-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 02:07 PM
GlassBullet
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

sorry for posting agian, but i think my question got skipped over last time :/

What tires to you guys and gals get, do you go for buggy or truck tires and what brand?. I'll be mostly bashing, driving on the street, grass, and dirt.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:13 PM
nitro rc

well my brother and I fixed up our backyard track and were ready to race our nitros yesterday. Instead, the pull starter cord pulled out to far and doesn't retract (totally my fault i know), but is that something i can fix myself our does that require a whole new pull starter.

How many of you use roto starts on your storm. My friend has an unused one that I can probably get my hands on. Is it smart to go roto? I know the ez start on my tmaxx saves so much time.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:19 PM
dviga001

ORIGINAL: GlassBullet

sorry for posting agian, but i think my question got skipped over last time :/

What tires to you guys and gals get, do you go for buggy or truck tires and what brand?. I'll be mostly bashing, driving on the street, grass, and dirt.
i use moab 2.2" tires. they give it a little more ground clearance and a more aggressive look in my opinion
Old 04-25-2009, 02:35 PM
JonKBMW

Ahhh I am back in it - my Firestorm was down for a couple months as I focused on my full size car haha. I put it away running great, but the steering wasn't steering. I had just replaced the steering server with a Futuba one too, so I was bummed - thought I broke the linkage that hooks the server to the "rack" as when I would turn, I'd see the piece split and move in halves. I though the piece split, but it turns out its a spring loaded mechanism that is supposed to save the server from shock I guess. I was taking it apart and undid the big nut maybe 1/5 of a turn and it popped apart completely. So, it turns out, the nut had backed off was simply not tight so any considerable force when turning was causing the mechanism to separate as if to save the servo - doh! I had ordered all new plastic steering pieces from Tower thinking it was borked, but it went back together and just needed tightening. So now, I am charging up my glow plug and am going to give it a go later today!
Old 04-25-2009, 03:50 PM
nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: nitro rc

well my brother and I fixed up our backyard track and were ready to race our nitros yesterday. Instead, the pull starter cord pulled out to far and doesn't retract (totally my fault i know), but is that something i can fix myself our does that require a whole new pull starter.

How many of you use roto starts on your storm. My friend has an unused one that I can probably get my hands on. Is it smart to go roto? I know the ez start on my tmaxx saves so much time.
I use rotos on all my trucks except one. Pull starters aren't bad, I am starting to not mind a pull start on a small block (but on a Savage...). You can re-wind the pull starter. There are videos on u-tube. You basically wind the coil up in where it sits and set the 'other' part of the pull starter containing the rope against it hoping to get the spring to go back into its slot. Then you wind the rope a few times manually - its hard to explain in text, but I have done it several times. Give it a whirl - the worst thing is you have to buy a new starter. Roto attachments are 12 bucks on ebay and starter wants are 7. You don't need the motor - just use a drill.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:59 PM
nitro-rob

I run road rage II tires for the street and two types of off roads - geolanders all around or a set with gladiators (rear) and dirt hawg (front). The roadrage get most of the action. They are low profile and change the gearing a lot but make the truck scream. I like all of these sets. The geolanders are a cool general purpose tire.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:03 PM
nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: JonKBMW

Ahhh I am back in it - my Firestorm was down for a couple months as I focused on my full size car haha. I put it away running great, but the steering wasn't steering. I had just replaced the steering server with a Futuba one too, so I was bummed - thought I broke the linkage that hooks the server to the "rack" as when I would turn, I'd see the piece split and move in halves. I though the piece split, but it turns out its a spring loaded mechanism that is supposed to save the server from shock I guess. I was taking it apart and undid the big nut maybe 1/5 of a turn and it popped apart completely. So, it turns out, the nut had backed off was simply not tight so any considerable force when turning was causing the mechanism to separate as if to save the servo - doh! I had ordered all new plastic steering pieces from Tower thinking it was borked, but it went back together and just needed tightening. So now, I am charging up my glow plug and am going to give it a go later today!
That is a common problem. The nut needs to be treated with loctite. It will always loosen otherwise.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:27 PM
JonKBMW

