Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How to transport your jets for about $300 by vehicle and trailer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How to transport your jets for about $300 by vehicle and trailer

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 01:55 AM
dragonpilot
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to transport your jets for about $300 by vehicle and trailer

Thought I'd share my latest project. I have a small car and had a hard time filling it up with larger and then larger aircraft and supplies. I decided to remedy this problem and keep my car clean. You can buy this 4x8 trailer at Harbor freight for $200 which actually folds up to store in your garage and doesn't take up too much space for people with no storage area. If you're handy with power tools you can build a simple jet container to put on top. My goals for this project were to keep everything lightweight, removabe and inside storable as well as water-tight, tamper resistant secure. I will do a small write-up for anyone interested. For the budget minded and low volume space or storage restricted jet flyers, this will work well.
First step was the hitch install. Here's some pics after the first run of paint.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41321.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	612594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74172.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	612595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15161.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	612596  
Old 02-03-2007, 02:35 AM
Randy M.

Default RE: How to transport your jets for about $300 (by vehicle/trailer)

Cool! If you build the crate just right, you can fold it up and slide it under your bed.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:05 AM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great job! I've been thinking about doing this too! Spilling Kerosene in the wife's car once was already once too many!

The only thing that 's kept me from trying it is the speed rating on the tires... There's essentially no information available from any of the local retailers that I've checked out. Did you happen to get any info with your trailer?

Kelly
Old 02-03-2007, 06:31 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how did you make it water tight with a seam down the middle of the roof? Tell us more!
Pictures Pictures Pictures!

Dave
Old 02-03-2007, 10:03 AM
dragonpilot

Sorry Randy but I already have a boxspring so that won't work. but whole unit has small wheels on it and you can dolly it around, actually a couple of cinder blocks and a slab of mdf or ply on top and you've got yourself a garage work table as well. You can actually build a smaller container and house your fuel and such in the open but I chose to enclose everything. The fuel area is separate from the models.
Kelly, the speed rating on the tire lists 55mph but that's measured with the total capacity of the trailer which is 1175 pounds and I'm sure there is a fluff factor with that as well. The tires look good. Just make sure the bearings are always greased... so with only about 100 pounds of gear, the tires will be relaxed doing the speed limits. I'm not worried about that, but get the trailer with at least the 12" wheels.
As far as the weather proofing, I grew up with old wood windows so weather stripping gaskets are your friend. The doors overlap eachother and seal shut. The whole unit is put together quickly with light pine anchored with brads and ALL connections are sealed with polyurethane glue (very rigid and secure) and then sealed on the outside with latex/silicone sealant before the urethane/oil paint is applied. I'm also going to install a rain-proof vent so heat can escape for the summer. Once finished, I will do a hose test to make sure my work is done.
Yes, I need to post more pics and verbage and will do so. Thanks for the comments.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I'd like to hear more about this how about a build thread?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:27 AM
felker14
My Feedback: (50)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got the same trailer just going over box ideas. Please post some more photos. Is there anything you would change?
Thanks
Old 02-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Boomerang1

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Small trailers are a popular transport method in Oz as well. The most popular type is what we call a box trailer. These start at around $400 & we just build the top half of the box with a door on the back. I have not seen any lightweight trailers like the Harbour Freight version you guys have in Oz, ours have full size wheels & tyres. Dragon, how does yours store, on it's end? - John.

Name:	Jh16029.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	612868  
Old 02-03-2007, 04:29 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

One word of caution when using the Harbor Freight, Great Northern, etc. trailer kits with the 10" or 12" tires - they really can't be towed at more than 55 MPH (max) for any length of time as the wheel bearings are not up to the task. They also don't have any suspension (tires provide the only shock absorbing) so they provide a very rough ride for your toys. I used one for a while and it was great for short trips, but twice had the bearings fail on longer trips.

Keeping that in mind, they are a great solution to the small car/no space problem...and the price is right!

Barry
Old 02-03-2007, 04:37 PM
rcav8tr

Kelly

How fast are you planning on going!

Ed

ORIGINAL: Kelly W

Great job! I've been thinking about doing this too! Spilling Kerosene in the wife's car once was already once too many!

