Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Old 02-25-2009, 01:07 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

The new May 2009 issue of Fly RC has an announcement concerning the upcoming 9-channel 2.4Ghz Hitec Aurora radio system. The Aurora transmitter will offer advanced programing and mixing for aircraft, sailplanes, and helicopters as well as assignable switches, customizable menus, and 30 model memory all standard. The Aurora is also reported to be backward compatible with FM/PPM modulation as well as Hitec's QPCM standard using Hitec's Spectra Pro frequency synthesis module.

Hitec's website is projecting June 2009 availability:

http://www.hitecrcd.com/transmitters/show?name=Aurora+9

Hitec's website also lists an upcoming 7-channel module and receiver package for upgrading existing 72Mhz Hitec radios:

http://www.hitecrcd.com/receivers/sh...Optima+7+Combo

Hitec will apparently be joining Futaba and Airtronics in offering a frequency hopping spread spectrum system, and basic telemetry functionality will be included with the system including low receiver battery warning and range-out warning.

It looks like official pricing will have to wait until a little closer to the June 2009 launch. Hitec mentions "affordable" and "competitive price" as key features of these new products, so it will be interesting to see where they come to market.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32274.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	1144324  
Old 02-25-2009, 09:56 AM
skeeter_ca

Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Wonder when the price will be released.

skeeter
Old 02-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Edwin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've already bought spektrum. Been working fine for me for the last 2 years. So I guess I'm not interested. I wish they would all standardize receivers. Probably not much chance of that happening.
Edwin
Old 02-25-2009, 02:25 PM
djlyon

No chance of that. They all use different processor architectures and architectures are like pet rocks, hard to give up.

Denis
Old 02-26-2009, 03:25 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

It looks like the street price is going to be at or around $429.99 for the TX and 7 channel RX (2.4ghz) and $449.99 with the 9 channel Rx. We are shooting for July/August delivery with the 7 CH RX and then 1-2 months later the 9 channel and smaller 6 channel RX's will be available.

The Spectra 2.4Ghz module used is the same that will be available for the Optic and Eclipse, although it connects through the Aurora digitally so there is no added latency. It will also be able to use the Spectra Pro module to synthesize any 72mhz channel (USA.) You will, however, need to change to the appropriate antenna depending on the freq. band you want to use.

Compare the Aurora to the JR 9303 and Futaba 10C which cost substantially more!

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Mike.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:59 PM
LaCerne
My Feedback: (16)

How will it compare to my 10X? The touch-screen looks really nice.

Thanks
Larsen
Old 02-26-2009, 05:33 PM
taildragger21
My Feedback: (197)

I just sold my x9303 jr and bought a new futaba 12fg.. I wish it had a touch screen,telemetry, and backlight. Been a lot cheaper too.. Wish I knew this was coming out then.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:02 AM
mcdonald77

After researching the available information I see it scans the channels,. but does it actively hop channels all the time like futaba or does it do something else? I am a little confused. I need to purchase a new radio and this looks pretty cool, but I was interested in the optic 6 but held off because of some of the issues I read about. I thought about buying Optic 6 and then this one later. that way I have a radio to use during my set ups of new models.

Any input would be appreciated. I know for every one bad post you read about a product there are 1000's who have had no problems.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:35 AM
BuschBarber

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the Aurora has not been released, it is difficult to determine how it works and how it will hold up. Visit the Toledo Expo, in April, and hold one in your hand. There may be some on this list who have Beta Tested one, if Hitec does that.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:11 AM
mcdonald77

Like Rich said,

there's got to be some beta testers around. GIVE US THE SCOOP!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:47 PM
GutZee

I see a future where these new TRANSCEIVERS will be able to feed back all types of stats including fuel level, engine temp, altitude, ect. It's new age in R/C. Looks like a great product.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:43 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

The Tx looks really good, but coming so late in the game with a choice of only 2 receivers they're gonna need all the help they can get.

Unless the product is far superior to Spektrum and Futaba and there are NO initial teething issues that both Spektrum & Futaba have already gone through it won't be easy to get a share of the 2.4G market...

But again I could be wrong
Old 03-19-2009, 01:48 PM
MikeMayberry

LaCerne- It looks to be on par with the 10X as far as capabilities.

taildragger21- Ebay!

mcdonald77- It hops between 20 channels.

vasek - It's actually three receivers (6, 7 & 9) that should cover everything but the tiniest planes. Yes, we're late to the dance but I just have this feeling that we are going to steal the show!

After playing with this radio more and more, I realized that when I said, feature wise, it compared to the 9303 and 10C that I short changed it... it's actually closer to the $800 12FG! Oh... but with a backlit touchscreen and telemetry!

Mike.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:12 PM
XJet
Banned

Mike, it sounds like a great product but can you tell is whether it's had more testing than the Optic 6 did before it was released?

Almost all the major manufacturers have had serious problems with their 2.4GHz systems and Hitec's record of software/hardware "issues" on new releases is far from perfect. Has this been taken into account when devising and implementing a testing regime for this system?

How long has it been in *actual use* by testers (ie: regularly flown in a wide variety of models and environments) prior to release?
Old 03-19-2009, 04:36 PM
skorp_jon

One question for HITEC stuff.

