Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:20 PM
cyborg1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

I lined mine with balsa. It's post #3473, page 139. Hope it works for you as well. I painted the balsa grey to match the monokote.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

I have had my Bobcat for a year now. I have never seen a plane so difficult to land. Take off is no problem and it flys like a dream. Very fast and on rails. I have never had a good landing with this plane. The plane weighs 9lbs. It has retracts and brakes. On-board glow. The engine is a OS 65 VR ducted fan motor, rear rotor intake, full length tuned pipe, reversed clock wise rotation. A sport APC 11x8 prop turning 14,000 rpm. CG is 10.5.
I am going to move the cg forward .5" (nose heavy) to see if I can tame this landing down.
If anyone has the magic pill please lay it on me. I'm tired of repairing this thing...
Old 06-23-2009, 12:46 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whenever I have a difficult to land airframe without flaps nine times out of ten the cure is to put reflex ailerons on the throttle stick i.e. in a landing condition on the Tx at low throttle both ailerons go up, these act as spoilers so reducing lift and goes a long way to tamming a bounce prone landing they also add washout to the wing and so offset tip stalling, so it can also land slower, in the first instance only put about 1/4" of up on and try at hight to see how it effects the flight path and just keep on experimenting with reflex and tailplane trim till you get an approuch that you like.  My Jets have them set up to over 3/4" with full flap 90 degs and 1/4" down elevator this allows landing in a very small space and at a silly low speed for a jet.  Try it I am sure it will work for you.

Mike
Old 06-23-2009, 07:34 PM
exciter900rr

I believe I am just getting the hang of it, due to our club prez in the peanut gallery shouting flare! Flare! FLARE!!! MORE! MORE!MORE!!!!!!!!! Until I finally touched down as smooth as silk. ( on the far end of the runway, but SMOOTH!)
This is close to a delta (ish) configuration, and will sit WAY nose high when you are at idle a foot above the runway- I leave the throttle chopped, and disgustingly low for my taste, and come in low. ..on the numbers so to speak. I just keep it about a foot above the tarmac for as long as needed, and then when I think I am going slow enough, I slowly release the up. and as soon as the mains hit, and the nosewheel comes down , I feed in a bit of down to keep it on the ground. I suppose this is all in the timing, but I have had GREAT success with the method, and no longer am I gun shy about flying it. This is all without spoilerons or flaps..... I absolutely HATE the bounce that comes with landing this plane, and I have tried a decreased AOA, and even an unsprung nose gear. you just have to get it slowed down, and the plane submits. (at least mine finally did!)
Old 06-24-2009, 03:59 AM
BaldEagel

excitor

Sounds like you need spoilerons as well, reducing the lift over the wing, brings the aircraft down quicker and will stop the long float, you must give it a try, the peanut gallery will be amazed how much your landings have inproved.

Mike
Old 06-25-2009, 08:01 PM
exciter900rr

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

excitor

Sounds like you need spoilerons as well, reducing the lift over the wing, brings the aircraft down quicker and will stop the long float, you must give it a try, the peanut gallery will be amazed how much your landings have inproved.

Mike
Neh-

Like I said, I've got the hang of it- no need to have another switch to flip, and another mix in there to fuss with. "Keep It Simple" is my motto with this bird.
I've just learned how to fly this particular plane, and have learned most of it's quirks- and now I know how to deal with it- during the first flights, I had a "landing switch" that gave me the 3/16" of spoilerons, and an additional 1/4" at the third position to stay down after touchdown. the additional BS, ... ehem, I mean the additional bells and whistles almost cost me the airframe- I landed, and bounced once real bad, then flipped the switch for "stick to the ground" mode and watched the airplane head back for the sky- quickly! had the engine hesitated at all, there would have been lots of repair to carry out. after that, I'm done. Now, I just flare, and flare some more, and viola! beautiful landings! and a bit of forward stick keeps it down-

But thanks, Baldeagel
Old 06-26-2009, 02:25 AM
BaldEagel

excitor

You are obviously landing to fast to balloon that high after hitting spoilerons, I can understand if you are unable to flick switches whilst flying that you don't want to be put off by needing to remember where each switch is, but please do not accuse another member on this forum of BS just because they suggest something to try and help another member who says they have a problem, we are just trying to help.

