Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

s/m 1/6 f16 in my hot little hands!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

s/m 1/6 f16 in my hot little hands!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 05:29 AM
loukos
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Ronnie,
thank you for the prompt and detailed response! I think you have covered all of my conserns!

regards Luke
Old 10-18-2017, 10:04 PM
loukos

Pushing on with my f16 and i must say I am rather disappointed with the quality of this kit...I am a bit baffled by the photos of the fuel tanks in this thread. I had to sand quite a bit of fuselage around the main hatch area to accommodate the center fuel tank supplied by skymaster. Even after opening the area around it its a very snug fit...in all photos in this thread there seems to be plenty of space around the tank, not so in my kit???
Old 10-19-2017, 05:35 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was the same as you described with yours. Not easy to get in or out.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:25 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by loukos
Pushing on with my f16 and i must say I am rather disappointed with the quality of this kit...I am a bit baffled by the photos of the fuel tanks in this thread. I had to sand quite a bit of fuselage around the main hatch area to accommodate the center fuel tank supplied by skymaster. Even after opening the area around it its a very snug fit...in all photos in this thread there seems to be plenty of space around the tank, not so in my kit???
Same here my friend with both of my gen 2s I had to go in with a sanding wheel and open up the main hump both the sides and feather the former's to get everything in kind of a pain in the ass but worth it, the Gen 1 f16 had a considerably bigger access hatch and didn't require near as much attention to get the tanks in, there was more room and it was definitely easier.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:06 PM
loukos

Thanks guys, it seems the G2 center fuel tank is bigger...probably to cater for the larger turbines being used
Old 10-20-2017, 07:22 PM
RONW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty sure they changed or extended the inlet duct at some stage (maybe when they offered the full turbine ducting kit) from when the manual was produced which does not leave enough room to install the tanks as shown.
I emailed SM about 6 times on this subject and never broke through their rock solid wall of silence.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:36 PM
Thai Tiger

I cut my ducting to accommodate the larger main tank & I use the full bypass, no problems with the gear doors & stock rams. I replaced the Pneumatic nose tire with a solid BVM one because it wouldn't fit in the bay once inflated. Mains are inflated to a max dia of 103 mm.

The Skymaster kit does need a bit of "tailoring" but it all comes together well & fly's very well. The landing gear is amazingly robust.

One thing you will notice is the Elevons, or Elevators are not level once you've made your first flights, there will be a very large maybe 3/8 inch difference on the right in a nose up direction, this is normal, I'm not sure if the wings are twisted or if the fuselage is twisted, but it seems to be there on many of them.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:34 AM
Thai Tiger

Flew again today, just over two years since the Maiden flight. The power of the JB220 is phenomenal, but frankly it needs to be, this thing is HEAVY on take-off, needs lots of power to fly straight & level, at least 50% throttle to pull out of a dive, or she will pancake, you can switch to high alpha mode but thats a bit advanced.

Landing needs a high approach, speed brakes deployed, 50% throttle coming out of the final turn, high nose, balanced with the power & fly her all the way down, flare in ground effect, apply a little brake and roll to a stop an the runway to avoid a tip up.

I'd suggest anyone flying this aircraft needs to be very aware of the power requirements to make it fly, if in the turn you back off the throttle too much the nose will drop, of fall out of the groove, just keep the power on.

I'm kinda writing this for my self but wanted to share my thoughts.

I fly for a Minimum of 9 minutes before attempting a landing due to the excess fuel weight in the main tank.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:10 AM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

I've got a G1 that was built light, not using the stock center tank. Using a much smaller one. Sounds like it flies a bit different than what you describe but then I don't get that flight time. I think mine does 7 min but overall flies a bit lighter on a 180 and no bypass. Really like the way it flies this way.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:38 PM
loukos

after a lot of fiddling they seem to have settled in
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-10-23 08.02.04.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	2242146   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-10-23 08.02.15.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	2242147  
Old 10-22-2017, 10:45 PM
raron455

after a lot of fiddling they seem to have settled in
It will be even more fun when you put them in there plumbed together with the fuel lines and all safety wired, gotta go in just right.

Also pressure check and clean those tanks at least twice,,all 3 of mine had trash in em.

Last edited by raron455; 10-22-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:31 PM
loukos

Originally Posted by raron455
It will be even more fun when you put them in there plumbed together with the fuel lines and all safety wired, gotta go in just right.

