Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Ultimate Newb needs help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 07:07 PM
chrisman17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultimate Newb needs help!!!

Hey guys I'm a newb when it comes to all this RC stuff, I sort of bought a truck on impulse today while surfing the net. I had cars when I younger like when I was 10 or so (15 years ago) but I always wanted a gas powered car since I always hated charging batteries. The car I decided on is the Cen MT2 Monster Truck, mostly b/c of its price and its good reviews. Was this a good choice for a beginner? What should I know about Nitro RCs before I get it in and start it up? Like I said I know absolutely nothing about them (heh) just wanted to try a new hobbie! Can't wait to hear back from you guys and your suggestions.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:00 PM
wakbrdr

Default RE: Ultimate Newb needs help!!!

I have heard many good things about the Cen MT2. Make sure you break in the motor good, that will give you a reliable, long-lasting motor
Old 01-03-2005, 09:13 PM
co_alpine
My Feedback: (35)

you will be out getting your 2nd, 3rd.. before you know it make sure you do the break in right, and use good fuel. get a temp gun (can pick one up for under $30) to make sure your running right (200-220F). also, not sure if it comes with one on your setup, but use a hump pack for the reciver, not the AA's if you can. the 6volts make a huge diff in the turing. to save money look at the marketplace for things that can be used like a charger and other parts. most of all, have fun.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:20 PM
chrisman17

How does one go about properly breaking in the motor?
Old 01-03-2005, 09:30 PM
co_alpine

there are a few ways to do it, but the best way is to follow the instructions for that specific motor. it will come with it, but the Idea is to heat up the piston and sleeve so they form fit is you will. the main point is to get your motor to be around 220F for a while, then let it cool (make sure the piston is not at the top during the cooling part). there are a lot of topics on this, do a search and you will get a lot more out of it. this is a very important step as it is what makes or breaks your motor for the long haul. following the instructions is important to make sure you get a full warranty just in case. this is why a temp gun is a good thing to have. you will also see that some sue the "spit test" where you spit on the head and see how long it takes to boil and how long it lasts. while this will work, it is not a precise.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:25 PM
chrisman17

Thanks Alpine, your advice is greatly appreciated. I guess I'll have to invest in a temp gun now!!
Old 01-03-2005, 11:29 PM
co_alpine

anytime, that is what this Forum is for. keep an eye on ebay, I got a nice one fomr RCboyz for like $20 that is small and had an extra bat and case.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:57 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

tuning is the common problem about nitro cars/trucks goodluck on ur new truck
Old 01-04-2005, 04:31 AM
Tnx_4_life

i got stuff from rcboyz 2, they rock. REAL sharp prices if u ask me and Ben(one of the guys there) had even bumped up my shipping to express ****tping fopr nothing [8D] so it was at my house(in holland) within 1 week [X(]

neways back ontopic, as said make a good break in. Also what i would recommend. When done on the break in, just take an easy drive, dont go WOT(wide open throttle)straight away. Coz if ur not used to the steering u might brake it within seconds [&:] so take it easy and when u feel uvr got the truck under control u can do more buty most of all, the first rule of RC; HAVE FUN !!!

ORIGINAL: co_alpine

anytime, that is what this Forum is for. keep an eye on ebay, I got a nice one fomr RCboyz for like $20 that is small and had an extra bat and case.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Ahab

no one has mentioned a failsafe yet so I might as well.

with nitro, if the reciever(Rx) battery goes flat, or the truck goes out of range the servos will stay as they are when the signal stopped.
What this means is that if you blast off accross the playing field at WOT, and go beyond the range of the Transmitter(Tx) the truck will continue to go at WOT till something stops it (usualy terminaly), and as these MT's will do about 50mph and weigh a fair chunk if it hits anyone it will probably break bones! (queue lawyers, stress and a huge hole in your hop up buget)

for about $25 you can get a Failsafe (venom make a popular one) that detects a lack of signal for the Rx and automaticly sets the Throttle/Break Servo to full Break and stops you having a dreaded RunAway...

just a thought..

ahab.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Ybenjulkay2x

Did anyone mention about using after run oil, Better to use it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! before its tooooo late. After using the car/truck make a few drop of oil to the carb where the filter is (remove filter),and at the glow plug hole.Yank the pull start a feww to let the oil spread inside (with the truck upside down) then reinsttaled the plug back.