The only thing that 's kept me from trying it is the speed rating on the tires... There's essentially no information available from any of the local retailers that I've checked out. Did you happen to get any info with your trailer?

Kelly
Old 02-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

C'mon Ed, your an engineer too. You'd want to know what the margin of safety is too right?

Short answer: Not crazy fast (that's what the jet is for!) but I'd like to know if an el-cheap-o trailer kit with 12" wheels will be reliable at highway speeds. The mountain highways out here top out at 110Km/h, so most guys drive 130... Based on that, I'd say the tire should be able to run at a sufficient load up to 150kmh till the cows come home.

That's really the only reason I haven't bought anything yet.

Kelly
Old 02-03-2007, 05:47 PM
johnnyjet
My Feedback: (4)

Dragonpilot

I am so glad to see you do this.

Job well done!

Johnny
Old 02-03-2007, 07:48 PM
dragonpilot

ORIGINAL: dbarrym

One word of caution when using the Harbor Freight, Great Northern, etc. trailer kits with the 10" or 12" tires - they really can't be towed at more than 55 MPH (max) for any length of time as the wheel bearings are not up to the task. They also don't have any suspension (tires provide the only shock absorbing) so they provide a very rough ride for your toys. I used one for a while and it was great for short trips, but twice had the bearings fail on longer trips.

Keeping that in mind, they are a great solution to the small car/no space problem...and the price is right!

Barry
Barry,
I think they've improved the design a bit maybe from when you had one. They've actually got spring-flex plates for some suspension and with some work you can add some small S.As if wanted. The price is nice for $200 and it folds up, which was the only option for me. I'll have to post pics and a small build thread, maybe tomorrow, I'll have more time.
I installed some rigid board insulation on the box bottom and eye hooks screw down into the lightweight frame structure at various places where I'll use flat rubber ties to secure the aircraft and supplies. On top of the insulation is bed egg crate material foam but I'll looking for some thicker stuff so if anyone has any ideas on where to get that, I'll all ears.

Felker, One thing I haven't done is paint the inside, might be nice, I may do it. Since I'm not finished yet, I may dress up the exterior as well. I built it very rigid but I'm going to put it through some more tests as well as the hose test I mentioned.

John, the trailer folds up and stands on four casters so you can wheel it around your garage, it's great! I'll get a better picture posted.
As far as the wheels if you have this trailer, make sure you pack the wheel bearings again but use a high quality poly-grease and pack it well. I want to avoid any failure there so I've taken care of that.
More to come, including the install of the hitch and wiring.
Thanks

Name:	Fd91437.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	613072  
Old 02-03-2007, 08:22 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Tim, why don't you go by a place that sells trailers and get what they call "bearing buddies". All boat trailers have them. They replace the caps on the spindels with a cap that is spring loaded with a grease fitting and you don't have to pack the bearings. Just give them a shot with a grease gun. Take your old cap with you as there are different sizes.

Do a Google search "bearing buddies" some sporting goods stores also sell them.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:47 PM
dragonpilot

ORIGINAL: bcovish

Tim, why don't you go by a place that sells trailers and get what they call "bearing buddies". All boat trailers have them. They replace the caps on the spindels with a cap that is spring loaded with a grease fitting and you don't have to pack the bearings. Just give them a shot with a grease gun. Take your old cap with you as there are different sizes.

Do a Google search "bearing buddies" some sporting goods stores also sell them.
Hey Bob, sorry forgot to mention that actually they do have a grease gun fitting on the hub but you have to assemble the hub on the axle and that is when you pack the quality grease in there. Once you do that from then on, aside from an overhaul, you use the grease gun on the fitting.
let's go flyin!
Old 02-03-2007, 08:48 PM
wd40
My Feedback: (81)

you can find them at www.northerntool.com
Old 02-03-2007, 11:16 PM
jetflyr

OK, let's put an end to some myths and blatant falsehoods about these little Harbor Freight gems.