Also pressure check and clean those tanks at least twice,,all 3 of mine had trash in em.
Yeah really not looking forward to that...
Old 10-23-2017, 06:36 PM
Thai Tiger

Hi Loukos, from the photo to looks like the saddle tanks are in upside down.

I had to epoxy the originals closed & cut new holes to miss the former on the FWD section. Otherwise the main tank is too high, resting on not much & when you pull G's it will split the FUS under the wing. Ask me how I know this.....
Old 10-23-2017, 07:02 PM
raron455

Originally Posted by Thai Tiger

I had to epoxy the originals closed & cut new holes to miss the former on the FWD section. Otherwise the main tank is too high, resting on not much & when you pull G's it will split the FUS under the wing. Ask me how I know this.....
Good catch Thai, Loukos those saddle tanks are in wrong,, My fittings also hit my formers, I sanded a curve in the former to clear the lines more than I wanted to, I also had to remove the small wood cross brace that goes across the fuse to be able to access all my lines and connections.
I used BVM high flow tank hardware kits for my tanks, to make it easier.
I also got my saddle tanks in place, then made a ply mount and hysoled it to the bottom corner of the tanks, it sits flush against the main former on the sides, I then put a screw through the plate into the former holding those saddle tanks in place. Then I put Velcro on top of the saddles and on the bottom of the main upper tank, and put a piece of foil between them, slid the tank in and pulled the foil out, allowing the Velcro to latch and hold the main tank in place on top of the saddle tanks. If not they can shift around some.

Last edited by raron455; 10-23-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:18 PM
loukos

Thanks Thai, I was scratching my head about that one...I was sure they were upside down, but then when I put them the right way up the tanks fittings are obstructed by the from FUS former...another re-engineering that need to be done. I will also make some sort of rigid mounts for the tanks to hold the weight of them so as to take it off the fuselage.

Regards Luke
Old 10-23-2017, 08:21 PM
loukos

Originally Posted by raron455
Good catch Thai, Loukos those saddle tanks are in wrong,, My fittings also hit my formers, I sanded a curve in the former to clear the lines more than I wanted to, I also had to remove the small wood cross brace that goes across the fuse to be able to access all my lines and connections.
I used BVM high flow tank hardware kits for my tanks, to make it easier.
I also got my saddle tanks in place, then made a ply mount and hysoled it to the bottom corner of the tanks, it sits flush against the main former on the sides, I then put a screw through the plate into the former holding those saddle tanks in place. Then I put Velcro on top of the saddles and on the bottom of the main upper tank, and put a piece of foil between them, slid the tank in and pulled the foil out, allowing the Velcro to latch and hold the main tank in place on top of the saddle tanks. If not they can shift around some.
Thanks Dean, i think i will follow your solution, looks simple and straight forward.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:10 AM
icepilot

Flew again today, just over two years since the Maiden flight. The power of the JB220 is phenomenal, but frankly it needs to be, this thing is HEAVY on take-off, needs lots of power to fly straight & level, at least 50% throttle to pull out of a dive, or she will pancake, you can switch to high alpha mode but thats a bit advanced.

Landing needs a high approach, speed brakes deployed, 50% throttle coming out of the final turn, high nose, balanced with the power & fly her all the way down, flare in ground effect, apply a little brake and roll to a stop an the runway to avoid a tip up.

I'd suggest anyone flying this aircraft needs to be very aware of the power requirements to make it fly, if in the turn you back off the throttle too much the nose will drop, of fall out of the groove, just keep the power on.

I'm kinda writing this for my self but wanted to share my thoughts.

I fly for a Minimum of 9 minutes before attempting a landing due to the excess fuel weight in the main tank.
Hi guys! As many of you know I have had 3 SM 1:6 F-16s, the first 2 were gen 1. The first one was very heavy, all tanks in use + a quart of water for a special afterburner effect. The first 50 flights or so I had a 16 kg turbine, and she flew just great. No tendencies to drop the nose, landings were slightly fast with the plane parallell to the ground (any attempt of a nose high would make it almost stop in the air). Even with such a small turbine, I never had a nose drop or a spin of any kind, just very easy, pleasant flying. The same was true after I put in a JC 180. The gen 2 is lighter, I had a BF220 and never really flew straight and level on full throttle, only on incredibly high verticals. I landed that the same way as the gen 1 planes.
Yes, it was a bit more hazzle to put the tanks in - I fitted Festo couplings on all 3 tanks, then glued them in and put the tubing in last, around the formers.

