Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

New Piedmont Focus 90/110

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 10:28 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Piedmont Focus 90/110

I'm getting this out for my friends Rusty and Dave: I'm sure that more info will be available very soon. Mike
The following info was provided to me from Rusty Dose:

Information:

Great news! An updated and optimized "Focus" for a .90 - 1.10 is in the works from Piedmont.

Based on the proven Focus design, Dave has integrated everything he has learned over the last five years into an airframe to be powered by a .90 to 1.10 4-stroke (prototype powered by YS 1.10) or a comparable 2-stroke.

The balsa and foam airframe features a state of the art wing and stab design, optimized force arrangement, updated cowl design, ...

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81482.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	593379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie97907.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	382.0 KB
ID:	593380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69126.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	593381  
Old 01-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Piedmont Focus 90/110

Guys,

Dave lives 20 minutes away from me and I got to see this airplane in person last week and it is awesome. We were supposed to fly it today, but got rained out. It's a really neat airplane, and has some very different ideas that the original Focus design had. This one is a bit more modernized and if it's anything like the Pimptation that Dave's been flying that is very similar, it should be awesome.

I imagine we'll fly it this week sometime. Stay tuned for more information on it on Piedmont's new website.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:16 AM
randy10926
My Feedback: (19)

Sweet. Looks great. Looks like a Brio wing to me.

Randy
Old 01-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Mike Wiz
My Feedback: (2)

Wow.... That looks fantastic. I'm glad to see so many .90/1.10 size pattern airframes becoming available these days.

Would it be a good candidate for electrification? The reason I ask is that I think it would make a nice replacement for my electrified Dream 110.

Wiz
Old 01-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Ryan Smith

Mike,

This airplane should be a great candidate for e-conversion. It's very open in the nose, in addition to being top access. You have a ton of room for batteries, but I believe you'll be on your own as far as a motor mount is concerned. You can dremel the crap out of the firewall to allow as much airflow as you need, and this airplane is rediculously light. The only electric setups with which I'm remotely familiar are the ones run in the 2m ships, but it sounds as if you have experience with a power system for something this size already. There's no final weight on it as of yet, because Dave has yet to finish putting everything in it 100%. It's 99.9% ready to go, the only thing holding it up is the final equipment installation and to make sure the motor can turn a propellor.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I'll give a flight report on it as soon as I can tickle the sticks.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:19 AM
Mike Wiz

Thanks, Ryan.

I like the fact that it has a pot access. My Dream 110 has to be flipped on it's back for battery changes.
Anyway, I look forward to reading the flight report....and seeing the airframe become available.

Cheers,

Wiz
Old 01-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Mike Wiz

Ryan,

For what it's worth, it's quite easy to electrify a plane this size. I use a Hacker C50 just like the 2M ships, but I use a hotter wind, C50-10XL and I use an 8S Lipo instead of a 10S like the 2M ships. This spins an APC 18x12E and it gives my 8lb 10oz airframe wonderful performance. I'd be very surprised if a Y.S. 1.10 powered plane would be as powerful.

I just thought I'd throw that info in this thread incase anyone was considering one of these planes but wanted an electric power system. I'm certain I could also power it with a more affordable outrunner and possibly a 6S lipo battery for a lighter, more cost effective solution. I really like the setup I have, however.

Wiz
Old 01-09-2007, 10:12 PM
cchariandy

Looks great!! Whats the dimensions and weight?

Colin
Old 01-09-2007, 11:01 PM
BERUSTY
My Feedback: (3)

Colin,

I will post dimensions in the next few days as well as an initial flight report.

Assuming all tests continue as expected, the prototype will be in Phoenix, AZ the week of February 19 - 25 for the Unofficial F3A Team practice session. Dave Guerin and myself have organized this event in conjunction with the Cave Creek Pattern Contest held on February 24 and 25th. (See Phoenix post in the "Pattern" section of RCU.)

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Old 01-10-2007, 12:31 AM
Ryan Smith

Colin,

The wingspan is 66" and the length is 72". The airplane hasn't been weighed yet, but it weighs nothing according to my finely calibrated hands.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:41 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Dave Guerin was telling me a few weeks ago about a new "Entry-level" design that he would have at the field soon. I'm assuming this it it. It looks very nice. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person, maybe this weekend.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Ryan Smith

Well, she flew today and it was absolutely incredible.

