Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bavarian Demon Cortex PRO is here!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bavarian Demon Cortex PRO is here!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 08:31 AM
alfawaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by janmb
I believe that 6 stabilized channels is the maximum you can get in pwm mode. If you want / need more, I think you need to run sbus through the cp for all the stabilized surfaces, which in turn means you need either sbus servos or sbus to pwm hubs.
That would be a shame. Thank you for the imput though
Old 01-14-2019, 08:38 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by alfawaz
Hello everyone I would greatly appreciate some help here and any input would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to connect my cortex pro with Futaba 6014HS + smartfly micro 14F

I have total of 7 servos/surface I want to stabilize(biplane)

how do I go about connect those directly to the cortex pro?

as I understood from the manual and YouTube each channel on the pro corresponds to the same channel on the receiver. So I connect the servo at channel 1 in the number 1 port in the pro and so on. then what do I do with the 7th channel?

Then how do I connect the pro to the receiver? I assume I use the SBUS port on the receiver to connect to one of the channels on the pro?
The 6014 does not have an S-Bus port, Futaba makes a PWM to S-Bus adapter. (https://futabausa.com/?s=sbe-1). SBE-1 that you can use also. You may have to use a matchbox or similar for the 7th servo.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:13 AM
alfawaz

Originally Posted by Bob_B
The 6014 does not have an S-Bus port, Futaba makes a PWM to S-Bus adapter. (https://futabausa.com/?s=sbe-1). SBE-1 that you can use also. You may have to use a matchbox or similar for the 7th servo.

Yeah that's true. I will take a look thank you.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:13 AM
DEMONjoe

Ok, here is the easy way to go, if you are ok with using one receiver: get a S.BUS capable receiver, like a 7008SB, which supplies S.BUS and can be set to supply the upper 8 channels (9-16) through the Rx directly.
This S.BUS Rx now connects to port B on the CORTEXpro. This will enable you to have 7 control channels available through the CORTEXpro, as well as another 8 channels via the Rx directly, in case you need more options for lights, smoke, whatever.
Now these 7 channels exactly match the channels as programed in the Tx, just like you already explained yourself: CH1 is port 1....CH6 is port 6, and CH7 is port A.

If you want to safe some ports, it's ok to only stabilize one surface, which will safe 2 channels on the CORTEXpro. Makes it easier to supply power, as now you have ports for this available without using Y cables.
Power can be applied to any port from 1 thru 6, A and B.
C and D are signal pins only!

I hope this helps.

Oh, and if you want to use the 6014, you will have to use the cable loom, which will only offer ports 1-6 for 6 channels running off the CORTEXpro then.
Messing with a SBE-1 will not help, just makes it a bigger cable mess, and it still gives you the 6 channels "only" as you still run the cable loom into the CORTEXpro.

Ok, I think that's it
Old 01-16-2019, 03:52 PM
alfawaz

Originally Posted by DEMONjoe
Ok, here is the easy way to go, if you are ok with using one receiver: get a S.BUS capable receiver, like a 7008SB, which supplies S.BUS and can be set to supply the upper 8 channels (9-16) through the Rx directly.
This S.BUS Rx now connects to port B on the CORTEXpro. This will enable you to have 7 control channels available through the CORTEXpro, as well as another 8 channels via the Rx directly, in case you need more options for lights, smoke, whatever.
Now these 7 channels exactly match the channels as programed in the Tx, just like you already explained yourself: CH1 is port 1....CH6 is port 6, and CH7 is port A.

If you want to safe some ports, it's ok to only stabilize one surface, which will safe 2 channels on the CORTEXpro. Makes it easier to supply power, as now you have ports for this available without using Y cables.
Power can be applied to any port from 1 thru 6, A and B.
C and D are signal pins only!

I hope this helps.

Oh, and if you want to use the 6014, you will have to use the cable loom, which will only offer ports 1-6 for 6 channels running off the CORTEXpro then.
Messing with a SBE-1 will not help, just makes it a bigger cable mess, and it still gives you the 6 channels "only" as you still run the cable loom into the CORTEXpro.