Mike
Old 06-26-2009, 07:38 AM
bri_877

I'm quite sure you misunderstood the comment there.....
Old 06-26-2009, 11:59 PM
exciter900rr

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

excitor

You are obviously landing to fast to balloon that high after hitting spoilerons, I can understand if you are unable to flick switches whilst flying that you don't want to be put off by needing to remember where each switch is, but please do not accuse another member on this forum of BS just because they suggest something to try and help another member who says they have a problem, we are just trying to help.

Mike
WOW!

I'll tell you one thing buddy- You NEED to seriously chill out! You have read entirely too much into my post, and YOU are the one ACCUSING ME of out of line conduct.
You are questioning my flying, and my credibility as a member of this group. Not once did I accuse anyone in particular of BS- I didn't even infer it!
Quite the contrary my friend, I as well am trying to help others by simply suggesting another landing option. Who gave you the authority to moderate this forum?
Please do yourself a favor and READ CAREFULLY before you flame someone. and if you are not able to understand the english language, I suggest you invest some money in further education.
You do realize that you're looking a bit silly in your comment don't you?

But seriously- Flipping (not flicking) switches while flying isn't quite out of my scope of abilities, and after more than 23 years of flying, and modeling, I prefer simplicity. You prefer flying your plane one way, whilst I prefer flying mine much differently. And that's just fine with me. However, it's no reason to pull your feathers out Baldeagel...... you'll go bald..

By the way, The screen name is Exciter. And thanks for the blind critique of my piloting skills-
Old 06-27-2009, 01:29 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Now I know why they call him Exciter. - John.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:31 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

oops, double post.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:29 AM
exciter900rr

ORIGINAL: Boomerang1

Now I know why they call him Exciter. - John.
Maybe I should change the name to Excited....lol
sorry all for jumping up and down, but I just get excitable when I'm on the receiving end.
Anyhow, Going to take the bobcat out tomorrow and see if I can lean it just a bit more without getting her too hot. Flying like a dream now!!!
Old 06-28-2009, 03:49 PM
CrashPro
My Feedback: (1)

Here is [link=http://www.cvrcclubvideos.us/SDVids/BobcatJune28.wmv]Video[/link] of Ken's Bobcat

Hi-Def [link=http://www.cvrcclubvideos.us/HDVids/BobcatJune28H.wmv]Video[/link] (Large file)
Old 06-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

Mine is still waiting for repair after a simular landing. That is really looking like a cg problem. Stab stalls before the wing/tail falls.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:56 PM
CrashPro

ORIGINAL: Tom in Cincy

I have had my Bobcat for a year now. I have never seen a plane so difficult to land. Take off is no problem and it flys like a dream. Very fast and on rails. I have never had a good landing with this plane. The plane weighs 9lbs. It has retracts and brakes. On-board glow. The engine is a OS 65 VR ducted fan motor, rear rotor intake, full length tuned pipe, reversed clock wise rotation. A sport APC 11x8 prop turning 14,000 rpm. CG is 10.5.
I am going to move the cg forward .5'' (nose heavy) to see if I can tame this landing down.
If anyone has the magic pill please lay it on me. I'm tired of repairing this thing...

Landing is a problem I've never had with this plane.....No flaps or spoilerons used either. I set up my video camera on the tripod this morning and did some touch and goes....here is the [link=http://www.cvrcclubvideos.us/SDVids/BobcatTG.wmv]VIDEO[/link]
Old 07-01-2009, 08:44 PM
bri_877

Is everyone pretty much using the book throws? How much flap?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:44 AM
HeliTB

CrashPro...You look more like a LandingPro to me. Excellent video showing the attitude of the plane for landing. It seems to be landing real slow to. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:33 AM
CrashPro

ORIGINAL: bri_877

Is everyone pretty much using the book throws? How much flap?