We still did not get the airplane on scales, but it would surprise me if it weighed much over seven pounds. I never went above 2/3 throttle for very long uplines. It flew very straight right off the board, the only adjustment that I believe will be needed will be a 1/4 turn on a wing adjuster. I fly a Partner, and it took me no time at all to get used to the airplane. It locks onto lines well, and it surprised me with how well it rolled. Snaps were very crisp and raduises tracked nicely. Something that also caught me offguard was knife edge was a rudder only event, in that there was absolutely no mixing to compensate for pitch. It wanted to roll out slightly, but no pitch coupling was noted whatsoever.

I just played around checking a few things, but Dave went through the P sequence with it and it certainly wasn't a detrimental to his performance.

We're supposed to fly it a little more this weekend, so we'll see if we can really fine tune it. I can't wait to play around with it more, it's got all the ingredients to be a real winner.

Reason for edit: Eye cant not spehl.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Mike Wiz

Sounds great, Ryan. I can hardly wait until they become available.

Thanks for the flight report!

Wiz
Old 01-11-2007, 05:37 PM
cchariandy

If it's less than 7# I can finally use my YS61ARs again!!

Colin
Old 01-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Ryan Smith

Just got an official weight - 7lbs, 10oz. I can assure you it's extremely lightweight.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:30 PM
BERUSTY
My Feedback: (3)

Piedmont Focus "Sport" update:

I talked to Dave Guerin on the way home from the office this evening to get the details on the design expectations, design elements and the initial flight tests.

Here are a few more of the specifics about the prototype which have not been posted:

Weight: 7 pounds 10 ounces
Motor: YS 1.10 with stock muffler with Hyde .90 - 1.10 "A" mount, with APC 13.5 x 12.5
Electronics: Futaba
9650's on elevator (2) mounted in rear of fuse
9650's ailerons (2)
9351 rudder
9101 throttle
NMP 2400mah battery and 5.4volt regulator (Central Hobbies)

Miscellaneous: Bolly gear and pants, Gator aluminum wing tube and sockets, wing uses rear adjusters with 1/4-20 bolt front.

The airplane incorporates the basic outline Focus II fuselage/fin and rudder with an updated fiberglass cowl, removable fiberglass canopy/top hatch and is constructed with balsa and foam.

The FLYING SURFACES ARE NOT FROM THE BRIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, the wing tips use the wind tunnel tested shape. The wings have been underdevelopment for several years. They were originally flown on a Focus II which was lost in an equipment malfunction and not pursued during the Piedmont transition. Dave has been testing the wings on a specially built "Temptation" he built for himself. Specifically, the new wing uses a new airfoil, planform, control surface area and location. It is a new wing, period.

The new force arrangement (higher wing and stab vs. thrustline) is based on the five year's of Focus's in the field. Additionally, the new locations (less dihedral) are expected to further reduce the normal coupling issues ANY airplane has such as knife edge...

The airplane is designed to offer entry level pilots an inexpensive solution to experience the flying characteristics of a well designed airplane that can be set-up and trimmed by virtually anyone to maximise the average experience. It is not designed to be flown by superstar pilot "X" in the finals at the NATS.

(Note: If you have never seen superstar pilot "x" fly, you should get on a plane or whatever and ask them to fly the worst looking model at the field and you WILL BE AMAZED. They can fly anything!)

The constuction materials and techniques are designed to make the model durable, repairable and last 500+ flights with the same basic characteristics. If it is manufactured, it will NOT be constructed of laser cut plywood puzzle pieces.

Three test flights have been completed on an engine with 5 total tanks of fuel (Redmax 25%) using the APC 13.5 x 12.5 (remember the first generation YS 1.20's...that was the prop...1988...)

Let's assume Dave read his set-up and trimming book and the CG was at the front edge of the wing tube (he always puts the wing tube here...engineers please get out your calculators), the wing had about 1/4 degree positive and the stab had 1/4 degree of negative. As expected, the initial "feel" was that of his familiar Focus's with a distinct groove, tracking and basic stability in pitch. The initial knife edge passes needed "imperceptable" amounts of pitch input. High alpha 45 degree positive, 25% throttle (purists cannot assume 25% stick position was actually 25% power!) knife edge passes required "imperceptable" pitch input. 500 foot down lines fine, up lines fine.

Ryan Smith had a chance to drive it around. Dave flew the p-07 pattern with it. Yes, a dial here and a change there will be needed. Both pilots were pleasantly surprised by the stump pulling power of the YS 1.10, which is about 3/4 of a turn "rich" to be tuned per instructions and required no idle fiddling out of the box.

Goal of a simple, highly adjustable, robust, precision aerobatic model on a limited budget...yes, met above expectations.

