Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Introducing the Top RC Model Odyssey - New sport jet - build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Introducing the Top RC Model Odyssey - New sport jet - build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 04:23 PM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IFLY3W
Bought my Odyssey off my buddy Taildragger RC. Had 1 flight on it. I have 2 issues with mine, not blaming Chad or anything like that. Not my style.

Issue 1 is that the canopy blew off in flight, during my waiver flight. Found the canopy, and had a little tape helping hold the canopy on, but it again, blew off in flight. In the same maneuver, a half Cuban 8, with the half roll to the right. One my 2nd flight, I did a 4 pt roll as well as a full roll to the right and did not have any issues...

Issue 2, the right main goes up, only so far, and then stops. I flip the airplane over on the stand, and the gear retracts completely, but does not extend fully. It needs assistance by hand.

Other than that, the Odyssey flys great!! Has a KingTech 120 in it, with all Xpert A2 servos and my JR DMSS 11ch PS Rx.
This kept happening to me when I took off the front gear door.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:07 PM
alfawaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One solution to all of you struggling with the door for the nose gear.
Drill new holes for screws holding the springs little bit more towards the bottom of the airplane. What you want to do is have the springs actually expanded a little bit when for fully opened and it will expand more when closed this solved my issue mainly. But also the ball link holding the door in place is binding with your hinge the part that is not used, I used a sharp knife to cut it out so the ball link doesn’t bind with the door hinge. This allowed the door to function as it should on my odyssey
Old 08-12-2018, 08:04 PM
Daveeast

Originally Posted by erh7771
This kept happening to me when I took off the front gear door.
, Not sure the nose gear issues help with the main gear! that sounds like a weak motor.

On the nose gear, I found the spring tension was too high on the door and causing it to stop travel, due to overvolts as it should. I stretched the springs then they became slack and wouldn't pull the door tight. So I tightened the spring closest to the door arm by twisting it a little. Works great.

Had one canopy blow off on takeoff roll, aborted. Put that down to not double checking the latch was fully secured.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:50 PM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daveeast
, Not sure the nose gear issues help with the main gear! that sounds like a weak motor...
I'm referring to the canopy blowing off
Old 08-13-2018, 10:25 PM
Daveeast

Default Nose gear and canopies

sorry I was answering both threads
Old 08-14-2018, 10:01 AM
alfawaz

Sorry for the confusion I might have caused. I was just talking about the nose gear door as separate subject and how I solved it on mine because couple people complained about it earlier. I didn’t mean it will solve issues of main gear or canopy blowing off.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:37 PM
IFLY3W
My Feedback: (5)

Sorry, I have been away from any and everything RC related since my weekend of getting my waiver. I did receiver my new AMA card with Turbine Fixed, on it. Its cool!!!

We did remedy my nose gear door issue at the field, day of. We increased spring tension for the gear door. After we did that, the nose gear has worked flawlessly. We cycled the nose gear 50 times.

I did call Mike at Gator RC today, about the chances of getting a canopy for my Odyssey. He said, that he does not keep spare parts in stock, as there are just too many paint schemes for the Odyssey, 19!! I'd love to see them all!! But, he will be getting me a quote on a canopy and a set of stabs. Hopefully, its not too expensive.

So, hopefully soon enough, I'll have a solution on my canopy and main gear issue. Someone asked about if the latch was fully inserted, yes it was. I checked it 2x before I taxied out, as well as placed a piece of Gorilla tape behind the latch handle. I had 11 or 12 people overlooking me with the canopy. The canopy was taped down in the front, as well as behind the latch. The tape behind the latch was undamaged or wrinkled when I landed. So, I feel like that the canopy may have ballooned in flight and ejected that way.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:58 PM
HiCurrent

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default canopy

Originally Posted by IFLY3W
Sorry, I have been away from any and everything RC related since my weekend of getting my waiver. I did receiver my new AMA card with Turbine Fixed, on it. Its cool!!!

We did remedy my nose gear door issue at the field, day of. We increased spring tension for the gear door. After we did that, the nose gear has worked flawlessly. We cycled the nose gear 50 times.

I did call Mike at Gator RC today, about the chances of getting a canopy for my Odyssey. He said, that he does not keep spare parts in stock, as there are just too many paint schemes for the Odyssey, 19!! I'd love to see them all!! But, he will be getting me a quote on a canopy and a set of stabs. Hopefully, its not too expensive.

So, hopefully soon enough, I'll have a solution on my canopy and main gear issue. Someone asked about if the latch was fully inserted, yes it was. I checked it 2x before I taxied out, as well as placed a piece of Gorilla tape behind the latch handle. I had 11 or 12 people overlooking me with the canopy. The canopy was taped down in the front, as well as behind the latch. The tape behind the latch was undamaged or wrinkled when I landed. So, I feel like that the canopy may have ballooned in flight and ejected that way.

I think your plane flexed around the canopy area during those maneuvers that's why it popped out.
I would put a carbon fiber strip along the hatch area. Those are the stress point. All skymaster planes have the carbon strips in this area.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:25 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Flying the TopRC Model Odyssey Sport Jet yesterday morning in Mevo Horon.
The Odyssey has to be one of my all time favorite Sport Jets - so smooth and graceful in flight, really easy to fly and forgiving - absolutely great flying qualities.

