Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Nomadio FULL Range 2.4Ghz aircraft radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Wreno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nomadio FULL Range 2.4Ghz aircraft radio

I agree. By the way, the reason I am so looking forward to this radio is a surface use - Radio Control Model Warship Combat (my particular flavor is 1/144 scale Big Gun). In fact, we just had our national event, the North American Big Gun Open, NABGO, last week. If you are interested, there are some pics at: [link=http://rcwarships.org/egroupware1.4/gallery/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=2403]rcwarships.org/egroupware1.4/gallery/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=2403[/link]

and an introductory article from Servo magazine at: [link=ftp://[email protected]/servo20051rcmw.pdf][email protected]/servo20051rcmw.pdf[/link]

Cheers,

Wreno
Old 07-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Wreno

Just wondering if there are any updates on features/availability/release dates on the new stick radios. Haven't noticed Karlton posting since the end of January. I sure hope we are getting close, but need to know when/how to start budgeting.

Of course, if you are looking for Beta testers, Kalton, drop me a line...

Wreno
Old 08-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Julez

Hi!

I would like to have integrating timers.
Nowadays, one can only switch timers "on" or "off". This is not sufficient when it comes to judging the remaining engine runtime.
I would like a menu where one can enter the battery capacity, and assign different currents to different stick positions. The radio's computer connects these points to a graph internally, and calculates the remaining battery power by integrating the time and the position of the throttle stick.

Perhaps, when using current sensors and telemetry, the radio could be self- learning.

The same could work with gas engines, when one knows how much gas an engine needs in each throttle stick position.

These timers should not reset when one switches the radio off, as one does not neccesarily discharge the battery in one flight without a break.

Also, a total flight time timer should be there, which counts the time each model memory is active.

Also, a counter for the selections of each model would be useful, as one would rougly know how many flights one has. One should be able to manipulate this timer manually, when one wants to do more than one flight without switching the radio off in between.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:20 PM
onewasp

----and a Red Ryder BB Gun, and a Pony, and a Schwinn Knee-Action and a-----------
Old 08-06-2007, 10:51 PM
bentgear

Unless they can use something they have developed under government contract with just a few changes I predict that it will be 2009 before they make it to market with a radio for air use.

Ed M.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:05 PM
Wreno

They claimed fall. If they are able to use the Multiplex cases and the electronics they have already developed, I don't see why there would be that big a delay. After all the base electronics package already had all most of the abilities claimed for the new multi-channel dual-stick radios suitable for air, heli, and R/C Model Warship Combat, and battlebots.

Wreno
Old 08-07-2007, 07:30 AM
onewasp

Rather interesting that we haven't had a post from Karlton (Nomadio Sales) since-----May 5th.

What's your 'read' on that?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:23 AM
bentgear

I think Karlton took some time off for personal/health reasons. He pops up from time to time on the Nomadio site.

Ed M.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Wreno

May also be busy trying to get the bugs worked out of the new system. After all, he did mention it had been tried in the Cockpit box to see how it worked. Hopefully his health is going OK. I, for one, plan to keep him in my prayers.

Cheers,

Wreno
Old 09-08-2007, 08:31 AM
Wreno

Hmmm, this used to be a pretty active thread. No posts in the last month. I wonder how the new aircraft/stick radio is coming?

Wreno
Old 09-08-2007, 11:50 AM
JRexA

On support.nomadio.net there recently was a post about that Nomadio is concentrating on a large order for a new generation of military grade RC.

When this is done, they likely have a new generation ready for Hobby grade also, and then they hopefully releases their Full Range radio systems.
I have decided to stop waiting, and go for the Futaba 6EX, for my imidiate needs (Walkera 3D heli + indoor beginner plane).

When I progress beyond what the Futaba can be used for, then I hope that Nomadio has their systems ready to fly.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:27 PM
RVM

A big military order is a good thing. There is nothing like the military and times of war to fund and advance technology. Hopefully when they release their new radios for us they'll be even better.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:22 PM
mikehannah

Hi
Does anyone know if they have got any further with there full range radio?

M
Old 05-26-2008, 03:51 PM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: mikehannah

Hi
Does anyone know if they have got any further with there full range radio?

M
Since it has been over one year since Karlton made a post here I think you've got your answer.
The market desires have been answered and new allegiances formed by fliers-in other words the "easy pickings" are over.

But that is simply an opinion and I believe that is all you will ever get as I cannot see any benefit in Nomadios comment one way or the other. It would not help them one iota but it could hurt them.

Therefore, silence.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:24 PM
seattle_helo
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, this thing seemed to loose steam a while ago. It could have been an interesting option.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:49 AM
mikehannah

Hi
Personnally I think the 2.4 market has only just begun. We now have the bandwidth to do so much more including getting information back from the plane not just transmitting to it. For all flyers advanced warning of low power would be a boone. As would engine temp/ rotor speed in Heli flyers. Fuel usage levels for Turbine flyers ,Power pack levels for electric flyers the list goes on. I thought this was the area of the market that Nomadia intended to hit so in my opinion the steam is far from out of the sector. It has only just begun for the company with the forsight and the vision to take the next step the rest cant be bothered taking as they are basically happy selling us the same old rope all be it with a slightly fancier finish.

Mike
Old 05-27-2008, 11:05 AM
onewasp

mikehannah

You have made an adequate case for your position. It is simply that I do not agree.

I have flown for the best part of 50 years_____Pattern. (no longer competitively)
The LAST thing I need/want is a 'bit' of information regarding the A/C systems performance (something 50 years has taught me to take care of before the take off roll).
All that will do is interrupt my concentration on keeping the A/C true.