I hope Dave is able to bring it to Phoenix in February so I can fly it!

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance

Old 01-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Mike Wiz

Holly smoke, Rusty. That plane sounds fantastic, espcially the part about it being a "precision aerobatic model on a limited budget".

With it being as light as you say, I should have no trouble electrifying one with a 6S based power system.

Now I know I just gotta have one....

Cheers,

Wiz
Old 01-12-2007, 12:36 PM
cchariandy

This may make a great intro to Electric pattern. I have a great deal of fun with a couple electric backyarders and would love to go to a low budget pattern electric before making the plunge to 2M electric.

What would be the price of the airframe (unfinished or ARF) and can the Electric experts recommend appropriate set-ups?

Is there any plans to offer a electric version that may be a bit lighter with longer gear batt tray etc?

Colin
Old 01-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Ryan Smith

Colin,

Steve and Dave are sending off for a quote this week, so a final price has not been established. I know it will be competitively priced, however, as have been all of the Focii.

I honestly don't think that you can get much lighter than this, you'll have to see how the airplane is constructed. Neither Steve nor Dave are avid electric flyers, so I doubt that an electric only version would come about, mainly because it wouldn't be hard to modify the airplane what little you would need to. The fuse structure is very open in the front, and there are ample places to put batteries. The way that the firewall will be is such that they leave power options completely up to the builder, it is not going to be any more difficult to build this airplane with a two or four stroke, or electric.

Dave forgot his camera yesterday, otherwise we would have taken some more pictures of the airplane. We are scheduled for another boot camp session for me, and he'll have the airplane out, so between him grilling me to a crisp with the new sequence, we'll do some more testing on it and I imagine get some more detailed pictures, especially of the inside.

I konw it's hard for one to believe such a glowing report of an airplane, but this thing truly is off the hook. I was very taken aback by its flying characteristics. Having been flying European widebodies for a while now, it didn't feel much different really. This is amazing because it is a wooden box with rounded edges, as Dave put it, and it really makes you a believer in function over form. There is nothing fancy about this airplane in the least, but it can go toe to toe with anything in that class and I would say surpass them. I am not being compensated by Piedmont to say anything, nor am I under any obligation to do so. Dave is my coach and friend and has taken me under his wing and taught me a lot. I don't have any inordinate amount of involvement with this airplane, or with Piedmont itself, so I do truly believe that what I've said has been an accurate reflection of the airplane and its qualities. Granted neither of us has enough stick time on the airplane to have discovered all of the nuances of the design, but as of right now, it's a hell of an airplane, and it can only get better with time.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Jeff-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

What is the proposed timing on availability?
Old 01-12-2007, 04:06 PM
MHester

I might have to get me one of these [8D]

-Mike
Old 01-13-2007, 06:43 AM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Goal of a simple, highly adjustable, robust, precision aerobatic model on a limited budget...yes, met above expectations.
Arf or Kit? Where, when and how much?

I have been considering the Venus 2 (yes I mentioned that plane) as I want an entry level pattern plane. I need an ARF since the building board already has a HUGE project (GS -P51) on it. I flew a few pattern planes in the 40 size and really enjoyed them. I have a YS 110 that was bought just for the move to this size pattern plane.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:23 PM
rodney tanner

I knew there was some reason why I didn´t sell that YS 120NC.
Now we just have to wait and see what the definition of "budget price" is going to be ;-)
Old 01-14-2007, 12:14 AM
Ryan Smith

ORIGINAL: Ken Bryant

Arf or Kit? Where, when and how much?

I have been considering the Venus 2 (yes I mentioned that plane) as I want an entry level pattern plane. I need an ARF since the building board already has a HUGE project (GS -P51) on it. I flew a few pattern planes in the 40 size and really enjoyed them. I have a YS 110 that was bought just for the move to this size pattern plane.
Ken,

The Focus Sport will be available as an ARF, and if I'm not mistaken, it will also be available as an ARC, but don't hold me to that. It will be available directly through Piedmont Models, and possibly through Central, however, don't hold me to that either. Availability will be in the spring, the drawings are being sent off for a quote this week. How much will be determined closer to the release time, however I can assure you it will be competatively priced, as have been the previous releases of the Focus.

Attached are some pictures to prove to you how good we are with photoshop. Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43452.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	597395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91680.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	597396   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27532.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	597397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35215.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	597398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx23281.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	597399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gw28901.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	597400  
Old 01-14-2007, 12:31 AM
rainedave

Very nice. How did the wheel pants hold up there at Copperhead?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.