 mAH = 2600 mAH. I'd say that is an incorrect spec. Most others would call that a 1300 mAH 2S pack, as do all the other suppliers I get batteries from. I suppose it's possible I got two bad packs but that's pretty unlikely. I always run a few discharge cycles and measure capacity and look at the discharge curve before installing in an airplane. Glad I did. They are now my bench test packs, 1300 mAH is too small for most of the planes I fly.

Dave

Last edited by ww2birds; 07-05-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:16 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, doubt it's actually drawing that much and it wouldn't show on a single sensor, assuming both packs are connected and have a similar charge. Must be a bad sensor in the CB200. If in doubt, simply put an ammeter in series with that pack and measure the actual draw. I suspect it's next to nothing in reality.

Last edited by wfield0455; 07-05-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:24 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow .. that's crazy. I would have to suspect it's a telemetry issue .. hard to imagine it's really drawing that much current. Do you have another current meter to independently check?

Also, you might check the capacity of those Jeti packs before you put them in a plane. I got two of them and found that their capacity is about half the rated capacity (about 1300 mAH). They work fine, but have 1/2 the capacity I'd expect.

Perhaps they spec it as 2 cells, each of which is 1300 mAH = 2600 mAH. I'd say that is an incorrect spec. Most others would call that a 1300 mAH 2S pack, as do all the other suppliers I get batteries from. I suppose it's possible I got two bad packs but that's pretty unlikely. I always run a few discharge cycles and measure capacity and look at the discharge curve before installing in an airplane. Glad I did. They are now my bench test packs, 1300 mAH is too small for most of the planes I fly.

Dave
Dave,
I've used Jeti Lipos before and I always got very close to the rated capacity out of them. If you're getting only 1300mah out of a 2600mah pack before the voltage drops to the discharged level then you have a defective pack(s). It's not that they rate them that way.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:49 PM
rbgetz

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

th
Originally Posted by wfield0455
I agree, doubt it's actually drawing that much and it wouldn't show on a single sensor, assuming both packs are connected and have a similar charge. Must be a bad sensor in the CB200. If in doubt, simply put an ammeter in series with that pack and measure the actual draw. I suspect it's next to nothing in reality.
Hi Wayne, I agree with you that it's most likely a sensor on the CB200. I just charged both batteries and they both replenished the same mAh. I have a new SBEC 30 in a box and I'll solder a connector on it and use it compare the amp draw. But.... I don't think I'll trust this CB200 in a model right now.

rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.