The military has realized that information overload is not kind to either Pilots or A/C or attack/defense and they have been paring back (starting with the F-15 ) on such inputs. Though I am long since out of date on the extent of this effort.

To bolster my argument (there is little hope of convincing you or vice-versa) take a look at the panel in a current full scale unlimited class aerobat and tell me what you see?

VDL (or very damn little).

When in a sequence you are committed. There is neither time nor altitude enough to deal with "maybe" error inputs.
For all practical purposes the die is cast. If you can't fly it out (for what ever reason) you are done as things are happening too quickly.

You mention Heli's, just where in the sequence do you have time to do anything other than react ?
On a transport yes.
On an aerobat no.

On full scale I have heard multiple alarms go off nearly simultaneously_____thank God the co-pilot could ID each of them as everyone else was too busy to hear anything other than the stall warning (which it was not, it was multiple shorts caused by the nose gear's high pressure hydraulic fluid spraying everything in sight during retraction).

We flew it back to the ground because at 800 feet there were not a lot of choices.
Last line______luck, pure and simple!

As I stated you have made a decent case-I'm simply not interested in the potential.

If you want a 'read out' after the flight, fine but do not distract me during one because that just MIGHT create a real emergency !

Edit addition:
Perhaps the most palatable resolution to the differing opinions is the generational difference.
It is truly extreme.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:14 AM
seattle_helo

Mike, those would be nice features in a well done comprehensive radio system. But, of course, all of that is also available right now with the data logging and telemetry devices from EagleTree. And, thinking about it some more, from a safety perspective I prefer a separate option (at least frequency wise) so that we run 2.4Ghz for RC guidance and use 900Mhz for the data telemetry.

I do agree that 2.4Ghz is going to become the de facto standard for RC and that the market is still very young. I'm sure new and better systems will emerge with time and maybe even quite soon. Maybe even the Nomadio skunk works will debut a killer system after all. We'll see.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:42 PM
kryptonite

ORIGINAL: seattle_helo

Mike, those would be nice features in a well done comprehensive radio system. But, of course, all of that is also available right now with the data logging and telemetry devices from EagleTree.
I wish this was true - but in their infinite wisdom, Eagletree does not relay mAH information back from their telemetry module. THis is one set of info that I sorely miss when I fly 3D as I'd like to know how much juice is left on the battery. mAh consumed is measured by the very useful and capable data logging MicroLogger - but the MicroLogger is not compatible with their real-time telemetry module! Go figure.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:56 PM
seattle_helo

A future firmware/software update would solve that. It's certainly possible, and I agree it would be useful.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:28 AM
RVM

I have to agree wtih onewasp. While I certainly like the ability to get the information and have it available, I definitely do not need it while flying. The only thing I'd really like is a fuel and power guage, truth be told. The rest can have their own alarms and whatnot but unless it's a warning klaxon for a missile approaching I don't really need it. If I currently had the money to fly I think I'd still be perfectly happy with my JR 9303.

ORIGINAL: onewasp

mikehannah

You have made an adequate case for your position. It is simply that I do not agree.

I have flown for the best part of 50 years_____Pattern. (no longer competitively)
The LAST thing I need/want is a 'bit' of information regarding the A/C systems performance (something 50 years has taught me to take care of before the take off roll).
All that will do is interrupt my concentration on keeping the A/C true.

The military has realized that information overload is not kind to either Pilots or A/C or attack/defense and they have been paring back (starting with the F-15 ) on such inputs. Though I am long since out of date on the extent of this effort.

To bolster my argument (there is little hope of convincing you or vice-versa) take a look at the panel in a current full scale unlimited class aerobat and tell me what you see?

VDL (or very damn little).

When in a sequence you are committed. There is neither time nor altitude enough to deal with "maybe" error inputs.
For all practical purposes the die is cast. If you can't fly it out (for what ever reason) you are done as things are happening too quickly.

You mention Heli's, just where in the sequence do you have time to do anything other than react ?
On a transport yes.
On an aerobat no.

On full scale I have heard multiple alarms go off nearly simultaneously_____thank God the co-pilot could ID each of them as everyone else was too busy to hear anything other than the stall warning (which it was not, it was multiple shorts caused by the nose gear's high pressure hydraulic fluid spraying everything in sight during retraction).

We flew it back to the ground because at 800 feet there were not a lot of choices.
Last line______luck, pure and simple!

As I stated you have made a decent case-I'm simply not interested in the potential.

If you want a 'read out' after the flight, fine but do not distract me during one because that just MIGHT create a real emergency !

Edit addition:
Perhaps the most palatable resolution to the differing opinions is the generational difference.
It is truly extreme.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Mr. Mugen

Did this radio ever get released? I ended up buying a 12FG but would love the idea of having one of these. Been a while since I read the thread.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:17 PM
bentgear

It seems Nomadio has let the hobby end of the business stagnate and its my feeling there will not be a revival. Been a long time since they have updated or released anything for the ground end of their radios, and there are still many promises laying on the table for them.

Ed M.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Mr. Mugen

Bummer! I need a new wheel for my sensor and can't find one anywhere so far. Tower used to have a bunch of them and now that I need one they are not listed. I wish I would have bought a futaba from the start. I love the telemetry but if they are under then what good is it?
Old 10-13-2008, 09:06 PM
bentgear

Futaba wheel will fit the Sensor. Call Scott at Nomadio for other parts, he may just be able to come up with them for you. You might want to check out the Nomadio forums on thier website. A company has its own thread on there that makes replacement aluminum steering shafts. #1 failure point on the Sensor.

Ed M.