RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   JetJoe OWNERS thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/2944063-jetjoe-owners-thread.html)

BJ64 10-19-2010 09:20 PM

RE: JetJoe OWNERS thread

ORIGINAL: Adrian Lewer

[sm=shades_smile.gif] Get ready for the bang...
I like a Man who's confident... [sm=bananahead.gif]

BJ:)

Adrian Lewer 10-19-2010 10:27 PM

Have ordered my bits this morning, I got the 2 pice tail pipe, shaft tunnel, o ring set, set of ceramic bearings, and a new fuel pump (just in case). When it all arrives I will let you all know. (my first order from jet joe china :D )

BJ64 10-27-2010 09:37 AM

Your bits come in from China yet, Adrian?

DaveJohansen 10-27-2010 08:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quick question. In the picture I have 2 FOD screens. Mark sent me a FOD screen for my 1400, it's on the right . I had bought one from dream works, the left one. The larger on will not fit unless I cut the smaller ring, as it does not fit over starter motor.

The one Mark sent looks like it has to be installed inside the inlet underneath the starter motor inside of the 3 legs? Is that right?

Thanks

Dave

fw190pilot 10-27-2010 08:32 PM

The fod screen goes under the cowl. Remove the cowl place the fod on the inlet and reinstall the cowl on top of the fod screen. Just be sure not to pinch any lines or wires whenn reinstalling the cowl. If nothing else have to give Jetjoe credit for a very clever fod screen design.

BJ64 11-04-2010 06:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Adrian Lewer

Have ordered my bits this morning, I got the 2 pice tail pipe, shaft tunnel, o ring set, set of ceramic bearings, and a new fuel pump (just in case). When it all arrives I will let you all know. (my first order from jet joe china :D )
Anthing arrived yet mate?

hapyjac2 11-04-2010 07:17 AM

ORIGINAL: DaveJohansen

Quick question. In the picture I have 2 FOD screens. Mark sent me a FOD screen for my 1400, it's on the right . I had bought one from dream works, the left one. The larger on will not fit unless I cut the smaller ring, as it does not fit over starter motor.

The one Mark sent looks like it has to be installed inside the inlet underneath the starter motor inside of the 3 legs? Is that right?

Thanks

Dave

Dave,

just remove the blue cover and insert. The smaller FOD screen works great and is easy to install.

f6hlct 11-20-2010 02:41 PM

I just bench ran my new/used JJ1400 for the first time and it displays a bit of an odd start up. Once it gets to idle, everything else is ok though. I was told in the past with my JJ1200, that I should shut off my propane at 30K, but it will not start this way as it just sinks in RPM. Even if I let the propane stay connected up to 45K which is the set idle speed, it will sink to 37K on removal and take about 15 seconds to get back up to 45K again. As mentioned, it seems to run fine once stable at 45K. It sounds like there may not be enough Kero on the ramp up, but I am not sure what parameter to look at. Any suggestions?

fw190pilot 11-20-2010 09:08 PM

Set parameter27 to 27 or 28 and raise parameters 28,29, and 30 by 1 and try that. This should help but make sure it doesn't get too hot during fuel ramp.

Xairflyer 11-21-2010 04:36 AM

I would also up the stability delay to about 50, decel delay to 20+ and reduce the egt max to 800

Mavericksa 12-16-2010 12:12 PM

Hi all jet joe owners,

I bought a second jj 1400 a while ago without any manual. I need an assembly and/or owners manual to replace parts etc. Is there any one that could help me with this???
Please mail me a copy to [email protected]
Will appreciate any help

Cheers

DaveJohansen 12-16-2010 12:16 PM

sent you a copy

Dave

Mavericksa 12-17-2010 03:05 AM

ORIGINAL: DaveJohansen

sent you a copy

Dave
Dave,

Thank you so much for the owners manual and all your help!!! Appreciated.

Any one that still have an assembly manual for the JJ1400 specifically............please help.

Thanks !

Mavericksa

Xairflyer 12-17-2010 03:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Mavericksa

Any one that still have an assembly manual for the JJ1400 specifically............please help.

Thanks !

Mavericksa
I done a stripdown/rebuild thread sometime back on here, [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9458885]JJ1400 stripdown/rebuild[/link] you should get all you need from that.

Would be interesting to see Jetjoes instructions for the JJ1200 kit if anyone has them.

john4648 12-17-2010 04:55 AM

Have a JJ1400 that am getting ready to list. Complete full autostart. Has new combustion chamber, NGV etc. Serial #606. Thinking in the $900 range.
email me at [email protected] if interested.

Mavericksa 12-24-2010 12:54 AM

Hallo all Jet Joe experts :D

Firstly, I wanna thank Xairflyer and Dave for their help with my assembly manual request. Xairflyer..........great thread and job done!!!!!!!

