Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Upgrading a DF kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Upgrading a DF kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 12:28 PM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Upgrading a DF kit

I'm just curious to what modifications are needed to convert a df kit to turbine. I looked at my Sport Shark hanging from the ceiling and thought....."I wonder how"
Let's say a Simjet 700 was the turbine going in it cause it's a fairly small one.
Could it be done? I mean it's not like I will be venturing into the turbine field yet but I want to know what the order of operations would be if this was your plane and you wanted to convert it.
Thanks to all!
Myles
Old 02-15-2002, 03:06 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add a Fire proof thrust tube,( SS or titanium, )Change fuel system to be kerosene compatable. Beef up the wings a bit. Altho not that much with the 700. Range check the radio installation with turbine running, and go for it!

Its only money.

A famous man once said." The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic money. 'Nuff said!
Old 02-15-2002, 11:32 AM
Jetset

Default Keep it coming guys!

Sounds like the possibility could be there in the future. It's pretty tight in there with a DF system but with the Simjet 700 there would be some added space. What about using bigger saddle tanks in the same position the tanks are in now so the cg doesn't get thrown off? Do many people use saddle tanks still with their turbines?
To anyone who has a Sport Shark who flies turbines now-what do you personally think about this whole conversion thing?
I am finding this very interesting and I appreciate everyones help!
Thanks to all!
Myles
Old 02-15-2002, 04:45 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

You know, I was looking to do a trade study on converting DF to Simjet 700 or other mini-size turbine. The weight savings between the two installations would be partially used by extra fuel, but it would probably result in a lighter overall takeoff weight - thus possibly making the relatively low thrust of the 700 acceptible for many .91 size planes. Won't know till I run the numbers.

I know that Simjet says the 700 installation will weigh about a pound. Then there's the tailpipe wight to account for - I could look that up on Tam's site I suppose.

Anybody know what the weight of a .91 engine and/or fan unit is? I'm thinking combined, they are about 3 lbs. I could go dig them out and weight them, but sitting on my a** typing is easier.

Also, Anyone know the static thrust of a .91 DF unit?
Old 02-17-2002, 01:12 AM
Jetset

Default Sounds great!

This will be interesting to see the results to!!
Anyone have any figures to share?
Myles
Old 02-18-2002, 07:30 PM
jettadic

Default static thrust

BVM catalogue that has some figures in it states:
With a BVM .91R @ 24,000 RPM static thrust should be 13+lbs.
I weighed a fan unit, engine and and pipe, all BVM. Weight is 3lbs.
Does anyone make inlet reducer, bypass and tailpipe for 700 yet. If not who should we contact to have them made?
I have a Viper that I would like to convert to turbine power. Right now the dry weight is 11lbs. If we can reduce weight 1-2 lbs. with turbine power the performance should be ok with 7lb thrust turbine. Right? Any info would be appreciated. TIA
Mike
Old 02-18-2002, 08:46 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default delete

delete
Old 02-18-2002, 10:05 PM
Jetset

Default Turbines

Jetadic, this is what I was think of regards to the weight of the DF setup compared to the 700. The Shark weighs in about the same as your Viper so the 700 should be good I guess? I have not a clue about turbines but the 700 states 7lbs thrust right? I assume this is full throttle?
I guess most guys don't fly at full throttle but wouldn't you really need mostly full bore to the fly an 11lb plane with a 7lb thrust turbine comfortably?
Like I say, I have no idea! :stupid:
Myles
Old 02-18-2002, 11:46 PM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: Turbines

Originally posted by Jetset
Jetadic, this is what I was think of regards to the weight of the DF setup compared to the 700. The Shark weighs in about the same as your Viper so the 700 should be good I guess? I have not a clue about turbines but the 700 states 7lbs thrust right? I assume this is full throttle?
I guess most guys don't fly at full throttle but wouldn't you really need mostly full bore to the fly an 11lb plane with a 7lb thrust turbine comfortably?
Like I say, I have no idea! :stupid:
Myles
Jetset,
if you have 1 to 1 thrust-it will sure make the jet climb really well-but a 16lb. jet will fly pretty good on 7lbs. of thrust-once it is in the air-it is flying on the wing-I mean look at the max T/O weight of a 747-now some of them are up to 985,000lbs. on T/O-but the total engine thrust is 4x 75,000lbs of thrust=300,000lbs-and look how good they fly........500kts.@35,000ft.-so I think a R/C model will be ok.

Jackjet
Old 02-19-2002, 04:52 AM
jettadic

Default wing

Terry,
Any tips on reinforcing the wing on a Viper. It is foam core. Springair retract frames seem kind of flimsey, anyone make a stronger one that will drop in place?

Simjet,
Please keep me posted on progress, would like to bring this bird back into service with turbine power.
Thanks, Mike