I built mine in March of '98.
It's been up and down the Colorado, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Nebraska highways in 100+ degree temps, as well as running through snow.....running all day long at 80 mph. Stock tires, only 25 lbs of pressure in them since they are very stiff walled. Still running the same set of tires.
I had the leaf doublers removed when new to decrease the stiffness, and had one break last fall, fortunately while in town, and at 15 mph!
Mine is permanently mounted with the frame bolted open, and is 4.5X 9 feet long....so the wheels are boxed in. Weight is nothing, and a Subaru doesn't even know it's back there.
The bearings have never even been warm (warmer than ambient temps!), and they've still got the original grease.....
Given the manufactureres fear of lawsuits, the speed rating is very conservative. But in saying that, be aware of load, road conditions, and your skills towing a load! Compared to a heavy tri-hulled boat........
$600 complete, you can't beat it! Just make sure to put vent holes in it somewhere, otherwise you WILL end up with corrosion inside from too tight of a seal.....yes it happened!

Greg
Old 02-03-2007, 11:53 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Tim

Speaking about vents, Magnum sells a set of a air vents that they install on Wells Cargo trailers. Bolt on.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:56 AM
dragonpilot

Default RE: How to transport your jets for about $300 by vehicle and trailer

Ok Finally got some pictures.
First I'll start with the vehicle hitch pictures. I didn't have a hitch so that is where I started.
Depending on what hitch you buy, you may have to drill your car up.

Name:	Nl29112.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	617591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57067.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	617592  
Old 02-10-2007, 06:43 AM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

HI all, I had one of these small trailers when I first went to Deland Jets in Florida from Toronto Canada. I carried my first jet , a F15 ducted fan.My son and I drove down in one day at 70 mph. On the way back, just leaving Florida , we blew a tire at 30lbs. pressure.
When we put the spare tire on , we made sure we had 50lbs pressure and all was OK for the rest of the jurney home. We also had to stop in Wallmart to get another spare tire for the jurney home.
Rcpete

Name:	Ec87409.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	617615  
Old 02-10-2007, 02:28 PM
dragonpilot

Here are some pics of the model I just got. Maybe they've made some modifications over the years.
You've got your grease fitting, leaf springs, and casters for dollying the foldable trailer around.

Name:	If10765.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	617860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19521.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	617861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87740.jpg
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	617862  
Old 02-10-2007, 02:43 PM
dragonpilot

Goals when building the box were for it to be light and stiff. I also wanted to do this economically and quickly and so economy of materials and economy of time played a role in the design. The trailer bed is 4x8'. I used 4x8' ply so the size of the box was dictated by that. 4x8x2' . This way, you eliminate waste of standard size lumber. I used 1x2x8 strapping pine for the frame and 4x8 sheets of light ply with 4x8 sheet of birch ply for the doors.
Other materials used were" Elmers Polyurethane glue, 5/8" brads and 1 3/8" brads, 6 hinges, 5 hasps, steel corner angles, 4x8 sheet rigid board insulation and some foam crate.

Because I wanted this box to be light, I allowed for the steel of the trailer to be the main bottom support. There was no need to have a heavy bottom layer.

The height size of 2' was ideal as well for allowing plenty of space for jets and supplies and giving you a clear view of rearward traffic.

Name:	Vt57601.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	617879  
Old 02-11-2007, 08:23 PM
dragonpilot

a bunch of pics..

Name:	Ig12019.jpg
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	619150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55217.jpg
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	619151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75632.jpg
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	619152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88277.jpg
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	619153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx24094.jpg
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	619154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn86193.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	619155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Df75238.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	619156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo50886.jpg
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	619157  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ji77330.jpg
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	619158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kw97425.jpg
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	619159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci43985.jpg
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	619160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc21896.jpg
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	619161  
Old 02-11-2007, 08:26 PM
dragonpilot

and a few more..

Name:	Ki20591.jpg
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	619169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32811.jpg
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	619170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36249.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	619171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67716.jpg
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	619172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz31576.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	619173  
Old 02-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Fat Boy

ORIGINAL: dragonpilot

Ok Finally got some pictures.
First I'll start with the vehicle hitch pictures. I didn't have a hitch so that is where I started.
Depending on what hitch you buy, you may have to drill your car up.

Looks as if the hitch is actually mounted to the trunk floor (where the spare is housed)...is this the location the hitch manufacturer intended?? The reason I ask is usually the hitch is mounted to bumper brackets or the actual bumper (not the bumper cover). The location your hitch is mounted is not actually a "load bearing" area. Not trying to rain on anyones parade...I'd just hate to see you loose your load!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.