Will it be possible to select STICK MODE 4 in menu. If i buy MODE 2 then it should be simple to change to mode4. Only ailerons and rudder are changed. Please make that function in software. Here in europe futaba, graupner, multiplex have that function in their transmiters.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:55 PM
MikeMayberry

XJet- The 2.4ghz system has been extensively tested for over a year now in Korea and a few months in the USA along side all major brands. We are very confident in the technology.

Skorp jon- Mode's 1,2,3& 4 are selectable defaults, and if that's not good enough you can customize your own mode to suit your needs.

Mike.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:49 PM
skorp_jon

Thank's Mike mode4 is good enough for me.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:54 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry
XJet- The 2.4ghz system has been extensively tested for over a year now in Korea and a few months in the USA along side all major brands. We are very confident in the technology.
Good news Mike, I look forward to [link=http://rcmodelreviews.com]Reviewing it[/link] when it hits the stores.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:54 AM
bigedmustafa

I think current RC pilots give too much weight to "first to market" because they think once they've bought something that is the end of it. Spektrum/JR beat everybody to market with regard to 2.4Ghz air radios by a year or more. They have a very diverse product line and a very large variety of receivers and accessories available.

In spite of what has been perceived as Spektrum/JR's "insurmountable" lead, Futaba and Airtronics have been slowly but steadily gaining marketshare and increasing their product lines. Hitec is getting ready to enter the 2.4Ghz air radio marketplace with an extremely strong offering as well as upgrade paths for existing Hitec owners. Hobby Lobby just started promoting the new Jeti lineup of modules and receivers. We're even seeing competition in the lowest price segments from various Chinese manufacturers like Hobby King, Corona, and ESky.

If getting first to market were truly that important, we would all have been flying Kraft or Ace radio systems. Hitec has an opportunity to offer a strong 2.4Ghz FHSS radio system to all of the thousands of future RC flying enthusiasts who will be getting into the hobby for the first time over the next several years. There is also a significant percentage of RC pilots currently in the hobby who still haven't made the switch from 72Mhz FM. To them, Hitec is a trusted brand that is known for quality and value.

I think Mike may not be too far off the mark about being late to the dance but still having the ability to steal the show. The Aurora radio system looks like a very solid product offering with a tremendous number of features for its price. If Hitec RCD follows through with solid marketing and customer service efforts, there will still be plenty of customers available for them to claim as their own.

The nice thing about owning JR/Spectrum DSM2 radio equipment is there are plenty of prospective buyers out there when you decide to sell your stuff for something better.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:30 AM
BuschBarber

Very well said!! The more competition in the RC Radio market, the quicker the prices come down.

One of the differences with 2.4 is that whatever brand you pick, you are locked into that brand as there are no 3rd party offerings. I have used Futaba and JR, for years, but many times, I bought Hitec Rx's instead of JR or Futaba, because they were just as reliable and they cost less. Once I started using PCM, I realized that other manufacturers PCM Rx's were not compatible.

For that reason, when I decided to transition to 2.4, I chose JR/Spektrum, because, at the time, they made it easier. If I wanted to go with any other mfg's 2.4 system, I would have to either dump my JR/Spektrum systems, use another mfg's Module and Rx, or have two brands of Radios.

I am sure that anyone starting from the beginning, could choose JR/Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics, or any of the other competing brands, obtain reliable, quality equipment. As usual, it will come down to Price, Features, Look and Feel, Range of Products, Reliability, and Service after the Sale.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:33 AM
teamqball

heard it has 4096 resolution is this true?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:58 PM
BuschBarber

I do not believe so. I think 2048 is the standard for JR and Futaba, for now.
I may be wrong about the new Hitec Tx.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:42 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Very well said!! The more competition in the RC Radio market, the quicker the prices come down.

One of the differences with 2.4 is that whatever brand you pick, you are locked into that brand as there are no 3rd party offerings. I have used Futaba and JR, for years, but many times, I bought Hitec Rx's instead of JR or Futaba, because they were just as reliable and they cost less. Once I started using PCM, I realized that other manufacturers PCM Rx's were not compatible.

For that reason, when I decided to transition to 2.4, I chose JR/Spektrum, because, at the time, they made it easier. If I wanted to go with any other mfg's 2.4 system, I would have to either dump my JR/Spektrum systems, use another mfg's Module and Rx, or have two brands of Radios.

I am sure that anyone starting from the beginning, could choose JR/Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics, or any of the other competing brands, obtain reliable, quality equipment. As usual, it will come down to Price, Features, Look and Feel, Range of Products, Reliability, and Service after the Sale.
I have a feeling that in the next two to three years we are going to start to see 3rd party equipment that will work with any 2.4 system in fact Spktrium has
had a module receiver set for Futaba for a couple of years and lets not forget XPS, I think its only a matter of time before we start to receivers that will work
with a different brand of transmitter.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Jim Holloman

Does the Auroa have a simple, easy to use, Throttle Lock button like the Optic 6?
Old 05-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Alex7403

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consumers protest, not buying, not buying, not buying.

Never had a hitec before only futaba's, as I noticed the hitec systems were cheaper then the rest, dont know about reliability.

You are all forgetting very important point and that is the price of the receivers.
while the Tx is one time investment and its painful only once the Rx is painful point every time I think of getting a new airplane.

I got Futaba 2.4 6EX and now its $100 for a receiver, I have three 72 MHz receivers and I'm not buying anything until that price will go way down.
Please look at it as a bundle Tx, Sx's, Rx's, wires, switches.

Alex

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.