I also experienced the next problem and hope you guys can help me.
I have a JJ1400 #716. Since I bought it and installed it on a test bench, I have started it about 7 times ....... it run great!!!! I basically emptied a 1,5 liter tank with each run. The EGT never went higher than 400C. With the last start I heard that my starter engage and then released............engaged and release with the ramp up. I decided to dismantle the starter (still the starter that was on the JJ1200's) from the turbine and to check and clean the o-ring. I saw that the o-ring was worn out a bit and also cleaned the "bendix". The replacement o-ring I installed is a teeny little bit oversized (OD). When I started after o-ring replacement it seems that the starter/bendix did not release. My temps went up to 780C - and turbine shut off. Could it be that the starter/bendix did not release and more fuel was pumped by the pump to reach rump up revs and resulted in hot start??? I mean.......before o-ring replacement my turbine was working 100%.......[&:]

Please.......any ideas??

Mavericksa

fw190pilot 12-24-2010 08:22 PM

If the starter doesn't release it will cause the turbine to overheat. You will also be lucky if it didn't destroy the starter motor. Easy fix for a worn starter oring is to simply flip it over. It will work at last almost as long as a new oring.

GSR 12-25-2010 10:07 AM

If your temps never went over 400C your engine is not running. Adjust or replace your thermocouple.

hapyjac2 01-04-2011 04:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Gents.

I have a jet Joe 1400 thats been in a box for a while. I'm not going to use it. I know it probably needs bearings and some TLC Comes with start up equip. 2 valves, ECU, (Regal), wire harness, engine mount, etc. no battery.
It may need a new starter motor since the leads are not attached to the starter motor. Even have the GSU and manual. I'm looking to get $500.00 for the whole box of stuff. shipped free in US, out side we can work a deal. If your interested write me a note for photos. Great for parts or could be fixed. It did run fine, before the bearings started geting noisy.

[email protected]

streakflyer 01-21-2011 10:22 AM

Hi Everyone<div>                          Hope I'm in the correct thread as i have purchased a second hand JLT Turbine which i believe is a rebadged JETJOE </div><div>                          I'am new to RC turbines and purchased this one just to bench run, I have read this forum thread and am now aware of the                                                 problems that have been encountered, This hasn't disheartened me as I do like to tinker.</div><div>                          I believe my engine to be basically ok at the moment although I cant feel the preload so that will need looking at.</div><div><span style="white-space:pre"> </span>  My main problem is the GB Hobbies ECU will not ramp the fuel pump on start up, it will run the pump to Prime ok</div><div><span style="white-space:pre"> </span>  I'm not sure if my radio set ( SANWA VANGUARD) will work with the ecu, although i know the radio gear works</div><div>                          I have set the radio to ecu as per instructions,</div><div>                          my manual start method is to spin on starter, apply glo power, open gas, it will then light up as expected then further motoring on the                               starter the engine will accelerate up to 25k rpm and 250c egt on gas, but no power to the fuel pump (0.0v) to ramp.</div><div><span style="white-space:pre"> </span>  Does this sound like an ecu fault</div><div>
</div><div>                          please help and many thanks  Adam</div>

Xairflyer 01-21-2011 10:52 AM

Yes, the minute the ecu see's 100c it should start running, check the ecu to make sure there are no burnt tracks on the pcb, I have fixed a few with this problem.

i3dm 01-21-2011 02:14 PM

Also check your GB ECU paramaters "start allowed RPM" and "start allowed EGT" to make sure theyre dialed in right.

streakflyer 01-22-2011 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Xairflyer and i3dm

many thanks for your reply's
the ecu parameters are start allowed rpm =7 (7000rpm i guess) and start allowed egt =100 the engine has been to 25000rpm and 250c egt on gas and starter according to the display unit and it wont start the pump
so i opened up the ecu and found a burnt track (bottom right in pic) however there is good continuity across the track so I'm not sure if thats the problem, any thoughts ?
also should i strip the engine down to sort out the preload before attempting another start ?, Xairflyer I have read your thread regarding your rebuild of your jj1400, were there any ill affects of leaving out the rear o'ring? I'm assuming the rear bearing must be a good interference fit to stop the outer race rotating to leave the o'ring out ?

Regards Adam

streakflyer 01-22-2011 12:57 PM

oops the burnt track is bottom left in the pic as it uploaded
Adam

Xairflyer 01-24-2011 04:12 AM

Obviously if there is a burnt track, there is a problem with the ECU, chances are the component (more likely a mosfet) burnt out just before the track did, can you take a pic of the other side of the board.

Also can you make the pump run by connecting a battery, 1.5v is enough, disconnected from the ecu of course.

Removing O ring is not a problem, last tunnel I got for my wren did'nt even have the groove anymore, so it is obviously a better job.