Ok, I think that's it

Joe

This is very helpful and makes a lot of sense. Now if I do this I am thinking of getting the 7014SB receiver and like you explained I will use port B for S.BUS and ports 1-6 and A for the servos.
Now running these 7 high torque servos to the CortexPro is there any issues as far as current draw? I will be supplying all 7 servos through one servo connector that is plugged into port B ? Is there anyway around this?
Old 01-16-2019, 11:54 PM
DEMONjoe

Now running these 7 high torque servos to the CortexPro is there any issues as far as current draw? I will be supplying all 7 servos through one servo connector that is plugged into port B ? Is there anyway around this?
I would suggest to get a second source for power to the unit, not only one cable. Then you should be fine.
Oh, and be careful: I think this 7014SB only has a S.BUS2 output. You need S.BUS1 for the unit. Maybe another port can be set to output S.BUS1?

Last edited by DEMONjoe; 01-17-2019 at 02:45 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:38 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

You can input extra power via any of the servo ports. If you have used up all servo ports you can use a Y connector on one (or more) of the servo ports and input power into the second leg of the Y.

Danny
Old 01-17-2019, 05:14 AM
alfawaz

I would suggest to get a second source for power to the unit, not only one cable. Then you should be fine.
Oh, and be careful: I think this 7014SB only has a S.BUS2 output. You need S.BUS1 for the unit. Maybe another port can be set to output S.BUS1?
I just read the manual of the 7014 and you could use port DG1 as SBUS 1 you are correct. But I am still just a tiny bit confused about one thing.
If I use port B for SBUS and port 1-6 and A for 7 servos and since port C+D is only signal, where else can I supply power to the the servos?
Old 01-17-2019, 05:17 AM
alfawaz

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket
You can input extra power via any of the servo ports. If you have used up all servo ports you can use a Y connector on one (or more) of the servo ports and input power into the second leg of the Y.

Danny
Danny thanks for the comment. I would have used all servo ports on the CortexPro and using a Y isn't gonna solve anything. JR connector is the problem so supplying power to 7 high torque servos through a single JR connector going into the cortex pro that is the problem. Even if I use a Y to supply power I am still running to much current through the single JR/Futaba connector into the cortex pro
Old 01-17-2019, 05:26 AM
F1 Rocket

Danny thanks for the comment. I would have used all servo ports on the CortexPro and using a Y isn't gonna solve anything. JR connector is the problem so supplying power to 7 high torque servos through a single JR connector going into the cortex pro that is the problem. Even if I use a Y to supply power I am still running to much current through the single JR/Futaba connector into the cortex pro
You will also have the power supplied via the SBus port of the receiver. Two JR style connectors feeding the Cortex Pro via input A/B or any of the servo ports will provide more than enough power. We have been doing this since the product was introduced years ago. Even feeding (5) 500+ oz/in servos on 3D prop planes.

Danny
Old 01-17-2019, 05:28 AM
alfawaz

You will also have the power supplied via the SBus port of the receiver. Two JR style connectors feeding the Cortex Pro via input A/B or any of the servo ports will provide more than enough power. We have been doing this since the product was introduced years ago. Even feeding (5) 500+ oz/in servos on 3D prop planes.

Danny
I will be using 7 servos so that is (port 1-6 and port A) port B will be for the SBUS and that is my only source of power so far for the 7 servos. Port C and D are signal only like Joe explained.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:58 AM
DEMONjoe

So use a Y cable e.g. on port 6 and connect power to one side, the servo to the other.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:08 AM
alfawaz

So use a Y cable e.g. on port 6 and connect power to one side, the servo to the other.

