RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=- (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/5074112-%3Dofficial-hpi-firestorm-thread%3D.html)

djheptic 04-18-2007 04:46 PM

RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

ORIGINAL: aaront

After 12 tanks and some seriously good bashing at the local BMX track she is still running great. The only thing that has gone wrong was the exhaust bolts came loose allowing the manifold to come loose. New gastket and bolts and we are off again. This is after complete tear down, clean, and rebuild.
dang thats one sweet truck. I really want one but i need to shift my mt2 for the money. Is it a strong truck? and how did it handle on the bmx track

0x001A4 04-18-2007 06:31 PM

anybody else running really warm? i was running it around today in a wide open field so i was lettin it go WOT a couple times and the temps reached 280 :s The thing is, I havent even tuned the HSN yet.. I was working with the LSN today and now its running pretty good. But I get a lot of smoke when I open the throttle and its not the most responsive so I know its running really rich, but its still obsurdly hot. Another thing though is I'm running with an OS A3 glow plug which apparently is a hot plug, could this have anything to do with it?

What do you guys recommend to bring the temps down?

Oscardms 04-18-2007 06:35 PM

I thought you were supposed to tune the HSN first and then the LSN.

0x001A4 04-18-2007 06:47 PM

yeah but i needed to tune the LSN because it wasnt even running properly.. if I hit the throttle it would bog down at the high RPM range and then it would take a few seconds to slow back down to an idle. After tuning the LSN today it slow right down to idle like it should. But since its running so hot I didnt even want to touch the HSN without checking with someone who knew.. lol

Oscardms 04-18-2007 06:56 PM

Yeah but when you adjust the HSN, it also changes the LSN tune.

0x001A4 04-18-2007 08:08 PM

well that may be the case. but before i tuned the LSN my truck was not responsive at all. The LSN was way too rich. So when I tried to tune the HSN it just made it bog down that much faster. So I needed to tune the LSN first. I just want to know what you guys do to keep your engine temps down? Is the hot glow plug gonna make the engine run that much hotter?

dapro 04-18-2007 08:13 PM

try a medium plug

what fuel are you using, some fuels have higher amounts of oil which can screw with you, set the carb back to factory setting....

0x001A4 04-18-2007 08:36 PM

well im running with Byron fuel, 20% nitro and 16% lubrication.

dapro 04-18-2007 08:55 PM

try their race 2000 blend, stay away from the rtr blends, too much oil....I had to use wildcat 20% rtr blend with 18% oil and my motors all ran funny, I mean I was ready to smash a truck cause I couldn't get a good tune with all that oil, I only bought it cause the hobby shops fuel delivery was several days late and they had been bought out of fuel, big race weekend....I purchased trinity monster horsepower 30% with 12% oil and I really like, gives a great tune and I have stuck with it, use it everywhere...

give a quart of Byron Race 2000 a try and see how you like it, then you aren't out much, but do try a medium plug, with all my nitro experience I have a personal preference of McCoy glow plugs, also Dynamite plugs are McCoy

MC8 is Medium/Cold
MC9 is Cold
MC59 is Hot

I wont buy a os plug unless I have to, they don't last as long as McCoy

The traxxas #3232 plug is a good long lasting plug too

0x001A4 04-18-2007 09:20 PM

Ok well I will try a medium glow plug. I'll see what I can pick up at the hobby store tomorrow. But as for the fuels, I dont really have much of an option because the hobby store I go to pretty much specializes in airplanes and helicopters and they only carry one kind of car fuel. Which is the Byron fuel I mentioned above.

Ryszard99 04-19-2007 02:13 AM

http://youtube.com/profile?user=Rysz4rd

There is my firestorm!

paranoiasgotme 04-19-2007 06:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Oscardms

I got one of these and it still wouldn't fit. I just ended up using a straight flat headed screw driver and used the tip to push on the groove of the lsn at an angle.
Maybe you need a smaller version, mine gives perfect access.

:D

specialkb 04-19-2007 07:57 AM

I bought a fire storm this weekend from a guy that toasted the motor, and i was wanting to put a os .18 in it, should i be able to just pull my flywheel and clutch off and bolt it right up to this truck?

aaront 04-19-2007 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: djheptic

dang thats one sweet truck. I really want one but i need to shift my mt2 for the money. Is it a strong truck? and how did it handle on the bmx track

Thanks djheptic... It seems to be strong but being my first nitro I don't have anything to compare it to. It is very easy to tune, work on, and is very affordable. As far as the BMX track it jumps very level over some huge jumps. I haven't been to the local RC track yet but if it can handle the big jumps at the BMX track I'm sure it can handle the rc track. 20% dynamite blue thunder.

kyle9013 04-20-2007 12:39 PM

What makes the firestorm different from the Rc10gt?
im sure theres lots of stuff different between them.
what are some Pro's and cons? lots of people seem to like
the gt better, when i was looking through the forums
but i guess they have There opinions[&:]

Tru3Racing 04-20-2007 06:09 PM

Man oh man is HPI great! They sent me a COMPLETE new tranny for my firestorm. With spur, slipper, and everything. Awesome!!!!

hazegry1 04-20-2007 10:13 PM

yea HPI is a great company. I pulled the hump pack out of my FS tonight to put in my new turmoil buggy. Don't worry as soon as I can I am going to get another hump pack for the FS. You cant go wrong with the FS as a first nitro powered rc.

quadracer_82 04-21-2007 09:03 PM

quote:

ORIGINAL: quadracer_82

i am having trouble with my firestorm. i broke my starting spring. i got that replaced. on about the third pull, it started up. i had to adust my idle speed be cause it wanted to die. the it ran fine for a half a tank and then it died and now it wont start. any help?

quote:
Check the plug, if its ok then set all the needles back to factory, pull the air filter and check the idle screw gap, set it to 1mm or a little under 1/16....

Did you check the temp once it died, did you make sure the tank lid was sealed (pushed down)...I am very happy with this motor so far, very easy to tune, holds a tune...

i think the plug is okay. i already set all the needles back to factory and i took the air filter off. ive tried everything. im not quite for sure if my plug is okay though.

dapro 04-21-2007 09:58 PM

when in doubt, swap it out...hold the plug, and press it into the end of the glow igniter...if the whole coil glows bright then it might not be bad, if its dim, fails to light at all, or only half the coil glows then its bad....it happens, at least it happens to me if I run the motor too lean, other then that they last along time, that can give you an idea of how good of a tuner you are as well...

hbryan1991 04-22-2007 07:08 PM

do u have to use 20% nitromethane or could u use 15%

dapro 04-22-2007 07:11 PM

I know for a fact you can use 10% if wanted, needle settings will change, glow plug will need to change as well

hbryan1991 04-22-2007 07:15 PM

do u know what kind of glow plug i would need to change it to?

dapro 04-22-2007 07:40 PM

go with a hot plug....lower the nitro, hotter the plug

poe 04-22-2007 08:12 PM

Hi I have a few questions about the firestorm i wouldnt mind being answered.. First, How does it do in grass? Is 3-4 inch grass okay? Is it a 2 speed, and is it durable? Will I be satisfied if I am not a nooby and what would you estimate top spped at? Thanks for reading

dapro 04-22-2007 08:21 PM

durable yes
2 speed no
3-4 inch grass, you need different tires, its a low ground clearance truck, mine is less then 1 inch from the ground...but I race with mine, someone else might have a suspension setup that they have luck driving in tall grass
MPH 35 +...depenant on suspension, tires, ground type