Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum - DX7

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Electriceddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum - DX7

Hi Guys,

Just got a new DX7. My question is how does it work with multiple receivers? I mean I have the one that came with the set. I want to but another one. How does one get another one? I know this may sound dumb, but if the receivers are all different then how do I go about getting one that will work with my Transmitter?

Thanks

Ed
Old 02-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spektrum - DX7

Is another identical receiver not available from the same source you bought your DX7 ?

Zor
Old 02-04-2011, 06:44 PM
g_mkoch

http://search.horizonhobby.com/index...d=12DF3B7BB78A
Old 02-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Cherokee Flyer

Have had good luck here: http://thebarnfloor.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=357

L.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:50 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

If I understand you correctly, you need to buy Rx's that are DSM2 from Spektrum or JR. Spektrum receivers, I would get AR7000's for mid size planes, and AR6200's for smaller planes.

What type of planes do you need the extra receivers for?
Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Electriceddie

Hi Guys,

Just got a new DX7. My question is how does it work with multiple receivers? I mean I have the one that came with the set. I want to but another one. How does one get another one? I know this may sound dumb, but if the receivers are all different then how do I go about getting one that will work with my Transmitter?

Thanks

Ed
As was mentioned, Spektrum has a wide variety of receivers to choose from. Buy as many as you need, install them in each aircraft, follow the Bind Process, and you are ready to go. There are even some low cost knockoff receivers, from Hobby King, that will work with your DX7.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:23 AM
Electriceddie

Hi Guys,

I guess I thought the question was easier. I first off won it in a raffle and its still in the bow. With all of my previous radios when you buy a receiver , you then buy the crystal that your radio is on. when buying a new DX7 receiver how do I but one that I know will work with the radio if they all are different freq's.? As for the type of plane it will be used in a Q-500 for 424, 426 and 428 pylon racing.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2011, 05:34 AM
Cherokee Flyer

The 2.4 systems which the DX7 is; do not use crystals, they work with cell phone technology. You should get the manual out and read it, it will answer many of your questions.

L.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:55 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Guys,

I guess I thought the question was easier. I first off won it in a raffle and its still in the bow. With all of my previous radios when you buy a receiver , you then buy the crystal that your radio is on. when buying a new DX7 receiver how do I but one that I know will work with the radio if they all are different freq's.? As for the type of plane it will be used in a Q-500 for 424, 426 and 428 pylon racing.

Thanks
With Spektrum 2.4 technology, you first choose a Model Memory in your Transmitter and then turn it off. Insert the Bind Plug into the Batt/Bind port on the Receiver. Turn on the power to your Receiver, and the lights on the Receiver will Blink. Next, you Depress and Hold the Bind Button on the back of the Transmitter. The lights on the Receiver will go Out and then come back On Solid. Turn off the power to the Receiver and then the Transmitter. The Receiver will now only accept a signal from your Transmitter and Model Memory. Follow this procedure for every model you want to fly.

When you turn on the Transmitter, it Scans the 2.4Ghz band for Free Channels. It picks two and locks them out so no one else can use them. Each time you turn the Transmitter Off and On, it goes through this same scenario. You do not have to worry about someone else shooting you down or you shooting down someone else. Just go fly.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Hi Guys,

Thanks
Well congrats on winning a new radio....

May I humbly suggest that there is a LOT you need to be aware of with the new system and it's not easily covered in a couple of responses from a single thread. How 'bout perusing the forums for a bit to help get you up to speed particularly on the electical system components and requirements?

Once you get a model in the air, you won't believe how much faster it will respond to control inputs. It's not a difficult proposition to make the transition and well worth it, but there are some caveats you need to be aware of.... [8D]
Old 02-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Electriceddie

Hi Bushbarber,

Thanks, that explains it a bit better.

While on the subject, is there a particular receiver that you or anyone else out there would recommend for use in Q-500 racing. I see that there are a few different ones. If your not familiar with the type we run enclosed is the following:

Engine allowed - Thunder Tiger Pro .40 w/ stock muffler. (424 class)
Airplanes - (Great Planes - Viper 500), Shotgun, Seeker, Hurrikane, Intimidator etc to name a few.

These planes in the 424 class travel around 110 to 120 mph. 426 and 428 anywhere between 140 to 165 mph and up.

Of course weight is always a big requirement to keep it down as light as possible.

Thanks

Ed
Old 02-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Electriceddie

Hi Zeeb,

Thanks for the info. Can you elaborate on what I need to be aware of? Is there a place or web site location that you would say actually has any value and truth to these types of issuse. Goeed info. is Great but bad info. can be a major issue id the info. is wrong. I'm sure you know what I mean.....LOL....

Tanks Again for the Info.

Ed
Old 02-05-2011, 08:57 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

I've had good luck with the AR7000 in my Q500 planes. 424, 426, and 428
Old 02-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Hi Zeeb,

Thanks for the info. Can you elaborate on what I need to be aware of? Is there a place or web site location that you would say actually has any value and truth to these types of issuse. Goeed info. is Great but bad info. can be a major issue id the info. is wrong. I'm sure you know what I mean.....LOL....

Tanks Again for the Info.

Ed
Well my favorite link for DX-7 information has been taken down by the gentleman who put it together as website maintenance/operation got too expensive for him to keep running and I've not found another I really like.

The number one issue people have had with this system is electrical power setups. It HAS to be good stuff 'cause these radios are a lot more "computer" than they've ever been and as such don't tolerate "best efforts", it will either work or it won't. That said, 6v systems are the preferred way to go although some of the glider types and folks such as yourself want to run 4.8v due to size/weight differences on the packs. Then there are issues with carbon fiber fuselages needing specific rx's to prevent shielding of the RF signal. The newer Spektrum rx's have either Flight Log capability in the AR7000's or the smaller ones have red lights that will flash to indicate frame losses or holds, essentially telling you the quality of the RF link with the model; suggest some time spent on various Horizon webpages addressing how this works and that you take the suggestions and use 'em.

There are some big threads on the DX-7 in various forums including here, suggest you start with those and I'd go from the back forward as they've been around a long time and some information has changed since the release of the system, the biggest one being the Quick Connect firmware and power brownout indications.

As to which of the posts are good information and which are bad; I think a person can usually tell if you read enough in the threads, who knows what they're talking about and who is just repeating what they've read on the Internet or possibly had a bad experience attributed to the radio but actually a result of operator error.

Hope that helps get you going along with what the other guys have already contributed...
Old 02-05-2011, 06:07 PM
scooterinvegas

While on the subject, is there a particular receiver that you or anyone else out there would recommend for use in Q-500 racing. I see that there are a few different ones.
AR7000 came with your DX7. Thats the one I would use.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:16 PM
tacx

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Ed

You need to be a little clearer. What exactly are you asking?

Are you trying to operate two recievers at the same time with your DX7?

Or are you asking about buying another reciever that works with your DX7?
Old 02-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Electriceddie

Hi Tacx,

I have several planes which I will need new receivers for if I switch over to this new system. Since there was no Crystal for channel I was confused . When I buy new receivers for all my planes I was trying to ask if there was anything special I needed to look for when I buy them, because I was not aware of how the freq. was set up with these receivers. I have since started to (at least I think I have) learn how these radios get set up with this Modelmatch.

Any additional info. is always welcome.

Thanks

Ed