Tor
Old 11-06-2017, 05:47 PM
F106A

Hi Tor,
What CG did you use on your Gen 1 F-16.
Thanks,
Jon
Old 11-07-2017, 02:51 AM
icepilot

Hi Jon! On the gen 1 my CG was at 220 mm. Hope you are good and fly a lot - I recently sold my F-16, but am already regretting it... There will probably be another one in the future!
Tor
Old 02-21-2018, 11:21 PM
loukos

Hi guys,
Working on the wings and have stumbled on quite a few issues, feedback welcome...
1. Leading edge Flaps (LEF) .
Pictures showing Antons post in this forum showing the LEF (tigermeet colour scheme). The Lip is extended to the wing skin . The LEF overlaps the wing skin. On my kit this is the other way around, i.e the lip is on the leading edge slat. this will mean the airflow will be flowing over the skin which will cause too much turbulent air and also may cause the wing skin to de-laminate with catastrophic consequences.

2. Also,on both wings with the LEF retracted, there is a big gap of 2-3mm between LEF and Wing Skin. This will again disrupt the airflow over the wing at normal and high speeds and also exert high pressure on the wing skin at that point.

3. BIGGER PROBLEM! - The carbon spar on BOTH wings are too short. They do not pass through the inner wing clamp mechanism. The result is that the wings do not secure accurately and safely to the fuselage!

Ideas??

Name:	20180219_190901.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	2255556   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180219_191047.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	2255557   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180219_192643.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	2255558   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180219_193025_001.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	2255559   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180219_193445.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	2255560   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180219_194911.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	2255561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37169.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	2255562  
Old 02-22-2018, 07:59 AM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Couple thoughts on the wing rod/clamp. It looks like it catches it just enough but agree, disconcerting. How many others have same issue? Constraining the rod at that location is important for bending moment as well as securing the wing. I'd probably dremel the carbon out a bit(removing that amount of carbon is not going to alter what the carbon accomplishes which is a small amount of added stiffness, TLAR'd in that section of the wing root), move it over if there is access.
If no access, then you could do what we do on larger than this, IMAC and do a removable bolt to the wing root(secures from the inside). The wing root itself needs to have some thickness to take the threading of a 1/4-20.
Darren
Old 02-22-2018, 07:18 PM
johnzqh

Hi guys,
Working on the wings and have stumbled on quite a few issues, feedback welcome...
1. Leading edge Flaps (LEF) .
Pictures showing Antons post in this forum showing the LEF (tigermeet colour scheme). The Lip is extended to the wing skin . The LEF overlaps the wing skin. On my kit this is the other way around, i.e the lip is on the leading edge slat. this will mean the airflow will be flowing over the skin which will cause too much turbulent air and also may cause the wing skin to de-laminate with catastrophic consequences.

2. Also,on both wings with the LEF retracted, there is a big gap of 2-3mm between LEF and Wing Skin. This will again disrupt the airflow over the wing at normal and high speeds and also exert high pressure on the wing skin at that point.

3. BIGGER PROBLEM! - The carbon spar on BOTH wings are too short. They do not pass through the inner wing clamp mechanism. The result is that the wings do not secure accurately and safely to the fuselage!

Ideas??
Dear Sir

we just sent mail to you.pls check.

Regards

John
skymaster
Old 02-23-2018, 04:19 AM
loukos

Originally Posted by johnzqh
Dear Sir

we just sent mail to you.pls check.

Regards

John
skymaster
Hi John, i got your email and replied, thank you for the prompt response.

Does anyone else have the slat wings? if so where is the lip located, on the slat or the wing? (see mine attached)

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	2255643  
Old 02-24-2018, 02:19 PM
DerTausKA

Hi loukos,
i've got slat wings as well - same situation the lip is located on the slat:
Click image for larger version

Name:	F16_LEF.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	688.9 KB
ID:	2255834
regards
Torsten

Last edited by DerTausKA; 02-26-2018 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 06-10-2018, 02:47 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi guys,

Can anyone confirm what cg they are using on a G2 version. The manual range is 200 to 220mm from where the wing leading edge meets the fuselage. Basically 200 is on the main removable spar brace that bolts into the fuselage and over the engine.

Thank you,

JanR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.