Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Introducing the Top RC Model Odyssey - New sport jet - build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Introducing the Top RC Model Odyssey - New sport jet - build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 10:24 PM
AshC01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My JM 140XBL was perfectly centre of thrust tube, so cant help you there.

I used the rates as per i3dm few pages back, good all round rates. i have them as middle rate, a cut down version as low rates, and a little bit more on high rates. i set up 3 rates on all my planes, incase i let other people have a fly, introduce them to jets, let them have a go on low rates.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:15 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevem9
Hi everyone getting closer to being able to fly mine. did any of you guys have to shim up the turbine to be centered in the tailpipe? im using a KT160 in mine. Also does anyone have some recommended setting for dual rates?
check out my post with all the rates, should make a good starting point.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:50 AM
Stevem9

Originally Posted by AshC01
My JM 140XBL was perfectly centre of thrust tube, so cant help you there.

I used the rates as per i3dm few pages back, good all round rates. i have them as middle rate, a cut down version as low rates, and a little bit more on high rates. i set up 3 rates on all my planes, incase i let other people have a fly, introduce them to jets, let them have a go on low rates.
I figured out my turbine/tail pipe, just needed 1/8 shims under the flanges which makes sense if you were using a turbine that a little narrower than the rails than it gives you the ability make mounting plates.

do you use any expo on low rates?
Old 06-27-2018, 08:55 AM
i3dm

i strongly suggest the use of expo on any jet in any of the rates.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:11 PM
AshC01

Yes, i have about ~20-30% expo on middle rates (rates provided by i3dm), obviously on high rates expo increased to around 30-40%.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:09 AM
Stevem9

awesome thanks guys!
Old 07-12-2018, 10:04 AM
Marcelo Assis
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone tell me which eletric landing gears besides the LG System offered bu Tpo RC Model fits this plane?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:07 AM
clavin
My Feedback: (6)

Default Electron

www.electron-retracts.com they have a bundle setup for it
Old 07-12-2018, 10:17 AM
Marcelo Assis

Originally Posted by clavin
Do you know the struts length?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:24 AM
n715tm
My Feedback: (16)

Default Electron Gear

Originally Posted by clavin
I have the Electron gear for this plane as I could not get the stock gear at the time of ordering the jet. Some slight modifications need to be made to the main gear mounting plates (I made new ones and attached to the original mounts). The nose gear needed a small standoff glued to the gear leg to allow for the gear door to close all the way. The electron gear are nice as they have adjustable offset angles and allow for it adapt nicely. All this being said, if the stock gear were available I would have gone that route as the electrons required modifications to the jet.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:33 PM
AshC01

Able to post some pics of the required mod? I’m thinking about going Electron for my odyssey.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:34 PM
Swissy

Hi all
I today read about a very concerning incident on the fuselage of an Odyssey Jet. This in the German RC-Network.de - Automatische Weiterleitung forum.
For those of you who speak German here the direct link:

'Odyssey'-Jet von 'Top RC-Model' - Seite 26

Apparently the fuselage of the plane cracked under overstress in flight. I wouldn't want to raise doubts about the statement of the guy who posted these news
but I am a bit sceptic that the aerodynamic forces were the only reason of the damage. Might be that the end of the fuselage touched the runway on landing...
Did anybody know or hear about this damage?
The picture below was taken by HRO-MC22 (member of RCN Forum) and the plane is the one of his friend. Hope it is ok for him if I upload these pictures…
As a precaution his own plane was reinforced as shown on the second picture.
Turbine by the way was a 'Jetcat 140'. I mean Lior and his friends have many flights on their Odysseys, so do you guys from the States and South Africa...
What do you think?
Regards, Swissy
Old 07-16-2018, 05:56 PM
horsefeetky

looks like a kangaroo hop on landing did in the tail

mine looks more than stout in the fuse sides to handle flying with a 140
Old 07-17-2018, 02:49 AM
extra 300

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This looks like a one off issue... Definitely not a general problem.... it looks like this fuselage has been taking some beating prior to revealing the cracks!!!
Just a thought...
Old 07-19-2018, 11:07 AM
alfawaz