Mine is set by the book...no flaps
Old 07-02-2009, 07:36 AM
CrashPro

ORIGINAL: HeliTB

CrashPro...You look more like a LandingPro to me. Excellent video showing the attitude of the plane for landing. It seems to be landing real slow to. Thanks.

Thanks HeliTB

At the time of the video, there was only about a 1-2mph breeze right down the runway.....when it is more like 7-8mph I can land it even slower.
This airplane has a lot slower stall speed than most would think it has.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:53 AM
exciter900rr

ORIGINAL: CrashPro

ORIGINAL: HeliTB

Thanks HeliTB

At the time of the video, there was only about a 1-2mph breeze right down the runway.....when it is more like 7-8mph I can land it even slower.
This airplane has a lot slower stall speed than most would think it has.
I wish that the winds like that speed on the weekends.....[&o][&o][&o][&o]
Old 07-03-2009, 01:23 AM
exciter900rr

ORIGINAL: Tom in Cincy

Mine is still waiting for repair after a simular landing. That is really looking like a cg problem. Stab stalls before the wing/tail falls.
Well, for some reason, Now is the first time I was able to see the video, ( I run Mac, and sometimes WMV files don't like it, or vice versa) and although I was there, (LOL) I don't remember much other than I didn't wad it- I am Happy with the landing.... I really don't feel it's a CG thing at all- I think this particular landing was all nerves- All in all, I call it a keeper!
The plane flew again 30 min. later, ( I had to get the other one in the air to calm the nerves...) and there was no repair to get back up at all- the only damage was a prop that appeared to pick up a small pebble and had a chip in it, that I replaced, and a scratch on the nose which erks me, but it isn't broke, so I'm happy. The cause of it over revving was leaning out. The muffler lost a bolt, spread, and tank pressure failed- therefore it ran out of gas and I was in trouble. the nosegear sticks on occasion, and typically a blip of the throttle will release it. In this case, No blip of the throttle= No nose gear. The plane really is all good, and other than just plain "getting used to it", I think it's a blast.
I really don't feel that spoilerons are necessary per se, but I'm sure if you are in tight quarters it would be advantageous. I won't say anything more, so I don't get jumped by the mods. So, Just to set the record straight, "you can do what you will with the plane, but I bear no influence whatsoever with the outcome, and I in no way, shape, or form intend to offend, belittle, scrutinize, judge ones ability to understand my post, or ruffle anyones feathers." I just want to share my experiences, and help others enjoy this hobby. After all, Thats why I joined the hobby almost 25 years ago.... to have fun. I would have continued college if I wanted to debate constantly. I think R/C is far more Pro-active!

KM
Old 07-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Dig it

Anybody have a starboard (right side) wing. I bent mine up a little more than I should have. lol

I'm in Canada but shipping wouldn't be much, it doesn't weight anything.

Dale
Old 07-03-2009, 08:43 PM
bri_877

ORIGINAL: exciter900rr

So, Just to set the record straight, ''you can do what you will with the plane, but I bear no influence whatsoever with the outcome, and I in no way, shape, or form intend to offend, belittle, scrutinize, judge ones ability to understand my post, or ruffle anyones feathers.'' I just want to share my experiences, and help others enjoy this hobby. After all, Thats why I joined the hobby almost 25 years ago.... to have fun. I would have continued college if I wanted to debate constantly. I think R/C is far more Pro-active!

KM
Good answer...
Old 07-03-2009, 08:57 PM
CrashPro

ORIGINAL: Dig it

Anybody have a starboard (right side) wing. I bent mine up a little more than I should have. lol

I'm in Canada but shipping wouldn't be much, it doesn't weight anything.

Dale

I had a spare right wing hanging around the house for a couple years......until I did this a couple months ago....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21703.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1229337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87336.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1229338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65554.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1229339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58437.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1229340  
Old 07-06-2009, 11:40 AM
azrcaddict

Hey guys...I pickd up a Bobcat used with no paperwork. Anybody know where the c/g is?? It has an OS .61 on it now. tried take off yesterday, a little trouble weith steering. Also seemed to take a LOT of speed to lift. Never left ground because of steering trouble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.