Hey guys - seems I am having a hard time keeping the steering race bolt tight. Its the big bolt with the big nut and spring - I guess its a servo saver. I have a Futuba servo up front - I tightened the nut pretty good yesterday and drove a bunch today, as about 30 - 45 mins go by I notice the truck is turning less and less, and then realize its bumping the nut more and more loose - in fact, I think the nut technically fell off today (but was still on the truck because of that pin that holds everything in line). I went and threw it on even tighter and used red thread lock. We'll see - anyone else have this thing coming apart? My next resort will be to epoxy the steering arm halves together.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:44 PM
GlassBullet
My Feedback: (1)

locktight should do the trick
Old 04-26-2009, 10:46 PM
nitro-rob

That is a common problem. The nut needs to be treated with loctite. It will always loosen otherwise.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:17 PM
JonKBMW

Awesome - its all set - hopefully it holds
Old 04-27-2009, 12:03 PM
ro.sniper

Had another great time running my Firestorm, but managed to break the clutch spring, so far I just repaired it but, I want to get something more robust... would the savage 2pc clutch shoes and springs be a direct fit? I also have a new member in the RC family, the HPI cup racer!! I'm so excited to build that one from scratch.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:41 PM
BlindObject
My Feedback: (11)

The clutch spring will get busted sometime no matter what. Try this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDLJ2&P=7
Old 04-28-2009, 11:41 PM
nitro-rob

Try the savage 3-shoe. Its a great clutch, I run it on all my G3's and love it.

I have my storm fixed.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:48 AM
ro.sniper

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

Try the savage 3-shoe. Its a great clutch, I run it on all my G3's and love it.

I have my storm fixed.

Would I have to get a different flywheel?
Old 04-29-2009, 08:54 AM
nitro-rob

Yes. You can get a clutch and flywheel set for around $20.Its worthwhile.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:33 AM
ro.sniper

I guess I'll have to added to my towerhobbies shopping list! Cheers! Do I have to get a different clutch bell or will the shoes from the 3 pc kit fit fine in the stock clutch bell?
Old 04-29-2009, 09:59 AM
nitro-rob

The stock clutch bell will fit fine. I noticed a good increase in power on the bottom end with the change. Also, widening the exhaust header helps too.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:21 AM
nitro-rob

I havn't seen photos on here for a while so here are two from the weeekend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58603.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1188942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49621.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1188943  
Old 04-29-2009, 11:38 AM
BlindObject

Those are nice wheels, I use to have those rims, they're very expensive though. =(

Why is your pipe disconnected?
Old 04-29-2009, 11:44 AM
cbr6fs

I havn't seen photos on here for a while so here are two from the weeekend.

What shocks/springs are those Rob please?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:53 PM
nitro-rob

Those shocks are GPM and are intended for the rustler. They are 5mm shorter on the rear than the rustler but still seem to keep the truck level. There is no aftermarket shock made for the FS yet that I know of. I am considering buying GPM MT2 rear shocks that would be the correct length for the storm.

The exhaust is disconnected because the header is off waiting for a new gasket. There is no need to remove the engine to do that repair if you have a set of long allen wrenches.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:05 PM
BlindObject

Yeah...you have no clue how much of a pain it is if you don't......

>_>
Old 04-29-2009, 02:23 PM
nitro-rob

With my long integy tools (highly recommended) its as easy as doing it off the truck. Not the same case for the MT2 since the engine is mount is turned 90 degrees. I love the storm layout, its much more advance than the MT2.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:00 PM
cbr6fs

Those shocks are GPM and are intended for the rustler. They are 5mm shorter on the rear than the rustler but still seem to keep the truck level. There is no aftermarket shock made for the FS yet that I know of. I am considering buying GPM MT2 rear shocks that would be the correct length for the storm.

The exhaust is disconnected because the header is off waiting for a new gasket. There is no need to remove the engine to do that repair if you have a set of long allen wrenches.
Ok thanks.

If anything i'd prefer longer shocks as it tends to be very rocky here so a little extra ground clearance would be a great bonus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.