TopRC Model Odyssey
ATJ 140SV Turbine
#BlueBird BLS-3507 Servos
Emcotec DPSI RC Mini 5
Cortex Pro
CNHL batteries
Futaba 18MZ Radio will soon be replaced by FRSKY Horus X10S

Video by Maor Keidar

Old 08-26-2018, 10:31 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Nice job Lior!
Old 09-13-2018, 03:44 AM
Levi Wags

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey team. Does anyone make wing bags for the Odyssey?
Old 09-13-2018, 03:58 AM
dynaudio79

Shop revoc for example
Old 09-13-2018, 06:34 AM
alfawaz

I bought wing bags from valley view Rc size is good doesn’t fit the shape of the wings perfectly but good enough
Old 09-13-2018, 12:44 PM
Levi Wags

Thanks guys I’ll take a look.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:50 PM
emart

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The large hobby king bags also work well
Old 09-14-2018, 03:09 AM
Levi Wags

Thanks emart
Old 09-18-2018, 05:51 AM
i3dm

Originally Posted by emart
The large hobby king bags also work well

These are good:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...___store=en_us
Old 09-18-2018, 05:52 AM
i3dm

Jetpower 2018 is a wrap!

I was super excited and privileged to fly for TopRC Model and display my Odyssey.

Here are videos of flight #2 and #3 of the event. hope you like them!

Old 09-19-2018, 03:10 AM
Levi Wags

Originally Posted by i3dm
Jetpower 2018 is a wrap!

I was super excited and privileged to fly for TopRC Model and display my Odyssey.

Here are videos of flight #2 and #3 of the event. hope you like them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eJhPw5vBzs&t=206s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld1f03M5ni8&t=5s
Great flying as usual Lior. Love the roll TO. Thanks for the link to the wing bags. I just ordered a set 👍🏻
Old 09-29-2018, 07:40 AM
Daveeast

Default New Season Overhaul.

Having flown my Ody on a BF100F last year, which was fine but not rocket ship performance and an upgrade was certainly in order. As I support Jet Central in the Middle East, no-brainer CHEETAH. Proven already by many of our friends on this thread, what's not to love about it. A 160 that is the size of a 140 and Simple Equipment installation (SE) ECU and pumps in one box. A Life Time Warranty with flat rate overhauls, brilliant. Anyhoo, a few pictures from the shop

:
The Jet Central SE install and the smoke system.

New Kevlar tanks from Carlos, nice job.

So now no UAT in the front, because the Cheetah is so much lighter than the BF100F the C of G is the same, but actually the aircraft is lighter.

If you need standoff plates, Jet Central Actually make them, check out my Rcflyersuae.com e-shop.

Get the balance right, use Xicoy balance machine.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:19 PM
LewisE1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What settings are people using as a good starting point ?

thanks
Old 10-27-2018, 12:29 PM
i3dm

Originally Posted by LewisE1
What settings are people using as a good starting point ?

thanks
adding a copy of my post:

Hello Guys,

i would like to share my CG / Throws settings for the Odyssey Sport Jet. these settings would help anyone who is building one have a good starting point.

Note: All measurements are taken at control surface root.

Ailerons: 28mm both ways (will probably add some differential in the future), 45% Expo
Elevator: 28mm both ways, 30% Expo
Rudder: 50mm both ways, 30% Expo
Flaps Takeoff: 25mm with 2mm down elevator compensation
Flaps Landing: 80mm with 4mm down elevator compensation
Cortex Gyro gain: 60%

CG: currently 220mm back from leading edge at wing root, i recommend starting with 215mm.

Total weight with UAT full, full cockpit + pilot figure, 5000 mAh 2S Lipo hardcase Turbine battery and two 2200mAh 2S Lipo Rx batteries - 13.97Kg.

For me these settings make a very easy to fly, very predictable Jet.
I do hope they help others as well.
Thanks for reading,
Lior Zahavi

Edit 16/12/17:
I have tested crow mix with full flaps and it works very well on the Odyssey, and these are the numbers:
with full flaps applied, the ailerons go UP 12.5mm (measured at root) and elevator compensation increases to 7mm down measured at root.

this gives you much more drag, model descends and slows down faster and stall speed is even lower - it works great and is highly recommended.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:33 PM
LewisE1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you, winter days are allowing me to finish this model finally
Old 10-28-2018, 01:34 AM
Swissy

Originally Posted by i3dm
adding a copy of my post:
…..
For me these settings make a very easy to fly, very predictable Jet.
I do hope they help others as well.
Thanks for reading,
Lior Zahavi

Edit 16/12/17:
I have tested crow mix with full flaps and it works very well on the Odyssey, and these are the numbers:
with full flaps applied, the ailerons go UP 12.5mm (measured at root) and elevator compensation increases to 7mm down measured at root.

this gives you much more drag, model descends and slows down faster and stall speed is even lower - it works great and is highly recommended.
Hi Lior
We programmed my Odyssey as per the settings you indicated, Crow mix inclusive. Everything worked fine and the maiden was successful! Thanks again Lior!
Greetings from Switzerland, Daniel

My 'Odyssey' gets prepared for the maiden flight!

Last edited by Swissy; 10-28-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:36 AM
i3dm

Originally Posted by Swissy
Hi Lior
We programmed my Odyssey as per the settings you indicated, Crow mix inclusive. Everything worked fine and the maiden was successful! Thanks again Lior!
What about the batteries for gear and brake?
Greetings from Switzerland, Daniel

My 'Odyssey' gets prepared for the maiden flight!
Very happy to hear it.
the gear and brake battery needs to be 2S lipo.. im using a single 5000mAh 2S lipo for turbine and gear together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.