Copy that thank you.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:01 PM
alfawaz

Danny and Joe I apologize but I need to bug you guys again
So forget all we talked about already lol ! I decided not to use it on the 100cc until I get a power distribution board for it just to be in the safe side. However, I decided I would put it in a 70cc with 5 surfaces and I could supply sufficient power to it without compromising anything. So here is the deal, I am having trouble setting up the gyro I did everything like in the manual. I am using a single 7008SB receiver I connected it to the Cortex using SBUS port and port B on the cortex also connected the channels like in the radio 1-4 then skipped 5 and used 6 because I am using channel 5 on the receiver for the throttle. I plugged in two aileron, two elevators and a rudder. After teaching the cortex the protocol I get the correct LED light for it (slow blue blinking) However I cannot move any of the surfaces, and when I do the gyro setup the cortex doesn't detect any stick movement. So after I turn it on I get one green then couple of reds and then two greens and the surfaces move, I move aileron to the right and wait for about 20 seconds then I get another 2 greens (I am supposed to get one?) Nonetheless I keep following the procedure until I get to elevators the system times out and nothing happens. I tried this couple of time I checked all my wires over and over again and same thing happens every time. The only thing I could think of is the orientation of the cortex I have it reversed and I connected it to the computer and changed the orientation like I have it and changed the Servo signal to 333 hz the signal still shows Spektrum. So when I reconnect the cortex it still shows Analog for servos and the orientation goes back to original and the signal still at Spektrum. Is this my issue ? Or what is exactly going on?

So what I am asking is why am I not able to do the stup for the surfaces? and why doesn't the my cortex save the changes I am trying to apply to it?
Thank you for any help this is my first cortex and I am just trying to get over the learning curve.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:15 AM
F1 Rocket

Sounds like the Cortex Pro is not detecting the SBus input correctly. Please double check your wiring and receiver configuration. It should be SBus, not SBus 2. If you are in North America you can contact me directly. I’m certain I can help get this sorted out.

Danny
407-687-3126
Old 01-18-2019, 06:16 AM
DEMONjoe

So after you carried out the signal teach-in and get the blue slower blink: when you now connect to the software, it tells you it's on Spektrum sats? Did I get this right?
Which port are you using for S.BUS on the 7008SB? In case it has an S.BUS2 port, do not use this, but the output for S.BUS1 (may be something like port 8, see the Rx manual for this).

And of course you are correct: once the double green blink comes up in the stick teach-in part, you move aileron right and hold, and within a very short time the single green blink must confirm this input, and you move on to aileron left and hold (HOLDING the stick is very important too!).
It must work like this.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:11 AM
alfawaz

Sounds like the Cortex Pro is not detecting the SBus input correctly. Please double check your wiring and receiver configuration. It should be SBus, not SBus 2. If you are in North America you can contact me directly. I’m certain I can help get this sorted out.

Danny
407-687-3126
Sounds good I will. Give you a call later today once I get to my shop. Thank you

So after you carried out the signal teach-in and get the blue slower blink: when you now connect to the software, it tells you it's on Spektrum sats? Did I get this right?
Which port are you using for S.BUS on the 7008SB? In case it has an S.BUS2 port, do not use this, but the output for S.BUS1 (may be something like port 8, see the Rx manual for this).

And of course you are correct: once the double green blink comes up in the stick teach-in part, you move aileron right and hold, and within a very short time the single green blink must confirm this input, and you move on to aileron left and hold (HOLDING the stick is very important too!).
It must work like this.
Joe that’s correct I have it plugged in port 8/SB not SBUS2 port. But since you mentioned this I might need to change the receiver mode to B. I will give this a try today before calling Danny. And yes after I carry out the signal teach in and plug the gyro it would still show Spektrum satellite. I will double check the mode on the receiver and try to carry out the setup and either report back or call Danny if it doesn’t work. Thank you.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:42 PM
alfawaz

Guys I really appreciate all the help. Apparently it wasn’t detecting my signal correctly because the receiver was on mode 1 which provides 1-8 channels whereas mode 2 is 1-7 and number 8 is SBUS I carried out the setup and it worked perfectly. Then I plugged the cortex pro to the software and was able to change the frame rate of the servos and I was able to change the orientation of the gyro. So all good now. Thank you again.

