Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Introducing the Top RC Model Odyssey - New sport jet - build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Introducing the Top RC Model Odyssey - New sport jet - build thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 12:01 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by horsefeetky
where can i get the festo bulkhead fitting you placed in the fuse bottom for air vent use..
Skytoys - Homepage

how are the tires holding up on yours. i got to see one in person new and they felt like very solid rubber ones no flex or hollowness to them.
the tires are awesome - i absolutely love solid tires, they dont wear out or flatten out easily!

also the servo extensions you use have a clip end on them where are they purchased from
www.skytoysrc.com
Old 11-10-2017, 06:45 PM
horsefeetky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i3dm

i just placed my order for an odyssey in same colors as yours. very nice build thread.

questions

1 sky toys does not show the tank fittings on the web site now. any other places to get these great fittings from

2 what tank brand and size did you find fits the area above intake for smoke fluid use.

3 what size pilot will fit the cockpit well. maybe measure his height from seat to top of helmet i can go from there

4 are you happy with the bluebird servos.......price is very nice on these i may choose them also

5 any thoughts on throws and cg changes from the factory specs once flown. also any tips for gyro use i may install an aura8 in mine any thoughts on settings high or low per axis.

thanks in advance for any help to make things go well for my build and flight.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:48 AM
Swissy

Hi horsefeekty

Some of your questions were already answered here by Lior:

> tank fittings (post # 70): the brand ist 'FCT' of Saleem Siddique (facebook)
I do not know where you live but in Europe you can finde similar tank fittings at Final-Modellbau in Germany:
https://www.final-modellbau.de/de/zu...-schlauch.html
In general all the Festo-parts are more common here in Europe

> settings as corrected and flown by Lior: post # 91

Greetings, Daniel

Last edited by Swissy; 11-11-2017 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:05 PM
i3dm

i3dmi just placed my order for an odyssey in same colors as yours. very nice build thread.questions1 sky toys does not show the tank fittings on the web site now. any other places to get these great fittings from2 what tank brand and size did you find fits the area above intake for smoke fluid use.3 what size pilot will fit the cockpit well. maybe measure his height from seat to top of helmet i can go from there4 are you happy with the bluebird servos.......price is very nice on these i may choose them also5 any thoughts on throws and cg changes from the factory specs once flown. also any tips for gyro use i may install an aura8 in mine any thoughts on settings high or low per axis.thanks in advance for any help to make things go well for my build and flight.
Hello my friend,
thank you for the kind words - it was a lot of fun making this build thread for this Exciting Sport Jet!
1. from Saleem Siddique on Facebook (FCT boss).
2. Dubro 950ml as smoke tank.
3. 1/6 scale, i got mine here, its made by TopRC for their jets: full body pilot 1/6 scale - i know theyre out of stock but he has a large amount arriving soon so im sure you can email and order one.
4. i am very happy with my BB servos - best bang for the buck for sure! performance is awesome! you will not be disappointed with them, supower powerful, precise and quiet. i got mine here: BlueBird BLS-3507
5. i have it all written here in the thread, post #91 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...l#post12321348
i use a cortex and will never fly a jet without it once i know how good it is.

Last edited by i3dm; 11-11-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:20 AM
Swissy

Hello Lior and all others
May I ask you if you installed the tubing of your tanks as mentioned in the manual? I have read many diffrent opinions about how to install two main tanks to a hopper and the correct linking (parallel or in series).
If I am right and as I saw on the pictures you linked the upper tank with one single tube to the lower tank and the overflow of the whole system is one only vent on the upper tank going down to the bottom of the plane. Refuelling is then done through the hopper tank.
I intend to use no felt clunks in the main tanks. Original (Intairco) filter in the UAT (Hopper) only and a additional filter nearby the turbine.
Did you use the original and supplied tank tubing? I read that in general people prefer brass tube of 6mm (Inner diammetre 5mm) for turbines over 10kgs. The supplied tubing is of 4mm outer- and 3mm Inner-diameter. If one wants to change this the supplied tank clunk, tubing, plug and metal washers cannot be used (holes too big)
What system do you use when filling/ closing the refuelling tube?
On youtube I saw a 'Odyssey' flying with a turbine of 8kg thrust. In my case/ opinion and as a rookie I think a turbine of 12 kgs would do... Ok?
Thanks for your help, Daniel
Old 11-12-2017, 12:47 PM
i3dm

Daniel,

the stock tubing is just fine - we have several of them flying like this with 140 size turbines.

my tanks are connected in series.

12kg would be perfect for you.

hope i helped
Old 11-22-2017, 01:40 AM
Swissy

Hello Lior and others
I now started works on my Odyssey. One more question:
In your post # 51 we could see the placing/ installation of the fuel tanks. Did you put the smoker tank, the Dubro 950ml one, in the free space on top of the two fuel tanks?
Thank you for your reply and greetings from Switzerland, Daniel
Old 11-22-2017, 01:55 AM
i3dm

Originally Posted by Swissy
Hello Lior and others
I now started works on my Odyssey. One more question:
In your post # 51 we could see the placing/ installation of the fuel tanks. Did you put the smoker tank, the Dubro 950ml one, in the free space on top of the two fuel tanks?
Thank you for your reply and greetings from Switzerland, Daniel
Yes thats correct.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:58 AM
Swissy

