Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

UAT question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

UAT question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:29 PM
carcraze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UAT question

Hi all

I am new to turbines and have a question about a BVM UAT. My installation is 3 tanks, 1 main 78oz to a 24 oz to a 24oz to the UAT in series. The main is a long baffled tank with the clunk at the back with brass where it passes through the baffle, I have checked it once to make sure there is no tube fraying, looks okay maybe I should check it again. All tanks are safety wired not tie wraped and during ground running no air is entering. During the first few flights when I checked after the flight the UAT seemed to have no air or very little. I have since started flying a little more aggresively with more vertical down lines and such and noticed the last flight the UAT had some air in it an air bubble the width if the UAT which I am assuming is coming from clunks coming out of the fuel. The last tank was about 1/2 full after taxi in from the flight. My question is this normal for a little air in the trap or should it still be air free at the end of a flight and if it is not normal where should I start looking? Trying to prevent an air induced flame out so thought I would ask the experts. I was also wondering if it is enough concern to look at another type of UAT?

Thanks
Old 11-23-2009, 07:32 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: UAT question

Well, if you are certainly flying "more aggressive", that could certainly explain your findings.

To be safe, run up your fuel pump at the voltage that it usually see's at full throttle for the entire fuel capacity and see if the UAT sucks in air or causes cavitation.

If you see air on the ground runs, you have a problem. If you don't see air, then it's your flying!

Raf
Old 11-23-2009, 07:41 PM
carcraze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if there is an esay way to run the fuel pump up for the entire fuel load? I have ran the prime function when I primed the lines but it runs the fuel pump up to full as far as I can tell but shuts down after what seems like a set time unless I just keep running the prime function for the duration of the tanks? Unless there is a way I am missing?

Thanks
Old 11-23-2009, 08:52 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carcraze, There is several ways to run your pump at full throttle. Start your turbine and while at full throttle measure the voltage right off your pump. The reason I do that is because every turbine is differant at that stage depending on what your TX taught it in the first set-up. After that, whatever voltage you measured hook your ECU bat. straight to a regulator and set that to the voltage you measured. Now hook that straight to your pump and let it run out all your fuel. Now I'm sure there are folks here that has found a better way to do that, but with my crude turbine, thats the way I do it.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:01 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

If you have a jetcat it is easy. And yes, you would use the prime function and while pressing "change value" you would press the "+" button and this would increase the voltage to your pump up as high as you want it.

Raf