Originally Posted by n715tm
I have the Electron gear for this plane as I could not get the stock gear at the time of ordering the jet. Some slight modifications need to be made to the main gear mounting plates (I made new ones and attached to the original mounts). The nose gear needed a small standoff glued to the gear leg to allow for the gear door to close all the way. The electron gear are nice as they have adjustable offset angles and allow for it adapt nicely. All this being said, if the stock gear were available I would have gone that route as the electrons required modifications to the jet.
I second that if I had to do it again I would order the stock gear. It is less expensive and fits perfectly. I have the electron and they are nice but they are inverted so the wheel is pointing towards the fuse instead of out and had to add risers to it. You could still order the stock LG from sky toys in Israel and with shipping it is still way cheaper than electron.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:07 AM
i3dm

Originally Posted by alfawaz

I second that if I had to do it again I would order the stock gear. It is less expensive and fits perfectly. I have the electron and they are nice but they are inverted so the wheel is pointing towards the fuse instead of out and had to add risers to it. You could still order the stock LG from sky toys in Israel and with shipping it is still way cheaper than electron.
i honestly really enjoy my stock gear.
best price/performance ratio on the market.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:09 AM
Desert Fox 1

Received 176 Likes on 140 Posts

Cheers!
Desert Fox 1
Old 08-02-2018, 07:40 AM
dynaudio79

Very nice flight
Old 08-02-2018, 11:32 PM
Swissy

Nicely flown and good video work, thanks!
Old 08-05-2018, 12:47 PM
IFLY3W
My Feedback: (5)

Bought my Odyssey off my buddy Taildragger RC. Had 1 flight on it. I have 2 issues with mine, not blaming Chad or anything like that. Not my style.

Issue 1 is that the canopy blew off in flight, during my waiver flight. Found the canopy, and had a little tape helping hold the canopy on, but it again, blew off in flight. In the same maneuver, a half Cuban 8, with the half roll to the right. One my 2nd flight, I did a 4 pt roll as well as a full roll to the right and did not have any issues...

Issue 2, the right main goes up, only so far, and then stops. I flip the airplane over on the stand, and the gear retracts completely, but does not extend fully. It needs assistance by hand.

Other than that, the Odyssey flys great!! Has a KingTech 120 in it, with all Xpert A2 servos and my JR DMSS 11ch PS Rx.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:49 PM
horsefeetky

plug and unplug the retract a few times from the power board. it may just have some corrosion setup. chad did not fly it but once and it was in his garage for a year.. the board senses amp drap when to stop action both up and down. you may need to grease it up too. last try to back mounting screws off a tad and see if it works well if so you will have to shim under one corner or two so the final tighness doesnt warp the mount flange enough to cause a bind..

as for the canopy do you think your latch didnt engauge all the way when in you put it in place for flight. maybe the pin is too short.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:15 PM
synergy41

Hello everyone,
Has anyone ever put a light kit of this style.
lights
If so how did you pass the wires in the wings.
Thank you for your answers.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:26 AM
Swissy

Bonjour
Je suppose tu parles français! Oui, j'ai monté cette sorte d'illumination dans mon PC-21 de Planet Hobby. Le tout marche sans fautes et c'est surtout facile à programmer. Quant aux séquences tu as maintes possibilites.
Pour passer le cable/ fil dans l'aile tu prends un fil à fer, tu y fixe ton cable avec un peu de scotch et tu le tire à travers l'aile.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:43 AM
synergy41

Thank you for your answer,
But I speak of this jet in particular to provide if someone had the position of the reinforcements in the wing of this model of jet.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:35 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by IFLY3W
Issue 1 is that the canopy blew off in flight, during my waiver flight. Found the canopy, and had a little tape helping hold the canopy on, but it again, blew off in flight. In the same maneuver, a half Cuban 8, with the half roll to the right. One my 2nd flight, I did a 4 pt roll as well as a full roll to the right and did not have any issues...
Agree with the gear tips. I put magnets on the inside of the canopy frame and Fuse. I had their P-51 canopy fly off on its first flight. So I did magnets to help support it when closed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.