Hello all
Work on my Odyssey goes on smoothly. All the rudder horns were painted and glued in, the slots in the elevator cut successfully. This demands quite some measuring...
I would like to call your attention to the quality of the rods that are supplied. (Ailerons, flaps, elevator and rudder)
In my opinion the threads on these are of very poor quality. I don't know how these were fabricated but the hold of the ball links on the threaded rods will not be sufficient at all! Using these items could end in a serious security problem!
In my case I bought a threaded bar of high quality steel and this in M3. Also the ball links I fitted are M3 and of a better quality. It makes no sense in mounting higher priced quality or/ and high torque servos if you use the rods supplied...
Greetings, Daniel

Last edited by Swissy; 12-10-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:50 AM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree on the control rods they are of poor thread quality. I used 4-40 rods threaded on both ends by die and drilled the ball links to match.
. I maidened mine a few weeks ago and all went smoothly. I got he Blue scheme and it was a bit hard to see at distance. I am considering getting the Honda scheme just for visibility reasons.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:19 AM
Swissy

Originally Posted by TimD.
...I maidened mine a few weeks ago and all went smoothly. I got he Blue scheme and it was a bit hard to see at distance. I am considering getting the Honda scheme just for visibility reasons.
Hi Tim congrats to the maiden! The blue/ white schemes are indeed rather hard to see, have a MXS in these colours!
What turbine did you install? 12 or 14 kgs?

Greets, Daniel
Old 12-11-2017, 04:24 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a K-140 in mine.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:03 AM
i3dm

Congrats on the maiden Tim !
Old 12-12-2017, 05:41 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

After seeing Tim's fly I have to say I'm pretty impressed
Old 12-12-2017, 07:07 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Maiden day for TimD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7523.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	851.3 KB
ID:	2247516   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7550.JPG
Views:	471
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2247517   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7546.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	871.4 KB
ID:	2247518  
Old 12-12-2017, 07:18 AM
i3dm

Hello Guys,

In our last jet meeting in Israel we had a chance to expiriement with CROW (Camber) mix onthe odyssey.
for those not fimiliar with it, its a mix that moves both ailerons center point to trailing edge up, once flaps are lowered to the landing position. this causes a few effects:
1. pitch up that needs to be corrected with down elevator compensation - even more drag.
2. less chance of a tip stall.
3. slower touch down speed.
4. slower landing approach.
5. easier to slow down due to the extra drag.

i can not emphesize how good it worked - the odyssey slowed down much faster and landed at a crawl. i will ask my buddy Shaul (whom on his Odyssey we tested) to provide all the numbers and i will post them on here for you all to enjoy hopefully.

Lior.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:30 AM
i3dm

Originally Posted by i3dm
Hello Guys,

In our last jet meeting in Israel we had a chance to expiriement with CROW (Camber) mix onthe odyssey.
for those not fimiliar with it, its a mix that moves both ailerons center point to trailing edge up, once flaps are lowered to the landing position. this causes a few effects:
1. pitch up that needs to be corrected with down elevator compensation - even more drag.

i can not emphesize how good it worked - the odyssey slowed down much faster and landed at a crawl. i will ask my buddy Shaul (whom on his Odyssey we tested) to provide all the numbers and i will post them on here for you all to enjoy hopefully.

Lior.
Here is one example:
Old 12-12-2017, 07:38 AM
MikePS

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Maiden day for TimD
Nice pics Andy!
Old 12-12-2017, 10:42 AM
DARKHAN

Hi guys,

i have an Odyssey (never flown yet) and have a question about the brakes : do you use 2S LIPO or 3S ?
I find the power very low with 2S !

Regards from France.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:20 AM
i3dm

Originally Posted by DARKHAN
Hi guys,

i have an Odyssey (never flown yet) and have a question about the brakes : do you use 2S LIPO or 3S ?
I find the power very low with 2S !

Regards from France.
the current stock gear controller uses 2S only.
the new generation controller will handle 3S - and will come stock with all future kits.
pic atttached.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	toprc controller.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	2247527  

Last edited by i3dm; 12-13-2017 at 01:28 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:28 AM
DARKHAN

Thanks for your answer.
On my brake controler it’s written 7,4 V / 11.1 V so I think it can handle 3S but it’s not the one shown ?
Old 12-12-2017, 09:53 PM
i3dm

Thanks for your answer.
On my brake controler it’s written 7,4 V / 11.1 V so I think it can handle 3S but it’s not the one shown ?
I asked Henry from TopRC and he replied that it is OK.

Last edited by i3dm; 12-12-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:12 PM
DARKHAN

Ok but you use 2S and are satisfied with braking force ? Me not...
Old 12-13-2017, 01:13 AM
Swissy

Originally Posted by i3dm
Hello Guys,

Lior.
Hello Lior
Thank you for testing these settings! Would appreciate if you could supply the travels im mm once the testings will be accomplished!
Greets from Switzerland, Daniel
Old 12-13-2017, 01:23 AM
i3dm

Ok but you use 2S and are satisfied with braking force ? Me not...
its not very strong but for me its really OK - i dont like very strong brakes.
but you can try them on 3S and see if that gives you more power - it should.

Originally Posted by Swissy
Hello Lior
Thank you for testing these settings! Would appreciate if you could supply the travels im mm once the testings will be accomplished!
Greets from Switzerland, Daniel
Yes i will publish all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.