One thing I am not sure on is how the end points on Futaba translate to the gyro gain. With Futaba end points start at 30 and go up to 140 for both ends. So what does this translate to? Does the 30 translate to 0 gain and 140 translate to 100% gain? So if I wanted 20% gain on Bank 1 and Bank 2 what should I set my endpoints to?
Old 01-18-2019, 02:13 PM
F1 Rocket

Connect the Cortex Pro to your PC and read the gain dial on the Diagnose page while you are adjusting the end points in your TX. This will give you a good idea of how the numbers in the TX look compared to what the Cortex Pro is actually seeing from the radio system.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:17 PM
alfawaz

Connect the Cortex Pro to your PC and read the gain dial on the Diagnose page while you are adjusting the end points in your TX. This will give you a good idea of how the numbers in the TX look compared to what the Cortex Pro is actually seeing from the radio system.
sounds good I will give that a try. Thank you again.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:13 AM
DEMONjoe

Guys I really appreciate all the help. Apparently it wasn’t detecting my signal correctly because the receiver was on mode 1 which provides 1-8 channels whereas mode 2 is 1-7 and number 8 is SBUS I carried out the setup and it worked perfectly. Then I plugged the cortex pro to the software and was able to change the frame rate of the servos and I was able to change the orientation of the gyro. So all good now. Thank you again.

Yes, that's the typical thing.
There should also be a mode where channel 8 outputs S.BUS and 1-7 output higher channels like 9-...
Just in case you need more channels, take a look at the RX's manual. It should be in there if available.

One thing I am not sure on is how the end points on Futaba translate to the gyro gain. With Futaba end points start at 30 and go up to 140 for both ends. So what does this translate to? Does the 30 translate to 0 gain and 140 translate to 100% gain? So if I wanted 20% gain on Bank 1 and Bank 2 what should I set my endpoints to?
What you talk about are the endpoints you can set in the TX. center signal in the radio is 0% gain (OFF) on the CORTEXpro.
All the rest maybe will not match exactly. In the past, Futaba used to have what we called the 20% loss, meaning that 100% on the radio was around 80% in real, so 125% on the radio was real 100% in our Diagnose. Other brands had similar differences, like 135% was 100% with Spektrum, and so on, and it took long until they all started to change this.
So I cannot tell what you radio will do, but as Danny suggested, simply look at the Diagnose page and you will see. No big deal. In the end it's not the value that's of real interest, but the way the plane behaves in the air.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:49 PM
alfawaz

Yes, that's the typical thing.
There should also be a mode where channel 8 outputs S.BUS and 1-7 output higher channels like 9-...
Just in case you need more channels, take a look at the RX's manual. It should be in there if available.

What you talk about are the endpoints you can set in the TX. center signal in the radio is 0% gain (OFF) on the CORTEXpro.
All the rest maybe will not match exactly. In the past, Futaba used to have what we called the 20% loss, meaning that 100% on the radio was around 80% in real, so 125% on the radio was real 100% in our Diagnose. Other brands had similar differences, like 135% was 100% with Spektrum, and so on, and it took long until they all started to change this.
So I cannot tell what you radio will do, but as Danny suggested, simply look at the Diagnose page and you will see. No big deal. In the end it's not the value that's of real interest, but the way the plane behaves in the air.
Sounds good thank you so much for all the help
Old 01-28-2019, 05:02 PM
PREACHHAMES
My Feedback: (58)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Received a Cortex Pro in trade & tried to set it up in an airframe.

Hooked it up per the manual, turned everything on, & the light continuously flashes red.

If you plug in the jumper, the light continues flashing red...just a little brighter.

Any ideas???
Old 01-28-2019, 05:07 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Did you read the instructions?
Old 01-28-2019, 06:49 PM
PREACHHAMES
My Feedback: (58)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Bob B,

When I stated that I "Hooked it up per the manual"...

I meant that I followed the instructions as laid out in the Bavarian Cortex Pro Instruction Manual.

I read the instructions (beginning on page 3 of the manual with 'PRELIMINARY INFORMATION') then began the setup which begins on page 6 of the manual under the heading 'START-UP'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.